OFFICIAL: Minnesota vs Syracuse in Pinstripe Bowl

Honest question: For obvious reasons I'm not suggesting I'd rather have Norwood back as AD... But, so we think someone like Norwood would be more influential on bowl selection lobbying? That's not a slight at Coyle. We all have things we're stronger at and I think Norwood wouldn't have said nothing last year when PSU jumped everyone.
Very interesting first post. Setting a nice bar for future observations.

As for the AD component that's a good angle too. Although had a huge dislike for AD Coyle when he came on board...considered him a "snake" but eventually came to consider him "our snake"...there is no doubt wining and dining bowl committee members is a factor. Every now and then it's noted that who and who are in town from X bowl for a given game really starting in early October. I think this is an area where having a new stadium and facilities makes Minnesota shine for once.

Although AD Coyle is not as visible as I'd prefer, I'm sure he's doing fine behind the scenes at least on this front. I'd also think that Prez Gabel would also hobknob here as good as anyone too. Concur that Norcould was indeed more visible and verbal, but look out if any of those bowl committee folks were of the fairer gender after he'd had a couple of doubles. Don't have that concern with Mark at all...

And yes, San Antonio was the holy grail for Minnesota in those days. Florida was not even a consideration...

So, you're saying head to head wins vs. Wisconsin, Purdue and Maryland don't matter (all in better bowls last year), but a non-conference loss to Bowling Green does matter? I'm confused. This year, head to head mattered.
Did I say that? There's nothing we can do about our bowl placements other than winning. If we would have won the games we were supposed to the past two years, this would look a lot different, it's that simple. I know the bowl isn't ideal, but the program is headed in the right direction still.

Did I say that? There's nothing we can do about our bowl placements other than winning. If we would have won the games we were supposed to the past two years, this would look a lot different, it's that simple. I know the bowl isn't ideal, but the program is headed in the right direction still.
Really think the only thing we could've done this year was win the division, and thus go to the Citrus bowl. Otherwise, it was likely Pinstripe.

What are you even arguing, anymore? What is the "point" that you've won?

There clearly is no consistent set of rules or objective criteria that you can apply from one year to the next that will ever make any sense for how the lower bowls are selected.

So what? Did you "win" the discussion, then?

Who's talking about winning or losing? Nobody but you.

All I'm doing is pushing back against this thought that the Gophers got the game they deserved. I've called BS and gave my reasons why. Our record shows that we have in fact been awarded less than other Big Ten teams....on multiple occasions now.

If you think the Gophers deserve less....fine. But don't get butthurt over my opinion on it. Just don't respond.

If you're fine traveling to Newark and can do an extended stay, there are some good flight prices.

Go out on Sun Country Tues Dec 27 and come back Sat Dec 31 on United, for $258. No bags on the Sun Country leg, so probably more like $3xx with a bag.

Hertz rental?

Very interesting first post. Setting a nice bar for future observations.

As for the AD component that's a good angle too. Although had a huge dislike for AD Coyle when he came on board...considered him a "snake" but eventually came to consider him "our snake"...there is no doubt wining and dining bowl committee members is a factor. Every now and then it's noted that who and who are in town from X bowl for a given game really starting in early October. I think this is an area where having a new stadium and facilities makes Minnesota shine for once.

Although AD Coyle is not as visible as I'd prefer, I'm sure he's doing fine behind the scenes at least on this front. I'd also think that Prez Gabel would also hobknob here as good as anyone too. Concur that Norcould was indeed more visible and verbal, but look out if any of those bowl committee folks were of the fairer gender after he'd had a couple of doubles. Don't have that concern with Mark at all...

And yes, San Antonio was the holy grail for Minnesota in those days. Florida was not even a consideration...

100% Florida was a dream in those days!!

I agree with your take on Coyle and Gabel doing fine behind the scenes. I'm really not sure what Coyle or the MN gains by coming out and publicly be disappointed for being selected to a bowl game. If anything, I would think that 'gripe' would need to be addressed through the big ten powers that be. I have no idea but I do know last year it was very obvious how much PSU jumped everyone else. If I remember correctly, last year on selection Sunday, didn't someone with the outback leak that MN was going to be selected? I always thought that was interesting. I've speculated that the big ten stepped in and had outback take PSU but the music and Vegas had already locked Purdue and WI. Again just speculation but I can't imagine Coyle lobby for GR bowl over music, Vegas, and outback outside the scenario in which a late inning curve ball was thrown out there.

