Please Don't Boo Tomorrow

For sure - I was at that game.

Me too - I'll never forget Bob Casey.

Paraphrased: "If you don't knock it off, the umpires will force us to forfeit this game. Now quit this!"

If you have it in your DNA not to boo then that is your decision, you are of a greater moral make-up than me.

However, if I see a sh!t product running around on the field tomorrow for the 4th (!!!!!) game in a row at home, you are going to have to kick me in the nuts to stop booing.

I hate to sound like I'm 60+ years old but we have fuc&ing 18 years old going to war, if we as a society deem it acceptable for these "kids" to go risk their lives than it is more than acceptable to boo these "kids" who make us watch this sh!t each week. Now, I'm booing the coaches, but they really go hand in hand. When these "kids" decide to take a $100k free ride and a chance to showcase their skills to possibly make it to the "next level" at these schools, well then they are accepting the possibility they may get boo'd, just like at any other sporting event where teams play like sh!t and don't live up to some reasonable set of standards (such as not looking like a high school team out there). Do we have such low standards for our football team that we will allow that sh!t to go on out there?? Maybe we are watching different things.

Deal with it, and if we do suck again tomorrow please boo, don't worry about recruits as the class will look totally different anyways once the new coach steps in. F it.

Damn it, I wanted to be the one to post that one. That's one of my all-time favorite episodes. One.

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/WRT70ceAMQ4?fs=1&hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/WRT70ceAMQ4?fs=1&hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

If we cant booo i say we get some fire brewster and fire maturi chants going.

we're caught in a perfect storm of failure right now, brew isnt good, maturi is worse, and wont do anything about brew because he's too much into politics and feel good, and bruininks wont do anything about either because hes on his way out and it wont be his problem.

If you have it in your DNA not to boo then that is your decision, you are of a greater moral make-up than me.

However, if I see a sh!t product running around on the field tomorrow for the 4th (!!!!!) game in a row at home, you are going to have to kick me in the nuts to stop booing.

I hate to sound like I'm 60+ years old but we have fuc&ing 18 years old going to war, if we as a society deem it acceptable for these "kids" to go risk their lives than it is more than acceptable to boo these "kids" who make us watch this sh!t each week. Now, I'm booing the coaches, but they really go hand in hand. When these "kids" decide to take a $100k free ride and a chance to showcase their skills to possibly make it to the "next level" at these schools, well then they are accepting the possibility they may get boo'd, just like at any other sporting event where teams play like sh!t and don't live up to some reasonable set of standards (such as not looking like a high school team out there). Do we have such low standards for our football team that we will allow that sh!t to go on out there?? Maybe we are watching different things.

Deal with it, and if we do suck again tomorrow please boo, don't worry about recruits as the class will look totally different anyways once the new coach steps in. F it.

Dumb

I hate to sound like I'm 60+ years old but we have fuc&ing 18 years old going to war, if we as a society deem it acceptable for these "kids" to go risk their lives than it is more than acceptable to boo these "kids" who make us watch this sh!t each week.

Wouldn't the fact that fuc&ing 18 yeard olds are going to war keep sports in perspective for you? These "kids" aren't trying to ruin your Saturday.

P.S. No one is making you do anything.

Get over firing Maturi, it's not going to happen period. Maturi is not on the hot seat here, Brewster is. Bruininks is under no pressure, he's retiring. Maturi will probably retire as soon as the new President has time to pick a replacement. Like it or loathe it, the only way Maturi doesn't pick Brewster's replacement is if Brewster sticks around long enough for it to be up to the next President and the next AD.

It is usually fairly obvious when there is a poor call on the field by a referee, but who are you booing otherwise?

Booing is sort like using a daisy bomb instead of sniper, a laser guided bomb or precision- guided munitions. Who is the intended target? All types will more than likely get the job done, but there will be a fair amount of collateral damage with overall booing.

I was talking with a couple of members of the band this week and how they felt after the game. They said they always felt it was their job to support the team, disrupt our opponent and get the crowd into the game on 3d downs, etc., to help with home field advantage. These kids told me that they felt pretty much abandoned and that they were especially disappointed with the student section.

Once again, maybe it was just how I was raised by my parents… and how I raised my own kids, but I reserve the right to not boo.

So how does booing improve the program? It seems like an act of total narcissism to me.

So how does booing improve the program? It seems like an act of total narcissism to me.

Exactly. It's "I'm really mad but I don't want to take the time to communicate in a way that makes sense like e-mail or phone calls to the AD, president, etc. So I'm going to boo."

I think some people here just wished they lived in Philly.

Boo bahhh

That is the name of my dead cat. Only cat I know of that had the natural coloring of maroon and gold. Every time they mention her name at the game... I just tear up.

Like many others, I will never boo the players if they're playing their hardest. Obviously, last week they were not. Now, it's at least partially on the coaching staff if the team was looking ahead to USC last week, but everyone, from Brewster down to the waterboy (with the possible exception of Bennett, who was one of the few players who showed up) disgraced the University of Minnesota last Saturday. For that they deserved to booed lustily.

Now, I don't expect the U to win tomorrow. I do expect them to show up and try their damnedest, though. If that happens I would agree booing is improper, for many of the reasons already stated in this thread. But if the game turns into a rout, then vocally expressing one's displeasure is not only proper, but necessary. For all the reasons that others have given to justify booing. Especially if the team gives up, a la 55-0 game vs. Iowa a couple of years ago. While these players are "amateurs", they're being given a $100K free ride to attend one of the best universities in the nation. In return, as an alumnus, a contributor to the U, and a taxpayer, I expect them to give 100% every Saturday. Anything less than that is unacceptable. And if they were giving it all they had last Saturday, then this team is in big trouble tomorrow.

