Official "Mitch Leidner is not a division one QB" thread

mitch came through. he is resilient if not talented. i give him tons of credit and am happy for him even though I'd take 100 other QB's instead.

Here is my take... and I'm not defending Leidner, but I think Limegrover could make it a lot easier for Leidner.

The game started and Leidner was already asked to throw deep balls. Why not start him off easy with some short easy passes? I swear Limegrover started him gunslinging like they didn't even respect Colorado State's defense at all. And of course, Leidner couldn't hit the ground if he tried to. It seems like he settled down a bit more in the 2nd half. So maybe he just needs to settle down. Make it easy on him, Limegrover! Is he a B10 QB? Nope. But Kill and Limegrover are too cautious and will not make a change unless Mitch gets injured, and even then, they'll just make the backup QB rush 30 times.

So it's not all Mitch... it's Limegrover also.

Croft should get half the snaps this week in practice with the 1st Team Offense.

Leidner's problems in priority order:

1. Wide Receivers

2. Offensive Line

3. Play Calling

4. Leidner's Accuracy

5. Leidner's Decision Making

End of Story

Mitch seems more comfortable in the hurry up offense.

I know some people have already stated this, but I think we need to continue to implement the hurry up offense with Mitch. Mitch has a lot of problems, but I think a major one is he gets way too excited and nervous and thinks too much and it shows. When the offense gets in a rythym Mitch looks a lot better, and the offense seems to get in the best rythym when they run the hurry up offense. Just a thoguht.

1. Wide Receivers

2. Offensive Line

3. Play Calling

4. Leidner's Accuracy

End of Story

Are you drunk? There is no excuse for Leidner to not hit those easy bunny passes, those are passes a 9th grade QB makes. His accuracy is awful, I will give him that he plays with heart and Limegrover is an awful play caller, but maybe just maybe Limegrover is handcuffed because his QB is not even average. Hard for a WR to catch a ball that has more movement than Ricky Martin shaking his hips and if for some reason it actually gets to them it is high, low or behind them

After several years of this I am convinced that the Gophers biggest detractors contaminate this board. With your kind of support who needs opponents.

I have never complained about jerry kill once until today. We have a great team and keeps holding this group back with Mitch. Instead of putting a QB out there that can throw the ball he puts strevler instead of croft or parra. I could take 9th grade QBs and complete half the passes Mitchell missed by miles. Move him to TE this week.

We need to have open tryouts at the U this week. Because I know there is at least 10-15 kids roaming the halls at the U who were JG or varsity QB in High school they should be starting next week if he won't play croft or parra.

umm many of us knew that Mitcheroo wasn't a quality qb. oh well....

Here is my take... and I'm not defending Leidner, but I think Limegrover could make it a lot easier for Leidner.

The game started and Leidner was already asked to throw deep balls. Why not start him off easy with some short easy passes? I swear Limegrover started him gunslinging like they didn't even respect Colorado State's defense at all. And of course, Leidner couldn't hit the ground if he tried to. It seems like he settled down a bit more in the 2nd half. So maybe he just needs to settle down. Make it easy on him, Limegrover! Is he a B10 QB? Nope. But Kill and Limegrover are too cautious and will not make a change unless Mitch gets injured, and even then, they'll just make the backup QB rush 30 times.

So it's not all Mitch... it's Limegrover also.

This. The gameplan to start was terrible. We started the TCU game with short hitches and slants and Mitch got into a little rhythm. We need to start every game like that, but it took Limegrover an entire half to figure it out.

Mitch was pretty bad all game, but I give the kid credit for stepping up when we needed him most and he won the game. He's still the best option we have. It would help if his OC, OL, and WR's would step up as well.

Watching the game again Leidner has one of the worst throwing motions that I have seen in the long time. He does not step into the throw.

Mitch was pretty bad all game, but I give the kid credit for stepping up when we needed him most and he won the game. He's still the best option we have. It would help if his OC, OL, and WR's would step up as well.

