***OFFICIAL RUTGERS AT MINNESOTA IN-GAME THREAD!!!***

Agreed. Awfully strange time to be on here downplaying a win. I'm sure missing 3 of your top 4 scorers is a bigger disadvantage than home/road if you ask pretty much any coach.
Not downplaying the win at all. Favorite Gopher team in decades. PEOPLE HAVE DIFFERENT TAKES on teams and programs and i am one who does not think that Rutgers has done much more than get to average. I fully expect to pass them real soon.

Last edited:

All credit due of course. We play like i have been craving for decades. Extremely well coached by the whole staff. Said it when we hired him that Thorson is one of the best teachers i have met. Was only pointing out that Rutgers under their present staff has been horrible on the road. That fact does not take away anything that happened on the floor today.
FRAUD

Had to miss the broadcast today to take my daughter for a Covid test. Anyone know if this game will be rebroadcast or where I can find it?

Next game on Thursday, so we'll have to wait and see who may be able to come back for that one.
But with OSU on Thursday and WI on Sunday, a few more bodies would really help.

Not to mention the possibility that Mr Nut Punch from WI will try to injure as many Gopher players as possible.

Respect our opinion. Mine is that winning 6 out of 21 is horrible. No big deal. Just see it differently than you do.
OK. let's explore this. (not trolling!!)

what would you set as a reasonable or acceptable road winning percentage in a top D1 league like the B1G? winning 6 of 21 is a .286 winning percentage.

(note - Gophers last year were 0-10 on the road in B1G games........)

Huge momentum win, next game we'll have everyone back and 2-3 players off the bench we can actually use
I don't see why they can't go big at times, have to play a zone but Thompson, Daniels, and Battle would make it tough to shoot over, a little like Syracuse, not something you want to do very often but a change of pace and a new way to rotate players.

OK. let's explore this. (not trolling!!)

what would you set as a reasonable or acceptable road winning percentage in a top D1 league like the B1G? winning 6 of 21 is a .286 winning percentage.

(note - Gophers last year were 0-10 on the road in B1G games........)

Let's not explore this.

Enjoy the win and talk about today's game.

Just think how good we would be if we hadn’t made that awful decision of hiring Ben Johnson as coach!!

A few thoughts:

1. There are no easy road wins in the B1G.
2. Rutgers looked like they thought they were going to pick up an easy road win today. They were playing like they expected the gophers to fold. Never happened.
3. Ron Harper Jr. definitely has NBA talent. It's too bad that he doesn't care enough to get himself in good enough shape to play in the NBA.
4. Treyton Thompson isn't exactly All B1G. However, I'm not sure why it took desperate circumstances for Johnson to give him a shot with a roster that's incredibly thin. He's definitely capable of contributing.
5. Johnson is a really, really good coach. Rutgers is a much better team with superior size and talent, especially offensively. Johnson threw just enough different defensive looks at Rutgers to keep them from taking over the game. Rutgers went on two or three 7 point runs. It could have and should have been much worse.
6. My guess is that Willis got really frustrated playing behind Carr and that's why he transferred. I'd take Willis over Carr all day, every day.
7. Outstanding win today. It will be fun to see what the program looks like in a couple of years.
No. 4 -- The Thompson who showed up last summer could not do what TT did today. The current version has not been sitting on the bench all season just waiting for Ben to figure out he could play and contribute. The coaches have been bringing him along every day in practice and mentally.

That is the process that brought TT to his two great performances in the past two games. We are seeing coaching at its best.

No. 4 -- The Thompson who showed up last summer could not do what TT did today. The current version has not been sitting on the bench all season just waiting for Ben to figure out he could play and contribute. The coaches have been bringing him along every day in practice and mentally.

That is the process that brought TT to his two great performances in the past two games. We are seeing coaching at its best.
Right. The kid had nothing until he got to Mn.

Huge win for Ben and the program today. That is Iron 5 material there in terms of just battling. Getting to the Barn I had no idea who would be out. When I saw the team come out, my heart sunk. No chance they win, I thought. It's just Rutgers and we are still 2-5 but this win has some enduring qualities to it. Hats off to these kids.

Top Bottom