OLD MUSIC

Just stumbled across this video of War covering Paint It Black. Looks to be the same set from the Spill the Wine video I posted earlier in this thread. I have a few live War records, and they're all pretty solid.

I don't think this all that old. From 1997. This performance though from Willie Nelson and Funny how times slips away is brilliant:

2 legends. Understatement.

Just stumbled across this video of War covering Paint It Black. Looks to be the same set from the Spill the Wine video I posted earlier in this thread. I have a few live War records, and they're all pretty solid.

I really liked the Animals. Perhaps my favorite song by them is "I'm Mad Again". John Lee Hooker song. Fantastic lyrics. Some of that organ stuff that reminded of 96 Tears song, which I thought was over done by ? & the Mysterians. Animals had just the right amount.

I really liked the Animals. Perhaps my favorite song by them is "I'm Mad Again". John Lee Hooker song. Fantastic lyrics. Some of that organ stuff that reminded of 96 Tears song, which I thought was over done by ? & the Mysterians. Animals had just the right amount.
I like The Animals alright, though I don't know much beyond their greatest hits album. I really like what Eric Burdon & War did -- form a band with truly diverse backgrounds, in this case CA funk and English rock. I like post-EB War as much as EB War.

Eric Burdon did a show at some random place like the Medina Ballroom a few years ago, and I remember wondering if he'll do any War songs. But I didn't go because I figured the music would be too loud.

I cannot find this video, but please post if you find it. Ed Sullivan is introducing Paul Revere and the Raiders, singing Kicks. There is a delay at the beginning of the song and Ed is saying something like "let's go, let's go, come on!" Mark Lindsay the lead singer, is pissed about the situation, and he glancing up at the sound people above him and gives them a death stare. One of my favorite old music videos.

I like The Animals alright, though I don't know much beyond their greatest hits album. I really like what Eric Burdon & War did -- form a band with truly diverse backgrounds, in this case CA funk and English rock. I like post-EB War as much as EB War.

Eric Burdon did a show at some random place like the Medina Ballroom a few years ago, and I remember wondering if he'll do any War songs. But I didn't go because I figured the music would be too loud.
Yeah, I always wondered how they got hooked up.

Saw him at the Fine Line in the 90's. Great mix of cover tunes, Animals, and War. It was just the right volume...which was loud.

A couple of Animals bits from 1963 live in Newcastle: Let it Rock and Gotta Find My Baby

This just came across my Facebook feed. A trombonist for the International Sweethearts of Rhythm passed away from Covid. ISoR was an all-female big band that played during WWII. I had never heard of them, but apparently they were like A League of Their Own for jazz.

Whenever I wear my green pants and rust-colored sweater--as I am today--I can't help but think of George in this video.

14 seconds into the video, George turns to Paul and says. "John's microphone sucks"

Thank you Nokomis, FORW, and Ignatius for The Animals/Eric Burdon & War notice-beyond the obvious songs, I hadn't listened to either much and did a bit of a deep dive this weekend that was pretty awesome and expansive. I'll start with the nearly 15 minute Burdon & War rendition of Tobacco Road:

After spending a bit of time with Burdon/Animals/War, I was led to Fanny-anyone familiar with this band? I had never heard of them, but they were the first all-women rock & roll band to release an album on a major label:

It's criminal that the only T Rex song played on classic rock stations (at least to my experience) was Bang a Gong, with 20th Century Boy and it's perfect opening guitar riff:

And while there was a lot more music in between, the weekend culminated with this clip of The Rolling Stones joining Muddy Waters on stage in 1981 at Buddy Guy's club in Chicago. This is one clip, there's a 44 minute video available to watch also. If you'd ask what my fantasy would be when I head to a club to watch music, it'd pretty much be this:

Love Joni Mitchell's original version of Woodstock.

After spending a bit of time with Burdon/Animals/War, I was led to Fanny-anyone familiar with this band? I had never heard of them, but they were the first all-women rock & roll band to release an album on a major label:
Just discovered them a couple years back. Really impressive. This song just rips and their cover of Badge by Cream is absolutely fantastic.

Last edited:

Could have been in the Musical Tidbits, but Mark Naftalin of the band is Minneapolis Mayor Naftalin's son.

Last edited:

It's criminal that the only T Rex song played on classic rock stations (at least to my experience) was Bang a Gong, with 20th Century Boy and it's perfect opening guitar riff:
Electric Warrior is one of my favorite albums ever.

That is a great video. Joni Mitchell did not go to Woodstock, because she did the Dick Cavett show instead.
Her manager kind of twisted her arm. Wonder if he remained her manager after that?

The Ikettes on American Band Stand in '65 stepping out front with their 1962 hit I'm Blue (The Gong-Gong Song). No one gong-gonged like the Ikettes:

Springsteen did the 8th in his series of music "for troubled times" yesterday. (They're all available on demand for SiriusXM subscribers, and they're fantastic.) He raved about "Under the Boardwalk" and how wonderful and well-crafted a song it is and, of course, the memories it brings back for him and his days under the Atlantic City boardwalk. He played the Rolling Stones' cover of the song, which he called a little punkier, and I got the feeling it might be his favorite version.

I am listening to this right now, it's awesome.

I had heard the first 3 when Sirius/XM did the free streaming through May and have now ponied up for it. I am working my way backwards, the 9th episode was a fun show with Patti, focusing on her music. They were a few eyebrow raising comments on how their romance started as well, nothing shocking though.

Always kind of liked this song. Thought it was pretty cool. Don't think Winwood was much older than 18-19 years old at the time.

Top Bottom