It's pretty crazy how bad he can look and he still has a winning conference record and overall as a starter. The kid finds a way to make 2-3 huge plays a game.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I think Coach Kill said it best at halftime. He was embarrassed, but he said it would be fixed in the second half. They did come out and Leidner marched them right down for an impressive score. However things weren't exactly fixed, as they proceeded to screw around for most of the rest of the game until it was do or die. Then Leidner comes through with an amazing drive. Now unfortunately for most of you guys, this means no start next week for 3rd or 4th string guy. I'm not sure how things are going to get any better for you guys anytime soon. I think you're stuck hoping for more bad play by Leidner which results in actual loses. I'm afraid moral loses like today just won't cut it. I suppose you could hope for an injury. Not much else to be done, unless you think it's time to put Kill on the hot seat. One suggestion: maybe you could stage a boycott. No more watching games, or posting here until there's a QB change. Just switch to the Vikings in the meantime.

nope. not going to hope for mitch failing to make a switch. he's clunky and throws funky but he's our monkey.

I think Coach Kill said it best at halftime. He was embarrassed, but he said it would be fixed in the second half. They did come out and Leidner marched them right down for an impressive score. However things weren't exactly fixed, as they proceeded to screw around for most of the rest of the game until it was do or die. Then Leidner comes through with an amazing drive. Now unfortunately for most of you guys, this means no start next week for 3rd or 4th string guy. I'm not sure how things are going to get any better for you guys anytime soon. I think you're stuck hoping for more bad play by Leidner which results in actual loses. I'm afraid moral loses like today just won't cut it. I suppose you could hope for an injury. Not much else to be done, unless you think it's time to put Kill on the hot seat. One suggestion: maybe you could stage a boycott. No more watching games, or posting here until there's a QB change. Just switch to the Vikings in the meantime.
I wanted to be the first to apologize for critiquing my favorite team in all of sportsdom, because I obviously am wrong in wanting them to be better in key aspects of the game. I should be probably turn in my season tickets of 20+ years which I've bought over other needs of better cars or actually going on a vacation. I should be happy with mediocrity. I'm sorry.

1. Wide Receivers

2. Offensive Line

3. Play Calling

4. Leidner's Accuracy

End of Story

1. Questionable
2. Agree
3. No
4. Yes and directly related to #1
5. Not necessarily and directly related to #3

I wanted to be the first to apologize for critiquing my favorite team in all of sportsdom, because I obviously am wrong in wanting them to be better in key aspects of the game. I should be probably turn in my season tickets of 20+ years which I've bought over other needs of better cars or actually going on a vacation. I should be happy with mediocrity. I'm sorry.

No, no. Don't be so hard on yourself. No need to apologize. I'm just pointing out that quick fixes or changes are unlikely, and wanted you to be prepared. Now you may be onto something with your idea about turning in your season tickets. Nobody should have to be so miserable after spending their hard earned money. We're all entitled to so much better.

I have never complained about jerry kill once until today. We have a great team and keeps holding this group back with Mitch. Instead of putting a QB out there that can throw the ball he puts strevler instead of croft or parra. I could take 9th grade QBs and complete half the passes Mitchell missed by miles. Move him to TE this week.

We need to have open tryouts at the U this week. Because I know there is at least 10-15 kids roaming the halls at the U who were JG or varsity QB in High school they should be starting next week if he won't play croft or parra.

Wow! Talk about an irrational and emotional post. Is your name Trump? Are you going to next suggest that we build a wall?:rolleyes:

Mitch had an awful day, then came through with a game winning desperation drive when he could have given up.

Thank you, Mitch, for your remarkable toughness and resiliency. Whether you start all the games the rest of your career, or whether today was your last, I know you have given all you have, and will always do so.

I really don't think a reasonable person can ask for more from you.

From my perspective, Liedner's biggest issue is his ability to make reads. We run the read option but are ineffective because he can't seem to "read" the correct "option". (Slight aside, he's a poor runner and far too easily arm tackled). Same thing when he throws. The 50% of the time he's somewhere near accurate, he seems to throw to the least open receiver without any touch or placement. If he was good at just 1 thing (running, reading, passing) he'd be fairly effective.

To be fair, our receivers are not average, they're below average. Our OL is average when fully healthy. We are in for a long ****ig year on offense.

No, no. Don't be so hard on yourself. No need to apologize. I'm just pointing out that quick fixes or changes are unlikely, and wanted you to be prepared. Now you may be onto something with your idea about turning in your season tickets. Nobody should have to be so miserable after spending their hard earned money. We're all entitled to so much better.

