Parts of sports movies that disappointed you

No offense taken. I went over to the Off Topic Board, there is some dark comments over there. I'm happy to get back to the Basketball and Football boards! :)

Maybe the most pointless scene in any sports movie, especially moves people like, is in Remember the Titans. Gerry Bertier runs part way across the field and points at the opposing (racist coach) and it is the only interaction they have.

The daughters. Not funny. The rest of the movie is pretty great.

Sports movies that didn't disappoint me: Goon, Semi Pro, The Replacements

There are sports movies and then there are sports movies where if I'm home alone and scrolling through the channels and I see one of these, I'm either watching the rest of it or breaking out the DVD and watching the whole thing!

Miracle
Waterboy
Slap Shot
Happy Gilmore
The Longest Yard (1972 edition)
The Natural
Caddyshack
Hoosiers
A League of Their Own
Varsity Blues - (weakest entry on the list, but I like the sound track!)

Last edited:

There are sports movies and then there are sports movies where if I'm home alone and scrolling through the channels and I see one of these, I'm either watching the rest of it or breaking out the DVD and watching the rest of it!

Miracle
Waterboy
Slap Shot
Happy Gilmore
The Natural
Caddyshack

You and I have nearly the same list. Add Hoosiers. I have a place in my heart for A League of Their Own because it’s one of my daughters’ favorite movies. They wore out the VHS.

I had a huge problem with Glory Road when they played Kentucky. I realize Adolph Rupp was a bigoted asshole. Confederate flags everywhere. Kentucky was in the Union (yes I know they were a slave border state).

You and I have nearly the same list. Add Hoosiers. I have a place in my heart for A League of Their Own because it’s one of my daughters’ favorite movies. They wore out the VHS.

I had a huge problem with Glory Road when they played Kentucky. I realize Adolph Rupp was a bigoted asshole. Confederate flags everywhere. Kentucky was in the Union (yes I know they were a slave border state).
Yeah, I guess I left out Hoosiers, A League of Their Own (which I just watched) and Varsity Blues.

Blue Chips: Shaq, Penny Hardaway and ...Matt Nover. Huh.

Western Union: A Blue Chips Oral History

Lastly: Ricky Roe, a country boy from French Lick, Ind., whose father asks coach Bell for a new tractor.

FRIEDKIN A lot of actors contacted me about playing [Ricky Roe]. Mark Wahlberg wanted it. I said, “I’m casting guys like Shaquille O’Neal and Anfernee Hardaway—can you play at that level?” Of course he couldn’t. I wasn’t interested in any of these guys winning Academy Awards. I was interested in authenticity of play.

REX WALTERS (actor, as himself) I read for the part of Ricky Roe, did a headshot. I also heard Bobby Knight wasn’t going to do the movie unless one of his players got a part. Now, this is all hearsay . . . .

MATT NOVER (center for Indiana; actor, Ricky Roe) I wouldn’t doubt that. He never told me that, but that’d be pretty cool.

FRIEDKIN Bobby never demanded it. He did suggest Nover. And the minute I met Matt—all you had to do was look at him. He was this All-American, Indiana basketball player. Physically, you could not do better for that role than Matt Nover.

NOVER I didn’t really grow up on a farm, but I had the crew cut, the clean Midwestern look of someone who did.

ROB RYDER (basketball coordinator) We weren’t really happy with Matt Nover. I certainly wasn’t. He wasn’t any kind of name player.

Some of the scenes in Field of Dreams were in Minnesota, but many of them were in Iowa too.

The daughters. Not funny. The rest of the movie is pretty great.

Sports movies that didn't disappoint me: Goon, Semi Pro, The Replacements

The Replacements is one of my all time favorites. Very underrated.

slightly off-topic, but one of the goofiest sports movies ever is a baseball movie called "It Happens Every Spring" from 1949. Ray Milland plays a college professor. he accidentally invents a chemical that is repelled by wood. So, he becomes a baseball pitcher, rubs the stuff on the ball, and the ball moves away from the bat whenever the hitter swings. Milland's character goes on to be the hottest pitcher in the majors. but, of course, right before the big game, Milland runs out of the formula and has to try to get through the game on his own stuff. It's very silly and the baseball scenes are completely unrealistic, but it does have a certain charm.
Didn’t he rub the solution into his hair before taking the mound? I think that may have caused Ray Milland’s sudden baldness.

