Pioneer Press article on Henry Ellenson- comments on Wally's lack of PT

No. A sabbatical is a long term leave of absence. Parski is on permanent disability. Permanent disability means "he gone".

Doc, maybe we should start awarding monthly 'Parski Awards' for those certain kinds of posts.

It's pretty simple to me and I don't know you refute this-the mother retweeting the article was spitting in the eye of the Gophers' program. Since Wally has been a Gopher, three stories stick out to me in relation to him: this one, the mother's comments about how she wasn't happy with the Gophers getting rid of Tubby Smith (hey, that's why Real Truth's here!) and the practice kerfluffle earlier this year that we heard about through Wally's father. When this defines your era as a player, you're probably not long for the program.

Assuming we are talking about the OP article, I don't find it that out of the ordinary that a mom would retweet an article in which her son has quotes in.

The hypocrisy and hate is sad.

I don't think the Gopher fan base is unique in this respect (over-emotional herd that will turn on anyone for no good reason in a split second), but it's sad.

At any rate, I don't get much into national rankings but Henry is underrated.

I'd also caution taking a few quotes out of context and making rash decisions with them... but, whatever floats your boat.

This coming from a guy who "hates" on Kill and brings up something he said several years ago all the time to somehow prove your dislike is justified. You're doing the exact same thing you're criticizing others for. Hypocrisy is right.

I said I was wrong to say that. To have a pressing team, you have to use many players particularly the ones who are athletic like Buggs and Wally. Many coaches do offense and defense rotation. I like to see it here too.

Being athletic as in being able to high-jump does not necessarily translate into being a B1G basketball player.

Doc, maybe we should start awarding monthly 'Parski Awards' for those certain kinds of posts.

There is no way that a "Parski" award can be more important than a dpodoll award. But we can do that, just for Parski's sake.

There is no way that a "Parski" award can be more important than a dpodoll award. But we can do that, just for Parski's sake.

What's the criteria for the dpodoll award? Is it who is the biggest jacka**?

What is the rest of the story and what parts are a big stretch?

Sorry was off the board for a while. First of all Wally left Eau Claire after his Freshman season. He originally lived in Rice Lake but went to Eau Claire where his dad worked and they moved back to Rice Lake where he grew up and where his mom works. Wally averaged about 8 or 9 points a game as a freshman at eau Claire and the biggest issue was there were kids who didn't like a young athletic freshman who moved into the school as an 8th grader taking their playing time. Kids were pretty abusive to him and even after complaints came in by his parents the coach basically told the kids to take it outside.

Also Wally's parents also didn't have issues with tubby. I was actually at a game during Wally's senior year in HS with a few other posters on this board and had a 20 minute conversation with tubby and Wally's dad. They got along well.

I don't really know how the Ellenson's feel about Pitino but they are not the demons people on this board are making them out to be.

Sorry was off the board for a while. First of all Wally left Eau Claire after his Freshman season. He originally lived in Rice Lake but went to Eau Claire where his dad worked and they moved back to Rice Lake where he grew up and where his mom works. Wally averaged about 8 or 9 points a game as a freshman at eau Claire and the biggest issue was there were kids who didn't like a young athletic freshman who moved into the school as an 8th grader taking their playing time. Kids were pretty abusive to him and even after complaints came in by his parents the coach basically told the kids to take it outside.

Also Wally's parents also didn't have issues with tubby. I was actually at a game during Wally's senior year in HS with a few other posters on this board and had a 20 minute conversation with tubby and Wally's dad. They got along well.

I don't really know how the Ellenson's feel about Pitino but they are not the demons people on this board are making them out to be.

Thanks for the reply and clearing up the timeline.

I think what people have heard is that the parents are frustrated and publicly vocal about it - and maybe a little hockey-parenty. This is my view. Your story about Wally's dad and Tubby would be interesting, if it happened midway through last year. That they got along while Wally was still in high school doesn't really tell us much - of course they got along then.

Outside of what you related, do you have any further information? Have you had a conversation with any family members lately? If not, I'd say that you are as convinced that they are not "demons" with the same amount of evidence as those that think they are.

For the record - I don't think they are demons. I think they are over-involved parents. And I am going off scant evidence.

I know they are very well liked by the school administrators in rice lake. The Ellenson kids have always handled themselves with class during games that I have watched. I know they love how things are going for Elwood in Bemidji. I know for a fact that John isn't the psycho parent as he's being portrayed just from knowing him from his youth. They obviously want the best for their kids and so far things haven't gone so well for Wally in bb this year.

I know they are very well liked by the school administrators in rice lake. The Ellenson kids have always handled themselves with class during games that I have watched. I know they love how things are going for Elwood in Bemidji. I know for a fact that John isn't the psycho parent as he's being portrayed just from knowing him from his youth. They obviously want the best for their kids and so far things haven't gone so well for Wally in bb this year.

Thanks. I think the best advice I would give the Ellensons, if Wally is still interested in playing for the Gophers, is to make himself a better basketball player. The glimpses I've seen of him on the court indicate to me that he is not deserving of playing time. My amateur analysis is backed up by two D1 head basketball coaches so far, including one that played everyone, including really hard-working managers.

