***OFFICIAL MINNESOTA AT PENN STATE IN-GAME THREAD!!!!***

Calm down before you post next time.

He's right though. Look at the schedule, combined with poor movement on offense, where do the wins come from?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Are these guys just flat out exhausted? They just don't seem like the same team the last 2.5 games. They look lost and tired.

2nd halfs have been tough. Maybe conditioning coach isn't doing the job. Horrible way to lose a game. So sad.

He's right though. Look at the schedule, combined with poor movement on offense, where do the wins come from?

Looking at the next 10 games there's not a single unwinnable game.

Disappointing.

Things are rarely as good as they are when at their best.

Things are rarely as bad as they are when at their worst.

Hopefully this is the worst. Team has not found an answer for physical play against our guards. Posts can't get the ball deep enough and our weave is getting manhandled by aggressive on ball defenses.

Wisconsin. Maybe we will play better and beat Wisconsin, just as we beat Purdue.

As a transplant to Minnesota who only supports the gophers, this fanbase is absolutely terrible. I'll be very happy to see "the sky is falling" fans leave but I doubt they will because they relish in negativity.

Why Did Patino use his last TO before the Penn State guy shot his Free Throws? We could have used that TO after he made them or missed. Very bad call by Patino in my opinion. Would have been nice to have a TO instead of mason throwing that last shot up from near half court from his hip. Junk!

As a transplant to Minnesota who only supports the gophers, this fanbase is absolutely terrible. I'll be very happy to see "the sky is falling" fans leave but I doubt they will because they relish in negativity.

As a transplant you might not have been witness to all the collapses and let downs this program has had...when is a double digit lead ever safe with this team? I mean whenever we get up big you can't tell me in the back of your mind you are not like how are they going to blow this

Why Did Patino use his last TO before the Penn State guy shot his Free Throws? We could have used that TO after he made them or missed. Very bad call by Patino in my opinion. Would have been nice to have a TO instead of mason throwing that last shot up from near half court from his hip. Junk!

You really wanted to set up a play out of a timeout? I mean our high potent well oiled machine of a halfcourt offense was downright unstoppable today. We had a better chance of scoring in the scramble situation however Nate tried his best acting and the refs did not bite for it (it was not even close to a foul from the backside camera angle)

As a transplant you might not have been witness to all the collapses and let downs this program has had...when is a double digit lead ever safe with this team? I mean whenever we get up big you can't tell me in the back of your mind you are not like how are they going to blow this

Maybe as a transplant I also don't attribute independent events to one another. The Vikings have nothing to do with the gophers. "Minnesota sports" isn't a thing. It's just a construction so that people like you can wallow in negativity.

Ahhhh, the torture of being a Minnesota sports fan. Pin even the smallest of expectations and show a glimmer of hope and positivity, and then *thud* -- back to our frigid reality. This is not a good team. There's no way they make the NCAA TOURNAMENT. On the surface, this utter collapse looks unexpected, but it shouldn't be. It's Minnesota. It's the land where your state's best high school players don't even consider your state's Division I university. The land of 50-point games against Penn State and embarrassing losses to below-average Michigan State.

Log out

Maybe as a transplant I also don't attribute independent events to one another. The Vikings have nothing to do with the gophers. "Minnesota sports" isn't a thing. It's just a construction so that people like you can wallow in negativity.

I give you that VIkings and Gophers are independent but what evidence have the Gophers ever given you in the last 25 years to give you any sort of semblance of confidence that when they get a little bit of prosperity they won't find a way to wet themselves?

As someone who has lived all over the country, I can tell you our fan base is very tame compared to many other fan bases.

You really wanted to set up a play out of a timeout? I mean our high potent well oiled machine of a halfcourt offense was downright unstoppable today. We had a better chance of scoring in the scramble situation however Nate tried his best acting and the refs did not bite for it (it was not even close to a foul from the backside camera angle)

I guess I would agree. I didn't see who it was (Curry?) that missed the put back. It would have been good by the time clock if he had put it in the hoop. I don't know if he was fouled but I wouldn't expect them to call a touch foul in that situation anyway.

So I recorded it and didn't know the score but someone texted me saying they blew it. It sounds like it isn't worth watching? Were we in control most of the game until the end?

