Please Don't Boo Tomorrow

ChemEGopher

Section 133 Row 28!!!!!!!!!!!!
Reaction score
I know most of the people that post here aren't the type to boo our own players at the games but just a friendly reminder that boos tomorrow will do much more harm to the football program than good. This is the biggest recruiting weekend of the year as far as visits go and we don't want to come off as a fan base that doesn't support our players. Booing does not prove you to be a more passionate fan. It makes you look like an idiot. I'd much rather see everyone cheering the whole game, no matter the score, and have us come off as a fan base that supports our players through thick and thin.

If you don't like Brewster that's fine (and justified) just email Joel Maturi at [email protected] to voice your displeasure with the coaching staff. I guarantee that is a much more effective means to getting your opinion heard.

All that said, Go Gophers! Shock the Trojans!

+1000. Never understood the booing of college kids.

i agree on not booing but depending on your view of brew, dont underestimate the power of voicing fan displeasure. actions at games are more powerful than anything. the president is there, the regents are there, the ad's family is there. maturi said after monson was fired that the crowd reaction at the clemson game was the last nail in the coffin. he said this on cco. he said that everyone was leaving at halftime, booing monson, coming up to maturi during the games and on and on.

i hope we shock the trojans tomorrow so this is all a waste of conversation, but the president and regents don't read maturi's e-mails.

i agree on not booing but depending on your view of brew, dont underestimate the power of voicing fan displeasure. actions at games are more powerful than anything. the president is there, the regents are there, the ad's family is there. maturi said after monson was fired that the crowd reaction at the clemson game was the last nail in the coffin. he said this on cco. he said that everyone was leaving at halftime, booing monson, coming up to maturi during the games and on and on.

i hope we shock the trojans tomorrow so this is all a waste of conversation, but the president and regents don't read maturi's e-mails.

I wouldn't take that quote from Maturi as something to be basing decisions on. Its pretty clear he makes firing decisions much too emotionally.

Also remember the recruits will be there. Don't underestimate the impact that booing can have on a recruit. The recruit may well think "If I come here, they'll be booing me."

No BOOing-agreed towards the players or coaches tomorrow.

Although I am not in favor of booing at the Gophers game, it was kind of fun when virtually the whole stadium booed the refs at the Michigan State game what seemed like the whole 3rd quarter. It was kind of fun to vent frustrations towards the officials for the lousy job they were doing and amazingly they swallowed their whistles against the Gophers for the 4th quarter.

i booed and booed and booed last week. But I was not booing the players. I was booing Brewster and Maturi. And I will probably boo again this week. As far as recruits, I think that this recruiting class is in big trouble anyway. Once Brew is finally fired at the end of the season many recruits will decommit, and the long "search committee" process will ensure that the next coach will have little to no opportunity to affect this yrs class. Its gonna be an ugly year or 2 for gopher football no matter how you slice it.

Those weren't 'Booos!', they were "BREWWWWS!!"

So if I understand this right there is a different boo for the coaches than there is for the Players? I am sure they can tell the difference. Makes a lot of sense to boo and discourage recruits from attending the "U" especially when there may not be a coaching change.

i booed and booed and booed last week. But I was not booing the players. I was booing Brewster and Maturi. And I will probably boo again this week. As far as recruits, I think that this recruiting class is in big trouble anyway. Once Brew is finally fired at the end of the season many recruits will decommit, and the long "search committee" process will ensure that the next coach will have little to no opportunity to affect this yrs class. Its gonna be an ugly year or 2 for gopher football no matter how you slice it.

Do you think the players and recruits can tell the difference.

The recruiting class is actually looking really good for this year. Much improved from last year and more on par with Brewster's previous classes. We already have 15 committements and could get a few more this weekend. If you want Brewster and Maturi fired please email president Bruininks.

Exactly. My favorite is when someone boo's after a bad play. "I was booing the playcall!" they'll say. Yes, because the college kids out there can tell by the tone of your boo that it was directed at the coaches calling the plays...sheesh. :rolleyes:

Are we being discriminatory against Ghosts??
ghost.jpg

Can I still shake my head in disgust or swear under my breath?

I'm not sure the recruits will be impressed if we sit there in stony silence tomorrow. It's really not beyond the realm of possibility that there isn't much to cheer for tomorrow. Nothing says "come here to school" like a passionless tomb.

I don't boo often but when I do it is usually directed at bad officiating and the calls they make, and I think the players and coaches can definitely tell the difference. If the gophers perform on defense like they did last week it won't be the booing that will influence those recruits. You never know maybe last week was a wake up call and they will come out against USC and shock the world.

I think booing is very important and essential to be successful. Most of the time, the players don't know they are playing bad. They can't read the scoreboard so they never know the score. So when we boo, they're like "Oh crap, the fans are booing. We must not be playing well. I better play better now." It's all up to us to let them know when they are not playing up to standards.

In this guys defense, sometimes they can. Do you think the Vikings players or anyone in the crowd thought the players were being booed when Randall Cunningham took a knee at the end of the 4th quarter in '98?

Also, what's preferable to the program, to have people sit silently, and then quietly not renew their seats next year, or to have them voice thier displeasure now? In the business world they talk extensively about the value of the 'voice of the customer'. It can be heard no more clearly than on a Saturday afternoon in Joel Maturi's case.

FWIW I didn't boo on Saturday.

I've never booed a U player in any sport - don't believe in it. Other teams and officials are certainly in the mix of booing you will hear from me, but never a Gopher player.

No BOOing-agreed towards the players or coaches tomorrow.

Although I am not in favor of booing at the Gophers game, it was kind of fun when virtually the whole stadium booed the refs at the Michigan State game what seemed like the whole 3rd quarter. It was kind of fun to vent frustrations towards the officials for the lousy job they were doing and amazingly they swallowed their whistles against the Gophers for the 4th quarter.

That was awesome

I've never booed a U player in any sport - don't believe in it. Other teams and officials are certainly in the mix of booing you will hear from me, but never a Gopher player.

You'd boo Alipate though, right?

The boos I was referring too in the initial post are boos like those that were showered on the team as they ran into the locker room at halftime last week. They hadn't even lost the game yet! It came as really tacky to anyone in attendance with an once of self control or a blood alcohol level under 0.08. Sitting in silence isn't the only other option besides booing. You could maybe shout some words of encouragement to try to fire the guys up for the 2nd half. Call me crazy but I think shouting some things that will make them want to go out and win for the fans seems like a better strategy to me.

Does anyone remember the Vikes/Rams playoff game in 1975. Vikes were down by 10 at half. When the Vikes came out on the field to start the second half the fans were cheering and going totally crazy. Many Viking players said that really 'pumped them up'.

Booing is poor form. Real fans go to a game to cheer for their team. Now, as in the Michigan State near travesty last year, I will sometimes boo the officials. But you should never go to a Gopher game and boo the home team (unless you are watching the Gophers play in Madison).

Does anyone remember the Vikes/Rams playoff game in 1975. Vikes were down by 10 at half. When the Vikes came out on the field to start the second half the fans were cheering and going totally crazy. Many Viking players said that really 'pumped them up'.

Fair point. However, do you think the fans would've been cheering them had they been losing a playoff game to, say, the Winnipeg Blue Bombers?

Top Bottom