PJ Targeting Ciarrocca for Return as OC?

If PJ hires Ciarrocca you can bet that they will have had multiple difficult conversations about it. I highily doubt PJ will hire Ciarrocca without a rock solid commitment from him that he will be staying with the Gophers for the long term.

Of course they would have had the conversation over breakfast cuz those are the kind that PJ eats 😏

When people floated KC as an option I didn't really think it would be possible. But obviously there is some serious steam behind this given the sources reporting it.

If KC is coming back then I am sure he and Fleck had some long conversations to make sure he was in it for the long haul here.

I am all for this, our 2019 offense was awesome and it took a big step down in 2020 and 2021. For those worried about what this would mean for BSF and other pass catching TE, just look up the 2020 PSU stats and you will see that the TE were part of the passing game at a pretty solid clip. The lack of TE throws here probably had way more to do with personnel then philosophy. If he has a TE he trusts, he will try and get him the ball.

Kirk Ciarrocca capitalizes on the strengths of his personnel. He is an avid film guy. Anybody that started lining up eleven green toy soldiers as a young boy, I am all for.

Last edited:

This is awesome. I thought there was no shot of this happening. If I’ve correctly read between the lines in the past, I think Kirk can be a little standoffish. I think that’s why it was easy to give him the boot from Penn St…whatever, their loss is our gain

Yes, he will use Brevyn Spann-Ford in the pass game. A few years ago, we just didn’t have the talent at TE to use in the passing game.

I’m pumped, Ciarrocca rock star

The rare message board idea that completely comes true.
Complete with some people being po’d because he left and doesn’t appear to be seriously in love with us here in Minnesota and when some one does that to some of us Minnesotans’ some of us will hold a grudge against him forever. So maybe, if Fleck gives him the oc job, it will be 2021 revisited with some of the fans hating on the oc.

So, maybe we will hear some of the pi$$ing & moaning about the “offensive” offensive coordinator just as loudly in 2022 as we did in 2021. Some things never seem to change…. ;0(

Wonder if Fleck is still buddies with Franklin after he canned Kirk after 1 season, a covid season. PJ can’t like that. Worked out for Fleck though. Douche move by Franklin. Big time douche move.

When people floated KC as an option I didn't really think it would be possible. But obviously there is some serious steam behind this given the sources reporting it.

If KC is coming back then I am sure he and Fleck had some long conversations to make sure he was in it for the long haul here.

I am all for this, our 2019 offense was awesome and it took a big step down in 2020 and 2021. For those worried about what this would mean for BSF and other pass catching TE, just look up the 2020 PSU stats and you will see that the TE were part of the passing game at a pretty solid clip. The lack of TE throws here probably had way more to do with personnel then philosophy. If he has a TE he trusts, he will try and get him the ball.
And for all the Simon fans, the TE’s had 3 catches for 11 yards in the Outback bowl vs Auburn.

Complete with some people being po’d because he left and doesn’t appear to be seriously in love with us here in Minnesota and when some one does that to some of us Minnesotans’ some of us will hold a grudge against him forever. So maybe, if Fleck gives him the oc job, it will be 2021 revisited with some of the fans hating on the oc.

So, maybe we will hear some of the pi$$ing & moaning about the “offensive” offensive coordinator just as loudly in 2022 as we did in 2021. Some things never seem to change…. ;0(
Not from me bro. But I was 100% spot on wasn’t I?

So we are skeptical of a guy who has been successful here, with this coach - mainly because we really want a guy who has never done the job before and that PJ has now passed over twice? Okey Dokey.

I mean many of these are the same people who think Clark is likely a better QB than Morgan because he threw a good pass once.

Hell I bet a week ago they would have loved this idea because it was far fetched...now it happened so they have to hate it cause...reasons?

Fans: We want 2019 Tanner!!
Also fans: but we don't want the OC back who gave us 2019 Tanner!

If true not really a fan of this. Should go with Matt Simon.
Man, Simon really showed his worth this season as our “passing game coordinator.” 🙄 No… also is WR coach Matt Simon going to develop our future QBs? I want my OC being the QB coach.

Welcome back KC!!!

How is this not a Grand Slam? We have a guy who has proven he is successful here previously in the role - added with the current QB. We have a guy in Simon who has gained experience. We have continuity amongst our coaching staff (the biggest thing in CFB). See WI, IA, NW. We now have Fleck, Rossi, Simon, KC with multiple years here. That breeds continuity. Something this program needs.

All those TE people, we had 4 completions to the TE vs Auburn. Settle. Would you target the TE regularly with Bateman, TJ, CAB? No. TEs weren’t featured with the talent at WR. That doesn’t mean he won’t without those NFL WRs chill.

Further, KC develops QBs. Simon is a WR coach. I want my OC being a QB coach. We have two young QBs waiting in the wings in Knuth and the Greek. Get them under KC’s wings and may the best man win. Go Gophers!

If BSF wants to be more involved in the offense the easiest solution is for him to become a better blocker so he isn’t a liability on 60% of plays

Unless he doesn't want the OC job.
That’s certainly possible, but Simon is in his mid-30s and was supposedly a candidate for the job twice. I am skeptical that his dream is to be co-offensive coordinator.

I am wondering if Kirk Ciarrocca does return to the Gophers if he highlights the Penn State game on his calendar.

That would be a great national story if the Gophers win at College Station.

Let’s wait and see. I don’t want to count my chickens before they hatch.

giphy.gif

I am wondering if Kirk Ciarrocca does return to the Gophers if he highlights the Penn State game on his calendar.

That would be a great national story if the Gophers win at College Station.

Let’s wait and see. I don’t want to count my chickens before they hatch.
College Station? Or Happy Valley?

With all due respect, why would this be an uninspiring hire? Our 2019 offense was a ton of fun, and it wasn't just because of the two great WR we had.
It was one good year. It’s not like Ciarrocca was great every year. It’s not a big deal if Ciarrocca is brought back. IMO they should go with Simon

Last edited:

It was one good year. It’s not like Ciarrocca was great every year. It’s not a big deal if Ciarrocca is brought back. IMO they should go with Simon.

Penn St had it's best offense in the last three years with Coach KC.
We had 2019 and a solid 2018.
2016 at Western Michigan was quite good.

I think he knows how to use his best players and coach offense.

He's also been an early recruiter of Max Duggan, Hank Bachemeier, Brennan Armstroung, Tanner Morgan, Jacob Clark, Athan Kalakalalamaianaiais. He's developed QB's.
Simon hasn't ever been a QB recruiter or coach.

QB's are kind of important in college football.

Top Bottom