PJ Targeting Ciarrocca for Return as OC?

I think this is the kind of move that Iowa and Wisconsin make. You bring back/keep the successful but unexciting guy and build that consistent identity year after year. I kind of like it, but I also question whether we've had enough success to think we're going to get better and pass those schools as opposed to stagnate and get passed by Purdue, Nebraska, or even Illinois.

I love it from the perspective of Morgan being back. If Tanner was going to be our starter for another year, I love the fact that he'll do it with the exact same staff he had his breakout 2019 with. I also love the idea of Tanner being so familiar with what Kirk wants that he can help groom the starter for '23. I also love the idea of getting back to an offense that should be more balanced. It was going to be very difficult to recruit WR's going forward after our run/pass balance in '21.

I've seen a lot of social media concern over Ciarrocca's use of the TE in the passing game, but that's way down my list. My number 1 concern is do we have (or can get) WR's for next year who can win consistently on the types of routes we thrived on in 2019? Even if CrAB comes back, he's not really the guy that separates on slants or vertically and is much more of the contested catch type guy. My number 2 concern would be that we go back to being incredibly reliant on the inside zone run. One area we improved on since Ciarrocca left was the diversity in our run game. I am not sure everyone remembers, but even in 2019 there was a TON of "RUTM" especially in the first half of the season.

I found this video really interesting on Ciarrocca as it was done when he took the PSU job. Granted the plays discussed are from what was the biggest win I've been alive for, so it's a bit like a player's highlight tape:

Let’s get him in the boathouse first safely.

This is like the 1500’s/1600’s with cartographers. Attempts are frequently made to kidnap them. They “know” the sea routes to the “West Indies.”

Simon is 36 years old….I’m too lazy to research it, but I’m guessing that would be very very young to be an OC at the P5 level…..maybe he just knows his time will come????

Simon is 36 years old….I’m too lazy to research it, but I’m guessing that would be very very young to be an OC at the P5 level…..maybe he just knows his time will come????
I think Sanford was 37 when he took the OC job here .. Fleck just turned 41.

Last edited:

I think this is the kind of move that Iowa and Wisconsin make. You bring back/keep the successful but unexciting guy and build that consistent identity year after year. I kind of like it, but I also question whether we've had enough success to think we're going to get better and pass those schools as opposed to stagnate and get passed by Purdue, Nebraska, or even Illinois.

It sounds like you are mixed on Kirk. What would you like to see happen? Kirk, Simon, or play the field?

I've seen a lot of social media concern over Ciarrocca's use of the TE in the passing game, but that's way down my list. My number 1 concern is do we have (or can get) WR's for next year who can win consistently on the types of routes we thrived on in 2019? Even if CrAB comes back, he's not really the guy that separates on slants or vertically and is much more of the contested catch type guy. My number 2 concern would be that we go back to being incredibly reliant on the inside zone run. One area we improved on since Ciarrocca left was the diversity in our run game. I am not sure everyone remembers, but even in 2019 there was a TON of "RUTM" especially in the first half of the season.
I am with you on TE involvement being far down the list as he showed willingness to use the TEs at PSU. I also generally don’t care where the passing game comes from as long as it is present and productive (which it very much was during his tenure).

They really started mixing in a lot of outside zone in 2019 which is encouraging in regards to mixing up the running game. Kirk was also big on the SG17 package which shows some level of creativity. I too would like to maintain some of our current run game creativity though. The quick toss to Bucky for example is a great way to put him in space immediately and take advantage of his elusiveness. I also hope we see some of the RB passing game carryover as those plays have been very effective this year. IIRC, the RBs just about always stayed back for pass protection under KC.

All I know is that the boat slices through rough waters like a sharp knife with Captain Kirk on board. 🥳

Fleck just turned 40.
Just turned 41.

At 32, PJ was the first FBS coach born in the 1980’s, and the youngest FBS coach ever.

ND just named a 35 year old as head coach.

The head coach of Notre Dame is 35

Simon has now been passed on twice by fleck.

Either:
A) he doesn’t want the job
Or
B) fleck doesn’t think he is the best candidate for the job

Maybe fleck is wrong but I guess I’d rather roll with flecks decision than get rid of fleck to keep Simon

It’s almost like the boomers are retiring
I think what he was saying is there are more young OCs and head coaches now than say 10-20 years ago. Those boomers that are retiring could also be replaced by middle-aged guys but teams seem more willing to give young coaches a shot.
That's a perception though - not sure what the stats would say.

Media that there's not enough of:

Age of sail ship dramas, Master and Commander and so on.

Western exploration stuff ... probably not easy to make but I want me some Lewis and Clark action ...

Sanford wasn't 100% garbage. He did some good things, just not enough of them. I'm thinking if Captain Kirk comes back, Matt Simon can be a bridge to share some of those things and improve on what Kirk already had and make a bigger playbook with more options for different teams. Just a thought.

The head coach of Notre Dame is 35

Simon has now been passed on twice by fleck.

Either:
A) he doesn’t want the job
Or
B) fleck doesn’t think he is the best candidate for the job

Maybe fleck is wrong but I guess I’d rather roll with flecks decision than get rid of fleck to keep Simon
So it is official that KC is our new OC?

I am with you on TE involvement being far down the list as he showed willingness to use the TEs at PSU.
Good.

If he destroys BSF's draft stock, he should be whipped in Dinkytown.

Some of the MN public institution HR-types will have to chime in but appears there may be a mandated song and dance procedure to complete before they can announce anything. In short, I have no idea but thought I’d chime in to confirm back channel rumors it‘s a done deal. You’re welcome.

No official announcement that I've seen.

Maybe working on contract extension for the other assistants that were expiring, and announcement all at once?

Media that there's not enough of:

Age of sail ship dramas, Master and Commander and so on.

Western exploration stuff ... probably not easy to make but I want me some Lewis and Clark action ...

Prequel film announced in June.

Celebrating Kirk’s return, Don’t Forget Your Old Shipmate

Top Bottom