Ohio State vs Oregon CFP Title Game Thread

Like I already mentioned, I don't think it means we'll start signing a bunch of 4-star kids or anything. Just that if OSU winning it all convinces a few recruits that the Big Ten isn't so bad and the Gophers are worth a look, then I think it benefits us.

Of course, it's impossible to ever really know.

True.

Best I can do at this point is go back to 2002 with Rivals ratings (the year prior to OSU winning their last national title). Of course, the rankings are not perfect, but are probably the best indicator we have of the perception of talent coming out of high school.

That year, we ranked #55 in the team rankings. The B1G had three teams in the top 25 (OSU #5, Michigan #16, Penn State #21).

In the years immediately following:

2003: Minnesota #37 (B1G one team in top 25, Michigan #17)
2004: Minnesota #83 (B1G three teams in top 25, Michigan #8, Michigan State #15, Ohio State #16)
2005: Minnesota #55 (B1G four teams in top 25, Michigan #6, Iowa #11, Ohio State #12, Penn State #25)
2006: Minnesota #61 (B1G three teams in top 25, Penn State #6, Ohio State #12, Michigan #13)
2007: Minnesota #57 (B1G three teams in top 25, Michigan #12, Ohio State #15, Penn State #24)

Things generally have stayed consistent for us, outside of a couple Brewster years, with respect to recruiting rankings (we pretty much live in the 50's). If this win by Ohio State changes that for us, all the better. I hope it does and we can attract a few other kids to campus to help us win.

B10 represented really well in the postseason this year. Looking forward to next!

And congratulations to Ohio State on the national championship. Without a few silly turnovers, the game could have been a lot uglier.

3.....2.......1 OK, done cheering for OH State.
They are now again the enemy.

Congrats to OSU. They deserve it. Definitely looking forward positively to our game against them next season. Go Gophers! Ski-U-Mah!

I don't see, honestly, how Ohio State winning helps our program. The conference having a good bowl season? Sure, I can buy it. But this will literally build OSU and the teams willing to pour money to keep up (Michigan) into great, national power, Alabama-type teams and I fear we will see no benefit. We're going up against OSU for more recruits than we are against Oregon in most years. Plus, we have to deal with their insufferable fans more than we have to deal with Oregon's insufferable fans.

They have won 100% of their regular season games the last three years. Are you afraid because they win today that they'll win 105%?

how big is your tv? i have a 50 inch and the game picture on the left is a good size. would agree that on a smaller tv it may be a bit smaller game picture than i would prefer.

Doesn't really matter how big the tv is unless it's tiny. The brain is going to make the split screen seem small.

Congrats to OSU. They deserve it. Definitely looking forward positively to our game against them next season. Go Gophers! Ski-U-Mah!

Yep, they were without a doubt the best team down the stretch. They could have put up 60 tonight.

I'll go back to hating OSU now.

Ha Big Ten Baby. Stuck it to the Pac 10. Stuck it to the SEC in the bowl games. Love it.

Ha funny. OSU National Champs. OSU beats Wisconsin by 59 points. Beats Oregon by 22 points and Minnesota by only 7 points. Therefore Minnesota greater than Wisconsin and Oregon. Gotta love the transitive theory. ��

Ha funny. OSU National Champs. OSU beats Wisconsin by 59 points. Beats Oregon by 22 points and Minnesota by only 7 points. Therefore Minnesota greater than Wisconsin and Oregon. Gotta love the transitive theory. ��

Yep, the transitive property theory is the greatest theory of them all. So suck a big one Oregon and Wisconsin. Suck it! ;)

Big Ten beats the champions of the SEC, Pac 12, and Big 12 this postseason.

Good call. That's sweet! If we could have tossed someone against FSU.....they probably would have swept the other power 5 champs.

2003: One Michigan game meltdown from winning the Big Ten and going to the Rose Bowl? HELLO!!!?

That certainly was our peak, though the impact of a championship game from nine months earlier (and a month and a half prior to signing day) probably didn't have a chance to really affect the team to that point. If a national championship for the conference truly affected our ability to recruit players, I would have expected things to really really take off after a 10-3 year, one year after the conference secured a national title.

Instead, we went 7-5, 7-5, 6-7, 1-11 in our next four seasons.

Look, it's an argument I'm clearly not going to win on here - and I think there's probably some merit that this gives us another recruiting pitch, which is not a bad thing. I just don't think it will move the needle much at the end of the day for the Gophers is all. Thankfully it might not matter much because we have a great coaching staff.

So happy to see Gimmick Offense lose tonight. What a solid win by Ohio St who really did the Big Ten proud.

Think about the fact that our Gophers played the #1 and #3 teams in the final rankings.

Oregon can suck it again!

Great night for OSU.

During the first half, the #1 RB in the class of 2016 (Kareem Walker) decided to commit to them.

That certainly was our peak, though the impact of a championship game from nine months earlier (and a month and a half prior to signing day) probably didn't have a chance to really affect the team to that point. If a national championship for the conference truly affected our ability to recruit players, I would have expected things to really really take off after a 10-3 year, one year after the conference secured a national title.

Instead, we went 7-5, 7-5, 6-7, 1-11 in our next four seasons.

Look, it's an argument I'm clearly not going to win on here - and I think there's probably some merit that this gives us another recruiting pitch, which is not a bad thing. I just don't think it will move the needle much at the end of the day for the Gophers is all. Thankfully it might not matter much because we have a great coaching staff.

Depends on how the NC impacts the other Big Ten teams as well. Does it really matter much? How often do we beat out OSU for top recruits? Every once in while on hometown kids. Is this really going to make much of a difference? Doubt it. If anything.....it makes our team slightly more attractive to kids with offers from other conference teams.

I wonder if this championship and Harbaugh at Meechigan, this might just lead to a resurgence of the Big Ten. Let's hope we can figure out a way to recruit enough to stay in the top half...

Top Bottom