I remember in 2019 Fleck was vocal and lobbying to get GameDay to come to the twin cities. Heck, the team sent thank you letters to the outback bowl committee. Not sure if that's something they do every year or not but that vocal spark seemed missing this year.

A site (which I didn't have ability to corroborate) lists all 2022-23 bowl payouts. Big Ten bowls include:
Citrus, $8,224,578
Reliaquest, $6,400,000
Music City, $5,700,000
Duke's Mayo, $4,780,461
Pinstripe, $4,400,000
Quick Lane, $2,000,000
Guaranteed Rate, $1,625,000

Other bowls such as Rose and Orange have a "contract" payment not included on the site.

Rank ordering seems about right, except kind of confused by Quick Lane being above Guaranteed Rate. To the extent payout is a rough proxy for the intrinsic value of the bowl: (1) I am surprised that Guaranteed Rate places so low and (2) think we got treated more poorly last year than this year.

For those who hate NYC and/or northern city, outdoor bowls, we'll have the Pinstripe behind us next year. But with the schedule we face in 2023, who knows what bowl we might be looking at.

For those in the know do the conference bowl payouts and media dividend (however calculated) cover cost of unsold bowl tickets travel and lodging etc for participating schools?

Just curious on net.

So, you're saying head to head wins vs. Wisconsin, Purdue and Maryland don't matter (all in better bowls last year), but a non-conference loss to Bowling Green does matter? I'm confused. This year, head to head mattered.
$ matters. The rest is the pretend justification for doing what they want.

100% Florida was a dream in those days!!

I agree with your take on Coyle and Gabel doing fine behind the scenes. I'm really not sure what Coyle or the MN gains by coming out and publicly be disappointed for being selected to a bowl game. If anything, I would think that 'gripe' would need to be addressed through the big ten powers that be. I have no idea but I do know last year it was very obvious how much PSU jumped everyone else. If I remember correctly, last year on selection Sunday, didn't someone with the outback leak that MN was going to be selected? I always thought that was interesting. I've speculated that the big ten stepped in and had outback take PSU but the music and Vegas had already locked Purdue and WI. Again just speculation but I can't imagine Coyle lobby for GR bowl over music, Vegas, and outback outside the scenario in which a late inning curve ball was thrown out there.

I remember in 2019 Fleck was vocal and lobbying to get GameDay to come to the twin cities. Heck, the team sent thank you letters to the outback bowl committee. Not sure if that's something they do every year or not but that vocal spark seemed missing this year.
Agreed.

Zero reason to come out and complain publicly by anyone at the U.

Any B1G gripe, IF there is any, should be handled quietly and professionally behind the scenes. Complaining publicly abou this would just make MN look bad.

In the meantime like PJ did you thank everyone involved and get the kids some fun experiences.

the B1G "consults" with the Bowl Committees, but in the end:

the Bowls CHOOSE the teams they WANT.

if they did not CHOOSE the Gophers, it's because they didn't WANT the Gophers.

Does anyone really think that a group of civic boosters in TN or NC is sitting around saying "The Gophers really deserve this Bowl. they're the better team. But we're not going to take them just to screw with the Gopher Fans." that's BS. If they thought the Gophers were the better team or shall we say the more attractive team, they would have chosen the Gophers. They didn't choose the Gophers.

reality check:
the Gophers are not a helmet school. Not a top-25 ranked team. Lost head-to-head to IA, Purdue and Illinois. Not a high-flying, crowd-pleasing offense.

If you're not the prettiest girl in school, the Captain of the Football team is not going to ask you to be his date for Homecoming, no matter if you have a great personality or not. that's life.

Edit: I'm curious about where Minnesota would have been placed if they had beaten Iowa. Does the Reliaquest still pick Illinois with an 8-4 record and head to head win over a 9-3 Minnesota?
So you're telling me there's a chance.......

They wouldn't have picked us, but if that happens PJ and Coyle should have been publically campaigning for the Gophers to Pasadena. B16 Champion isn't available, the Gophers are "clustered" with PSU and Minnesota hasn't been to Pasadena since JFK was in office.

Agreed.

Any B1G gripe, IF there is any, should be handled quietly and professionally behind the scenes. Complaining publicly abou this would just make MN look bad.

In the meantime like PJ did you thank everyone involved and get the kids some fun experiences.
I get a kick out of the posters that think the U should be throwing a fit and complaining because they are convinced that the Big bad Big Ten is out there tying to screw us over again. It is laughable.

