Pete Thamel: Time to face reality: ‘No one is playing college football in the fall’

Something had to be done. You don’t make decisions by pulling them out of a hat

A model with solid ideological underpinnings, even if it gives a false prediction, is still better than nothing.

True. To be fair, they were only off by about 54,000 deaths.

So this thread has descended into a politically impotent miasma of tailchasing. I thought only dogs did that not Gophers.

I would love to have B1G Football in the fall, but somehow I think that may get scuttled when the professional sports leagues open the floodgates. People will begin to congregate in secret Speakeasy-style locations to watch games on TV and resume their tribal hijinx of fanatic behavior. Thus, the next wave of the pandemic will swell.

I miss all my sports and comics events, but I'm not willing to take the odds of coming into contact with the COVID-19 virus until we can establish a foothold in realm of herd immunity.

Ski-U-Mah!

Something had to be done. You don’t make decisions by pulling them out of a hat

A model with solid ideological underpinnings, even if it gives a false prediction, is still better than nothing.

Again, sometimes less is more when you’re flying blind.

That is part of it. But also improvement in treatment of serious cases. We have an actual, scientifically proven medicine, remdesivir, when before there wasn’t any.

Remsdesevir may prove to be that effective but that hasn’t been shown yet. The data you're referring to was from Gilead’s own analysis of a cohort of their in-house study patients vs a retrospective analysis of a separate group treated with “standard of care” which evolves on a weekly basis. It’s s*** data. There are too many issues to even list right now.

There are reportedly several treatments that have been found to shorten and lessen the severity of covid19. All discovered in the last few months with more optimism in many areas. The problem is we have too many people with a voice. There is no leadership. Too many messages and no national plan.

3M is optimistic about a paper test with results in minutes, similar to a pregnancy test, being a reality at summers end. Lots of progress but too many people with a platform and leadership is weak.

How can Walz waffle and wait on making masks mandatory? The downside? Radicals yelling and doing nothing to help. The upside: the chance things improve.

Remember when the Politics OT Board was created, with the idea of confining the toxic political arguments there?

I'm going with no football this fall for Pandemicstan ( ariz, California, Texas and Florida). Big ten still has a chance, but we have to wear masks. if we can do that for a month, we can bring this beast under control and move on with our lives.

I'm going with no football this fall for Pandemicstan ( ariz, California, Texas and Florida). Big ten still has a chance, but we have to wear masks. if we can do that for a month, we can bring this beast under control and move on with our lives.

California has had a mask mandate for about 4 weeks, and their cases are rising. Those other states you mentioned will probably be mostly under control by the time football season is scheduled to start. Florida, Arizona and Texas may already be peaking.

California has had a mask mandate for about 4 weeks, and their cases are rising. Those other states you mentioned will probably be mostly under control by the time football season is scheduled to start. Florida, Arizona and Texas may already be peaking.

Their big cities have had mask mandates far longer than that. Still didn’t matter.

This disease is whipped, we are riding it out the old fashioned way, just in time for one of the greatest Gopher football seasons of all time.

There are ways to play safely.

If the Big Ten and other power 5 conferences don’t have a plan to play an 8-game schedule with CCGs and 6-team playoff, it is due to a total lack of effort.

The NBA, NHL, MLS, NFL, and MLB will all be playing soon. And all of these leagues have had vastly more complicated issues to deal with. Playing P5 college football, safely, without fans, should be very easy.

There are ways to play safely.

If the Big Ten and other power 5 conferences don’t have a plan to play an 8-game schedule with CCGs and 6-team playoff, it is due to a total lack of effort.

The NBA, NHL, MLS, NFL, and MLB will all be playing soon. And all of these leagues have had vastly more complicated issues to deal with. Playing P5 college football, safely, without fans, should be very easy.
If congress passed Tort protections for schools, colleges, and universities the decision making would be different.

People aren’t worried about losing a case...they’re worried about paying to fight hundreds of cases and settling them because it’s cheaper

Remsdesevir may prove to be that effective but that hasn’t been shown yet. The data you're referring to was from Gilead’s own analysis of a cohort of their in-house study patients vs a retrospective analysis of a separate group treated with “standard of care” which evolves on a weekly basis. It’s s*** data. There are too many issues to even list right now.
https://www.niaid.nih.gov/news-even...esivir-accelerates-recovery-advanced-covid-19

NIH Clinical Trial Shows Remdesivir Accelerates Recovery from Advanced COVID-19
Hospitalized patients with advanced COVID-19 and lung involvement who received remdesivir recovered faster than similar patients who received placebo, according to a preliminary data analysis from a randomized, controlled trial involving 1063 patients, which began on February 21. The trial (known as the Adaptive COVID-19 Treatment Trial, or ACTT), sponsored by the National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases (NIAID), part of the National Institutes of Health, is the first clinical trial launched in the United States to evaluate an experimental treatment for COVID-19.

This trial was conducted at the UNMC in Omaha.

