Pioneer Press article on Henry Ellenson- comments on Wally's lack of PT

I am just going to assume you have no evidence for your assertions.

Obviously he has some advanced stats that only he is capable of truly interpreting. Maybe Wally's ORtg or his Efg% is off the charts. Or maybe somebody in the family talked to him instead of brushing him off. A little attention goes a long way if you're always trying to impress people.

Obviously he has some advanced stats that only he is capable of truly interpreting. Maybe Wally's ORtg or his Efg% is off the charts. Or maybe somebody in the family talked to him instead of brushing him off. A little attention goes a long way if you're always trying to impress people.

Since free throws don't matter, Wally's 25% career FT percentage is immaterial. GW is impressed by his career FG percentage (over 30%) and especially his 3PT percentage (which has climbed above 20% this season).

Great family, great kids, underrated players.

They could be a great family, they could be great kids, they could be underrated players. However, even if all those are true, Wally still needs to earn his spot on the floor. The fact is he has not yet done that and the available evidence suggests he isn't moving in the right direction. I hope he does, but only Wally can make that decision. He has to want to be great; that want must be manifest through action.

I thought this article was strange: why feature Henry Ellenson in the article and lump him in with two Minnesota kids in Jarvis and Alex? To me, if they were going to focus on the top 3 recruits for 2015, it would be a no-brainer to make Alex or Jarvis the focus and Henry a footnote. It also doesn't take a genius to figure out Minnesota (or any other program) is not going to get the brother of a kid who is riding the pine for two seasons.

As far as I know Wally is a competitor. He has some nice reported offers for basketball out of high school and has competed at a very high level in the high jump for his age group. I think it would be natural for a kid to be less than thrilled with not playing, I'd worry about having a kid on the bench who was happy to be there.

The buzz as of early fall was that Pitino was sitting very well with the 2015 kids and I can't imagine that the performance of the team through this point in the season would be a detriment to whatever relationships have been built. In some ways, Jarvis and Alex are even more important to the program than their ratings suggest. Coach Pitino needs to land his first in-state prospect and stop what has been a NEW trend of highly regarded kids leaving the state.

Since free throws don't matter, Wally's 25% career FT percentage is immaterial. GW is impressed by his career FG percentage (over 30%) and especially his 3PT percentage (which has climbed above 20% this season).

Thank you, bleed. Could you break it down even more and compare it to other BIG players who sit on the end of the bench and seldom see the floor? Also, any legal and medical insights on Wally we should be blessed with?

This one sucks, but it is what it is. I've heard twice in the last month or so of reports where Mrs Ellenson was bad mouthing the program. Doesn't make her a bad person, but she's not a fan of the program anymore, imo (not the state itself or the people). My guess is that Wally will switch to track full time or transfer out. Maybe it's the wrong system for Wally? Maybe it's the new regime? Maybe he's just not as good as everyone hoped he was? Maybe his real shot at competing on the next level is via track and field? Whatever, there's some bad blood I think & Henry's not coming here. It sucks too because Henry's an amazing talent. NBA level talent imo. I know I'll get killed for this, but I think he's PERFECT for Wisconsin's system. I hope I'm wrong on that. I'd love too see him leave the B1G.

When I think Wisconsin basketball I think very unselfish and playing for the team. I didn't get the same vibe from Henry in that article, I got it from Alex though

Maybe it's the wrong system for Wally? Maybe it's the new regime?

Remember that Wally didn't play in the old system under the old regime, either, and he and his parents have complained that his freshman year was wasted. They also complained about his coach in his jr year at HS, and transferred to Rice Lake his senior year.

So along with Pitino this year, that's 3 of the last 4 coaches who have been criticized by the family.

The current question is how enticing the Gophers are to Minnesota's next Big Three, headlined by Ellenson

He has an offer from Minnesota and Big Ten rivals Indiana, Wisconsin, Purdue, Michigan State and Wisconsin.

Not only is a kid from Wisconsin part of Minnesota's next Big 3, but he apparently has two offers from Wisconsin. Really excellent journalism.

Maybe Gary Andersen is recruiting him to be their next TE. :p

Remember that Wally didn't play in the old system under the old regime, either, and he and his parents have complained that his freshman year was wasted. They also complained about his coach in his jr year at HS, and transferred to Rice Lake his senior year.

So along with Pitino this year, that's 3 of the last 4 coaches who have been criticized by the family.

This.

I hear the sounds of a helicopter.

When I think Wisconsin basketball I think very unselfish and playing for the team. I didn't get the same vibe from Henry in that article, I got it from Alex though

Totally agree with your take on the stark differences between what Alex was saying, and what Henry was saying. Alex was speaking in terms of team first type answers, while basically all of Henry's answers were centered around his own personal skills, and how every coach is so impressed by his basketball talent (One specific example was was how all coaches love to see his great skillz in the open floor, which I found rather funny).

The U is too close to the Ellenson household in Wisconsin, Wally can't flourish with two strong camps (his parents and Patino) telling him what is right and wrong. In the end his parents are the stronger voice in Wally's head, and with Henry it would be just the same, happy he isn't coming here even knowing his talents.

This one sucks, but it is what it is. I've heard twice in the last month or so of reports where Mrs Ellenson was bad mouthing the program.

Okay, character flaw in me, but I'm hoping for a 4,000 word diatribe from Wally blasting Pitino. I can already see the line. "My mom's best friend, Gopher Warrior, thinks I'm a great player."

Okay, character flaw in me, but I'm hoping for a 4,000 word diatribe from Wally blasting Pitino. I can already see the line. "My mom's best friend, Gopher Warrior, thinks I'm a great player."

I'd pay Wally to write it.

Thankfully Wally doesn't seem like the type of kid to draw attention to himself like that.

Thankfully Wally doesn't seem like the type of kid to draw attention to himself like that.

Agreed. I think it is more likely that his dad would write it, sign Wally's name to it, and then send it to every reporter in the country because he is convinced that his kids should have eleven highlights on Sportscenter's top 10 every day.

Wow there is so much more to the HS story....much of what you wrote here is a big stretch.

Guys, it's simple. Another example of buy them for what they're worth, sell them for what they think they're worth, lots of profit.

Pitino is Minnesota, Minnesota is Pitino. The Ellensons are different, they're not like the Pitinos. We believe in the Pitino family, and Richard is the face of Minnesota basketball. Buy, Pitino!

Top Bottom