***OFFICIAL MINNESOTA VS SOUTH DAKOTA IN-GAME THREAD***

So last year is not Pitino's fault because he had all of those underperforming Tubby players, but this year is not his fault because now he doesn't have those same players?

Where did I say Pitino had no fault in last year results?

Would not call it a prayer but it was a tough shot.

What do you expect with this guys non conference scheduling. I would guess less than 5000 there and 10-15% of those South Dakota fans. And then the university raising ticket prices and demanding gifts. In 3 years Pitino has scheduled zero marquee home non conference games and I would expect much the same next year. The program is at the lowest since 2006-2007 and they jacked up prices, of course no one was there.

Two questions for those who were at the Barn:

1. Was the 3 made by South Dakota to take the lead with like 1:10 left in the 2nd OT a prayer? Radio guys said so, but they don't exactly inspire confidence.

2. Was the crowd pretty quiet for South Dakota free throws in then 2nd OT? Certainly didn't sound on the radio like the environment for those free throws was very intimidating, but am not used to just listening to the game so don't know how well it picks up crowd noise.

And this is when the overreactions make games threads unbearable to read.

We had a lot of bad turnovers and shots just weren't dropping today for players who usually make those shots. The refs were as bad as I've ever seen them. The fouls on Buggs and Murphy in OT when they did absolutely nothing were just comical.

I can handle most of that stuff. It happens. We all know we're just not very good this year. What I don't like is the lack of in-game adjustments from Pitino today. His first year I really thought he was great with changing up our defense at the right times. It's finally his guys in his system--why are we not seeing more aggressive defense? We pressed for about 2 seconds and got a turnover and then decided we'd rather sit back, put zero pressure on the ball, and let SD run their offense til they either got an open look or drove the lane out of control to either make an impressive layup or get completely bailed out by the refs when they missed. The whistles were often late too--almost looked like they waited to see if the player's shot had a chance of going in and if it didn't then they decided it must've been a foul.

The beauty of this is knowing we have very young talent and even more young talent coming in, along with veteran transfers who I can't wait to see. Let's keep that in perspective when we bring up this nonsense about firing Pitino. This year will have some very big ups and downs. More downs than are usually reasonable, but knowing the immediate future is promising, they're bearable. If you guys haven't noticed, teams much better than us get upset by teams worse than SD. Have some perspective and patience.

We beat Clemson, found a superstar, things are turning yay!!!!

We lose to SD, fire Pitino, how much is his buyout?

Can everyone just take a deep breath and let this play out? We lost a non-con home game finally. It was bound to happen. It happens to everyone

But according to this thread the sky is falling....maybe even fallen.

My god people.

They didn't show up to play. Played like a bunch of 18 and 19 year olds.

Next game Tuesday.

All my years on GH, Pitino has been given the shortest leash.

My god people.

Next game Tuesday.

They will be below .500 this year and even with another year of experience for Murphy, Dorsey...etc, and more talent coming in....There is no guarantee that they will improve dramatically....Bottom line is Pitino will be fired at the end of next year unless we are a legitimate tournament contender.

If only Coach Pitino knew as much as our GH experts, all would be good.

Because he has accomplished nothing. I am not saying fire him now but we hired a name that might develop into a coach. Key word might. Thought it was a bad hire when it was made hope he succeeds but it is looking more and more like he is in when overhead his head. As a previous poster said why we did not have ball pressure or press is beyond me. Omaha and to a lesser extent Clemson had quick athletic guards did not see that today. Thought that was suppose to be his style if that is the way you want to play this season is/was going to be a bad one, play your style but it looks like to me he has abandoned this and is confused.

My god people.

Next game Tuesday.

But according to this thread the sky is falling....maybe even fallen. My god people. They didn't show up to play. Played like a bunch of 18 and 19 year olds. Next game Tuesday. All my years on GH, Pitino has been given the shortest leash.

The 19s get it...

No one was expecting a whole lot this year.

We are going to lose some games we should win, and win some games we should lose.

I'm just looking for improvement as the year progresses.

