Pitino's Weakness

I'm worried about when we have a lead at the end of games, if we will be able to run the clock and finish the game

This is the mentality I want to see change. I think we ran into trouble the last few years because we tried to run the clock and finish the game. I want our attitude late in ball games with a lead to be "drive the nail in and win the game", not "sit around and hope the clock strikes 0 before we lose the game".

This is the mentality I want to see change. I think we ran into trouble the last few years because we tried to run the clock and finish the game. I want our attitude late in ball games with a lead to be "drive the nail in and win the game", not "sit around and hope the clock strikes 0 before we lose the game".

+1. Nothing worse than watching a team with a 3 point lead dribble around for 35 seconds and then force up a bad shot... get a good look and bury 'em!

Kentucky fan here and think you guys have a great young coach in Pitino. I don't think you have anything to worry about with him. Sure he may make some mistakes here and there as he learns the ins and outs of being the head coach.. but the guy is going to be great. Richard is a driven guy, is hungry to prove himself much like his dad was when he was younger. In my opinion he's one of those young coaches people should keep an eye on, because he's going to be one of the great coaches down the road. I know I will be following you guys closely now and rooting for ya all the way. I felt bad when you guys hired Tubby, knew what you were getting there. He was going to get ya better, because he is a good coach but he wasn't going to get you all the way where you want to be.

With the right personnel in the right condition, mentally and physically, for the right pressing D you pretty much can. We don't have the personnel to pull that off yet. I do think Rich will find and recruit enough of the right players. 2 recruiting classes.

+1

First off i believe this will go down as the best hire in recent gophers basketball history(last 20 years), but that being said nobody can possibly be as perferct as richard right seems right now (especially to us gopher fans).... so i was just curious on what everyones thoughts were on what his weaknesses are going to be and pretty much just what hes going to struggle at

View attachment 2207

If his last name wasn't Pitino he'd sound a little bit like Brewster to me with his.....

- "recruit 24/7/365" talk

- His talk about upgrading our talent by bringing in "athletic playmakers"

- More than anything else, the idea to switch to a full court press/pressure type style. It reminds me a little of how Brewster was going to introduce the spread to the B1G & revolutionize the league.

If his last name wasn't Pitino he'd sound a little bit like Brewster to me with his.....

- "recruit 24/7/365" talk

- His talk about upgrading our talent by bringing in "athletic playmakers"

- More than anything else, the idea to switch to a full court press/pressure type style. It reminds me a little of how Brewster was going to introduce the spread to the B1G & revolutionize the league.

Brewster didn't have any college head coaching experience when he was hired. It's a lot different running a whole program than only being in charge of one aspect of that program. Pitino had a successful season at a school that only had 1 other winning conference season in it's history. All while having to replace half of his roster in the few months after his hire.
Not to mention Pitino has learned under the tuttelage of two HOF coaches. I don't quite see the similarities between Pitino and Brewster.

I don't quite see the similarities between Pitino and Brewster.

Plus, you know, they're coaching two completely different sports where even trying to compare coaches is ludicrous.

Brewster didn't have any college head coaching experience when he was hired. It's a lot different running a whole program than only being in charge of one aspect of that program. Pitino had a successful season at a school that only had 1 other winning conference season in it's history. All while having to replace half of his roster in the few months after his hire.
Not to mention Pitino has learned under the tuttelage of two HOF coaches. I don't quite see the similarities between Pitino and Brewster.

I basically agree with your post, but the similarity I see are both are forced to compete against outstanding, experienced B1G coaches. The only concern I have with Coach P. is how long it will take to compete against the Izzo's etc. I hope everyone is patient, because it's a very good group he's up against and always has been.

One single season of head coaching experience, at a small time school like FIU, does not prove he's ready to lead a B1G program to the top. I hope to hell he is but I'm not convinced of it just because he coached FIU for one season.

It's cool that Rich learned under a couple HOF'ers, but I thought the same about Brewster learning under the tutelage of Marty Schettenheimer & Mike Shannahan, where'd that get us?

I want to be clear that I'm not bashing Pitino, I'm happy to have him, but he is unproven & a bit of a gamble. He does not have a track record to judge him on & his first assistant coach hire was a convicted drug dealer.

I'm interested to see what we end up with in terms of recruits. Brewster also had a ton of top guys giving us the time of day because of his excellent connections & at the end of the day most went elsewhere. I sense that's what's happening with Pitino as well. Most of these high profile guys are looking at us, but will eventually sign with the top dogs & we'll be looking at plan B's & plan C's. The upside is those plan B's & C's are still pretty good players & we have the advantage of having some excellent players right here in our back yard. Vaughn wants to be a Gopher imo & always has. He's giving us every opportunity to woo him. Travis is another one who is 'gettable'. If he can land Vaughn, Travis & Macura he won't need any of those top out-of-state guys.

