Votes: 48 27.9%
  • Flip Saunders

Votes: 45 26.2%
  • Shaka Smart

Votes: 30 17.4%
  • Other

Votes: 49 28.5%

• Total voters
Pastner? Is that a rumor or something? Or just a shot in the dark? I feel like there's no way he'd be coming here.

I voted Tubby. I am a Tubby-apologist, but I think he's lost even me. But I still think he's the likeliest bet to be our coach next year.

I'm holding out hope for Lionel Hollins.

Why isn't Monson an option?

Because Monson was a lousy recruiter. Monson however, was a much better floor coach and much more energetic then Tubby is today. BTW- Monson is on his way to his third straight conference title. If he hadn't already had his chance people would be discussing him as a future high D1 coach.

The same reason we cant replace you with Skip Bayless (which would be an improvement).

That reason is? Wait how am I like Skip Bayless? Edit: I promise I will not post on this board until the Gophers season is over. I will keep my promise unlike Moses87.

I posted a link in another thread. However, Norwood Teague just hired Beth Goetz as an assistant AD. She was working at Butler. She got rave reviews from Brad Stevens for her work with the Butler men's basketball team. Could Mr. Teague be positioning for a run at Brad Stevens?

If we don't get Shaka if tubby leaves, then I would love Gregg Marshall at Wichita State. That guy is one helluva a coach no matter where he has been

I posted a link in another thread. However, Norwood Teague just hired Beth Goetz as an assistant AD. She was working at Butler. She got rave reviews from Brad Stevens for her work with the Butler men's basketball team. Could Mr. Teague be positioning for a run at Brad Stevens?

Not gonna happen. Butler will likely join the Catholic 7 and will then essentially be in a major conference. No need for him to even consider a team like Minnesota. He'll stay at butler until Coach K calls it quits, or if another Blue Blood program opens up.

From an article in Bleacher Report, describing Shaka Smart:

"He’s an energetic coach whose personality has rubbed off on his VCU players all throughout his 3-year tenure in Richmond. His teams play with swagger and a full-court defensive tenacity not seen every day on the collegiate level."

I believe Tubby's personality has rubbed off on his players, also, but in their case, certainly not for the better.

I said it last year. Here's a repeat...

Tubby needs to go. The Kentucky fans were correct. He isn't all that he is said to be. No really competitive teams in the B!G. For those of you who think that things are just fine need to take a mental break from the past, present and future and get over your mystical thinking. Tubby has too tight of control on the team. They need more dynamic coaching that thrives on planning for more than yesterday's game.

What I am really not happy about is every time we get close to really knowing how mediocre a coach is, some nut job gives the coach a long extension under the guise of 'necessity', just when the fans really get close to hanging the coach in effigy. Of course, I blame the fans in this state for not wanting to terminated mediocrity over their man crush with fame. To be honest, I thought getting Tubby was fantastic, until his plane landed on the tarmac. Then, it was prove your reputation time. 6 miserable years proves how badly he has managed the task at hand.

I don't want to fire Tubby, I want to see him look for his own out. Maybe he would like to see the SEC and warmer weather. He needs to find a reason to leave at the end of this season.

I'll wait until next year before I comment again on whether he should stay or go. No point in trying to make more of this situation than necessary.

I will give you all some insight into my true feelings about Tubby Smith.

The best case scenario from now until the end of May, would be for Tubby Smith to lead the Gophers to an NCAA Title, followed up by his garnering the #1 recruiting class by getting the Big 3, followed up by some uber millionaire donating 15 mil for a new practice facility, followed up by Tubby's having a press conference to announce he's retiring on top. Followed up by the U announcing a jaw dropping new bb coaching hire that makes every young high school basketball player ask the guestion, "Hey, where is Minnesota" and then say, "hey mom, go down to the salvation army and pick me up some winter clothes, I'm taking a recruiting trip to some place up in the Frozen Tundra called MinnySoda"

The best case scenario from now until the end of May, would be for Tubby Smith to lead the Gophers to an NCAA Title, followed up by his garnering the #1 recruiting class by getting the Big 3, followed up by some uber millionaire donating 15 mil for a new practice facility, followed up by Tubby's having a press conference to announce he's retiring on top. Followed up by the U announcing a jaw dropping new bb coaching hire that makes every young high school basketball player ask the guestion, "Hey, where is Minnesota" and then say, "hey mom, go down to the salvation army and pick me up some winter clothes, I'm taking a recruiting trip to some place up in the Frozen Tundra called MinnySoda"

Ah someone is a small man about the state he lives in, sounds like an acceptance of mediocrity to me. I wonder if Bo Ryan thinks this way in tropical Wisconsin?

see if Tubby can right the ship????

