Pitino era is over, start the search now.

LakevilleBro

Reaction score
Same result the last 2 home games. We get a lead and completely lose it in the 2nd half. No points in the last 5:25 in the last game, and only ONE field goal in the last 7:18 in the game today. The team looked like it was being coached by parent, at a local health club gym.

Like others I have supported Pitino and enjoy his interviews. After having season tickets for years I dropped them 2 years ago because we did not have a consistently competitive team . Fast forward 2 years and we are not making progress and this is with major D1 talent in our state. These last two games have been brutal and it's time for a change.

USU is 22-7, looks like they can easily finish the regular season 24-7, pick up another couple wins in the MWC tourny, then a showdown with SDSU for the champ game.

Had a couple nice years at South Dakota (not North, not State :cool: ) as well.

I hope Coyle has had feelers out to him for a while and will be giving him a soft offer soon (if not already tonight).

Seems like a potential Fleck hire to me.

USU is 22-7, looks like they can easily finish the regular season 24-7, pick up another couple wins in the MWC tourny, then a showdown with SDSU for the champ game.

Had a couple nice years at South Dakota (not North, not State :cool: ) as well.

I hope Coyle has had feelers out to him for a while and will be giving him a soft offer soon (if not already tonight).

Seems like a potential Fleck hire to me.

The part in bold is what makes him interesting. That job is terrible and he did pretty well there. USU has had some struggles this year. The lost toBoise was ugly, but he seems to coach D lol. Need to see his recruiting acumen as that hasn't been seen fully yet in my eyes. I'm a fan for sure. May end up having Tim Miles as an assistant too.

They beat Boise and UNLV, though, in the 2nd game. Also swept Niko’s CO State.

If we’re going the MWC route, CS seems like a better choice to me than Niko.

They beat Boise and UNLV, though, in the 2nd game. Also swept Niko’s CO State.

If we’re going the MWC route, CS seems like a better choice to me than Niko.

Don't disagree with your opinion there. Craig Smith has been one of my top choices for awhile of the crop of guys I think we could get (Over Musselman and others who people continually bring up). Just proof there is no sure thing. Nikos been intriguing too though. Craig came into a better roster situation for sure.

Niko is 13 games under .500 overall and about to have his 3 winning season out of 7. Don’t understand the fascination with him.
Probably just because he’s a Mpls native and UMN alumni? Looks like he mainly had that one really nice season at Furman, so far. Definitely improving CO St year 2 over year 1. I’m sure he’ll get a P5 opportunity if he keeps improving.

Niko is 13 games under .500 overall and about to have his 3 winning season out of 7. Don’t understand the fascination with him.
He's not a quick fix guy. It shows cause his teams do ok after he leaves too which shows he leaves the cupboards full. CSU will be better next year. You are right that there isn't a ton of data in support of it yet

Probably just because he’s a Mpls native and UMN alumni? Looks like he mainly had that one really nice season at Furman, so far. Definitely improving CO St year 2 over year 1. I’m sure he’ll get a P5 opportunity if he keeps improving.
he would have more of a resume than the current coach when he was hired but that’s about it.

He's not a quick fix guy. It shows cause his teams do ok after he leaves too which shows he leaves the cupboards full. CSU will be better next year. You are right that there isn't a ton of data in support of it yet
As Mpls pointed out it seems part of his appeal is the “one of us angle”.

Dude, I suppose you think we should get rid of Fleck because he went 1-10 his first season at WMU and 5-7 his first season at UMn??? lol

He turned a 9-21 Furman team into a 23-11 squad 3 seasons later.

Now he's turned a 12-20 CSU team into a 17-8 team from year 1 to year 2.

And if he has early success, as a UMn alum he might stick around and not be looking for a better job right away like another coach might? And he's fairly young, too.

the players are making this an easy decision. It was the Iowa home game in year 7 that really sealed the deal in my estimation.

Pitino should get the axe at the end of the year - Coyle is probably looking hard right now for his replacement.

Dude, I suppose you think we should get rid of Fleck because he went 1-10 his first season at WMU and 5-7 his first season at UMn??? lol

He turned a 9-21 Furman team into a 23-11 squad 3 seasons later.

Now he's turned a 12-20 CSU team into a 17-8 team from year 1 to year 2.

And if he has early success, as a UMn alum he might stick around and not be looking for a better job right away like another coach might? And he's fairly young, too.
Dude, do you understand the huge difference between turning around a football program compared to a basketball program? Your Fleck reference is just plain ignorant.

Pitino went from an 8 win season to a 24 win season the following year. He is on his way to getting fired a few years later. Medved's rise isn't as meteoric as you are trying to make it.

the players are making this an easy decision. It was the Iowa home game in year 7 that really sealed the deal in my estimation.

