OLD MUSIC

Full moon tonight had me thinking NY. Harvest Moon, a few months tardy.

Bunny Wailer passed away. Here's a classic.

KINGSTON, Jamaica -- Bunny Wailer, a reggae luminary who was the last surviving founding member of the legendary group The Wailers, died on Tuesday in his native Jamaica. He was 73.

Wailer, a baritone singer whose birth name is Neville Livingston, formed The Wailers in 1963 with late superstars Bob Marley and Peter Tosh when they lived in a slum in the capital of Kingston. They catapulted to international fame with the album, “Catch a Fire" and also helped popularize Rastafarian culture among better-off Jamaicans starting in the 1970s.

I came across this website/column recently and the whole premise is strangely addicting-the author has a write-up on every #1 song, according to Billboard, from 1958 to present. I've been mining the mid-80s right now and I've learned more about the likes of Club Nouveau and Cutting Crew than I ever thought necessary.
Stereogum: The Number Ones

CSNY Shares Songs From ‘Déjà Vu’ 50th Anniversary Edition​

One year after its actual golden anniversary, Crosby, Stills, Nash & Young’s Déjà Vu will be receiving a 50th Anniversary deluxe edition with hours of rare and unreleased studio recordings. The March 17, 2021 announcement described the original as “the most-anticipated new album in America in 1970.” The album includes such legendary songs as “Carry On,” “Teach Your Children,” “Our House” and “Woodstock.”

Rhino will be releasing an expansive 4-CD/1-LP collection on May 14 that includes a “pristine” version of the original album on both 180-gram vinyl and CD, plus hours of rare and unreleased studio recordings “that provide incredible insight into the making of the record.” The complete track listing is below.

Déjà Vu: 50th Anniversary Deluxe Edition
4-CD/1-LP Track Listing

Disc One: Original Album

1. “Carry On”
2. “Teach Your Children”
3. “Almost Cut My Hair”
4. “Helpless”
5. “Woodstock”
6. “Déjà Vu”
7. “Our House”
8. “4 + 20”
9. “Country Girl”
a. “Whiskey Boot Hill”
b. “Down, Down, Down”
c. “Country Girl” (I Think You’re Pretty)
10. “Everybody I Love You”

Related: When Tom Jones sang with Crosby, Stills, Nash & Young

Disc Two: Demos

1. “Our House” – Graham Nash *
2. “4 + 20” – Stephen Stills *
3. “Song With No Words (Tree With No Leaves)” – David Crosby & Graham Nash
4. “Birds” – Neil Young & Graham Nash *
5. “So Begins The Task/Hold On Tight” – Stephen Stills *
6. “Right Between The Eyes” – Graham Nash
7. “Almost Cut My Hair” – David Crosby *
8. “Teach Your Children” – Graham Nash & David Crosby
9. “How Have You Been” – Crosby, Stills & Nash
10. “Triad” – David Crosby
11. “Horses Through A Rainstorm” – Graham Nash
12. “Know You Got To Run” – Stephen Stills *
13. “Question Why” – Graham Nash *
14. “Laughing” – David Crosby *
15. “She Can’t Handle It” – Stephen Stills *
16. “Sleep Song” – Graham Nash
17. “Déjà Vu” – David Crosby & Graham Nash *
18. “Our House” – Graham Nash & Joni Mitchell *

Disc Three: Outtakes

1. “Everyday We Live” *
2. “The Lee Shore” – 1969 Vocal *
3. “I’ll Be There” *
4. “Bluebird Revisited” *
5. “Horses Through A Rainstorm”
6. “30 Dollar Fine” *
7. “Ivory Tower” *
8. “Same Old Song” *
9. “Hold On Tight/Change Partners” *
10. “Laughing” *
11. “Right On Rock ’n’ Roll” *

Disc Four: Alternates

1. “Carry On” – Early Alternate Mix *
2. “Teach Your Children” – Early Version *
3. “Almost Cut My Hair” – Early Version *
4. “Helpless” – Harmonica Version
5. “Woodstock” – Alternate Vocals *
6. “Déjà Vu” – Early Alternate Mix *
7. “Our House” – Early Version *
8. “4 + 20” – Alternate Take 2 *
9. “Know You Got To Run” *

LP: Original Album

Side One

1. “Carry On”
2. “Teach Your Children”
3. “Almost Cut My Hair”
4. “Helpless”
5. “Woodstock”

Side Two
1. “Déjà Vu”
2. “Our House”
3. “4 + 20”
4. “Country Girl”
a. “Whiskey Boot Hill”
b. “Down, Down, Down”
c. “Country Girl” (I Think You’re Pretty)
5. “Everybody I Love You”

* previously unissued

Last edited:

Crosby, Stills and Nash — as well as Crosby, Stills, Nash and Young, were and still are truly great.

