Official "Mitch Leidner is not a division one QB" thread

I wanted to put my 2 cents in here now that some things have changed in my mind.

Firstly Mitch is the kind of QB that should only start for the University of Minnesota as a senior. A guy that perhaps was a career backup and got a chance to start for ONE season because of his leadership skills and grasp of the system. In this respect is Mitch a Division 1 QB. With that said, we need to raise our expectations of what our starting QB should do for our offense. I have not been impressed with the positional play the whole year, and there needs to be an emphasis on talent and development. If we had a Chandler Harnish level QB this year we would have maybe 1 loss this year, and it wouldn't have been to TCU/Michigan. (We probably could've knocked off the Buckeyes too)

I look forward to Claeys taking control of this team, but I expect progress to be made quickly on the QB front. If that means recruiting a JuCo guy to be a bridge, go for it. I'm not asking for a Heisman level guy, but we can not allow ourselves to be bottlenecked like this at such an important position. This staff has the 2016 season to figure out the way forward for the position. I expect Mitch to start as a 5th year senior, even if I'm not thrilled by the prospect. This staff NEEDS to go out and find a their guy, and they need to keep finding players that can compete at a B1G level every 2-3 years minimum.

Finally, I'm not trying to go full rube on this one, and I wouldn't expect him to be an overnight savior here considering the track record of MN QBs, but go get Seth Green.

Seth Green hasn't shown the ability to play QB at a big time HS. What makes you think that will change at a FBS level program?

I wanted to put my 2 cents in here now that some things have changed in my mind.

Firstly Mitch is the kind of QB that should only start for the University of Minnesota as a senior. A guy that perhaps was a career backup and got a chance to start for ONE season because of his leadership skills and grasp of the system. In this respect is Mitch a Division 1 QB. With that said, we need to raise our expectations of what our starting QB should do for our offense. I have not been impressed with the positional play the whole year, and there needs to be an emphasis on talent and development. If we had a Chandler Harnish level QB this year we would have maybe 1 loss this year, and it wouldn't have been to TCU/Michigan. (We probably could've knocked off the Buckeyes too)

I look forward to Claeys taking control of this team, but I expect progress to be made quickly on the QB front. If that means recruiting a JuCo guy to be a bridge, go for it. I'm not asking for a Heisman level guy, but we can not allow ourselves to be bottlenecked like this at such an important position. This staff has the 2016 season to figure out the way forward for the position. I expect Mitch to start as a 5th year senior, even if I'm not thrilled by the prospect. This staff NEEDS to go out and find a their guy, and they need to keep finding players that can compete at a B1G level every 2-3 years minimum.

Finally, I'm not trying to go full rube on this one, and I wouldn't expect him to be an overnight savior here considering the track record of MN QBs, but go get Seth Green.

There is no question the injury bug as a whole hurt the team this year. More so, the offensive line which is very critical to smooth execution. How many re-shuffling of the O-Line have they done the last few games? That wouldn't be so good for the synchronicity of the offense.

Looking for another instate savior is fraught with risks. What did Jerry Kill say, he will never recruit another instate QB after seeing the severe criticisms Mitch and his family had to endure. Some are outright malicious and mean spirited.

I have nothing against Seth Green, but he better have thick skin should he decide this is where he wants to play QB.

Demry Croft and Tony Poljan - One of these guys may have the "it" factor and may surprise. I am excited for both because I believe they are good prospects for the future.

IMHO, Mitch has been improving each season and I expect him to be the starting QB next season. We hope that Demry Croft is a quick learner ready to challenge Mitch for the starting job because that will mean the team will be that better at the most critical position.

Mitch is a leader. Like Short Ornery has said, he kept the game competitive and us watching.

I am optimistic that next season the Gophers will pleasantly surprise us. Being a life long fan, I feel that I am psychologically damaged. Always expect the worse while secretly harboring a wish for championship season.

Leidner now up to #6 ranked quarterback in the Big Ten according to ESPN's QBR.

In league games, only Ruddock has a better completion percentage than Mitch.

ESPN 2015 Big Ten Conference Leaders TOTAL QBR

1 Jake Rudock, MICH76.9
2 Connor Cook, MSU 76.2
3 C.J. Beathard, IOWA 75.2
4 Tommy Armstrong Jr., NEB 74.1
5 Nate Sudfeld, IND 70.6
6 Mitch Leidner, MINN 60.9
7 Joel Stave, WIS 60.9
8 David Blough, PUR 58.1
9 Cardale Jones, OSU 52.4
10 Clayton Thorson, NW 49.8
11 Christian Hackenberg, PSU 48.7
12 Wes Lunt, ILL 46.6
13 Chris Laviano, RUTG 45.5
14 Perry Hills, MD 42.6

It would be great if Mitch could play the entire next season the way he has played the last three games. If he does that, it would take a lunatic to not like him at qb.

It would be great if Mitch could play the entire next season the way he has played the last three games. If he does that, it would take a lunatic to not like him at qb.