It's a Canival cruise liner

Need the young cool and confident Shaka Smart.. Flip is washed up and has nothing to lose....so would just be more of the same.....make Shaka an offer he can't refuse!!!!

Where is all the money going to come from to pay off Tubby and hire this new coach?

Gene Hackman, but he'll need a new assistant. Shooter passed away, I believe.

I`m hoping Saul sticks around, with what he`s accomplished with the guards

Tubby will either choose to retire or he will accept another job elsewhere after this season. I don't think that Teague will have to fire him. Tubby saw the writing on the wall at Kentucky and left. He see's the writing on the wall here at Minnesota so he'll leave. In fact, I would expect Teague to look for and provide Tubby a graceful way out. At least, I hope that is the way it works. I think Tubby is a nice guy, but like Monson he's lost the ability to inspire and coach this team. I actually think that Tubby would be fairly descent doing color commentary if he wished to give it a try.

Tubby will either choose to retire or he will accept another job elsewhere after this season. I don't think that Teague will have to fire him. Tubby saw the writing on the wall at Kentucky and left. He see's the writing on the wall here at Minnesota so he'll leave. In fact, I would expect Teague to look for and provide Tubby a graceful way out. At least, I hope that is the way it works. I think Tubby is a nice guy, but like Monson he's lost the ability to inspire and coach this team. I actually think that Tubby would be fairly descent doing color commentary if he wished to give it a try.

This combined with a good hire is the best case scenario going into next year.

I wonder if the strong in-state talent over the next few years, starting with 2014, would be an attraction for some of the young up and coming coaching candidates. If Shaka or Pastner thought they could keep 2 of the big 3 and the best in-state talent in '15 and '16, the job looks a lot more attractive.

Post Less

I don't see any way that Norwood hires Flip. He's going to go after someone he knows has the fire/hunger to hit the recruiting trail hard. That likely means someone younger than Flip, with Shaka likely topping the list. Obviously, it's more likely that the coach will be "other" than any one particular coach.

I don't see any way that Norwood hires Flip. He's going to go after someone he knows has the fire/hunger to hit the recruiting trail hard. That likely means someone younger than Flip, with Shaka likely topping the list. Obviously, it's more likely that the coach will be "other" than any one particular coach.

Agree. I think Teague is going to make a hire that none of us have even mentioned, and it will be a good one. I've said before, feels good to trust the AD for once.

I voted for Tubs because the U does not have the money to buy him out, which sucks.

At this point, who knows. I mean obviously I would love shaka, but who knows if he will come here... If Norwood brings in Shaka I will be ecstatic, but not holding my breath

Not that we're necessarily going to have an opening, but...

Someone posted elsewhere that Smart will hold out for a top-10 program. Teague's job is to communicate the vision of this being a top-10 program in the making, and it takes the right people and their efforts to make that happen. It would be flattering and challenging to hear that, and if you've got the right stuff it would be compelling.

Not that we're necessarily going to have an opening, but...

Someone posted elsewhere that Smart will hold out for a top-10 program. Teague's job is to communicate the vision of this being a top-10 program in the making, and it takes the right people and their efforts to make that happen. It would be flattering and challenging to hear that, and if you've got the right stuff it would be compelling.

Sorry but I don't think this will ever be a top 10 job.

That's why you're not the AD. I hope you don't lead an organization or part of an organization.

Wisconsin still isn't a top 10 job and they haven't finished below fourth under Bo Ryan. I don't see the Gophers passing UCLA, Syracuse, Duke, UNC, Kansas, Kentucky, Louisville, MSU, Indiana and Florida on terms of perception. Could they finish ahead of them a couple of years? Sure but they still wouldn't be considered a top ten program.

Wisconsin still isn't a top 10 job and they haven't finished below fourth under Bo Ryan. I don't see the Gophers passing UCLA, Syracuse, Duke, UNC, Kansas, Kentucky, Louisville, MSU, Indiana and Florida on terms of perception. Could they finish ahead of them a couple of years? Sure but they still wouldn't be considered a top ten program.

I read once that one of the sure signs of insanity is grandiose plans and schemes that are completely unrealistic. At the same time, what plagues most organizations is small thinking. There's probably a thin line between being insane and being a big thinker. But you can't expect to bring in top young coaching talent and expect to keep them if you can't articulate a vision of this becoming a big-time program. Sure, maybe not top-10, but why shoot for only halfway to the moon?

Top Bottom