As for his up-tempo style, I'm all for it. I'm just not convinced it'll work yet. I was all for Brewster bringing in the spread too. We as fans love to say things like "How is Wisconsin going to stop our speed in this new offense?" but I assure you the Wisconsin fans are thinking "Hard to run 'n' gun when we're up 45-43 with 1.6 seconds left in the game & we have the ball."

One single season of head coaching experience, at a small time school like FIU, does not prove he's ready to lead a B1G program to the top. I hope to hell he is but I'm not convinced of it just because he coached FIU for one season.

It's cool that Rich learned under a couple HOF'ers, but I thought the same about Brewster learning under the tutelage of Marty Schettenheimer & Mike Shannahan, where'd that get us?

I want to be clear that I'm not bashing Pitino, I'm happy to have him, but he is unproven & a bit of a gamble. He does not have a track record to judge him on & his first assistant coach hire was a convicted drug dealer.

I'm interested to see what we end up with in terms of recruits. Brewster also had a ton of top guys giving us the time of day because of his excellent connections & at the end of the day most went elsewhere. I sense that's what's happening with Pitino as well. Most of these high profile guys are looking at us, but will eventually sign with the top dogs & we'll be looking at plan B's & plan C's. The upside is those plan B's & C's are still pretty good players & we have the advantage of having some excellent players right here in our back yard. Vaughn wants to be a Gopher imo & always has. He's giving us every opportunity to woo him. Travis is another one who is 'gettable'. If he can land Vaughn, Travis & Macura he won't need any of those top out-of-state guys.

As for his up-tempo style, I'm all for it. I'm just not convinced it'll work yet. I was all for Brewster bringing in the spread too. We as fans love to say things like "How is Wisconsin going to stop our speed in this new offense?" but I assure you the Wisconsin fans are thinking "Hard to run 'n' gun when we're up 45-43 with 1.6 seconds left in the game & we have the ball."

+1

I'm sorry it doesn't impress you that he almost made the tourney last year despite having to bring in 8 new players. It impressed me. And as far as Kimani Young goes, he wasn't arrested for drugs he was arrested with Marijuana. Big difference.

When I watch Wisconsin I think how come nobody presses them, if we press them after every made basket, than they'll have to play fast. Last year in Madison when we started fast I thought if Tubby had done that we could've stomped on their throats early

When I watch Wisconsin I think how come nobody presses them, if we press them after every made basket, than they'll have to play fast. Last year in Madison when we started fast I thought if Tubby had done that we could've stomped on their throats early

There was a lot of that the past six years.

There was a lot of that the past six years.

I think the type of press Pitino wants to run is alot more aggressive than Tubby's half ass press he ran most of the time. Once in a while we'd ramp up the pressure but most of the time he would run that weak press just to run a few seconds off the shot clock.

I'm sorry it doesn't impress you that he almost made the tourney last year despite having to bring in 8 new players. It impressed me. And as far as Kimani Young goes, he wasn't arrested for drugs he was arrested with Marijuana. Big difference.

Sure I'm impressed, but it's one season of small time basketball. Dan Monson was impressive before he came here too. I'm just saying, if you've been a Gopher fan for a while you start to see a pattern where every single new coach is the one who's finally got it all figured out & then they have to actually play the games.

Young wasn't busted for drugs, just marijuana? Someone should have told the judge because he went served time in Federal prison for it. Also, it was 96 POUNDS of marijuana, not a dime bag. I'm not saying he's not a good guy. Obviously he's well connected in the NYC basketball community, but you have to admit it was a bold first hire for a 30 y/o coach in his first big job.

Sure I'm impressed, but it's one season of small time basketball. Dan Monson was impressive before he came here too. I'm just saying, if you've been a Gopher fan for a while you start to see a pattern where every single new coach is the one who's finally got it all figured out & then they have to actually play the games.

Young wasn't busted for drugs, just marijuana? Someone should have told the judge because he went served time in Federal prison for it. Also, it was 96 POUNDS of marijuana, not a dime bag. I'm not saying he's not a good guy. Obviously he's well connected in the NYC basketball community, but you have to admit it was a bold first hire for a 30 y/o coach in his first big job.
Ill say it, he's not a good guy if he had possession of 96 lbs of an illegal substance.

