PIRSIG WATCH

For some reason I trust your right on this one Carlos. You have easily been the most down-to-earth, reasonable rabdo fan to ever frequent these parts. We could have a very exciting class with a Pirsig commit. By the way, is it pronounced Purrsig or Piersig? Just wondering.

Also, I too enjoy beer, and 12 of them at that. If there is any room for a 12 beer threesome just let me know!

To be fair to Carlos, my college buddy who lives in Fairmont told me tonight that word has been pretty strong for a week or two he was going to be a Gopher. We will see I guess, but when he says word is out in the area he really isn't lying.

I have to agree, I think Carlos has been pretty stand up with his passing of info. Now, this could all be a plot to "fool" us or something, but that's not how it reads. Doesn't mean he's right and I'll assume he's not, but even if he turns out to be wrong something tells me he won't come running back here to gloat (don't ruin my faith in what little humanity Iowa fans possess Carlos ;)).

It's been a really hard spell for Gopher fans so I don't want to get my hopes up and haven't. It seems we've got the coaching foundation in place, we just need the athletes with desire to make it happen.

If he picks the Gophers then great if not I will wish him well and hope he gets his degree.

To be fair to Carlos, my college buddy who lives in Fairbault told me tonight that word has been pretty strong for a week or two he was going to be a Gopher. We will see I guess, but when he says word is out in the area he really isn't lying.

If it is true that he is aq GOpher, thrn Yippee Ka-Yeeeeeeeaye!

It seems as though it's really going to happen. And if it does, I will gladly eat crow.

If he really does choose the Gophers, I drastically underestimated two things: 1. his desire to stay close to home; and 2. Kill and Co's ability to sell the program.

Does Pirsig live on a farm? I recall many moons ago, before Brewster even got the hook, that someone on this board brought up Jerry Kill as a possible replacement and one of the reasons that was cited was Kill's farming background.

off topic: my gopher games at Kinnick the IA fans have been super nice. One family actually had brought sandwiches into the game and offered to share with us.

It seems as though it's really going to happen. And if it does, I will gladly eat crow.

If he really does choose the Gophers, I drastically underestimated two things: 1. his desire to stay close to home; and 2. Kill and Co's ability to sell the program.

Specifically on point #2, I think Kill's ability to sell is being underrated anyway, regardless of Pirsig's decision. I mean, I know all of his commits aren't 3,4 star guys with multiple BCS offers, but he still has commitments from 17 guys before we've even hit August. His class is gonna be darn near completed before fall season starts at this rate, that's just ridiculous considering what we usually see around here.

Specifically on point #2, I think Kill's ability to sell is being underrated anyway, regardless of Pirsig's decision. I mean, I know all of his commits aren't 3,4 star guys with multiple BCS offers, but he still has commitments from 17 guys before we've even hit August. His class is gonna be darn near completed before fall season starts at this rate, that's just ridiculous considering what we usually see around here.

I've actually been a pretty big supporter of Kill's recruiting so far. I really think we shouldn't judge these players for a couple years and because of Kill's track record of winning, i'll give him the benefit of the doubt that he see's something in some of these guys and isn't afraid to be the first to offer.

However, just playing devil's advocate about your point, it should be easy to fill a class up when twelve (just throwing a number out) didn't have any other BCS offers. Getting kids to commit who really aren't getting offers from anywhere else isn't really a tell of being a great salesman. It's like the guy who scores with tons of fat girls, he isn't really a ladies man, he just has lower standards.

The counter argument to your point is that Kill should have only offered the best 7-9 from this class, and we should be at 9 commits (presumably the best 9) and still be in the middle of the recruiting wars with higher ranked athletes and went after the Western Michigan guys as fall back plans.

I'm not saying that's what I want. I am just saying that a valid argument could be made that our class being at 17 right now isn't necessarily a sign of Kill being the best salesman. It might be indicitive of him not wanting to be a salesman. I'm not blasting this method at all, frankly, i've never been a college football coach and he has a history of success. So until it starts being evident that it isn't working, i'll assume he knows best.

On Iowa fans:

I think it is important to note that in almost all my experiences Iowa fans in Iowa are pleasant.
In almost all my experience Iowa fans in Minnesota are jerks.

I think he picks Minnesota. Also fans should keep their expectations of him down a little. He is great potential but is a little raw still.

I agree Rose, he is an exceptional talent and has endless potentional as he is 6'8" and is very athletic for that size; however, he will need a lot of work on technique and strength when he arrives at college. Probably not a guy that is going to come in and start as a Freshman, but one that may leave after three years of playing (4 total), depending on how that potential shakes out. I would guess where ever he goes he gets a RS thrown on his and lives in the weight room.

IMO, Hayes is possibly a kid that could come in as a Frosh and play, I think he is that good. He is pretty seasoned and has tremendous strength for a HS Sr. Possibly take over for Wynn for us? I hate to put Eslinger type expectations on the kid but I think he is a unique talent.

I agree Sonny and Rose...

Pirsig has unlimited potential but he is raw. Heck, in the tapes, Sam Lee (other Blue Earth OL) looks more ready RIGHT NOW. I think Hayes comes in and plays right away (he really reminds me of Tommy Olson) but I think Pirsig's ceiling is a little higher.

Pirsig sort of reminds me of Gjere with more a tad more potential.

I've actually been a pretty big supporter of Kill's recruiting so far. I really think we shouldn't judge these players for a couple years and because of Kill's track record of winning, i'll give him the benefit of the doubt that he see's something in some of these guys and isn't afraid to be the first to offer.

