PJ Targeting Ciarrocca for Return as OC?

I might owe him an apology..... sooo story time i live 10 minutes from state college I once threatened him in state college that I was going to take a sh!t in his mailbox while wearing my goper hoodie right after he arrived 😅
I love you.

I like this. I think sometimes you don't realize how good you have it until it's gone.

In Ciarrocca's case that's going to your dream job during a covid year and getting fired without a real opportunity. Some dream. That isn't going to happen here.

It is possible that we're more solid at TE than 2018 and 2019...?

qbXfLGo.gif

Ya, Franklin is a tool. Look how good his hot new OC did this year. Worse than Ciarocca’s covid year.
Interesting path but all in all, happy to have him back. Can’t imagine he’s leaving again and I trust PJ heard what he needed to bring him back in. He had something special getting built here. Hopefully we can grab that back. Rossi and Ciarocca both very solid.

Let’s get back at it.

So we are skeptical of a guy who has been successful here, with this coach - mainly because we really want a guy who has never done the job before and that PJ has now passed over twice? Okey Dokey.
I'd also throw in this -- Simon is going to be more experienced and likely be able to contribute more to game planning etc.

I think Ciarrocca/Simon 2.0 can be better than two years ago.

If I’m his good buddy Neal Brown at West Virginia I offer everything I got to Ciarocca to be OC. Hopefully PJ can offer him more, more money and more opportunity and just more of everything.

I honestly would be surprised if PJ went in that direction. But if so, I’m all for it. The only thing I would ask is incorporate more TE than he did when here the first time.

Maybe he saw the grass isn’t always greener and wants to come back to a nice, stable place for him. I don’t begrudge him for trying it out “on his own” away from PJ, while being closer to home and earning more money.
He left because Penn State was his dream job being from the area. He missed his family. IMHO, he did not know that James Franklin would fire him a year later. Mike Yurcich, the former Texas Longhorns Offensive Coordinator, replaced Ciarrocca a year later. What class.

Should be fun when we head to Penn State in November next year. Come on down Kirk.

If I’m his good buddy Neal Brown at West Virginia I offer everything I got to Ciarocca to be OC. Hopefully PJ can offer him more, more money and more opportunity and just more of everything.
I’m kinda surprised Kirk already wasn’t made a coach or OC there…I assumed that was inevitable.

He left because Penn State was his dream job being from the area. He missed his family. IMHO, he did not know that James Franklin would fire him a year later. Mike Yurcich, the former Texas Longhorns Offensive Coordinator, replaced Ciarrocca a year later. What class.
Franklin is the most overrated coach in college football!! I don’t get why he is always a top prospect for jobs. Way overrated and overpaid

So we are skeptical of a guy who has been successful here, with this coach - mainly because we really want a guy who has never done the job before and that PJ has now passed over twice? Okey Dokey.
And was on the staff with PJ at WMU...

Unless he doesn't want the OC job.
I keep wondering about this myself. PJ and Simon have been together a good while now. You know that PJ knows what Simon’s coaching goals are at this point and whether or not that includes being an OC. Part of me feels that if Simon has told PJ he wants the job, he’d have it. PJ strikes me as someone who is very loyal to his group. I feel if Simon wanted this job, PJ would go that route before going back to KC, who chose to leave.

We will have our answer soon though. If Simon hangs around, to me that speaks volumes.

The question is, is this all pipe dreams?

For all of the Simon advocates.

1. He's never been an OC on his own before.

2. He's never been a QB coach before.

3. He's never recruited (or identified) a QB before.

QB's that KC has identified:
Brennan Armstrong, Hank Bachemeier, Tanner Morgan, Athan Kalamanaiaiais, Max Duggan.
(Not sure if he was behing the Vic Viramontes transfer idea).
But these other guys are all playing well from prominent teams.

Does Max Duggan or Hank Bachmeier ever second guess their decisions?

I have to think either Simon had doubts about being OC or doesn't want it. I just don't see how PJ would turn him down again if he wanted it...but who knows.

Wish we had insight on Patterson's goals as well, would hate to have his creative mind leave, but maybe he didn't want it either...

I keep wondering about this myself. PJ and Simon have been together a good while now. You know that PJ knows what Simon’s coaching goals are at this point and whether or not that includes being an OC. Part of me feels that if Simon has told PJ he wants the job, he’d have it. PJ strikes me as someone who is very loyal to his group. I feel if Simon wanted this job, PJ would go that route before going back to KC, who chose to leave.

We will have our answer soon though. If Simon hangs around, to me that speaks volumes.
This is what I was thinking as well. Didn't P.J. make Simon the Co-offensive coordinator as well when Sanford came in. To me that indicates P.J. wanted to give Simon the opportunity to provide his input in the offense whether that's game planning, game calling, etc. Then Fleck fires Sanford this past week so we know Simon wasn't the issue. I think maybe Simon doesn't want to take on the additional responsibility at this point which I understand. But like you said, time will tell.

I have to think either Simon had doubts about being OC or doesn't want it. I just don't see how PJ would turn him down again if he wanted it...but who knows.

Wish we had insight on Patterson's goals as well, would hate to have his creative mind leave, but maybe he didn't want it either...
People act like PJ isn’t a big time coach trying to do a big time job. PJ is going to do what he thinks gives him the best chance to win a Big Ten title. He has big time aspirations. You think other top programs hire Simon over Ciarocca?

If it came from Pete Thamel, you can usually trust it. He has a really good relationship with Fleck.

People act like PJ isn’t a big time coach trying to do a big time job. PJ is going to do what he thinks gives him the best chance to win a Big Ten title. He has big time aspirations. You think other top programs hire Simon over Ciarocca?
Sure, but PJ is where he is because someone took a chance on him. With the, albeit limited, play calling we've seen from Simon, I don't think he'd be a bad option.

Top Bottom