Oy - Police investigate case involving four suspended Gophers players

UGH!

Not this crap again. Didn't we just go through this with Allegations last year. Looks like another round of embarrassing headlines. Gophers never seem to be able to get out of their own way as a football program. Even when they have some small success they have someone shooting themselves in the foot and being a doofus.

Not this crap again. Didn't we just go through this with Allegations last year. Looks like another round of embarrassing headlines. Gophers never seem to be able to get out of their own way as a football program. Even when they have some small success they have someone shooting themselves in the foot and being a doofus.

Allegations last year where found by the U to not be credible and weren't anything like this one.... other than that they've been pretty clean crime wise for a while.

Let's just hope it's wrong place at the wrong time for these 4 guys.

Let's also not forget there was a victim here and her welfare is more important than anything football.

Let's also not forget that we don't know that there is a victim here. There have been numerous high profile false reports of sexual assault, so we should exercise caution all around.

There is always a victim.
It may not be sex, robbery or simple assault but there always is a victim.

Allegations last year where found by the U to not be credible and weren't anything like this one.... other than that they've been pretty clean crime wise for a while.

This was my thought. Is the last knucklehead from the football program to get into trouble that GeShun Harris character?

Alcohol, drugs, and sex - these are potent powder kegs for all young people on college campuses. Young kids full of testosterone and youthful exuberance.

How do you imbue in young athletes' minds that there is a line that you cannot cross? It is sad to see kids make irrevocable mistakes.

This is a tough challenge for all the college coaches and administrators. However, it is incumbent upon them to drill in kids' minds the proper code of conduct. When they put on a Gopher uniform, they represent the U.

Maybe all incoming athletes should take some kind of mandatory class on the subject of proper conduct and expectations, and make clear the consequences of bad behavior.

They do have a mandatory online class just started. But it really does nothing as all you have to do is click through it. Completing a class is not going to change much in my opinion. Someone with the idea that sexually assaulting someone is ok to do is not going to think back to a class they took one time and stop. again just my .02

Hopefully if they were actually involved then it's only one or two of them and not all four.

After the situation with the Gopher basketball players last year, and the Reggie Lynch investigation, you would think that every scholarship athlete on campus understands that they cannot put themselves in compromising positions. If that means you don't get to have as much "fun" as other students, well, that's part of the price of a full-ride scholarship to a D1 school.

Obviously, we don't know the details in this case - and may never know all the details - but Claeys has every right to be mad at these guys.

Well on the bright side will have a normal sized recruiting class instead of a small one

Well on the bright side will have a normal sized recruiting class instead of a small one

Provided the NCAA doesn't sweep down on us and punish us for Baylor or something.

Granted who knows what the outcome will be... I don't.

[/B]

They do have a mandatory online class just started. But it really does nothing as all you have to do is click through it. Completing a class is not going to change much in my opinion. Someone with the idea that sexually assaulting someone is ok to do is not going to think back to a class they took one time and stop. again just my .02

On-line classes does nothing to underscore the seriousness of following the code of conduct. This class must be taught live, and should include talk by coaches and people like Coyle.

Kids commit crimes regardless of whether they are rich or poor, or from strict or undisciplined upbringing. They all can commit sexual assaults and other crimes as evident in the news.

They need sensitivity training about right and wrong. If you see someone committing a serious crime like forcible rape, say something. Stop it. Report it to the proper authorities.

Provided the NCAA doesn't sweep down on us and punish us for Baylor or something.

Granted who knows what the outcome will be... I don't.

Isn't Baylor in trouble because they covered it up for a while? There's no evidence of a cover up here. I can't imagine the NCAA would have an issue if you act appropriately after a student-athlete (allegedly) does something like this.

Isn't Baylor in trouble because they covered it up for a while? There's no evidence of a cover up here. I can't imagine the NCAA would have an issue if you act appropriately after a student-athlete (allegedly) does something like this.

I was semi joking. The NCAA is pretty random in their punishments. Sometimes it looks like one school gets off while another gets severely punished in their place.

UNC had fake classes, they taught nothing, to keep players eligible. They've admitted it and everything. NCAA has not done anything....

Isn't Ray Buford's dad work for the Detroit police department? I don't know that for a fact but let's not be so quick to judge. A lot of good kids come from bad parts of the world and a lot of bad kids come from great places. Some come from good families and others not so good. Pretty sure Sam Maresh and Phillip Nelson came from pretty white color communities and they still made poor decisions. Kids will be kids and you hope they make smart decisions but it's not always the case. It really sucks if what the rumors of what they may have done are true, but no reason to state that we should no longer recruit or accept players from certain parts of the states. No matter how much homework the coaches do on a kids background, there is still no guarantee that there won't be issues once they get into school. It's like the star system with recruiting, it's not an exact science. Let's hope they get cleared from any wrongdoing and if not, they will be punished accordingly. Too bad the rest of the team has to pay a price as well since they would have been contributing players not only this year but the next few as well.

Quit recruiting the Detroit area....

Yeah, kids from the Detroit area don't deserve opportunities because they are from Detroit.

I have relatives who live one mile from the Detroit city border line. Lots of great people live there.

These three went to high school in the Southfield District, which is a suburb of Detroit.

I believe Mason got Ron Johnson from the Detroit area. Easily, one of my top 10 Gophers.

I'd say Claeys should stop recruiting the Ely area. Ive heard there can be some shady characters.

Huh. I had a post. Now I don't have a post. What I wrote was so unbelievably offensive that it had to be deleted? OK, then.

Let the process work itself out before we convict them. Obviously, they were not making a good decision to be put in that position in the first place but as we just saw with the Lynch ordeal...nothing may come of it. We certainly do not need to stop recruiting an entire geographical area because of an allegation.

Alcohol, drugs, and sex - these are potent powder kegs for all young people on college campuses. Young kids full of testosterone and youthful exuberance.

Stop making excuses for bad behavior.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yeah, kids from the Detroit area don't deserve opportunities because they are from Detroit.

I have relatives who live one mile from the Detroit city border line. Lots of great people live there.

These three went to high school in the Southfield District, which is a suburb of Detroit.

So relatives not really in Detroit.

Quit recruiting the Detroit area....

Every time I think, "Well, that's his dumbest post yet," you prove me wrong.

Why some find sarcasm so hard to grasp is beyond me. Settle down boys.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This appears to be a very bad situation for U football. The only positive thing thus far is it looks like Claeys has zero tolerance regarding such matters. I'd rather lose with good character players than win with scummy types. Hopefully these guys were just in the wrong place at the wrong time but I wouldn't bet the farm on it.

This appears to be a very bad situation for U football. The only positive thing thus far is it looks like Claeys has zero tolerance regarding such matters. I'd rather lose with good character players than win with scummy types. Hopefully these guys were just in the wrong place at the wrong time but I wouldn't bet the farm on it.

It might be terrible but at least as soon as the incident happened we suspended them. No cover up or such things. It's the cover up or investigation tampering that really gets you in trouble.

This is also the first really bad thing in a while as far as football goes.

Top Bottom