It was a terrible 2nd half today and a really bad loss but bottom line is looking at the big picture we are in a pretty decent spot. This team has a week of practice to get back to playing at the level it is capable of and finding a way to play at that level more consistently. 6 more wins or half of our remaining games are probably what is needed to solidify a NCAA Tournament spot. Wisconsin, @ Ohio St., Maryland, @ Illinois, Iowa, @ Rutgers, Indiana, Michigan, @ Maryland, Penn St., Nebraska, @ Wisconsin.

As someone who has lived all over the country, I can tell you our fan base is very tame compared to many other fan bases.

Its a whole different version though. Everything is so negative all the time. I question why some people even come on here, because even when things are going good they still find a way to try and ruin the mood of the excited posters. We should have won this game, but sloppy play and we lost. Next step for gopherholers: New thread for a different coach to bring in. Breathe we are still 15-4.

It was a terrible 2nd half today and a really bad loss but bottom line is looking at the big picture we are in a pretty decent spot. This team has a week of practice to get back to playing at the level it is capable of and finding a way to play at that level more consistently. 6 more wins or half of our remaining games are probably what is needed to solidify a NCAA Tournament spot. Wisconsin, @ Ohio St., Maryland, @ Illinois, Iowa, @ Rutgers, Indiana, Michigan, @ Maryland, Penn St., Nebraska, @ Wisconsin.

All that is true, but the team vulnerabilities (mediocre field goal and free throw shooting, lack of depth at guard, no true go-to guy in pressure situations if Mason is off, very limited offensive potential at center if Lynch isn't playing, young and relatively untested players needing to play a lot of minutes) that one might have considered at the start of the season are really starting to show themselves. What I didn't anticipate was the extent of Murphy's soph slump.

Yes, going .500 the rest of the way is probably required to get an NCAA tournament bid. Our remaining conference schedule is pretty tough and I'm not all that confident that we can do that. If we don't, I think we're headed to the NIT. I would have been OK with that before the season started but that result would be a real letdown now. If we can beat Maryland at home next weekend that will be a very positive sign. If we don't, I could see us losing twice to both Maryland and Wisconsin and winning 6 of the remaining 8 would be a very steep climb.

As a transplant you might not have been witness to all the collapses and let downs this program has had...

I am also a transplant and haven't been a real Gopher fan all that long and I agree with you. I don't have decades of frustrations behind me. I was a fan during the collapse of Tubby's last year though and I've been thinking about that lately. That team started the season 15-1.

So I recorded it and didn't know the score but someone texted me saying they blew it. It sounds like it isn't worth watching? Were we in control most of the game until the end?

PSU only led two times the entire game... the 2nd of those came with 5 seconds remaining.

I guess I would agree. I didn't see who it was (Curry?) that missed the put back. It would have been good by the time clock if he had put it in the hoop. I don't know if he was fouled but I wouldn't expect them to call a touch foul in that situation anyway.

Springs

I didn't catch the game until a little over 7 minutes remained. At that point, the Gophers had a four point lead but they certainly weren't in control. Neither team was doing much on the offensive end but it didn't take too much longer for PSU to get into the bonus. PSU also appeared to get to the contested balls much more quickly than the Gophers in those final minutes and Minnesota helped them out with some unfortunate turnover moments. It certainly didn't help that McBrayer was running the point for a significant amount of time during that stretch. Murphy also fouled a three point shooter.

I didn't catch the game until a little over 7 minutes remained. At that point, the Gophers had a four point lead but they certainly weren't in control. Neither team was doing much on the offensive end but it didn't take too much longer for PSU to get into the bonus. PSU also appeared to get to the contested balls much more quickly than the Gophers in those final minutes and Minnesota helped them out with some unfortunate turnover moments. It certainly didn't help that McBrayer was running the point for a significant amount of time during that stretch. Murphy also fouled a three point shooter.

Mcbrayer has no idea what to do when guards pressure up on him. He's shook. Mason missed a couple of bunnies that he normally makes. And Murphy was so bad on defense, offense, and decision making I almost couldn't believe it. Plus Amir was astoundingly bad just inbounding the ball. But we're still .500 in the big ten after a tough early schedule. Let's come home and play loose and beat Wisconsin.