And when you think of all the amazing music that was put out by the bands those guys had been in previously (The Byrds, The Hollies, Buffalo Springfield)... it boggles the mind.

I love this little clip. Nash and Colbert. In the last two minutes of this short video, Graham demonstrates that ability that only the truly great singer-songwriters possess — performing a timeless song, with just his voice and an acoustic guitar, in front of an audience.

If you can play and sing like this, age really doesn't matter.

A quintessential late 60s 'hippie' anthem; I'd be shocked if it doesn't still resonate today.

Some years ago, I divorced after 22 years of marriage. When I moved out of our home to a new bachelor apartment, I woke up next morning after a night sleeping on my brand-new, unfamiliar couch. And this 40 year-old song encapsulated my feeling on awakening in my strange new 'home'...

Sung and played by The Maestro.

I recently stumbled upon these two videos on Youtube. It's amazing the little treasures you can find there.

Last edited:

I recently stumbled upon these two videos on Youtube. It's amazing the little treasures you can find there.

If anybody questions how great a band they were (not just record makers), the Revolution video answers that. That they never got to tour together on some of that later material is a tragedy.

If anybody questions how great a band they were (not just record makers), the Revolution video answers that. That they never got to tour together on some of that later material is a tragedy.

Agreed. The Beatles were hugely popular playing in packed clubs in Liverpool and Hamburg, Germany, before they ever started recording their music.

Agreed. The Beatles were hugely popular playing in packed clubs in Liverpool and Hamburg, Germany, before they ever started recording their music.
They were the ultimate bar band for years.

Lloyd Price was one of the great R&B stars of the 1950s and ‘60s, known for hits including “Personality” and “Lawdy Miss Clawdy.”

• Died: May 3, 2021 (Who else died on May 3?)
  • Details of death: Died in New Rochelle, New York of complications of diabetes at the age of 88.

Mr. Personality

Price was still a teen when he recorded his first hit, “Lawdy Miss Clawdy,” in 1952. Written by Price and recorded with Fats Domino (1928–2017) on piano, it became an R&B hit and was one of the legendary tracks that helped lay the groundwork for the development of rock and roll. “Lawdy Miss Clawdy” was later recorded by artists including Elvis Presley (1935–1977) and Paul McCartney.
In later years, Price became a promoter, working with Don King on the iconic “Rumble in the Jungle” boxing match as well as promoting concerts. He was also an entrepreneur with a line of Southern foods including Lawdy Miss Clawdy Sweet Potato Cookies and Lloyd Price’s Soulful ‘n’ Smooth Grits. In 1998, Price was inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame.

Price on his earliest days as a performer

“My mother had a sandwich shop, and there weren’t more than 10 records on the juke box, but I knew all 20 sides, both the ‘A’ sides and the ‘B’ sides. I’d sit there and listen to them as people came into the shop for sandwiches. It only cost a nickel, and I would dance and they’d throw pennies on the floor. I think that’s how it all really started. I just thought I could do it.” —from a 2017 interview with Jazz Weekly

The most underrated 90's band imo.
Good reminder, I had been meaning to get a copy of I Should Coco. Did not listen to them back in the day and really only started a couple years back.

Robert Zimmerman - Happy 80th Birthday! - Forever Young

The Beach Boys on the Ed Sullivan Show:

I Get Around

Good Vibrations

Following up with another TV appearance by another striped shirt band also managed by Murray Wilson we also have the Sunrays "I Live for the Sun". Perfect for our current streak of summer weather.

Speaking of TV shows: six months before Elvis's censored appearance on Ed Sullivan, the King hit the tube via the Dorsey Brothers Stage Show:

Following up with another TV appearance by another striped shirt band also managed by Murray Wilson we also have the Sunrays "I Live for the Sun". Perfect for our current streak of summer weather.

That looks exactly like the template for "The Playtone Cavalcade of Stars" from That Thing You Do, just missing Capt Geech and the Shrimp Shack Shooters.

Heard this Cure song on the SXM Hall of Fame Channel, which I listen to on occasion. For sure in my Top 5 of their songs, Pictures of You

Good excuse to play this hilarious HoF red carpet interview clip.

Stevie Ray Vaughan & Double Trouble, a double dose, Crossfire and The House Is Rockin

From the interview, sure am glad Stevie did get to put down the album he alluded would be recorded with Jimmie. Family Style.

Paul Westerberg playing the 'Mats If Only You Were Lonely

Top Bottom