Pitino should get the axe at the end of the year - Coyle is probably looking hard right now for his replacement.
If Pitino could win the Axe we would not be looking to fire him!

Same result the last 2 home games. We get a lead and completely lose it in the 2nd half. No points in the last 5:25 in the last game, and only ONE field goal in the last 7:18 in the game today. The team looked like it was being coached by parent, at a local health club gym.
That's insulting to every dad coaching at the YMCA.

Whenever it happens, Coyle is going to shoot for the moon. That's why I've been saying don't count Beilein out. There were folks three years ago saying that Fleck would walk right past Minnesota to a different opportunity.

So the question is, what would shooting the moon mean when it came to an up-and-coming basketball hire--in other words, a Fleck hire? Who's the hottest young prospect out there? I think Smith would be one. Others?

Whenever it happens, Coyle is going to shoot for the moon. That's why I've been saying don't count Beilein out. There were folks three years ago saying that Fleck would walk right past Minnesota to a different opportunity.

So the question is, what would shooting the moon mean when it came to an up-and-coming basketball hire--in other words, a Fleck hire? Who's the hottest young prospect out there? I think Smith would be one. Others?
The more I hear about Beilein he sounds like Tubby 2.0. Left for the NBA because he's 67 and didn't like the college grind. Maybe the pressure is less at MN than Michigan, but I just don't see it happening.

The more I hear about Beilein he sounds like Tubby 2.0. Left for the NBA because he's 67 and didn't like the college grind. Maybe the pressure is less at MN than Michigan, but I just don't see it happening.
Concur. Even if he works out, for how long?

Dude, do you understand the huge difference between turning around a football program compared to a basketball program? Your Fleck reference is just plain ignorant.

Pitino went from an 8 win season to a 24 win season the following year. He is on his way to getting fired a few years later. Medved's rise isn't as meteoric as you are trying to make it.

Oh, yeah, going from 8 wins to 24 is so average and typical, isn't it? lol Oh wait, Pitino came one win away from breaking the NCAA record I believe? And yes, I understand the difference between turning around a football program and a bb program. I'm not saying Medved is a sure fire home run hire, but he's an alum, so IF he has a ton of success right away, we might not have to worry about losing him. Nothing I hate more than 3 years with one coach only to do 3-4 years with another coach only to move on to another coach. That doesn't work well when you want recruits to believe the coach that recruits them will actually be there for their entire career at the school.

And neither Furman or CSU are cbb blue bloods, so it's not like they are easy programs to recruit to or to coach to winning seasons? Or am I wrong?

I mean, personally, I thought we should have hired Flip Saunders instead of Pitino, and I was also ok with the idea of snagging Musselman, was it last year we could have gotten him maybe? But now that we have stuck with Pitino, I'd probably prefer that we stick with Pitino either for the long haul, or long enough to see how well someone like Medved does at CSU. I'm guessing he'd love to come home and coach the Gophers, but would local boys know who he is and would any of them want to play for him? I'm not sure, I don't follow him personally. Either way I trust Coyle will do what's best for the University.

I don’t agree that shooting the moon jives with the Fleck hire, in the first place. The way some people here describe Beilein, the correct analogy for that would’ve been hiring Saban away from Alabama.

Fleck was hot ... but still a G5 coach. Almost all G5 coaches, regardless how successful at that level, represent some level of risk, since it is unknown if they can replicate that success at the P5 level.

The proper analogy for MBB then, would be a successful mid-major coach.

Here it is in a nut shell. If Coyle wants to makes a change, it better be a proven coach and an upgrade. if you are making a lateral move, just to make a move, that will only hurt the program.

No reaching or guessing. No High School Coaches.... No coaches that can't coach in Mid Major Conf...…. No up and coming coaches from the bottom conferences...…

I will wait to make judgement on RP until the season has ended.

I don't think Beilein is happening here either, but for me the big difference is that some of Tubby's success is attributed (rightly or not) to a team he inherited at Kentucky.

I liked Tubby, I think we were so close to breaking through (if Devoe, Royce, and Cobb could have all stayed and played). I also was ok with the decision to move on when we did.

I do think Beilein is a higher caliber coach than Tubby though. Tubby wouldn't have been offered a job in the NBA.

Here it is in a nut shell. If Coyle wants to makes a change, it better be a proven coach and an upgrade. if you are making a lateral move, just to make a move, that will only hurt the program.

No reaching or guessing. No High School Coaches.... No coaches that can't coach in Mid Major Conf...…. No up and coming coaches from the bottom conferences...…

I will wait to make judgement on RP until the season has ended.

If the Gophers would have hired Brady Hoke to replace Brewster, and Hoke never made a bowl game here, would it have been a bad decision to fire Brewster?

Top Bottom