Votes: 48 27.9%
  • Flip Saunders

Votes: 45 26.2%
  • Shaka Smart

Votes: 30 17.4%
  • Other

Votes: 49 28.5%

• Total voters

I wouldn't be opposed to Flip, but you have to admit Teague did pretty well with his last hire of an 'up and coming young guy'.

Yeah, but the local good ole boy money might line up behind Flip. Or maybe not. I guess the only fun part of a rotten season is the intrigue to follow.

Don't sleep on this guy - Dwayne Stephens. He's been Izzo's top assistant for a long time, he's the top recruiter at Michigan State (re: has great relationship already with Tyus and Reid), he's credited for developing Draymond Green, etc.

http://www.msuspartans.com/sports/m-baskbl/mtt/stephens_dwayne00.html

Go Gophers!!

Interesting take. If in fact this goes the way of a new coach next year and if true that Teague and Ellis are as plugged into the recruiting scene as hinted to I believe by Doggie someone who already has established a relationship with the Big 3 should be at least be in the mix.

+1 - I think Smart is the optimal hire but I don't think we can get him. I am certain we could get Flip and agree with the idea that he could bring excitement and success here. It starts with this- he's not a mercenary he bleeds maroon and gold. We need that right now. After 6 years of a mercenary looking for a low accountability safe haven, I want somebody who eats and sleeps Gopher basketball and knows the game. Flip has been attending local HS games of Tyus and Vaugh and Travis.

If Tubby is not here next year, I hope the new coach has recruiting and high school ties throughout the country. I for the life of me, would not expect Flip, Trent, Quincy to have any high school/AAU ties around the country. If Flip is hired, you better believe he will hire a recruiter that does. I really hope we do not hire Flip if we replace Tubby. I'll cheer for anyone we hire, but man, I hope any new coach is a guy who knows how to recruit, recruit and recuit and evaluate talent.. combined with XandO's. I have my doubts on Flip.

One thing I am certain.. if Teague has a chance to hire a hoops coach to come to the Big Ten, he will pick the right guy..

Yeah, but the local good ole boy money might line up behind Flip. Or maybe not. I guess the only fun part of a rotten season is the intrigue to follow.

Very true.

My hopes and dreams all revolve around Shaka.

On a side note, the Minnesota Fire Tubby Smith facebook page membership has skyrocketed the last couple weeks I see lol, I wonder why

Don't sleep on this guy - Dwayne Stephens. He's been Izzo's top assistant for a long time, he's the top recruiter at Michigan State (re: has great relationship already with Tyus and Reid), he's credited for developing Draymond Green, etc.

http://www.msuspartans.com/sports/m-baskbl/mtt/stephens_dwayne00.html

Go Gophers!!

Intriguing. But I'm gun-shy to hire anyone who hasn't been a head coach at the D-1 level. Tim Brewster will do that to you. I believe that Tom Izzo is a great coach. But I believe that Mike Shanahan is too.

I'd be interested in Stephens, he has an impressive resume and has spent time at both Marquette and Michigan State. The only downside (besides the lack of head coaching experience), is that we'd have the low expectations crowd worrying that Stephens was leaving for MSU as soon as Izzo retires.

On a side note, the Minnesota Fire Tubby Smith facebook page membership has skyrocketed the last couple weeks I see lol, I wonder why

While I do think would be on board with him as a hire, I do wonder if his style would translate into B10 wins, or if we'd be in a similar spot that we've been in the last few years where it seems like, amongst other things, we just don't play a style that matches well against B10 teams. They spoke about this briefly in the last Talking Gopher Buckets Podcast and I think it's a very good point. There are other issues, for sure, but our scheme is at least one reason we look so much better outside the conference, even against similarly good teams (non conference, the NIT, etc).

It'd be an experiment I'd be willing to see, just like a Flip coaching tenure. Interesting to think about.