He quite clearly should have redshirted his freshman year. I think it's safe to say, the fact that he didn't is on the Ellenson family - most likely, the father. Honestly, I haven't heard a peep from Wally, so have no idea where he stands on any of this. (Qualifiers: Speculation, scant evidence, don't know the whole story.)

Wally's going to transfer. signed and sealed. Henry won't come to the U and I'm just fine with that. I don't like the mentality that he feels "he needs to be THE guy". If thats how he feels I don't want him. Last I checked Basketball is a team sport and the way Pitino wants the team to play we don't need a cocky kid who isn't a team player. Also to XMan, if a kid feels that way then I personally think it is his parents to blame. Now maybe you know after his dad read that quote his dad put him in his place? If not... well then I can't defend his parents from what people are saying.

Illikainen sounds like a kid I want on my team. His quote "I don't need to be the guy at all. I'm looking for great character with the team, guys who love the team and work together. I want to be with fun coaches, great coaches who want to work hard. I want the campus to be a great mix of academics and the college experience"

Thats a kid with his head screwed on right.

It's easy to portray "being the guy" as something a Prima donna would say............but it's just as easy to apply the statement to a player who wants to be trusted to deliver clutch points when needed to do so.

Nearly EVERYONE who has ever been quoted, at one point or another has also stated "That's not what I said" or "That's not what I meant".

You can hardly expect a HS student to be more polished than the average adult.

If the people on this board didn't have the luxury of anonymity, something tells me it would be a different place.... More than a few would go from pompous a**es to shrinking violets when held accountable for their words.

per Shooter today:

Gophers sophomore forward Wally Ellenson, who is averaging just 6.9 minutes a game but is a standout high jumper on the track team, said he has no plans to transfer.

http://www.twincities.com/olympics/ci_25153956/charley-walters-henry-boucha-recalls-olympian-t-j

Go Gophers!!

I haven't been vocal of my support for Wally, but I don't understand the amount of hate. Sure he seems like a sour puss on the bench, but a kid with 40+ inch vertical is rare. Heck Rodney Williams had less basketball ability than Wally and he scored over a thousand points as a gopher. Let's hope whatever the reason for Wally not playing gets quickly resolved because I'd love to see him as a contributor to this team.

My gut tells me the reason for Wally's lack of playing time is because he isn't very good.

Sometimes things aren't that complicated.

I have no doubt that the rhetoric about the Ellenson family is exaggerated, like just about everything else on this board (I'm certainly guilty of it). However, it sounds like the father contacted a reporter to publicize an otherwise internal playing time dispute with the coach. Regardless of whether that makes him a "demon", that is the kind of behavior that I would absolutely not want to put up with as a coach.

As much as I dislike everything I've seen heard and read about Wally to date, I still think he will contribute next year, and quite possibly significantly. I would also like to point out, Wally staying and being productive is the best thing that could happen for the Gophers save a standout grad transfer from Louisville or Florida (don't see either happening)....

Wally is too physically gifted to not be able to contribute next year after a full year and a half under Pitinos system. Unless he truly does not want to be a part of the team, you would think by default he would get minutes at the 3 just because we are going to be so young and inexperienced at the position.

My biggest concern is that his dedication to track makes my statement about having a year and a half under Pitino more like .75 years under Pitino. In that case, Morris and or another recruit could and would likely be more effective on both sides of the court. Wally was a 4 star for a reason, potential. And if Rich is the teacher we all hope he can be, and seems to be to this point, who is to say he cannot get 4 star production out of Wally after giving him some ultimatums similar to those Mo received??

I'm rooting for Wally, and am indifferent about losing out on the family supporting us as a university. It's a catch 22 when parents get involved with their kids school/sports life... We want them to participate, but only so much....

IF Henry's comments are a reflection of his parents and IF his parents agree with his comments about not supporting the program because Wally doesn't play enough, I have a problem with that.

As much as I dislike everything I've seen heard and read about Wally to date, I still think he will contribute next year, and quite possibly significantly. I would also like to point out, Wally staying and being productive is the best thing that could happen for the Gophers save a standout grad transfer from Louisville or Florida (don't see either happening)....

Wally is too physically gifted to not be able to contribute next year after a full year and a half under Pitinos system. Unless he truly does not want to be a part of the team, you would think by default he would get minutes at the 3 just because we are going to be so young and inexperienced at the position.

My biggest concern is that his dedication to track makes my statement about having a year and a half under Pitino more like .75 years under Pitino. In that case, Morris and or another recruit could and would likely be more effective on both sides of the court. Wally was a 4 star for a reason, potential. And if Rich is the teacher we all hope he can be, and seems to be to this point, who is to say he cannot get 4 star production out of Wally after giving him some ultimatums similar to those Mo received??

I'm rooting for Wally, and am indifferent about losing out on the family supporting us as a university. It's a catch 22 when parents get involved with their kids school/sports life... We want them to participate, but only so much....

Wally wasn't a 4-star.

Top Bottom