Why can't you accept his opinion and the truth? Why be a sa when he only stated his opinion?

From my perspective, Liedner's biggest issue is his ability to make reads. We run the read option but are ineffective because he can't seem to "read" the correct "option". (Slight aside, he's a poor runner and far too easily arm tackled). Same thing when he throws. The 50% of the time he's somewhere near accurate, he seems to throw to the least open receiver without any touch or placement. If he was good at just 1 thing (running, reading, passing) he'd be fairly effective.

To be fair, our receivers are not average, they're below average. Our OL is average when fully healthy. We are in for a long ****ig year on offense.

Read through all of these posts and to be honest your statement about a long year is correct from where i am watching them.

I discuss is with Limegrover and if you change QB's you will have the same results. Limegrover has very little flow to his offense and is really easy to defense. there are zero misdirection that is not telegraphed and the passing routes are very suspect and unimaginative,

it will be a very long year, OL is not as good as predicted, WR's are still lost with KJ dropping or not attempting to even fight for the ball and the SR RB is soft as can be for a big bruiser back, Mitch has many issues,

today we were out coached out played and were lucky to come away with a a win

42/80 for 430, 2 TDs, No picks.

At least 10 drops. A couple throwaways. A couple where the receiver ran the wrong route/depth.

It's not Heisman, but it could be worse. I just don't know if it's worth burning a redshirt. I fear the unknown. Maybe I'm an idiot, but if we can't run effectively without 3 starting OL and at least two of 3, if not 3 of 4 top TE's, I don't know what good it'll do to throw one of the kids out there.

It comes down to "I trust this coaching staff." I don;t think they are playing him out of blind allegiance to Mitch. If they thought Perra or Croft were ready and better, they'd play them.

Ok so do I have problems with some of the schemes? Sure.
Playcalling? More than occasionally.
OLine? I don't think it's as big of a liability as people are making it sound.

The thing that frustrates me is simple. Mitch has an inability to complete easy throws. He literally could take a 5 yard out with a corner sitting 10 yards back and make it a difficult completion. He doesn't have the mechanics of a good division one passer.

If our problems lie in talent of WR or O-Line that is on the coaches. We have had decent recruiting classes for those positions so either we swung and missed on recruits or have not made them any better. I thought this year our WR crew would have been much better with last years class all being redshirted at the wr spot. I agree they look slow and unable to get open at times but surely they can design plays where they at least confuse the defense at times on their routes

Ok so do I have problems with some of the schemes? Sure.
Playcalling? More than occasionally.
OLine? I don't think it's as big of a liability as people are making it sound.

The thing that frustrates me is simple. Mitch has an inability to complete easy throws. He literally could take a 5 yard out with a corner sitting 10 yards back and make it a difficult completion. He doesn't have the mechanics of a good division one passer.

He actually has the ability to make just about any throw you can ask a QB to make, he's just very inconsistent.

Nice job Mitch to regroup on the last drive and he played a solid game against TCU. the OL is beat up and that is a big issue ! The offense is built on ball control with a lead and when we play from behind and need to throw the D tees off on us. The young WR are not ready yet. kJ and drew had solid games running good routes!

Wolitarsky had a great day catching balls thrown his way. This tells me that at least one aspect of the offense works. Now, the other receivers, especially Holland, need to catch the ball. Some players focus on the ball and have no problem catching anything thrown their way. Others need that reliable looking ball thrown their way, something they need confidence in catching. If it wobbles, that is a less catchable ball. If it has a higher arc, it is a less catchable ball. If you have to adjust the route to the ball, it is less catchable. To say that Leidner was throwing catchable balls is not a true statement or they would have been caught. The simple matter is the receiver's deserve a better chance at catching the balls. Perra or Croft already have more developed arms than when Leidner first started. They deserve a chance to develop in position from now on by playing in the game. I don't find it walking backward when they have been around long enough to know the playbook. Some players just never get nervous. Leidner is not one of those guys. He gets nervous. Fear is the biggest distraction a QB can have and is the one position where confidence is almost a better quality than ability. Don't rip that comment because I don't intend it to be universal in all situations. Just limited to the mindset of throwing the ball.

Top Bottom