There are reportedly several treatments that have been found to shorten and lessen the severity of covid19. All discovered in the last few months with more optimism in many areas. The problem is we have too many people with a voice. There is no leadership. Too many messages and no national plan.

3M is optimistic about a paper test with results in minutes, similar to a pregnancy test, being a reality at summers end. Lots of progress but too many people with a platform and leadership is weak.

How can Walz waffle and wait on making masks mandatory? The downside? Radicals yelling and doing nothing to help. The upside: the chance things improve.
Too many people with adversarial voices who hate each other, from a long history of tribal/cultural cold war. The main reason this country is so f___ed going forward.

We were mostly able to keep things reasonable from after the civil war up to the 90's. And then the wheels started coming off. It has gotten worse with every president since, and I see no reason why that will abate.

Remember when the Politics OT Board was created, with the idea of confining the toxic political arguments there?
Yeah fine ... but what else is there? Covid has stolen everything else good in life away. So F it. That's where I'm at.

Even if you're right, as soon as one P5 cancels fall sports, the rest will follow.

It's not the actual circumstances of the present, it's the fear of the unknown and the fear of liability, that will drive the decision.

If congress passed Tort protections for schools, colleges, and universities the decision making would be different.

People aren’t worried about losing a case...they’re worried about paying to fight hundreds of cases and settling them because it’s cheaper
A school shouldn't be allowed to act negligently and get away with it.

Evidently I was wrong, I'll admit to that. Apologies.

Some good news: https://www.startribune.com/first-covid-19-vaccine-tested-in-us-poised-for-final-testing/571765772/

First COVID-19 vaccine tested in US poised for final testing
The experimental vaccine, developed by Fauci’s colleagues at the National Institutes of Health and Moderna Inc., will start its most important step around July 27: A 30,000-person study to prove if the shots really are strong enough to protect against the coronavirus.
Nearly two dozen possible COVID-19 vaccines are in various stages of testing around the world. Candidates from China and Britain’s Oxford University also are entering final testing stages.

The 30,000-person study will mark the world’s largest study of a potential COVID-19 vaccine so far. And the NIH-developed shot isn’t the only one set for such massive U.S. testing, crucial to spot rare side effects. The government plans similar large studies of the Oxford candidate and another by Johnson & Johnson; separately, Pfizer Inc. is planning its own huge study.

Already, people can start signing up to volunteer for the different studies.

People think “this is a race for one winner. Me, I’m cheering every one of them on,” said Fauci, who directs NIH’s National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases.

“We need multiple vaccines. We need vaccines for the world, not only for our own country.”

Around the world, governments are investing in stockpiles of hundreds of millions of doses of the different candidates, in hopes of speedily starting inoculations if any are proven to work.

https://www.niaid.nih.gov/news-even...esivir-accelerates-recovery-advanced-covid-19

NIH Clinical Trial Shows Remdesivir Accelerates Recovery from Advanced COVID-19
Hospitalized patients with advanced COVID-19 and lung involvement who received remdesivir recovered faster than similar patients who received placebo, according to a preliminary data analysis from a randomized, controlled trial involving 1063 patients, which began on February 21. The trial (known as the Adaptive COVID-19 Treatment Trial, or ACTT), sponsored by the National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases (NIAID), part of the National Institutes of Health, is the first clinical trial launched in the United States to evaluate an experimental treatment for COVID-19.

This trial was conducted at the UNMC in Omaha.

That’s not what you were referring to.

That’s not what you were referring to.
That was 100% what I referring to by "We have an actual, scientifically proven medicine, remdesivir, when before there wasn’t any." I don't care if you don't believe it. You're going to believe what you want to believe, anyway.

Moving on

Sometimes, but this likely was not one of those cases.

Actually, it very clearly was a localized problem. You choose not to comprehend the current and future collateral damage of blanket and poorly implemented policies of reactive governors and public health officials because they don’t affect you.

Last edited:

That was 100% what I referring to by "We have an actual, scientifically proven medicine, remdesivir, when before there wasn’t any." I don't care if you don't believe it. You're going to believe what you want to believe, anyway.

Moving on

Fine, but why not mention other, more effective therapies then? . A ~$4 generic steroid has proven to be far, far more effective than remsdesivir (so far). Post that instead. Remsdesivir’s data is is far less impressive. Shoddy at best manufacturer data isn’t best practice.

Fine, but why not mention other, more effective therapies then? . A ~$4 generic steroid has proven to be far, far more effective than remsdesivir (so far). Post that instead. Remsdesivir’s data is is far less impressive. Shoddy at best manufacturer data isn’t best practice.
Going with NIH trial and NIH director’s opinion.

Please do post the trial results for the drug you’re referring to, I haven’t read them yet.

Actually, it very clearly was a localized problem. You choose not to comprehend comprehend the current and future collateral damage of blanket and poorly implemented policies of reactive governors and public health officials because they don’t affect you.
What does localization have to do with making decisions based on trying to be smart and scientific with modeling, as opposed to gut feel?

Top Bottom