***OFFICIAL MINNESOTA AT wisconsin IN-GAME THREAD!!!***

Would it be...Pitino's fault?

They offered them didn't they? For the record I liked Omersa still and think he has a place and same with Hurt. Not every roster/scholarship will get PT. Somebody has to be guy 10-14

Somebody has to be guy 10-14

Hurt isnt 10-14, nor is Omersa.

But that's completely irrelevant to the topic, which is you whining about people not giving enough credit to the local recruits who stayed...
And then calling them the guys who shouldn't get playing time.

This is too easy, it's like arguing with a 4 year old.

His shooting hasn't been absymal. It's just been very average. It still at 33%. Of course if he was shooting 41% like last year it's a different season probably with how close so many of the losses have been. My point a lot of MN fans whine about not getting guys, but then are harsh and call them wastes when they come. It's now happening to Jarvis and has with Hurt for awhile. Not their fault they were offered and took scholarships.
I am with you on JO, not on Hurt. I really hope JO works on his offense, as he would be great if he could score 6-8 a game.

Perhaps abysmal is harsh. I am sure the kid is more than frustrated, as he has such a great shot.

Hurt isnt 10-14, nor is Omersa.

But that's completely irrelevant to the topic, which is you whining about people not giving enough credit to the local recruits who stayed...
And then calling them the guys who shouldn't get playing time.

This is too easy, it's like arguing with a 4 year old.

I'm telling you that one of the reasons many of the kids go play elsewhere because they don't want the added pressure of playing to this fan base in their hometown. You can choose to believe me or not. Jarvis isn't 10-14 and he should not be. He brings valuable contributions for short spurts. Hurt should be, but may not be this year which yes you can certainly rip the staff on as you've proven inclined to do. You obviously did miss my main point.

I think that even if a guy is not getting playing time, they are still valuable and can be worth the scholarship. Michael and Jarvis are great ambassadors for the university and are great teammates.

They offered them didn't they? For the record I liked Omersa still and think he has a place and same with Hurt. Not every roster/scholarship will get PT. Somebody has to be guy 10-14
Omersa needs to improve just to become as good as Miles Tarver. No offensive game at all besides an occasionally alley-oop dunk.

I officiated some of Jarvis's games when he was in HS. I have never seen a kid make some of the freakish athletic plays that he made so I can see why he received several offers. Unfortunately it seems that he has yet to develop at the B10 level..

Omersa needs to improve just to become as good as Miles Tarver. No offensive game at all besides an occasionally alley-oop dunk.

If it's the Miles Tarver I remember he's already better offensively than him.

You are correct. Tarver was a tenacious rebounder and hustler but his high water mark for scoring was 5 points per game as a senior. He was a terrible offensive player.

I laugh at the comparison's, Tarver could never in a million years receive a lob pass, control it, and then dunk it all in one sequence until maybe his senior year and even that is doubt full.

I'm telling you that one of the reasons many of the kids go play elsewhere because they don't want the added pressure of playing to this fan base in their hometown. You can choose to believe me or not. Jarvis isn't 10-14 and he should not be. He brings valuable contributions for short spurts. Hurt should be, but may not be this year which yes you can certainly rip the staff on as you've proven inclined to do. You obviously did miss my main point.

I think that even if a guy is not getting playing time, they are still valuable and can be worth the scholarship. Michael and Jarvis are great ambassadors for the university and are great teammates.

Have always thought this and dont think the home town pressure angle gets enuf consideration. For example, the pressure on Matthew Hurt would have been much greater coming here rather than Duke. Not saying that was the primary reason he went to Duke, but think it is a primary concern for many. Especially in a state that has only one d1 program.

Have always thought this and dont think the home town pressure angle gets enuf consideration. For example, the pressure on Matthew Hurt would have been much greater coming here rather than Duke. Not saying that was the primary reason he went to Duke, but think it is a primary concern for many. Especially in a state that has only one d1 program.
Don't buy it.

Many of These kids have grown up playing with "pressure".

Re: Omersa. Gophers saw raw athletic ability and apparently thought they could find a role for him in their system.

But that is still my biggest issue with Pitino. A good coach, in my book, evaluates players based on whether they fit the coach's system. Pitino seems to evaluate players based on athletic ability, and then just hopes/assumes he can find a role for them. if it works out, it's great. if it doesn't work out, you've used a scholarship on a guy who has no apparent or obvious role on the team. IMHO< being an "energy guy" is not a defined role. A deeper team can afford to spend a scholarship on a guy like Omersa and hope they can mold him into something.

My gut tells me that Omersa would be best suited in a real up-tempo, press and run type of team. get out into space and use your athleticism. with the Gophers, he looks like a square peg in a round hole. or maybe a Gopher Hole......

Well, I guess it's possible that 16 and 17 year old kids worry about "pressure."

Or we could go with the simple rationale...they are unimpressed with Richard Pitino and the Gopher basketball program.

Last edited:

Re: Omersa. Gophers saw raw athletic ability and apparently thought they could find a role for him in their system.

But that is still my biggest issue with Pitino. A good coach, in my book, evaluates players based on whether they fit the coach's system. Pitino seems to evaluate players based on athletic ability, and then just hopes/assumes he can find a role for them. if it works out, it's great. if it doesn't work out, you've used a scholarship on a guy who has no apparent or obvious role on the team. IMHO< being an "energy guy" is not a defined role. A deeper team can afford to spend a scholarship on a guy like Omersa and hope they can mold him into something.

