***OFFICIAL MINNESOTA VS GOPHERS SPRING GAME IN-GAME THREAD!!!***

Timmy Trumpet should be outlawed by every team that is not the Mets.

On the really bad pick thrown by Kaliakmanis, Darius Taylor had a beautiful pickup of Jah Joyner on the edge.

Last edited:

He will start a game if Kaliakmanis is injured. I’d be shocked if he ever starts over a healthy Athan.

He'll certainly start if Kaliakmanis gets hurt.

I think he might play in quite a few games, as a role player/hybrid Wildcat/change of pace. He is a pretty solid veteran presence.

I could maybe see him starting the odd game in that role, just to throw a wrinkle at a particular opponent, but in that situation I'd see Kaliakmanis back on the field almost immediately.

I recall they used to leave Morgan in the game when Seth Green was Wildcat, and line Tanner up waaaaaay wide to draw one defender out of the play. It worked reasonably well, especially considering Morgan was not much of a threat as a pass catcher and Green was not really a passer.

Imagine the same formation with Kramer under center and Athan out wide. The threat of a throw would be serious in that situation.

He'll certainly start if Kaliakmanis gets hurt.

I think he might play in quite a few games, as a role player/hybrid Wildcat/change of pace. He is a pretty solid veteran presence.

I could maybe see him starting the odd game in that role, just to throw a wrinkle at a particular opponent, but in that situation I'd see Kaliakmanis back on the field almost immediately.

I recall they used to leave Morgan in the game when Seth Green was Wildcat, and line Tanner up waaaaaay wide to draw one defender out of the play. It worked reasonably well, especially considering Morgan was not much of a threat as a pass catcher and Green was not really a passer.

Imagine the same formation with Kramer under center and Athan out wide. The threat of a throw would be serious in that situation.
He is not an effective hybrid/wildcat. He’s just big. At no point has he shown to be any type of dynamic runner. He is just big and plays QB.

He is not an effective hybrid/wildcat. He’s just big. At no point has he shown to be any type of dynamic runner. He is just big and plays QB.
He’s not big. He is the shortest QB by far: 6’1” versus 6’4” for Athan and Viotto. He is 5 pounds lighter than Athan and 25 pounds lighter than Viotto. He’s shorter and ten pounds lighter than Tanner Morgan. He’s many things, but “big” isn’t one of them.

Last edited:

One thing I noticed today is that Athan’s brother, Dino, had several nice catches. He’s big and seems to have some chemistry with Athan. Might see some playing time this year?

One thing I noticed today is that Athan’s brother, Dino, had several nice catches. He’s big and seems to have some chemistry with Athan. Might see some playing time this year?
I would love to see him get playing time along with Jordan Nubin and Baranowski and a few others that were off the radar last year. This game was fun to see some of the new blood. Hard to tell in a spring game, but it looked like the talent is impressive across the board.

I disagree.

You know, there are as I recall a few Gopher Holers who think Cole Kramer can't throw, either. I wonder if they're re-thinking that.

Kristen Hoskins has four years of eligibility left. We will hear from this young man soon in the next two seasons. It is great for him to take his time and develop as Le' Meke Brockington has done.

The game was somewhat entertaining; this might have been discussed earlier but this is the first time in a while that I have seen PJ close up in bright lights and he looks like he has had "some work done" on his face.

Vereen has a future as an announcer.
Hope this is more a testament to the offensive skill players....because the defenses are getting carved up. That move by Zach Evans!
The move by Evans was impressive. Was that Coleman Bryson who he made look slow? In Bryson's defense tackling a very good athlete in the open field is a tall order.

I disagree.

You know, there are as I recall a few Gopher Holers who think Cole Kramer can't throw, either. I wonder if they're re-thinking that.
He looked good today. There is no evidence to show he can throw successfully in a big ten game. But he did look good in practice today that’s for sure.

He looked good today. There is no evidence to show he can throw successfully in a big ten game. But he did look good in practice today that’s for sure.
He hasn’t played more than a few plays in any game so there’s little evidence of anything, positive or negative.

The tone of PJ's press conference wasn't as sunshine and rainbows as usual, and I won't say it's concerning but definitely noteworthy. I think all the key portal departures and graduates have left us in a bit of a bind on defense.

The tone of PJ's press conference wasn't as sunshine and rainbows as usual, and I won't say it's concerning but definitely noteworthy. I think all the key portal departures and graduates have left us in a bit of a bind on defense.
Based on what I have read here, if we need help on defense, Cole Kramer should be able to step in.

Top Bottom