I am actually a little shocked at just how bent out of shape some are getting over this. We earned a mid-tier bowl and we got a mid-tier bowl. There is no conspiracy and the conference is not looking to screw us at every opportunity.

I remember back in the sun bowl days being 'picked' over I believe Michigan state for the Alamo bowl? I think Coach Mason said it back then and continues to say that placement 'should' be based on W-L.
I don't remember that quote, but I remember a couple years (maybe in a row) we thought the Alamo Bowl was a shoe in and the Gophs got jumped. I remember one of those Sun Bowl years, the Gophs were tied with 3 or 4 other teams at 9-3 and got the bottom bowl. Might have been the Joey Harrington year.

I get a kick out of the posters that think the U should be throwing a fit and complaining because they are convinced that the Big bad Big Ten is out there tying to screw us over again. It is laughable.

I am actually a little shocked at just how bent out of shape some are getting over this. We earned a mid-tier bowl and we got a mid-tier bowl. There is no conspiracy and the conference is not looking to screw us at every opportunity.
Maybe they'd feel more at home with the Nebraska Parents protesting outside B1G HQ.... 😲

Coyle should handle this in private, sure.

However, in private he should be screaming bloody murder. The Gophers didn't get "a mid-tier bowl." Of the bowls for which we were eligible, we inarguably got the 2nd from the bottom. Thats not mid-tier.
The Gophers got shoved down, AGAIN, in favor of other B1G teams, with zero reason for that to happen. Zero reason, other than it's Minnesota.

Agreed.

I think I slightly disagree. I think you can be the squeaky wheel at some point. If we swapped bowls with Illinois this year, I could see Bret Bielema saying something. Would that fan base be against him saying something or would they rally behind that sentiment?

I'm not complaining about being selected to the pinstripe bowl. You can put me in the camp that is looking forward to going as I've never been to NYC and what better reason to go then to watch some Gopher football!

I am in the camp that understands the bowl selection process is what it is but questions if that's the most 'equitable' and beneficial process for college football.

I'm not sure your last question but if you're asking whether or not I wrote the football team thank you notes, the answer is no. I have decorated an oar that says thank you and it's proudly displayed in the tunnel. Does that count?

Agree 100% with that. We just need to perform better on the field. I'm excited as to what our QB will do in New York!

Couldn’t agree more. Iowa and Minnesota were both 5-4 in conference and they won head to head. They deserved a better bowl than us.

Couldn’t agree more. Iowa and Minnesota were both 5-4 in conference and they won head to head. They deserved a better bowl than us.
I don't necessarliy disagree. I think they hate the location....if this bowl was picked up and dropped in Florida or California there would be more excitement.

If we're going to go off records to determine who gets a better bowl, then it has to be consistent. There's been a lot of years the gophers didn't get the bowl they "deserved" (like last year). They've been jumped a whole hell of a lot more than they've done the jumping.

I don't necessarliy disagree. I think they hate the location....if this bowl was picked up and dropped in Florida or California there would be more excitement.

If we're going to go off records to determine who gets a better bowl, then it has to be consistent. There's been a lot of years the gophers didn't get the bowl they "deserved" (like last year). They've been jumped a whole hell of a lot more than they've done the jumping.
Correct. I think it's more that it's in a fairly cold location, and that it's in a baseball stadium. The level of bowl isn't really that much different than Music City, or Duke's Mayo.

I seem to remember that we discussed last year that the payout for Detroit was better than Phoenix then too.

There is a chance they will get Hoskins on the field. I would love to see this.

Convenient. They do a great job there. It's pretty much turn key.
I've used Creative charters for Gophers football travel, they do a nice job with transportation and hotel stays. They do a nice job making sure the Gophers fans are on schedule and on time for events. Your not paying for cheap your paying for convenience. It's New York city between the Holiday break so nothing you do will come cheap, unless you got a pad with family or friends to crash at.

Not going to lie, after freezing my tits off at the Iowa game this year, not interested in sitting in the cold at Yankee stadium to watch another football game even if it will not be that harsh. Maybe next year we luck out get picked some where warm and I will be able to go. The horrors of watching a couple Twins games choked away with the lead a couple years ago, make me never want to go back to Yankee stadium. The fireworks around the 4th are fantastic though, once in a lifetime thing everyone should do or experience.

Top Bottom