However, just playing devil's advocate about your point, it should be easy to fill a class up when twelve (just throwing a number out) didn't have any other BCS offers. Getting kids to commit who really aren't getting offers from anywhere else isn't really a tell of being a great salesman. It's like the guy who scores with tons of fat girls, he isn't really a ladies man, he just has lower standards.

The counter argument to your point is that Kill should have only offered the best 7-9 from this class, and we should be at 9 commits (presumably the best 9) and still be in the middle of the recruiting wars with higher ranked athletes and went after the Western Michigan guys as fall back plans.

I'm not saying that's what I want. I am just saying that a valid argument could be made that our class being at 17 right now isn't necessarily a sign of Kill being the best salesman. It might be indicitive of him not wanting to be a salesman. I'm not blasting this method at all, frankly, i've never been a college football coach and he has a history of success. So until it starts being evident that it isn't working, i'll assume he knows best.

I know that's a factor, but it's not like Brewster didn't have his share of "undercover" prospects who didn't have a BCS offers, especially considering he was offering tons of guys. A lot of times, with guys like that, they still wait for better offers, or at least a few more. I'm positive more than a couple of Kill's current commits would have (and still could) garner more BCS offers if they waited on committing, but they decided to go ahead and do it now. I think Kill is a big part of that. I'll admit, a lot of it is my Maroon and Gold bias and hope lol, but I do think there's some credence to it.

Getting kids to commit who really aren't getting offers from anywhere else isn't really a tell of being a great salesman. It's like the guy who scores with tons of fat girls, he isn't really a ladies man, he just has lower standards.

You got something against fat girls?

It's like the guy who scores with tons of fat girls, he isn't really a ladies man, he just has lower standards.

hey!

The bigger the waist band the deeper the quicksand.

You guys are too kind! It's pronounced Purrsig. He's raw but man is he gonna be a good one! Sounds like tomorrow or Thursday he'll announce his commitment to the Gophers. Don't quote me on that though.

Actually, you said it before me so I should be buying you the beers but I'll tell you what, why don't we buy each other 12 beers and then this way we both drink for free.

Oh that's genius! I'll be staying at the Marriott City Center. Look me up!

Oh that's genius! I'll be staying at the Marriott City Center. Look me up!

If you are right, I'll drive down to the City Center and pay for your breakfast there (they have a killer breakfast buffet).

The counter argument to your counter argument could be that not all those "Western Michigan" guys will be available to be "fallback guys." The Michigan State's and other schools may have that same plan. I could see a kid who doesn't get an offer right away and sees himself as a "backup plan" not wanting to commit because of that.

I don't disagree with what you're saying though, it's a tough process. Kill's strategy seems to be to just go out and get the guys they want and not worry about anything else.

You guys are too kind! It's pronounced Purrsig. He's raw but man is he gonna be a good one! Sounds like tomorrow or Thursday he'll announce his commitment to the Gophers. Don't quote me on that though.

I know we're all in the same boat, and hope this Carlos guy is on the level...but I can't help get the feeling that he thinks he's about to pull what he feels is an epic prank on the Gopher faithful. Call me a cynic, but he seems a little too happy for us considering his allegiance to our hick-ish brothers to the south. Has anyone done any recon into whats going on in the Iowa boards to see if they've conceded Pirsig?

Personally, though I want to see MN best go to the U, at the same time, if there is better players available from other states, I am all right with that as well, especially since MN usually only has a few players per year that actually are Div 1 prospects.

Along with that, though I think the stars are helpful and generally are meaningful in regards to players abilities, they are not an absolute. Players are still developing and with proper coaching can make something of themselves. Decker and McKnight are proof, along with some MN linemen.

The counter argument to your counter argument could be that not all those "Western Michigan" guys will be available to be "fallback guys." The Michigan State's and other schools may have that same plan. I could see a kid who doesn't get an offer right away and sees himself as a "backup plan" not wanting to commit because of that.

I don't disagree with what you're saying though, it's a tough process. Kill's strategy seems to be to just go out and get the guys they want and not worry about anything else.

Your point is absolutely valid. I guess I was just trying to illustrate that when you are a Big 10 university, getting a high number of kids without any other BCS offers to commit, isn't necessarily indicitive of Kill being able to sell the program.

But you're right that quite a few of these guys appear to be players who certainly would be offered by someone else if they were available in a few months (probably will be anyways).

I do like that Coach Kill seems to be putting an emphasis on making sure these kids will arrive in Dinkytown and stay till the they leave (kids that really want to be here, academics, etc.), and like I said, because he has been a winner everywhere he's gone, I will defer to his expertise in picking players and not nitpick about whether or not they have other offers or their rating, etc.

I guess I was just playing devil's advocate.

I know we're all in the same boat, and hope this Carlos guy is on the level...but I can't help get the feeling that he thinks he's about to pull what he feels is an epic prank on the Gopher faithful. Call me a cynic, but he seems a little too happy for us considering his allegiance to our hick-ish brothers to the south. Has anyone done any recon into whats going on in the Iowa boards to see if they've conceded Pirsig?

I did a little snooping around earlier today, and found these quotes from posters at HawkeyeNation.com (I feel dirty just typing that, but I console myself that it was in the name of research):

"Rumors are that he's a big lean to Minny."

"Rumors have flown all over the place about Pirsig leaning towards Wisky at one time ... now Minny at another."

"I've checked into it more. There seems to be word out around the area where Pirsig lives that he's going to be going to Minnesota. Multiple posters with different team allegiances seem to be confirming this. Given that usually where there's smoke there's fire ... I'm now anticipating for Pirsig to pull the trigger for the Gophers. A very good "get" for the Gophers."

Who knows if any of these guys have any clue what they're talking about, but it seems to be gaining steam as more than just idle internet rumors. Let's hope we find out in the next couple days!

Top Bottom