PJ Targeting Ciarrocca for Return as OC?

What is he supposed to say, “I left to get a bigger paycheck”? Not sure that would go over well. Hence, the coach speak.
He’s not going to say “I came here to be closer to my kids, and because my wife wanted to be closer to family”.
He could absolutely say Penn St is where I want to be, this is my home. Let’s go get a national championship. So you guys are saying he only moved to be closer to home? He left MN for more reasons than just to be closer to home. Penn St is a better job, I get that. More prestige, better talent, more money. I’m just a Gopher fan so I don’t love the guy just leaving and then we take him back. But he is a really solid coach so it’s tough.

I’d be skeptical of him coming back. I guess PJ has to give it a shot though. Gotta see if there’s interest. His daughter is out of college now and it looks like his son is no longer playing lacrosse. Wonder if that will make the difference? I’ll bet it comes down to his wife. If they want to be here I don’t think anything could be better.

I’d be skeptical of him coming back. I guess PJ has to give it a shot though. Gotta see if there’s interest. His daughter is out of college now and it looks like his son is no longer playing lacrosse. Wonder if that will make the difference? I’ll bet it comes down to his wife. If they want to be here I don’t think anything could be better.
If PJ hires Ciarrocca you can bet that they will have had multiple difficult conversations about it. I highly doubt PJ will hire Ciarrocca without a rock solid commitment from him that he will be staying with the Gophers for the long term.

Last edited:

Burns is posting like this is just about a done deal. Everyone else seeing that? On Illustrated site.

I would have been skeptical that PJ would welcome him back. And I'm skeptical that Ciarrocca would consider it.

Just saw the Ryan Burns tweet. Not sure how I feel about it. Obviously knows the offense and will love the weapons but why'd he leave in the first place? Obviously him and Simon has worked together in the past but with the co-coordinator for simon do they have an underlying grudge or anything? Hope it works out well.
Pretty much this. Kind of wanted to see what Simon could do but it's hard to argue against this. Hopefully he has a large buyout this time.

Last edited:

Totally on-board with bringing Kirk back (if that's what he wants).

Tanner clearly had a good relationship with him and he knows PJ's philosophies as well as anyone.

Despite getting fired in 2020 from Penn St, his offensive yards per game at PSU were the highest of 2019, 2020, and 2021.

Regarding all the commentary about TE use, he used his TE almost twice as much as the TE was used at PSU in 2019.

It's almost as if KC will use whatever best offensive weapons he has, yet still try to make sure you can run the ball, something PSU could not do this year.

He could absolutely say Penn St is where I want to be, this is my home. Let’s go get a national championship. So you guys are saying he only moved to be closer to home? He left MN for more reasons than just to be closer to home. Penn St is a better job, I get that. More prestige, better talent, more money. I’m just a Gopher fan so I don’t love the guy just leaving and then we take him back. But he is a really solid coach so it’s tough.
No doubt it was a great opportunity too good to pass up, but if it’s USC or Oklahoma I don’t think he leaves.

Top Bottom