Didn’t he rub the solution into his hair before taking the mound? I think that may have caused Ray Milland’s sudden baldness.

No - what happened was his catcher was kind of a dimwit, and he took the last of the Professor's formula - thinking it was hair tonic, and rubbed it on his hair. So Milland, trying to get the last of the formula, was rubbing his hands over his catcher's hair.

Another one... Friday night lights. Those players had girls throwing themselves at them continuously. Just left me scratching my head. I played high school football and it's unfortunate that I have no recollection of women throwing themselves at me. I would have enjoyed that immensely.
Did you play in Texas?

The worst portrayal of Herb Brooks - Karl Malden:

There are sports movies and then there are sports movies where if I'm home alone and scrolling through the channels and I see one of these, I'm either watching the rest of it or breaking out the DVD and watching the whole thing!

Miracle
Waterboy
Slap Shot
Happy Gilmore
The Natural
Caddyshack
Hoosiers
A League of Their Own
True story. Was in France the Spring of '75 on a high school outing during the Fall of Saigon. The French were pretty smug about it watching our 'copters being pushed off aircraft carriers...

Anywho, the school group decided to go to a Parisian movie theater to see a French version of The Longest Yard. It had been dubbed in French with English subtitles. I had already seen it so I knew what was coming.

It was about half full for a weekday afternoon. I'll always remember the French laughed in the wrong places...a big part of it being due to their unfamiliarity with American football. They really liked though hearing the word "merde."

To the audience's credit though they stayed all the way through and most were smiling and talking on the way out. I think Burt was a big hit with the crowd...

Miracle
Waterboy
Slap Shot
Happy Gilmore
The Natural
Caddyshack
Hoosiers
A League of Their Own

gKK6Jht.gif

No - what happened was his catcher was kind of a dimwit, and he took the last of the Professor's formula - thinking it was hair tonic, and rubbed it on his hair. So Milland, trying to get the last of the formula, was rubbing his hands over his catcher's hair.
That’s right! Now I remember!

Baseketball!! I was disappointed there wasn't more Jenny McCarthy scenes.

1584500009949.png

I never bought into Kathy Ireland being a legitimate kicker in Necessary Roughness. Did she weigh more than a hundred lbs. in full gear?

I think his sudden baldness was caused by the studio not buying him toupees anymore.

Miracle
Waterboy
Slap Shot
Happy Gilmore
The Natural
Caddyshack
Hoosiers
A League of Their Own
What, no Dodgeball?

"If you can dodge a wrench, you can dodge a ball"

1. Tin-Cup-Doesn't take the penalty drop and force the play-off for millions. -he lives in a trailer for God's sake!
2. For the Love of the Game - Pitcher spends the whole game thinking about his life! Really? Would rather of seen a movie about the real life story of the Yankee's pitcher who pitched a perfect game on acid and what he was thinking about!
3. If you build it he will come. - Only an Iowa farmer couldn't figure out it was his dad who would come.
(Is it just a coincidence or are these all Costner movies.)
4. I agree, Roy Hobb's kid throws like a girl! (Pretty sure Roy was on Roids.)
5. At the end of Caddyshack, The Gopher should have eaten the rights to make Caddyshack II!
Regarding #2: Dock Ellis pitched for the Pirates that day. He no hit the Padres. There is a movie about it. I highly recommend it. "No - No: A Documentary. " It is on hulu right now.

I don't get the love for the Sandlot. Horribly, horribly overrated. MLB.com has a list of the 25 best baseball movies. Sandlot is #8. Major League is #10. Senseless.

I wonder if it's an age thing. I really like the Sandlot but I didn't love Slap Shot (ducks to avoid things thrown at me).

I also loathe Star Wars. I do not understand the love of the movie.

What, no Dodgeball?

"If you can dodge a wrench, you can dodge a ball"
I own that too! And it would be on the list, but dodge ball is not a sport!

Don't forget the 5 Ds!
Dodge.
Duck.
Dip.
Dive.
and Dodge.

I think I will go watch it right now!

Top Bottom