Plenty of lunatics post on this board every day. Might as well start the official Demry Croft is not a division I quarterback thread now.:horse:

Understand but probably four games. He went 26 for 40 for 301 yards and a TD to go with those 2 interceptions against Nebraska. That was with a running game that carried the ball 26 times for only 65 yards. That made the performance even more remarkable.

Clear a big space on Leidner Island for Patrick:

http://www.startribune.com/leidner-...results-look-familiar-in-lakeville/352140301/

Five months after boos descended on Porzingis, the Knicks were playing Charlotte in Madison Square Garden. The young man had 29 points, 11 rebounds and a blocked shot. He was 2 for 2 on three-pointers.

And the Knicks’ crowd constantly chanted his name – “Poz-ZING-is’’ – and also broke into “MVP’’ a time or two.

The instructive part of this is simple: Fans are beautiful.

And there’s a case to be made that perhaps followers of the Gophers football team should consider a similar transformation when they greet quarterback Mitch Leidner for Saturday morning’s game vs. Illinois.

I'm ready for another 250+ passing yard game out of Mitch. I hope Paul Rovnak has figured out when the last time a Gopher QB has thrown for 250+ in five games as Mike Hohensee's record is going down.

ESPN 2015 Big Ten Conference Leaders TOTAL QBR

1 Jake Rudock, MICH76.9
2 Connor Cook, MSU 76.2
3 C.J. Beathard, IOWA 75.2
4 Tommy Armstrong Jr., NEB 74.1
5 Nate Sudfeld, IND 70.6
6 Mitch Leidner, MINN 60.9
7 Joel Stave, WIS 60.9
8 David Blough, PUR 58.1
9 Cardale Jones, OSU 52.4
10 Clayton Thorson, NW 49.8
11 Christian Hackenberg, PSU 48.7
12 Wes Lunt, ILL 46.6
13 Chris Laviano, RUTG 45.5
14 Perry Hills, MD 42.6

Considering how unimpressed I was with Rudock and Beat-hard...

Nice run of late by Leidner and he deserves credit for that but he still is a below average P5 conference starting QB.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nice run of late by Leidner and he deserves credit for that but he still is a below average P5 conference starting QB.

Trying to look at it objectively, he is currently 60 out of 128 on the ESPN QBR rankings. So by their measure, he's slightly above average for all FBS.

Really, really hope this is becoming normal Leidner and we aren't running into a "he's do for 130 yards and 2 picks" game. He's played extremely well ever since he got healthy, hoping this keeps up.

Trying to look at it objectively, he is currently 60 out of 128 on the ESPN QBR rankings. So by their measure, he's slightly above average for all FBS.

And I can look at it objectively and point out in ESPN rankings for Passing Efficiency Ranking he is 93 out of 125. So by that measure he is well below average.

ML7 will have more good and more bad games in his career. Just accept it. He is above average when on and below average when he is off. Everyone is right. Everyone deserves a ribbon.

And I can look at it objectively and point out in ESPN rankings for Passing Efficiency Ranking he is 93 out of 125. So by that measure he is well below average.

Spin it how you want. He's actually 43rd in PASS EPA: Expected points added on plays with pass attempts.

Total QBR is probably the fairest measure though (60 out of 128).

Very nice of you to give credit to Leidner... and whoops, then to take it away.

Curious, did we ever settle on what a 'division 1 qb' is? Clearly it is not the literal definition which would include anyone who's started two dozen games for a D1 team.

Curious, did we ever settle on what a 'division 1 qb' is? Clearly it is not the literal definition which would include anyone who's started two dozen games for a D1 team.

"D1 QB" is a mythical invention in the minds of frustrated, unfulfilled, disgruntled, and unsatisfied GHers.

Or data mine stats that fit your hate for Mitch.

You've been a dooshbag here for far too long.

Was that comment really directed at me? I have been trying to argue that mitch is a competent qb.

Official "Mitch Leidner is not a division one QB" thread

Was that comment really directed at me? I have been trying to argue that mitch is a competent qb.

Pretty sure it was directed at me.

His pissed that Passing Efficiency, Passing Rating or QB Rating which all are terms for the rating that is commonly used to measure QB performance ranks Leidner in the bottom third of the country. This of course can't be right.

Dude is so clueless he couldn't even get calling me a dooshbag right.

Pretty sure it was directed at me.

His pissed that Passing Efficiency, Passing Rating or QB Rating which all are terms for the rating that is commonly used to measure QB performance. It ranks Leidner lower so I data mined to get my desired result.

Dude is so clueless he couldn't even get calling me a ******bag right.

Because I'm lazy. Can you find a QB with a great rating on a team with the same won loss record?

It works hand in hand. A bad QB can make a team worst but a bad team can have the same effect on a QB.

Because I'm lazy. Can you find a QB with a great rating on a team with the same won loss record?

It works hand in hand. A bad QB can make a team worst but a bad team can have the same effect on a QB.

Of course it can. Never said Lediner is to blame for the Gopher's 4-6 record.

Dude is so clueless he couldn't even get calling me a dooshbag right.

Nope...pretty sure I knew exactly what I was doing. Looks like it took you too long to figure it out. Not surprising. ****ing moron.

Top Bottom