PJ Fleck or Less Miles?

The has-been versus the up-and-comer. No question about it: the latter.

What was everyone's favorite Fleck Gopher moment? (After all, he was listed, albeit on Wiki, as our head coach.)

Here is the Dungy comment inserted into the thread.

If you know it is going to cost you $4M year for a coach wouldn't you at least reach out and see if he would come back for that amount of dough? He is considered ethical and of high integrity. Could relate to the boosters and has more Superbowls then Harbaugh and Meyer together.

Hang up and listen.

Fleck or Miles.... Oh boy, now I'm going to be devastated when we hire the Edmonton Eskimos tight ends coach.

Lol - they do have a fast tempo offence but hugely conservative when they elect to punt on 3rd down. :)

Anybody else see the tweet from Michael Kim? No idea how reputable he is, but it definitely doesn't appear to be some bored high school kid tweeting it. I don't know how to post the actual tweet, but it says "Former LSU football coach Les Miles flew to Twin Cities Wed. and is meeting with Univ. of Minnesota officials, sources tell @120Sports." Tweeted at 3:49pm today (time stamp could be off)

EDIT: (added link) https://twitter.com/MichaelKim120/status/817126014786609152

I wonder with whom he was meeting. Kaler and Coyle were in Chicago yesterday, no:confused:

Andy Greder
‏@andygreder
Just received a message that throws a bucket of cold water on this afternoon's report about former LSU coach Les Miles being in Minnesota.

In response to the thread's subject, it's starting to look like "neither"...

Rather have Les then PJ. Rather have Sumlin than either one.

This. I wish there was steam to the Sumlin tumors but that doesn't seem so. I'd take Pelini over Les or PJ as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Are you just Dean Johnson? That would explain everything.
Sumlin isn't an actual option lol

Would you like to know...

Anyway, you posted this...

Coyle is looking for an explosive offense to fill the stands. Miles would fill the stands with his name alone. And we wouldn't have to completely rebuild our team for a new play-style. If Coyle is smart, this is what he will do.

Sumlin would fill the stands in both respects.

I wonder with whom he was meeting. Kaler and Coyle were in Chicago yesterday, no:confused:

Doogie and one of the other KSTP guys reported they were only in Chicago for about 4-5 hours. Were back in MN by 4:30pm. Didn't stay overnight in Chicago.

Would you like to know...

Anyway, you posted this...

Coyle is looking for an explosive offense to fill the stands. Miles would fill the stands with his name alone. And we wouldn't have to completely rebuild our team for a new play-style. If Coyle is smart, this is what he will do.

Sumlin would fill the stands in both respects.

This sounds like hinting at Jim Wacker.

Miles. Because that would be the name that would probably keep the current team in tact with zero transfers and give the U instant recruiting credibility.

He maybe a Tubby Smith type hire.. but let's be honest, that wasn't the worst hire we could of had.

Miles' Wikipedia page says he's our HC. So I'll go with him.

According to the Gopher's football Wikipedia page. Tim Brewster is the coach. And at one point today it was someone called 'Slick' Nick Lusk.

You can't compare the situation at Kansas to here. The last time Kansas won more than 3 games in a season was 2009.

You can't compare the situation at Kansas to here. The last time Kansas won more than 3 games in a season was 2009.
For sure you can’t compare them.
I doubt a guy who can’t win 4 games can win 11 games anywhere anymore though (which is why he was pushed out of Louisiana)

in this thread it is interesting to see Sumlin and Les’ names so popular with the group.
Minnesota would rather someone who failed at a high level than risk it with someone....at least in this thread

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Go Gophers!!

Probably a good example of why hot take / thinking about 'generating interest' with your hire .... might not be the best route to go.

IIRC there was a RUMOR that we contacted Les and asked if he was interested in a deal that would be a good salary, but nothing huge, with a big pool of money for assistants and some sort of heir apparent. Les said no.

Later he publicly stated he wanted to be at a place that could compete for a championship "now".

I think demand for Les was Les than Les anticipated.

Probably a good example of why hot take / thinking about 'generating interest' with your hire .... might not be the best route to go.

IIRC there was a RUMOR that we contacted Les and asked if he was interested in a deal that would be a good salary, but nothing huge, with a big pool of money for assistants and some sort of heir apparent. Les said no.

Later he publicly stated he wanted to be at a place that could compete for a championship "now".

I think demand for Les was Les than Les anticipated.
There are a lot of guys who could step into Nick Sagan’s program and be highly competitive for a while....see Ryan day at Ohio state doing the same thing Les Miles did at LSU.

Interesting to see the Bo Pelini and Kevin Sumlin love in this thread as well. Pelini is probably wearing a fake wig and mustache and fearing for his life as the DC at LSU, and Sumlin has cratered at Arizona and likely on his way out.

Interesting to see the Bo Pelini and Kevin Sumlin love in this thread as well. Pelini is probably wearing a fake wig and mustache and fearing for his life as the DC at LSU, and Sumlin has cratered at Arizona and likely on his way out.
It’s almost like Kevin sumlin took over for art briles at a school in Texas and had success because of it...and then he did well enough to parlay it into 2 contracts from power 5 schools

HC prospects are like crooting prospects.... who knows.

Herman was supposed to be the big get for that coach hiring cycle, not so much.

HC prospects are like crooting prospects.... who knows.

Herman was supposed to be the big get for that coach hiring cycle, not so much.
That’s true...

Tom Herman is 22-13 in conference with a Super Bowl win.

If he wasn’t at Texas he would be seen as only mildly not meeting expectations instead of completely falling short. Especially considering Texas didn’t have a single season over .500 in the 3 years preceding his hire.

Tom Herman is underrated right now. Too many good coaches at too many places to go from a non-bowl team to a every year national contender in just 3 seasons. Not many who could do it. Not many places they could do it at.

Top Bottom