Other Bowl Games Thread - 2019 College Bowl Season Edition

I think I don't understand the rule as well on the punting penalty. I just thought OSU player f-ed up by putting himself in that position in the first place.
roughing - is an action in which a defender, having missed an attempt to block a kick, tackles the kicker or otherwise runs into the kicker in a way that might injure the kicker or his vulnerable extended kicking leg

The Clemson punter jumped into the OSU defender, who was trying to avoid him. The correct call was running into the kicker, which is 5 yards and not automatic first down.

It's a subjective judgement called, and the refs screwed it up. My opinion

I'm just glad OSU is up, at the moment.

Dobbins coming back into the game is big, in my opinion.

Fields is terrible! Takes way too much time

I'm still trying to figure out what kicking the extra point did for OSU. You are up 2 points in getting it. Why not go for two?

Sorry folks. But I keep watching that overturned scoop and score by Ohio State. The receiver catches the ball and takes three steps before the ball comes out. I really don’t understand how it could in any conceivable way be overturned. And so quickly. Refs absolutely screwed up on that one.
[/QUOTE

Agreed, I don't see how this is was catch and a football move and that one wasn't.

I'm still trying to figure out what kicking the extra point did for OSU. You are up 2 points in getting it. Why not go for two?
I've always heard that coaches have this standardized lookup table on when to go for 2 or not, depending on the game scores.

Who knows, maybe it's a 50-50 call at that game score. You can always say it was the right call, if Clemson somehow gets a safety and then OSU wins in OT ... if you're not at all sure that you would've gotten the 2.

Too much time left to not take the automatic point, IMHO. In the NFL you go for 2 since the kick is not 99% probable.

Too much time left to not take the automatic point, IMHO. In the NFL you go for 2 since the kick is not 99% probable.

It's the 4th quarter with few possessions left. I don't get it. There was 12 minutes left in the game.

Up one or 2, a field goal beats you. I just don't get it.

In the case where the OSU punter was trying to draw the offside, what would be the call if an opposing player kicked the ball away from the snapper?

Agreed, I don't see how this is was catch and a football move and that one wasn't.
The completion of the catch (or interception) occurred out of bounds (which is OK, but I suspect is what is confusing some here).

It's the 4th quarter with few possessions left. I don't get it. There was 12 minutes left in the game.

Up one or 2, a field goal beats you. I just don't get it.
If clemson had scored a TD then they can only go up by as many as 6. Turns out they didn't but I can see the logic.

Scored too soon. Ohio State will have time to mount a drive. If Ohio State is a championship team they score and move on.

Wow. The center cannot hold.

Clemson scoring a TD probably the best thing that could have happened for OSU after they made it into field goal range. Still time to go down and score.

After Clemson got to field goal range, the only way OSU could win is to let them score and get the ball back.
Edit: Pompous beat me to it.

If clemson had scored a TD then they can only go up by as many as 6. Turns out they didn't but I can see the logic.

clemson just got the td, but even without it, they would have kicked a field goal and been up 1

I say it was dumb.

Why wasn't there a penalty for the Clemson player spiking the ball after the TD?

Top Bottom