Fans should expect really good defense by year 3. This is as bad as defense gets.

So 8 games in has the team improved?
No one was expecting a whole lot this year.

We are going to lose some games we should win, and win some games we should lose.

I'm just looking for improvement as the year progresses.

My god people.

Next game Tuesday.

Agreed, seems like some of these posters only show up on GH after a loss. The team didn't play well at all and that often happens with a young team coming off a nice win. I just hope to continue to see signs of improvement and progression from the Freshman throughout the year. I never like to give up hope of an NCAA tournament berth until the field gets announced and we aren't in it but it is important to also look big picture especially this year with the talented transfers and incoming recruits for next season.

Agreed, seems like some of these posters only show up on GH after a loss. The team didn't play well at all and that often happens with a young team coming off a nice win. I just hope to continue to see signs of improvement and progression from the Freshman throughout the year. I never like to give up hope of an NCAA tournament berth until the field gets announced and we aren't in it but it is important to also look big picture especially this year with the talented transfers and incoming recruits for next season.

Summation of half of GH posters:

Before a loss: We are a young team, don't expect much this year, it's a growth year, look for improvements and enjoy the season for what it is, we'll be improved next year.

After a loss: OMG FIRE PITINO.

We had a lot of bad turnovers and shots just weren't dropping today for players who usually make those shots. The refs were as bad as I've ever seen them. The fouls on Buggs and Murphy in OT when they did absolutely nothing were just comical.

What I don't like is the lack of in-game adjustments from Pitino today. His first year I really thought he was great with changing up our defense at the right times. It's finally his guys in his system--why are we not seeing more aggressive defense? We pressed for about 2 seconds and got a turnover and then decided we'd rather sit back, put zero pressure on the ball, and let SD run their offense til they either got an open look or drove the lane out of control to either make an impressive layup or get completely bailed out by the refs when they missed. The whistles were often late too--almost looked like they waited to see if the player's shot had a chance of going in and if it didn't then they decided it must've been a foul.

The beauty of this is knowing we have very young talent and even more young talent coming in, along with veteran transfers who I can't wait to see. Let's keep that in perspective when we bring up this nonsense about firing Pitino. This year will have some very big ups and downs. More downs than are usually reasonable, but knowing the immediate future is promising, they're bearable. If you guys haven't noticed, teams much better than us get upset by teams worse than SD. Have some perspective and patience.

Agree on these major points. This was, without a doubt, the worst officiating I have ever seen at this level. I of course don't think it caused us to lose, but it didn't help a young team developing and find itself. Both teams were hurt by it at different times, but it made the game unwatchable at times. I've never seen officials look lost before - wow.

And, this was not Pitino's finest work. But aside from Murphy, everyone looked out of sync. Double overtime loss on a terrible game - not the way to get your fan base excited.

That is the exact problem there and will result in Crean being fired.

Good idea, get rid of Pitino and risk Coffey decommitting and Murphy transfering. Pitino will have at least next year to prove himself. This was always going to be a down year given what we lost.

+1. Yes this is disappointing. But anyone that didn't know there would be days like today this season is delusional. The fact that everyone agreed it was coming and folks are still on the ledge is frustrating.

Can't believe all the people calling for Pitino head. Seriously people.....watch basketball. We have so much inexperience on the court.

Dorsey play pretty well, but made freshman mistakes down the stretch.
Morris should be embarrassed
Mason tried...maybe to hard.
Kanote...well...not impressed at all
Murphy is a stud...needed him not to foul out.
King...shot didn't fall
Refs...crap

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

They will be below .500 this year and even with another year of experience for Murphy, Dorsey...etc, and more talent coming in....There is no guarantee that they will improve dramatically....Bottom line is Pitino will be fired at the end of next year unless we are a legitimate tournament contender.

What is your basis for believing the 2016-17 team will not be an NCAA team?

+1. Yes this is disappointing. But anyone that didn't know there would be days like today this season is delusional. The fact that everyone agreed it was coming and folks are still on the ledge is frustrating.
Lets let them jump!

Top Bottom