• Flip Saunders

Votes: 45 26.2%
  • Shaka Smart

Votes: 30 17.4%
  • Other

Votes: 49 28.5%

• Total voters
I'd gladly take that risk.

Flip has backed off of it, but he has hinted at coming in and building the program and passing the torch. "Hey Tyus, Reid, Vaughn you wanna play pro ball after a year or two? I can make that happen."

Forget this talk that he has been away from college hoops for two long, he knows basketball at all levels & could coach at any level.

Will you people STOP starting up a new Fire Tubby thread every time we lose a road game to a Top 40 team?!

I mean, WOW. It's pathetic.

Remember, patience is considered a virtue. And showing restraint is usually a good thing. Holding your tongue?! Any of you ever heard of any of these concepts before?!

Why not let the season play out first, see if Tubby can right the ship, see if we don't pull an Illinois first and win our next 2?! My guess is Illinois fans would have thought winning those 2 games was not possible before they happened.

Also, anything can happen in the BTT, and even if we get a #11 seed in the Big Dance, anything can happen. In 1989 we faced a team in our 2nd round game that upset their opponent in the first round, so we only had to get one true upset to get to the Sweet 16.

And then there is the example of UConn that I mentioned earlier.

All I'm saying is lets just wait until the Fat Lady sings before we write our review of her singing performance, eh?!

Hey dumb arse, read the thread. This is not another "fire Tubby" thread. Just looking to see what people thought about next year.

Go ahead and vote for Tubby then go to bed.

I read once that one of the sure signs of insanity is grandiose plans and schemes that are completely unrealistic. At the same time, what plagues most organizations is small thinking. There's probably a thin line between being insane and being a big thinker. But you can't expect to bring in top young coaching talent and expect to keep them if you can't articulate a vision of this becoming a big-time program. Sure, maybe not top-10, but why shoot for only halfway to the moon?

You realize this is a program that after 6 years of talking still doesn't have a shovel in the ground on a practice facility. This program and university simply put does not have the financial backing of its alumni.

I don't know who the coach will be next year. If it's Tubby, I'll support the coach and team. If it's Flip, I'll support the coach and team. If it's Smart, I'll support the coach and team. No matter who it is, I'll support the coach and team. I don't think Tubby will be back if the season continues like this and we don't start to turn things around. I hate the way Gopher fans pissed and moaned and gave the whole situation a negative vibe starting three and four weeks ago. It doesn't help the program or the confidence of the team, but it is the typical Minnesota response.

I don't know who the coach will be next year. If it's Tubby, I'll support the coach and team. If it's Flip, I'll support the coach and team. If it's Smart, I'll support the coach and team. No matter who it is, I'll support the coach and team. I don't think Tubby will be back if the season continues like this and we don't start to turn things around. I hate the way Gopher fans pissed and moaned and gave the whole situation a negative vibe starting three and four weeks ago. It doesn't help the program or the confidence of the team, but it is the typical Minnesota response.

The people who are on here moaning are in general supporting the team. Most, if they go to the games will cheer hard for the Gophers- I know I will. No one on here or anywhere in Gopherland has done a thing to hurt this team. I've heard very little booing during the games and the Barn crowds have given the players plenty of support. The performance of the team and the coach is on the team and the coach. GHer's are just venting about what might be wrong and there is nothing wrong with that. When it gets bad is when nobody cares enough to say anything. I know a lot of fans who don't frequent this site who have hit that point. That's the hidden long term killer of a program. If the AD and the coaches don't appear to care- the fans take a walk.

You realize this is a program that after 6 years of talking still doesn't have a shovel in the ground on a practice facility. This program and university simply put does not have the financial backing of its alumni.

Truly that is a shame GG and it's a good point. However, I don't think Tubby has been nearly an enthusiastic enough promoter of Gopher buckets. He creates no excitement, no passion. Alumni buy into that passion. Those of us who were around when Mussleman came into town, or Lou Holtz in football for that matter, know what that looks like and what it does. If Tubby would have come in here full boar and put his heart and soul into this deal there would be a shovel in the ground by now.

Who is the Coach next year?"

1. God

And GH fans would still argue with him.

Truly that is a shame GG and it's a good point. However, I don't think Tubby has been nearly an enthusiastic enough promoter of Gopher buckets. He creates no excitement, no passion. Alumni buy into that passion. Those of us who were around when Mussleman came into town, or Lou Holtz in football for that matter, know what that looks like and what it does. If Tubby would have come in here full boar and put his heart and soul into this deal there would be a shovel in the ground by now.

I agree 100%! Even though I'm too young for memories of Holtz or Mussleman you've hit the nail on the head with this post. His demeanor is that of someone who is mailing it in and just doesn't care anymore. It appears that he's just here for the check and has lost all of his competitive spirit and drive.

The Gophers need the polar opposite of Smith. We need a young energetic coach who promotes his team and his sport just like Kill is doing on the Football side. We need a true ambassador, someone who is competitive, and someone who is passionate about Gopher sports to get people excited!

The negative vibe started way too quickly for this team....when we were still a top 15 team and a top 10 RPI. You don't think players and people close to the program know that's going on?