Like many others, I will never boo the players if they're playing their hardest. Obviously, last week they were not. Now, it's at least partially on the coaching staff if the team was looking ahead to USC last week, but everyone, from Brewster down to the waterboy (with the possible exception of Bennett, who was one of the few players who showed up) disgraced the University of Minnesota last Saturday. For that they deserved to booed lustily.

Now, I don't expect the U to win tomorrow. I do expect them to show up and try their damnedest, though. If that happens I would agree booing is improper, for many of the reasons already stated in this thread. But if the game turns into a rout, then vocally expressing one's displeasure is not only proper, but necessary. For all the reasons that others have given to justify booing. Especially if the team gives up, a la 55-0 game vs. Iowa a couple of years ago. While these players are "amateurs", they're being given a $100K free ride to attend one of the best universities in the nation. In return, as an alumnus, a contributor to the U, and a taxpayer, I expect them to give 100% every Saturday. Anything less than that is unacceptable. And if they were giving it all they had last Saturday, then this team is in big trouble tomorrow.

I will never boo when I see players busting their a-- every play.

I will boo when a coach calls a dumb play, when a ref blows a call, or when a team is playing with half a--ed effort.

If a team isn't trying, they deserve to hear about it.

One other thing, to those who think these are "kids" -- they're adults by definition as they're 18 or over...we don't need to baby them and not boo so we don't hurt their feelings. If the players aren't trying, they should know about it.

I will never boo when I see players busting their a-- every play.

I will boo when a coach calls a dumb play, when a ref blows a call, or when a team is playing with half a--ed effort.

If a team isn't trying, they deserve to hear about it.

One other thing, to those who think these are "kids" -- they're adults by definition as they're 18 or over...we don't need to baby them and not boo so we don't hurt their feelings. If the players aren't trying, they should know about it.

As dissapointed as I was in how the team played last week, I thought the kids gave good effort. They lost because they couldn't execute, but I saw no indication that the kids weren't trying. Sometimes kids just don't execute for whatever reason, but I still support the kids. kids.

Betty who?

Booing is sort like using a daisy bomb instead of sniper, a laser guided bomb or precision- guided munitions. Who is the intended target? All types will more than likely get the job done, but there will be a fair amount of collateral damage with overall booing.

I was talking with a couple of members of the band this week and how they felt after the game. They said they always felt it was their job to support the team, disrupt our opponent and get the crowd into the game on 3d downs, etc., to help with home field advantage. These kids told me that they felt pretty much abandoned and that they were especially disappointed with the student section.

Nice. Referencing munitions and collateral damage. Never were in the military above E4, were ya!

Me too - I'll never forget Bob Casey.

Paraphrased: "If you don't knock it off, the umpires will force us to forfeit this game. Now quit this!"

Somewhere in there was 'This is an important game.' Even though it was April, I guess that was true given how awful the Twins were for the 8 years prior.

Regarding the booing in general, I can't fully buy into the 'can't boo college kids' theme at this level. That said, it should be saved for when it's truly necessary. Last week it was necessary. It won't be necessary tomorrow unless we get absolutely housed. I certainly don't want to hear the crowd booing them into halftime if they're down 10 points, etc.

This has been asked many times in this thread already and no one seems to have an answer for it. I don't think any of us who are saying "don't boo" are saying it because we don't want the players feelings hurt. It's because it doesn't do anything to help the team.

This has been asked many times in this thread already and no one seems to have an answer for it. I don't think any of us who are saying "don't boo" are saying it because we don't want the players feelings hurt. It's because it doesn't do anything to help the team.

We have a winner!!!

Reminds me of "The beatings will continue until morale improves". Booing the players does nothing to help the team, it only offers discouragement. It also creates a negative impression for visiting recruits.

Right as always my man.

Plus, it can scare the little ones in attendance. That's a lot of ghosts to deal with.

Nice. Referencing munitions and collateral damage. Never were in the military above E4, were ya!

Betty boooooooooooooop

BettyBoopCardinals.png

Did they play better after they were booed?

No. But if a fan base can't be moved to boo at that juncture, it means they don't even care, which is far worse. I'm against booing any individual player. I get that. But when you see a program you supposedly care about getting humiliated and left in utter shambles, it seems to me that sitting in cold silence is far worse.

No. But if a fan base can't be moved to boo at that juncture, it means they don't even care, which is far worse. I'm against booing any individual player. I get that. But when you see a program you supposedly care about getting humiliated and left in utter shambles, it seems to me that sitting in cold silence is far worse.

I guess many of us on here don't care because we don't boo our own team.

If its 35-0 at halftime against the Gophers just leave, I love watching football, but only if it is competitive.

The boos I was referring too in the initial post are boos like those that were showered on the team as they ran into the locker room at halftime last week. They hadn't even lost the game yet! It came as really tacky to anyone in attendance with an once of self control or a blood alcohol level under 0.08. Sitting in silence isn't the only other option besides booing. You could maybe shout some words of encouragement to try to fire the guys up for the 2nd half. Call me crazy but I think shouting some things that will make them want to go out and win for the fans seems like a better strategy to me.

Look, I don't boo. I've got my five-year-old next to me and don't want to set a bad example.

But this whole thread is nonsense. You really think if recruits were here last weekend, for example, that they'd still be fine coming to the U even though they just watched the Gophers lose to South Dakota, but, once the fans booed, well, that's different, NOW they're not going to come here?

And you think "shouts of encouragement" will make a difference?

Gimme a break.

I guess many of us on here don't care because we don't boo our own team.

No, I wouldn't say that. It's a personal thing, and there's nothing wrong with not doing it either. But for 50,000 people to witness what happened last Saturday to all just quietly get up and leave would be eery and the sign of a dead program, IMO.

Top Bottom