Pitino reminds me a lot more of Lou Holtz than Tim Brewster, and I mean that as a compliment. Maybe the U can learn from its past mistakes and get it right this time ... ie, do what they need to, to keep their guy. (Yes, Holtz was keepable).

Kentucky fan here and think you guys have a great young coach in Pitino. I don't think you have anything to worry about with him. Sure he may make some mistakes here and there as he learns the ins and outs of being the head coach.. but the guy is going to be great. Richard is a driven guy, is hungry to prove himself much like his dad was when he was younger. In my opinion he's one of those young coaches people should keep an eye on, because he's going to be one of the great coaches down the road. I know I will be following you guys closely now and rooting for ya all the way. I felt bad when you guys hired Tubby, knew what you were getting there. He was going to get ya better, because he is a good coach but he wasn't going to get you all the way where you want to be.

Thanks.

Wrt Tubby, he started out well here, seemed fired up, had 2 very good recruiting classes, but then some bad luck hit with injuries and suspensions (particularly Royce White) and he seemed to lack the fire to fight through it. It was just all downhill from there. When he got fired you sure didn't see any MN players (current or former) coming forth and saying "man, I loved playing for Tubby."

Costa Rican: Doesn't that cloud of gloom over your world leave you for even one minute during a day? Or is the sky aways pi$$in on you?

Costa Rican: Doesn't that cloud of gloom over your world leave you for even one minute during a day? Or is the sky aways pi$$in on you?

Yes it does :)!

This thread is called "Pitino's Weakness", I'm just not sure how to make that topic sound shiny & happy I guess? Again, I like Pitino. I think he's a good hire. I think he's got loads of potential. What I don't think is that he's a proven commodity or that this style is absolutely guaranteed to work in the B1G.

The B1G (both hoops & foots) is a special animal. Many coaches have had to adapt or couldn't adapt to it. Brewster went from "We're gonna bring the SEC spread to the Midwest" to "Pound The Rock" in 18 months. Kill went from a Zone Read to Maryland I/Pound The Rock in 24 months. Monson came from Gonzaga & found his finesse style just didn't work in the B1G. etc. There's nothing I want more than to see this uptempo pressing style of play succeed, I'm just not 100% positive it will.

Really trivial, but maybe someone can help me out. More than a few times in this thread it was stated "he worked for a couple of HOF coaches". Obviously his father was just inducted, who is the other HOF coach he worked under?

Right now I would have to say his biggest weakness is a lack of on the court results for the Gophers. He has been the coach of this team for several months now, and despite some great conditioning results from Mo, generating interest among top-100 recruits, and energizing the fan base, he hasn't managed to turn any of it into even a single win for the program.

Really trivial, but maybe someone can help me out. More than a few times in this thread it was stated "he worked for a couple of HOF coaches". Obviously his father was just inducted, who is the other HOF coach he worked under?

While Billy Donovan isn't in the HOF yet, he is pretty much a lock. He should be eligible in a couple years.

And as far as Kimani Young goes, he wasn't arrested for drugs he was arrested with Marijuana. Big difference.

No, it's not different. Don't be an idiot. Whether or not you as a private citizen think something should be illegal has zero bearing on whether it actually is illegal.

While Billy Donovan isn't in the HOF yet, he is pretty much a lock. He should be eligible in a couple years.

Understood.

He seems to be good when addressing the media. He's clever at filling his roster quickly. He certainly did a remarkable job last year. Too lazy to look it up, but I don't think his squad lost more than 2 in a row at anytime last year. I would have to assume his team improved during the course of the year since they made it to the championship game in the Sun Belt tourney. He's after some highly regarded recruits. He seems driven. I haven't read any disparaging comments from previous players. Threw the study area/practice court together quickly. I guess I would agree with a previous poster, the weakness would be experience. Has to be extremely exciting for him to match wits with the likes of Izzo, Ryan, Matta, etc. Tremendous opportunity. If we think we're anxious to see what he can do, just think how excited he is to prove himself. What better way to overcome the experience issue than to go head to head against MSU, Michigan, Wisconsin, Ohio State?.... Should be a fun year.

No, it's not different. Don't be an idiot. Whether or not you as a private citizen think something should be illegal has zero bearing on whether it actually is illegal.

Nice. Name Calling. If he got caught with 96 kilo's of cocaine or heroin he wouod have gotten alot more time than 1 year. Yes it is different.

CLEAR OUT, EVERYBODY!! GIVE DPO AND CLUTCH SOME ROOM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Top Bottom