And from that page:

"Dan Barreiro's producer is very plugged in Gopher wise. Anyways, the other day they were discussing potential candidates on KFAN. And he was saying Norwood and his people who came with him from VCU, are EXTREMELY plugged into college basketball. Because at VCU, it's the only Div 1 thing they had. They hired an unknown Anthony Grant, who led VCU to the tourney and upset Duke, and he is now turning Alabama into a perennial contender. And they discovered Shaka Smart. So his point was, Norwood may well go after a name we know of, but he said they probably have a list of 5-10 guys who they have cherry picked as "the next Shaka", so I have full faith hearing that that Norwood would make a good hire, even if it's not somebody we're dreaming about right now."

Maybe this name was already brought up but there is a certain coach that the administration is already familiar with and is currently coaching at a football school. He might be on a list of 5-10 guys if such a list exist. This guy might be willing to leave a place where football is king.

Tubby's team has 9 losses.

Three of them are to teams who have been ranked #1 in the country at some time during the year.

Duke, Indiana, and Michigan

Four have been to teams that were ranked in the top 20 some point this year.

Ohio state, Michigan State, wisconsin, Illinois

Two bad losses to Iowa and northwestern

Shaka and VCU do have losses to two good teams in Duke and Missouri

But they have also lost to Wichita state, Richmond, La Salle and St. Louis

Shaka and VCU have only beaten ONE top 20 team this year: Memphis at home....same team we beat on a neutral court. They also have not played a ranked team since November 24. And have only played three ranked teams all year. (Duke loss, Missouri loss, Memphis win). On Tuesday, Minnesota plays their 12 game against a team that has been ranked during the season.

Minnesota has had a brutal schedule this year and I admit, the team is in a horrible funk and not laying good basketball right now......but everyone holds Shaka up to such an elite level. If VCU played our schedule this year, I guarantee they would not be doing so well.

Tubby's team has 9 losses.

Three of them are to teams who have been ranked #1 in the country at some time during the year.

Duke, Indiana, and Michigan

Four have been to teams that were ranked in the top 20 some point this year.

Ohio state, Michigan State, wisconsin, Illinois

Two bad losses to Iowa and northwestern

Shaka and VCU do have losses to two good teams in Duke and Missouri

But they have also lost to Wichita state, Richmond, La Salle and St. Louis

Shaka and VCU have only beaten ONE top 20 team this year: Memphis at home....same team we beat on a neutral court. They also have not played a ranked team since November 24. And have only played three ranked teams all year. (Duke loss, Missouri loss, Memphis win). On Tuesday, Minnesota plays their 12 game against a team that has been ranked during the season.

Minnesota has had a brutal schedule this year and I admit, the team is in a horrible funk and not laying good basketball right now......but everyone holds Shaka up to such an elite level. If VCU played our schedule this year, I guarantee they would not be doing so well.

VCU beat Memphis in the same court we did, not at home.

VCU beat Memphis in the same court we did, not at home.

Yes sorry, that is right. Same tournament. Point still holds though. The only ranked teams they played were the teams in that tournament. They went 1-3. They haven't played a ranked team since Nov. 24, the same day we beat Stanford. That was three months ago.

And they almost lost to Xavier today. They lost to St Louis the other day, and I think there is one or 2 more losses in their very near future.

VCU could still play their way out of the Big Dance. Although going in through the play-in games is how they got to the FF that one year. So like the Gophers, I won't count them out until the fat lady sings..

And they almost lost to Xavier today. They lost to St Louis the other day, and I think there is one or 2 more losses in their very near future.

VCU could still play their way out of the Big Dance. Although going in through the play-in games is how they got to the FF that one year. So like the Gophers, I won't count them out until the fat lady sings..

Trying to discredit a coach for winning a tough road conference game when the team rallies from 17 down in the 2nd half is a reach at best.

Xavier is ranked #92. But since its shaka, that's a tough road conf game.

If it was Tubby playing the #92 ranked team, it would be a horrible opponent and there would have been Gopher fans slitting their wrists when they had gotten down by 17, and demands for him to lose his job would have littered twitter and the game thread and possibly the newest Fire Tubby thread started here at half time.

Some people might call that a, I don't know, maybe a DOUBLE STANDARD!?!

