Votes: 48 27.9%
  • Flip Saunders

Votes: 45 26.2%
  • Shaka Smart

Votes: 30 17.4%
  • Other

Votes: 49 28.5%

• Total voters
I guess I am one of the last ones who feels this way, but I'm still hoping Tubby turns things around and makes a strong run THIS year and then builds on it for next year.

That said, I'm not sure it is fair to compare Shaka's VCU team directly with Tubby's B1G Minnesota team. Any halfway decent recruiter should be able to get much better players at Minnesota than VCU.

If Shaka came here and put a team with VCU level talent on the court, then yeah, he would probably be a failure. I don't think that would happen though.

I think he would convince at least some of the in-state talent to stay at home, would find some other strong players from outside the state and would wind up having a good deal of success here.

Originally Posted by Parski1
Gopher will lose 3 of last 4?? I can't wait to say "I told you so"!

Flip the coach?? LOL you're a funny guy station18.

DL is by far the best poster!

I BELIEVE...we will make a run in the Big Ten and NCAA Tourney...and...Tubby will be back. We played well on the road @ Atlantis. Look for it again.

how bout them apples?

I think its Tubby Smith.

But only for money reasons. If he didn't have the extension and the ridiculous buyout clause, he'd be gone.

In other words, we're stuck with Tubby unless Teague decides to cash in. Don't think the pres. will sign off on that one, so its Tubbyball for another year.

I think its Tubby Smith.

But only for money reasons. If he didn't have the extension and the ridiculous buyout clause, he'd be gone.

In other words, we're stuck with Tubby unless Teague decides to cash in. Don't think the pres. will sign off on that one, so its Tubbyball for another year.

If we pay the next coach 1.5 million per year, couldn't we eventually save money even with the buyout? I don't think the buyout is as big of a deal as people are making it out to be, unless we end up paying the next coach the same amount we're paying Tubby. Either way, money shouldn't be the determining factor.

I don't see any way that Norwood hires Flip. He's going to go after someone he knows has the fire/hunger to hit the recruiting trail hard. That likely means someone younger than Flip, with Shaka likely topping the list. Obviously, it's more likely that the coach will be "other" than any one particular coach.

The football program tried this approach already and look where that got us. He was a disaster for the program.

If we pay the next coach 1.5 million per year, couldn't we eventually save money even with the buyout? I don't think the buyout is as big of a deal as people are making it out to be, unless we end up paying the next coach the same amount we're paying Tubby. Either way, money shouldn't be the determining factor.

I agree that it shouldn't be a determining factor, but I have a feeling it will be.

But as a counterpoint, Teague had no problem giving UNC healthy check to cancel the football series, so it's possible that money isn't the factor that I think it is.

How much does the buyout go down a year from now? We can talk about $2.5 million all day, but if it only goes down to $2 million, we're really talking about $500K. They can't and won't simply keep until his contract runs out. College sports doesn't work that way. There will almost certainly be a buyout, whenever the change comes. The only question is how big it is.

I think its Tubby Smith.

No business signs a contract with an employee if they aren't willing to abide by the contract. This means that the U of MN agreed to the 2.5 million buyout and was willing to spend the money if it deemed necessary. The buyout should not be an issue in choosing whether to fire or retain Tubby Smith. The issue is whether Tubby is our best option or if a new coach will improve the basketball program. The buyout is not, or should not be, a factor.

How much does the buyout go down a year from now? We can talk about $2.5 million all day, but if it only goes down to $2 million, we're really talking about $500K. They can't and won't simply keep until his contract runs out. College sports doesn't work that way. There will almost certainly be a buyout, whenever the change comes. The only question is how big it is.

I have heard more than once that the buyout is the same next year. No financial incentive to wait.

No business signs a contract with an employee if they aren't willing to abide by the contract. This means that the U of MN agreed to the 2.5 million buyout and was willing to spend the money if it deemed necessary. The buyout should not be an issue in choosing whether to fire or retain Tubby Smith. The issue is whether Tubby is our best option or if a new coach will improve the basketball program. The buyout is not, or should not be, a factor.

As I stated earlier, you may well be correct and I completely agree that it shouldn't be an issue. But if we follow the U's pattern in these cases, they almost always go on the cheap. And when they don't, it's almost always because of a horrific mistake by an incompetent AD (Maturi). Then again, maybe Teague will make a move regardless. We'll just have to wait and see.

The buyout is 2.5 this year, 2.5 next year and 2.0 in 2015.

Go Gophers!!

Simply put, the Gopher program doesn't have another year. The Big Three instate recruits will not wait and can't possibly be looking favorably at a Tubby coached team. The Gophs need to pick a new coach that The Big Three do look upon with favor.

Say ... just hypothetically ... how about an ex-Gopher player and a coach who has the highest career regular season winning percentage for two different NBA teams (.558 for the Twolves and .715 for the Pistons).

If the University did not factor in the use of the buyout, then the University is very poorly run, which I do not believe to be true. Then, if the University did know how much it could afford to buy out Smith, then we can afford it now.

Flip seems to be the right fit going forward. If they fired Smith just before the tourney and hired Flip, the timing couldn't be better.

Top Bottom