My gut tells me that Omersa would be best suited in a real up-tempo, press and run type of team. get out into space and use your athleticism. with the Gophers, he looks like a square peg in a round hole. or maybe a Gopher Hole......

In the past we have played up tempo. I think he's fine, he just needs to limit his defensive mistakes and he'll be a 10-15 minute energy guy. That fits what we do now depending on who he's playing with.

Well, I guess it's possible that 16 and 17 year old kids worry about "pressure."

Or we could go with the simple rationale...they are I impressed with Richard Pitino and the Gopher basketball program.
Or we could go with the fact that hometown kids often leave home, probably at close to the rate that kids do here in Minnesota. While we are producing some excellent basketball players here in Minnesota these days, the numbers are nowhere near what other cities and states produce and the hometown prospects become more visible when we miss on them. I think they have your level of loyalty to Gopher basketball....Not much.

Don't buy it.

Many of These kids have grown up playing with "pressure".

I wonder if Gabe would find it easier to pull out of his slump if didnt have the added pressure of home state? I imagine that he is putting so much pressure on himself, maybe out of state he would be able to relax more and find his rhythm. I get that most local kids do great at the u once they arrive, just cant imagine there isnt added pressure.

I laugh at the comparison's, Tarver could never in a million years receive a lob pass, control it, and then dunk it all in one sequence until maybe his senior year and even that is doubt full.
He still was the classic glue guy that was valuable beyond the stats. I'd love for Omersa to become that guy. He's close I feel.

He still was the classic glue guy that was valuable beyond the stats. I'd love for Omersa to become that guy. He's close I feel.
Yep, he was in the regular rotation on a Final Four team. Good enough for me.

I wonder if Gabe would find it easier to pull out of his slump if didnt have the added pressure of home state? I imagine that he is putting so much pressure on himself, maybe out of state he would be able to relax more and find his rhythm. I get that most local kids do great at the u once they arrive, just cant imagine there isnt added pressure.
Is it really a slump if its been all year? He is just not that good of a player. He cannot create his own shot, he has a slow release, and he cannot finish at rim. Everyone claims he is such a great defender but I just don't see it.

So worst case scenario, he leaves and gets drafted second round.....Plays in the D-league and does not make an NBA roster....Ends up over in Europe playing for hundreds of thousands of dollars...I am thinking he will still like his decision.
I didn’t say he wouldn’t. I just said he won’t end up in the NBA for very long if at all.

I disagree. I've seen enough this year to believe that he can become a 4 who has decent enough outside shooting at the next level. I also think the idea that the NBA is getting away from playing centers is vastly overplayed. The centers may be a bit different than they were forty years ago but centers are still playing. Yes, Daniel would have a tough time defending Joel Embid but so do the overwhelming majority of big men currently in the NBA.
You can’t play 4 in the NBA if you can’t dribble

Is it really a slump if its been all year? He is just not that good of a player. He cannot create his own shot, he has a slow release, and he cannot finish at rim. Everyone claims he is such a great defender but I just don't see it.
So I guess this year or last year could be a fluke then. Time will tell. Many many players go through sophomore slumps. He is a very good defender - not sure what you've been watching.

I didn’t say he wouldn’t. I just said he won’t end up in the NBA for very long if at all.
So he's peaked? He can't get better at dribbling or defending or whatever else you think he sucks at? He's 20. The NBA draft is almost all about potential. I feel like Oturu must have peed in your cornflakes at some point.

So he's peaked? He can't get better at dribbling or defending or whatever else you think he sucks at? He's 20. The NBA draft is almost all about potential. I feel like Oturu must have peed in your cornflakes at some point.
I don’t think he has peaked. He just doesn’t have the right skill set for the NBA. He is a really good basketball player. I think he will eventually make a lot of money playing pro ball.

it’s funny you accuse me of having some personal vandetta against the guy. It would be like me asking if he is your cousin or something. Just stupid. Agree to disagree. Maybe I’m wrong and you’re right. Maybe I’m right and you’re wrong.

Andrew Wiggins can’t dribble and he’s a three.

Plenty of 4’s that are not great ball handlers in the NBA. More than you think.

I don’t think he has peaked. He just doesn’t have the right skill set for the NBA. He is a really good basketball player. I think he will eventually make a lot of money playing pro ball.

it’s funny you accuse me of having some personal vandetta against the guy. It would be like me asking if he is your cousin or something. Just stupid. Agree to disagree. Maybe I’m wrong and you’re right. Maybe I’m right and you’re wrong.
Yeah, pretty much the same? It's not like I'm defending someone who hasn't excelled this year and isn't consistently high on draft boards.

Respect your opinion but disagree in every way. The glare at Duke is tenfold, the media much more glaring,way bigger games and rivalries, way larger TV audiences. I can not think of a single player that stayed home at any school where that was even a micro factor.

So I guess this year or last year could be a fluke then. Time will tell. Many many players go through sophomore slumps. He is a very good defender - not sure what you've been watching.
I've seen him get beat multiple times this year. There is a reason why he did not have any major offers and it's showing.

Top Bottom