If it was Tubby playing the #92 ranked team, it would be a horrible opponent and there would have been Gopher fans slitting their wrists when they had gotten down by 17, and demands for him to lose his job would have littered twitter and the game thread and possibly the newest Fire Tubby thread started here at half time.

Well, I am sure Iowa is calling for the head of their Coach. What is wrong with Iowa's Coach. Iowa leading by 41-25 at half, and end up losing by 4 to lowly Nebraska.

The solution to everything...Fire 'em.

You realize this is a program that after 6 years of talking still doesn't have a shovel in the ground on a practice facility. This program and university simply put does not have the financial backing of its alumni.

You obviously don't know how many projects are on the books right now and that the heavy donors have already ponied up several hundred million dollars in construction. A practice facility is an afterthought that doesn't amount to a fart in their interests. Let's see if the basketball future of the school even gets a mention by the facilities group in the near future. The U does not need the practice facility to meet its mission extremely well, now or in the future. It would be a nice cultural amenity, but it would never be considered anything more than a flake of crust that fell to the plate.

You obviously don't know how many projects are on the books right now and that the heavy donors have already ponied up several hundred million dollars in construction. A practice facility is an afterthought that doesn't amount to a fart in their interests. Let's see if the basketball future of the school even gets a mention by the facilities group in the near future. The U does not need the practice facility to meet its mission extremely well, now or in the future. It would be a nice cultural amenity, but it would never be considered anything more than a flake of crust that fell to the plate.

If you expect to be able to recruit against your competition who have top of the line facilities, they better have a practice facility. So all these heavy donors have ponied up so much money that no construction has started on a proactive facility after 6 years, the AD couldn't afford relatively inexpensive lights for the new baseball field, can't fix leaks in the roofs of facilities, and have to borrow money from the general university fund to buy our coaches. Simply put the alumni and donors don't support this school like their big ten competition. The AD also does a terrible job of asking for money and advertising their desire for donations. As a multi sport season ticket holder and precious donor, the university still fails to contact me asking for donations, even with an email.

we'd be lucky to land Flip

i think he would take it and there is no better choice.

The ranking of#92 is irrelevant. Under Chris Mack this was only Xavier's second conference home loss. Winning on Xaiver's home court cannot be just blown off as they are only ranked #92 so it isn't that impressive.

Has nothing do with Shaka. Any conference team winning at Xavier is impressive regardless of a number.

I BELIEVE...we will make a run in the Big Ten and NCAA Tourney...and...Tubby will be back. We played well on the road @ Atlantis. Look for it again.

Gophers next coach? Flip Saunders, of course!

I think he is about the only ex-coach ( a damn good one) who could get things rolling again at Williams Arena! "Nuff said! Go Gophers!!:clap:

I BELIEVE...we will make a run in the Big Ten and NCAA Tourney...and...Tubby will be back. We played well on the road @ Atlantis. Look for it again.

I believe you are wrong. The Tubby tenure is a total train wreck. It's staring you right in the face Parski1, and when did you get that 1 at the end of your name? Gophers will lose 3 of their last 4 games. 0-1 in BTT. Probably miss the dance.

I predict Flip will be the coach next year.

BTW still time to fill out your GH Survey and vote for me for your favorite poster........I'll let you off the hook for the $100 you owe me.

I believe you are wrong. The Tubby tenure is a total train wreck. It's staring you right in the face Parski1, and when did you get that 1 at the end of your name? Gophers will lose 3 of their last 4 games. 0-1 in BTT. Probably miss the dance.

I predict Flip will be the coach next year.

BTW still time to fill out your GH Survey and vote for me for your favorite poster........I'll let you off the hook for the $100 you owe me.

Gopher will lose 3 of last 4?? I can't wait to say "I told you so"!

Flip the coach?? LOL you're a funny guy station18.

DL is by far the best poster!

Gophers will win next 4' including defeating Harbaugh,s brother in law at the barn...down busker at Lincoln, bPSU at the barn and BM at Mackey..and they will be a force in BTT and NCAA...they can with the right breaks beat anyone...from the nations #1 wrestling and #1 hockey school!

Top Bottom