Parts of sports movies that disappointed you

I did like how all the hockey players in Miracle and Slap Shot appeared as though they could actually play hockey.

It probably helps that in Slap Shot ... they're not supposed to be THAT good ;)

1. Tin-Cup-Doesn't take the penalty drop and force the play-off for millions. -he lives in a trailer for God's sake!
2. For the Love of the Game - Pitcher spends the whole game thinking about his life! Really? Would rather of seen a movie about the real life story of the Yankee's pitcher who pitched a perfect game on acid and what he was thinking about!
3. If you build it he will come. - Only an Iowa farmer couldn't figure out it was his dad who would come.
(Is it just a coincidence or are these all Costner movies.)
4. I agree, Roy Hobb's kid throws like a girl! (Pretty sure Roy was on Roids.)
5. At the end of Caddyshack, The Gopher should have eaten the rights to make Caddyshack II!
Quote 5. Our Gophers should have latched on to that to put clips on our scoreboard from time to time. Would have been awesome!

More Tin Cup minor gripes- the AZ resort course they are playing isn't close to a US Open type venue.
Costner uses old school iron blades and wood woods, then in the US Open he's got some TaylorMade Bubble irons and graphite shafts in his bag, c'mon..

More Tin Cup minor gripes- the AZ resort course they are playing isn't close to a US Open type venue.
Costner uses old school iron blades and wood woods, then in the US Open he's got some TaylorMade Bubble irons and graphite shafts in his bag, c'mon..
Man that sounds unwatchable.

The end of Tin Cup always bugged me. Am I really supposed to believe that Roy McAvoy would be remembered as anything more than an idiot for taking at 12 on the final hole? His story to that point is so amazing that his winning the US Open would instantly become one of the greatest stories in the history of the tournament. It would be right up there with Francis Ouimet who the subject of the movie The Greatest Game Ever Played,
We do remember Jean VandeVelde for pretty much the same thing. I don't think he'd be remembered as well if he had won.

What bugs me is that Cup is hitting a 3 wood and the ball keeps backing up on the green? You don't spin a 3 wood like a wedge.

Sticking with the Hoosiers thing... Loved the movie. Loved it. BUT a couple things have always bugged me, in addition to what has been mentioned here (like the Buddy return scene).

1) The fling between Gene Hackman and Barbara Hershey. C'mon. Just not necessary. Waste of time in the film.
2) During the championship game, when Hickory calls time out. One of the players, Merle, says "I think Jimmy can take the guy who is guarding him if we set him up." Coach Dale thinks that's the stuff of genius. Gee... great thought... let's get the ball to our best guy. Yeah, that just might work.
3) The 4 passes rule. Coach was all hard a$$ about this at first. Then Jimmy comes back to the team and that rule goes out the window faster than you can blink. Jimmy seems to have the freedom to fire it from about anywhere on the court.
4) Most people don't realize this but George (the guy who thought he should coach the team and tried to get Norm ousted) was Buddy's father in the script. Including that would have made an interesting storyline.

Another one... Friday night lights. Those players had girls throwing themselves at them continuously. Just left me scratching my head. I played high school football and it's unfortunate that I have no recollection of women throwing themselves at me. I would have enjoyed that immensely.

One final one... I have never moved past the last-second loss to Walnut Heights. Script should have been different and it has haunted me ever since. We'll see who knows which movie I am referring to.

I always felt like Remember the Titans was just a generic Disney-esqe feel good film... with the added bonus of Denzel Washington... so it got more praise than it deserved

Those aren't bad films just IMO kinda throw aways.

Ok, I have to do one more. This is from Remember the Titans also. It's the last play of the game, and the Titans are down by three or four, at their own 40 yard line or thereabouts. The opposing coach yells to his team before the snap "cover deep!" Great stuff. I think that even the coach from Mt Iron-Buhl could have thought of that.

It probably helps that in Slap Shot ... they're not supposed to be THAT good ;)
If you didn't know, Buzz Schneiders son, Billy, played his dad in the movie. Billy was a decent hockey player. Billy ended up marrying a hockey player from South St. Paul. I think it was an Ahlquist and I think she played on one of those State Championship teams from the early 2000s. She ended up playing for the USA World Bandy Team.

Worst basketball movie...Teen Wolf with Michael J. Fox. Shudder...

We do remember Jean VandeVelde for pretty much the same thing. I don't think he'd be remembered as well if he had won.

What bugs me is that Cup is hitting a 3 wood and the ball keeps backing up on the green? You don't spin a 3 wood like a wedge.

No, but I hit a 3 wood the same distance as a wedge...…..

slightly off-topic, but one of the goofiest sports movies ever is a baseball movie called "It Happens Every Spring" from 1949. Ray Milland plays a college professor. he accidentally invents a chemical that is repelled by wood. So, he becomes a baseball pitcher, rubs the stuff on the ball, and the ball moves away from the bat whenever the hitter swings. Milland's character goes on to be the hottest pitcher in the majors. but, of course, right before the big game, Milland runs out of the formula and has to try to get through the game on his own stuff. It's very silly and the baseball scenes are completely unrealistic, but it does have a certain charm.

Ok, I have to do one more. This is from Remember the Titans also. It's the last play of the game, and the Titans are down by three or four, at their own 40 yard line or thereabouts. The opposing coach yells to his team before the snap "cover deep!" Great stuff. I think that even the coach from Mt Iron-Buhl could have thought of that.
Not only that, but running a reverse for sixty yards on the last play isn't ever going to work.

gonna miss baseball, but did see Woodie Harrelson swing a mean stick in Zombieland last night. Waiting for Merrill to swing away in Signs.

Not realistic. Uniform numbers aren't regulation.

The worst part of that play is seeing Sunshine, the QB, looking like Christian Okoye in excellent condition in Tecmo Super Bowl as he's blocking guys on the reverse. Guys are bouncing off of him left and right.

One final one... I have never moved past the last-second loss to Walnut Heights. Script should have been different and it has haunted me ever since. We'll see who knows which movie I am referring to.
All the Right Moves

The plot of The Last Boy Scout still seems a bit hard to belive...

I don't get the love for the Sandlot. Horribly, horribly overrated. MLB.com has a list of the 25 best baseball movies. Sandlot is #8. Major League is #10. Senseless.

I don't get the love for the Sandlot. Horribly, horribly overrated. MLB.com has a list of the 25 best baseball movies. Sandlot is #8. Major League is #10. Senseless.
I'm not here to defend the Sandlot, but Major League is fun... but kinda baseball and kinda not.

Top Bottom