Parts of sports movies that disappointed you

The Hanson brothers from Slapshot all played professionally (Dave Hanson, Steve Carlson, and Jeff Carlson).

"What about old time hockey? Eddie Shore"

"Piss on Eddie Shore!" One of the best lines in any movie ever IMO.

Struther Martin was perfection - still makes me chuckle ?

View attachment 7287

Last edited:

I love Rudy, but even I have to admit that eventually his obsession with Notre Dame football veers from endearing to creepy.

Moneyball, a pretty good move but:

1. Game 5 of Twins/A's was actually a day game, not a night game as in the film.
2. The real reason the A's were any good was because they had a great starting pitching staff Hudson, Zito & Mulder.

I love Rudy, but even I have to admit that eventually his obsession with Notre Dame football veers from endearing to creepy.
I watched it with my parents they both cried. Eventually, I realized they cried cuz they watched a certain child piss away athletic potential. Now I cry

One final one... I have never moved past the last-second loss to Walnut Heights. Script should have been different and it has haunted me ever since. We'll see who knows which movie I am referring to.
If he just had Rifleman fall on the ball, they would have won. "We didn't quit, you quit" - Stefan Djordjevic, All the Right Moves.

If he just had Rifleman fall on the ball, they would have won. "We didn't quit, you quit" - Stefan Djordjevic, All the Right Moves.
Wife and I just watched that a few months ago. Still holds up as a good sports/teen movie. The goal line defensive strategy was stellar.

days of thunder- Nascar isn't a sport, but I'm supposed to believe Tom cruise is in last place but also on lead lap

Replacements- horrible movie, but apparently the league doesn't have back up qbs and people off street can just show up at halftime and suit up. The deaf TE is Roy from the office

Happy Gilmore- wait so you win amateur tournament and you're on pro tour?

Days of Thunder - Rubbing is racing...

Ah, no. Not like that.

This is 100% right. It would have been the perfect ending to the movie. The movie would have also been better if there were no sequels. the later ones showed that Rocky was just a great fighter. He was able to beat other amazing fighters and it wasn't just a "stars are aligned" miracle type of performance.

Sorry, I cant live in a world with out the two training montages in Rocky 4

I agree, the rest of the movie was fantastic. But Robbins threw like the junk/spit ball pitcher in Major League. Charlie Sheen, on the other hand, looked like a flamethrower.
Harris in major league couldnt have been throwing faster than 45mph

The worst part of that play is seeing Sunshine, the QB, looking like Christian Okoye in excellent condition in Tecmo Super Bowl as he's blocking guys on the reverse. Guys are bouncing off of him left and right.
"Excellent condition." Oh those were the days. You had to do a dive tackle on a guy in excellent in order to bring him down

You and I have nearly the same list. Add Hoosiers. I have a place in my heart for A League of Their Own because it’s one of my daughters’ favorite movies. They wore out the VHS.

I had a huge problem with Glory Road when they played Kentucky. I realize Adolph Rupp was a bigoted asshole. Confederate flags everywhere. Kentucky was in the Union (yes I know they were a slave border state).
A League of their Own is so underrated. Maybe my favorite Tom Hanks role

I wonder if it's an age thing. I really like the Sandlot but I didn't love Slap Shot (ducks to avoid things thrown at me).

I also loathe Star Wars. I do not understand the love of the movie.

Star Wars wouldnt be the same if it didnt have the most epic soundtrack ever. Im indifferent regarding the movie

Star Wars wouldnt be the same if it didnt have the most epic soundtrack ever. Im indifferent regarding the movie

Yeah there's some truth to that but the soundtrack couldn't save the prequels ... or the new films from being meh, ... so that hard to be some quality to the film itself.

Yeah there's some truth to that but the soundtrack couldn't save the prequels ... or the new films from being meh, ... so that hard to be some quality to the film itself.
Thats a good point.

Prequels arent so bad compared to the hot garbage of the latest three. F-ing disney.

All Rocky movies. Loved them when they came out, because I was a kid. Unwatchable today. Boxing scenes are so void of reality. A heavyweight absorbing 30-60 solid blows/haymakers from another heavyweight per round...................?

D2 The Might Ducks came out 26 years ago today.

-Julie the Cat was way better than Goldberg.
-Iceland: always a hockey power.
-Guy Germaine should have been given more screen time as he was only kid on the team that had a 200 ft. game.
-I question the legality of being able to add Russ Tyler to the roster mid-Jr. Goodwill Games
-I'm guessing Hendrix Hockey would have had a few legal provisions that would have prevented Team USA to switch to Might Ducks jerseys for the 3rd Period & OT of the Gold Medal Game.....without at least having their name and/or logo prominently displayed
-District 5 was a local homegrown team in the first movie, but apparently they were scattered throughout the metro area from, Brooklyn Park (Averman), Stillwater (Fulton Reed), Mpls & St. Paul, and of course, Edina, with the great Adam Banks. Apparently, District-5 had a level of recruiting that would have made HIll Murray, Benilde, & St Thomas Academy jealous....

Other gears that were grinded, while I'm here:
-Bump Bailey really would have died having gone through the wall?
-Why was Mick allowed to stand under the basket while the rest of the Dragons & Beavers had to go to the bench while Scott Howard was attempting his 2 free throws at the end of the epic comeback?
-Why was Joe Kane getting Heisman race questions after ESU's first week win over Mississippi State?
-I think Happy Gilmore took 8 strokes chopping at the ball in anger, yet he only dropped a few strokes.
-The scoring system during the Lawrence-LaRusso final fight at the 1984 All-Valley Karate Tournament always has confused me.....
-Ivan Drago shoved the ref out of the way when he tried to stop the fight in the 2nd round vs. Apollo Creed.....shouldn't he have been brought up on manslaughter charges because of this physical dismissal of the ref?
-Staying with the Rocky theme: Best fighter entrance: Apollo in I, Apollo in IV, Drago in IV in Russia, or Pretty Ricky Conlan in Creed?

-The scoring system during the Lawrence-LaRusso final fight at the 1984 All-Valley Karate Tournament always has confused me.....
Shouldn't the contestants in the All Valley tournament have been separated by weight class? How was it that skinny Daniel LaRusso was in the same division as everybody in the Cobra Kai?

Shouldn't the contestants in the All Valley tournament have been separated by weight class? How was it that skinny Daniel LaRusso was in the same division as everybody in the Cobra Kai?
Sorry if someone already mentioned this, but Danny's fight winning crane kick was illegal. The rules clearly stated no hits to the face.

Sorry if someone already mentioned this, but Danny's fight winning crane kick was illegal. The rules clearly stated no hits to the face.
He never should have been allowed to compete - he was using a stolen belt!

Top Bottom