***OFFICIAL MINNESOTA AT wisconsin IN-GAME THREAD!!!***

Pitino claims a moral victory in his presser. Also talks about how young we are.

Not that his agenda is obvious or anything.
The Gophers might be young considering their class year but Carr, Willis, Oturu, and Gabe have played plenty of minutes of basketball at the D1 level. Those are their main guys. They have played enough and should not be considered young basketball wise at this point.

Last edited:

They have a bench and can shoot. Our bench may be the worst in the country. How do we have a better roster?
Gard would do incredibly well with the 5 guys that play minutes. Oturu and Carr are tremendous players and there are 4 other fine complementary pieces.

Gard would do incredibly well with the 5 guys that play minutes. Oturu and Carr are tremendous players and there are 4 other fine complementary pieces.
“I like our roster a ton more than their s”

4 other fine complimentary pieces? Have another drink, clown!

You weren't here after the game in Minnesota. You had no trouble getting here tonight.

I call BS on this. We know your agenda (I agree with it BTW). Oturu > Reuvers; the 3 other WI starters + Bench > MN. Davison & Carr are about a draw.

Tough loss. You guys are good. My Badgers just did enough to eke out a W.

Go beat Indiana!

Ah, we suck!

We are 12th in the big 10 and have an overall losing record. Thanks for trying!

Willis, if not hitting threes does not really contribute (not that good at anything else)
Kalshaur, i would say is having a terrible shooting year but compared to
Demir, they guy is is 0-last two months shooting 3’s (Purdue game forever ago was last make) 2 more misses tonight (pitino still lets him take them???)
ihnen has turned into a bright spot and Williams is getting better.
Hurt, after playing more in previous years has been completely marginalized.
we needed one more player (after Carr and Oturu) to step up this year and with the exception of an occasional game no one has.

So much to say about this game. The thing that makes me most angry is that Gard got a wide open dunk out of a timeout to tie the game. Pitino hasn't done anything even remotely close to that the entire season in a final minute possession (maybe any possession period). At some point it's ok to out scheme someone in the final minutes and not hope that Carr or Oturu makes a fantastic individual play.

The dribble the clock down possession that ended with an Ihnen 3 was less than ideal and contributed to yet another let game meltdown. If he hits it, the games over. Unfortunately, a freshman who shoots 33% from 3 (not bad) is not going to hit that very often on the road against a rival. As an aside, Isaiah is really coming on and I was encouraged by his rebounding in this game. I wish we would see something in his offensive game beyond the 3 point shot.

Little things matter: Why was Michael Hurt in the game? Yes it was the first half, but he gave up a 3 point play and had at least one other really poor mistake in his minutes. If you go back to his first half appearance in another game that would be close (@PSU) you would see him foul a 3 point shooter and several other mistakes. The bizarre decision to include him in the rotation at random times on the road (I know Gabe had foul trouble, but that's not unique) has made a difference.

I cannot say enough bad things about Alihan Demir in this game. The sequence where he got bullied all the way underneath the basket for a layup by a Freshman in Wahl and then followed that up with bricking a wide open 3 should have been the last we saw of him. He's soft, he's not skilled and he takes away energy from the team while Omersa (and to a lesser extent Ihnen) bring energy. He then proceeds to miss all 3 of his free throw attempts in crunch time...and none of them were close.

Finally, I hate the choking. I don't understand why it happens so frequently with this program going back to at least Tubby. EVERYONE chokes. Andre Hollins was a great free throw shooter for most of his career, but he missed a lot of big ones in his career. Jordan Murphy was a great player for the Gophers but missed a chance to end a game in Madison as a Junior at the line and then air balled the first of 3 free throws against Rutgers as a Senior (would have needed all 3 to win). Elliott Eliason missed huge free throws that lead to a meltdown loss to Iowa in Pitino's first or second year so it's not just good shooters/players. Carlos Morris was at the line with no time remaining to win a game at MSU and missed (we would in OT). These are just the ones off the top of my head while I am distracted by yet another terrible loss. This year Daniel's been at the line in 3 different games and failed to knock them down. Carr's missed in at least 2 games, and Gabe in the Maryland game. I remember Westbrook going to the line and knocking down some free throws to win a game against Iowa (that we had almost choked away). He's literally the only one I can remember at this point. Why is this so difficult here? I can't remember the last time I expected a Gopher to execute in these situations, I've just expected the misses for so long now. On the other hand, the opposition makes these free throws with regularity.

Not that it would have made much of a difference but did anyone else notice the clock started a good 0.5 seconds before Oturu got the ball on that missed free throw?

4 other fine complimentary pieces? Have another drink, clown!

You weren't here after the game in Minnesota. You had no trouble getting here tonight.
Actually i was on here after i went to the game. Quit lying. Our team is poorly coached theirs is not. Get called names for knowing that Gard is so far superior as a coach . The name calling of troll or clown does not bother me at all. Just board bullies, no big deal.

Actually i was on here after i went to the game. Quit lying. Our team is poorly coached theirs is not. Get called names for knowing that Gard is so far superior as a coach . The name calling of troll or clown does not bother me at all. Just board bullies, no big deal.

I am not sure how anyone could disagree with this. The Gophers should not have a worse record than the Badgers in conference play. They have the 2 best players and that overrides the Badgers better depth (which isn't that great). Some of the Badgers depth looks better because they are put in a better position to accentuate their strengths and limit their weaknesses. I personally think some of the guys that play for them would look like Michael Hurt if your dropped them on the Gopher roster.

I'm a bully. Well, I guess I do feel kind of badass now! LOL

You were no where to be found after the game in Minnesota.

You thought Gaard coached well tonight? How so?

Lil' Ricky shouting "jump ball" jump ball" "jump ball" as they are walking to the other end for FT.
Like the officials are going to get together and overrule the foul call. Just sums up what a goober he is. Can't wait to have some optimism with the new coach chosen by Coyle. I have 100% faith that Coyle will find a Fleck like hire.

I have 100% faith that Coyle will find a Fleck like hire.

Well, if he does that, he should go into the MN Sports Hall of Fame.

But, right now, I'll just settle for a "good" Big Ten level coach.

Lil' Ricky shouting "jump ball" jump ball" "jump ball" as they are walking to the other end for FT.
Like the officials are going to get together and overrule the foul call. Just sums up what a goober he is. Can't wait to have some optimism with the new coach chosen by Coyle. I have 100% faith that Coyle will find a Fleck like hire.

Didn't have a problem with that at all, because it was, well, a jump ball.

I'm a bully. Well, I guess I do feel kind of badass now! LOL

You were no where to be found after the game in Minnesota.

You thought Gaard coached well tonight? How so?
Go ahead and feel like a bad ass. I actually go to Gopher games, cheer for them to win and post win or lose.

Gard sucks.

I am not sure how anyone could disagree with this. The Gophers should not have a worse record than the Badgers in conference play. They have the 2 best players and that overrides the Badgers better depth (which isn't that great). Some of the Badgers depth looks better because they are put in a better position to accentuate their strengths and limit their weaknesses. I personally think some of the guys that play for them would look like Michael Hurt if your dropped them on the Gopher roster.
Most people will stick to a belief no matter the evidence. They believe what they want, not what is. Pitino will never finish ahead of Gard in the conference.

Top Bottom