OLD MUSIC

beatles

Reaction score
Robert Zimmerman - Happy 80th Birthday! - Forever Young

I once stood shoulder to shoulder with Bob Dylan at a urinal in Buffalo at a golf course. I was there to golf, he was there for a wedding. True story.

Ope3

Reaction score
Richard Thompson pre-beret with I Ain't Going to Drag My Feet No More

Go4Broke

Reaction score

Grace Slick of Jefferson Airplane: how we made White Rabbit

All fairytales that are read to little girls feature a Prince Charming who comes and saves them. But Alice’s Adventures in Wonderland did not. Alice was on her own, and she was in a very strange place, but she kept on going and she followed her curiosity – that’s the White Rabbit. A lot of women could have taken a message from that story about how you can push your own agenda.

The 1960s resembled Wonderland for me. Like Alice, I met all kinds of strange characters, but I was comfortable with it. I wrote White Rabbit on a red upright piano that cost me about $50. It had eight or 10 keys missing, but that was OK because I could hear in my head the notes that weren’t there. I used that piano to write several different songs. When I started making money I bought a better one.

I heard Ravel’s Bolero on the radio and it surprised the hell out of me. I love Spanish music and I’m inspired by things irrespective of how popular they are. Bolero starts off with a couple of instruments and then more are added. It feels like how an orgasm is built. My song also built in that same way.

The song is a little dark. It’s not saying everything’s going to be wonderful. The Red Queen is shouting “off with her head” and the “White Knight is talking backwards”. Lewis Carroll was looking at how things are run and the people who rule us.

I was performing White Rabbit with The Great Society and Jefferson Airplane asked me to join the band. I said “you betcha!” because I really liked Jack Casady’s playing – the sound of his bass just knocked my socks off. The song is in F sharp, which is difficult for guitar players as it requires some intricate fingering, but [lead guitarist] Jorma [Kaukonen] and Jack are very good musicians so they were able to adapt to it and do it very well.

White Rabbit’s been bringing in royalties for over 50 years. I still get to pay my bills off that one song. Now that’s a good song!

https://www.theguardian.com/music/2...f-jefferson-airplane-how-we-made-white-rabbit

Last edited:

Ope3

Reaction score
When time travel becomes a thing, sign me up for a trip to see the Huskers circa 1985 for the New Day Rising tour. Books About UFOs

stocker08

Reaction score
'The Downward Spiral' is a top-25 album. Johnny Cash's rendition of 'Hurt' is better than the original.

stocker08

Reaction score
And on the NIN subject....'Reptile' is Reznor's best song.

Ope3

Reaction score
I remember watching this clip on SNL as a kid, thinking it was bizarre and maybe I was just too young to get it. 45 years later still weird, but I enjoy the quirky song itself. George with Crackerbox Palace

Top Bottom