The negative vibe started way too quickly for this team....when we were still a top 15 team and a top 10 RPI. You don't think players and people close to the program know that's going on?

What the hell do you mean by that? No, I don't think. I, like most people here on GH, are simply walking, talking piles of impulses.

What the hell do you mean by that? No, I don't think. I, like most people here on GH, are simply walking, talking piles of impulses.

Probably the most honest thing I've ever read from you.

My point is that there has been a lot of pressure building on the coaches and players and they can feel it and the vibe thats been going on for the last month. They aren't insulated from it.

My point is that there has been a lot of pressure building on the coaches and players and they can feel it and the vibe thats been going on for the last month. They aren't insulated from it.

So what? Everyone has pressure in their own careers. If they aren't doing their jobs the pressure only gets greater. Either people are going to rise to the occasion or they will fold. Which one are we going to see from the coaching staff and players? This is a critical moment for character building in this program. Tubby can show his true character and help lift his players to a new level or he can fold. Which will it be?

Tom Izzo intentionally does this to his team every single year. If this team performed up to their capabilities this stink storm wouldn't exist.

I think they are playing close to their capabilities. They aren't that good.

Saw this brought up on another board but would McHale come back to coach college?

Saw this brought up on another board but would McHale come back to coach college?

Johnnyboy...why would anyone, and I mean anyone, come back here and have to face the wrath of fans who know nothing about the big picture? I am 68 years old, and I would give it a shot for one year.

Johnnyboy...why would anyone, and I mean anyone, come back here and have to face the wrath of fans who know nothing about the big picture? I am 68 years old, and I would give it a shot for one year.

But we have such a storied basketball history why wouldn't he come back?

Will you people STOP starting up a new Fire Tubby thread every time we lose a road game to a Top 40 team?!

I mean, WOW. It's pathetic.

Remember, patience is considered a virtue. And showing restraint is usually a good thing. Holding your tongue?! Any of you ever heard of any of these concepts before?!

Why not let the season play out first, see if Tubby can right the ship, see if we don't pull an Illinois first and win our next 2?! My guess is Illinois fans would have thought winning those 2 games was not possible before they happened.

Also, anything can happen in the BTT, and even if we get a #11 seed in the Big Dance, anything can happen. In 1989 we faced a team in our 2nd round game that upset their opponent in the first round, so we only had to get one true upset to get to the Sweet 16.

And then there is the example of UConn that I mentioned earlier.

All I'm saying is lets just wait until the Fat Lady sings before we write our review of her singing performance, eh?!

Still "PATHETIC"??

I nominate Kevin Lynch. He certainly knew what the hell he was doing on the court and probably has some coaching aptitude. Then put Quincy on the staff as a recruiter and hire Hosea Crittenden do whatever Saul currently does. :clap:

I've been going to gopher b-ball games for 35 years...first time poster. Used to play a little bit a well and know the the game inside and out. I have been thinking a lot about this topic and while I certainly wouldn't complain if it was Shaka, I hope they give the job to Flip before going to an unknown assistant on the rise.

Today you need to be a dynamic recruiter and know the X's and O's. We have everything right in front of us.

Flip Saunders
Trent Tucker
Quincy Lewis
Richard Coffey

All had played in the the Big Ten at MN and in the NBA. Can you imagine that group walking into a recruits home? Flip is so connected I would almost guarantee the big three would be back in play immediately.

That's my 2 cents.

I've been going to gopher b-ball games for 35 years...first time poster. Used to play a little bit a well and know the the game inside and out. I have been thinking a lot about this topic and while I certainly wouldn't complain if it was Shaka, I hope they give the job to Flip before going to an unknown assistant on the rise.

Today you need to be a dynamic recruiter and know the X's and O's. We have everything right in front of us.

Flip Saunders
Trent Tucker
Quincy Lewis
Richard Coffey

All had played in the the Big Ten at MN and in the NBA. Can you imagine that group walking into a recruits home? Flip is so connected I would almost guarantee the big three would be back in play immediately.

That's my 2 cents.

Good first post, and Welcome!

Flip Saunders
Trent Tucker
Quincy Lewis
Richard Coffey

That's my 2 cents.

+1 - I think Smart is the optimal hire but I don't think we can get him. I am certain we could get Flip and agree with the idea that he could bring excitement and success here. It starts with this- he's not a mercenary he bleeds maroon and gold. We need that right now. After 6 years of a mercenary looking for a low accountability safe haven, I want somebody who eats and sleeps Gopher basketball and knows the game. Flip has been attending local HS games of Tyus and Vaugh and Travis.

+1 - I think Smart is the optimal hire but I don't think we can get him. I am certain we could get Flip and agree with the idea that he could bring excitement and success here. It starts with this- he's not a mercenary he bleeds maroon and gold. We need that right now. After 6 years of a mercenary looking for a low accountability safe haven, I want somebody who eats and sleeps Gopher basketball and knows the game. Flip has been attending local HS games of Tyus and Vaugh and Travis.

I wouldn't be opposed to Flip, but you have to admit Teague did pretty well with his last hire of an 'up and coming young guy'.

Where does the money from Tubby's buyout come from (if the gophers were to go that direction) relative to where the money for the new practice facility is. Is this all in the athletic department?

Top Bottom