Mcbrayer has no idea what to do when guards pressure up on him. He's shook. Mason missed a couple of bunnies that he normally makes. And Murphy was so bad on defense, offense, and decision making I almost couldn't believe it. Plus Amir was astoundingly bad just inbounding the ball. But we're still .500 in the big ten after a tough early schedule. Let's come home and play loose and beat Wisconsin.

Great summary of today's collapse with some sentiments for retaining optimism! I love it.

Great summary of today's collapse with some sentiments for retaining optimism! I love it.

I watched the entire game and was disappointed in their lack of intensity and focus. You will always have down shooting performances but you can contribute with great D, boxing out to rebound and hustle plays. Mason and Murphy were not shooting well and looked like they did not play hard. They are two of our most experienced players who need to provide leadership regardless if their shot is on/ off.

I DVR'd this game. I recommend this strategy to everyone for these "a lot to lose not much to gain" games. That way you can just find out the score and save yourself the additional annoyance of spending 2 plus hours of your day on a major disappointment. Against my better judgment, I went to the DVR to see what the final sequence of the game looked like.... BRUTAL. First, there seemed to be a lot of contact on Coffey's drive to the basket but no call...but the ref was sure quick with the whistle to call a jump ball when Coffey looked like he had sole possession. It would be tough to have a worse rebounding effort than the Gophers did on the Penn State three...Nate and another player (Akeem I think ) are in the lane and their men are both outside the arc, Amir Coffey's man is in the corner and Amir doesn't box him out, Amir's man ends up getting the long rebound as none of the 3 Gophers put a body on him. I don't deny Mason probably committed a foul on that inbounds, but that is a bizarre call in a tie game with 6 seconds left and the ref was sure eager to call it. Then a guy who hasn't scored all game (?) goes to the line and hits the front end of a 1-1 and makes the second...can Gopher players start doing that? Other teams seem to have little problem making clutch free throws. The final sequence was equally terrible: 5.5 seconds is plenty of time to get a good look and the problems start with the inbounds...why was Mason the only Gopher player in the backcourt? They were lucky to just get the ball in bounds. Then I assume Mason was attempting to draw a foul on a 3? If not that, I honestly have no idea what he was doing. I also don't understand why the inbounder just jogged up the court. That guy should have been sprinting to the rim anticipating a chance to tip something in.

That's 3 out of 6 conference games where the Gophers have had a 14 point lead or more and they have blown the lead all 3 times (still hung on to beat Ohio State). The game against Wisconsin is now huge, the season can go one of two ways and the players and coaches have a week to decide which direction it will go in. Obviously with the collapses we have seen from this program time and time again in the last decade, it's tough to not think "It's going to happen again". Hopefully this is the year it doesn't happen.

I DVR'd this game. I recommend this strategy to everyone for these "a lot to lose not much to gain" games. That way you can just find out the score and save yourself the additional annoyance of spending 2 plus hours of your day on a major disappointment. Against my better judgment, I went to the DVR to see what the final sequence of the game looked like.... BRUTAL. First, there seemed to be a lot of contact on Coffey's drive to the basket but no call...but the ref was sure quick with the whistle to call a jump ball when Coffey looked like he had sole possession. It would be tough to have a worse rebounding effort than the Gophers did on the Penn State three...Nate and another player (Akeem I think ) are in the lane and their men are both outside the arc, Amir Coffey's man is in the corner and Amir doesn't box him out, Amir's man ends up getting the long rebound as none of the 3 Gophers put a body on him. I don't deny Mason probably committed a foul on that inbounds, but that is a bizarre call in a tie game with 6 seconds left and the ref was sure eager to call it. Then a guy who hasn't scored all game (?) goes to the line and hits the front end of a 1-1 and makes the second...can Gopher players start doing that? Other teams seem to have little problem making clutch free throws. The final sequence was equally terrible: 5.5 seconds is plenty of time to get a good look and the problems start with the inbounds...why was Mason the only Gopher player in the backcourt? They were lucky to just get the ball in bounds. Then I assume Mason was attempting to draw a foul on a 3? If not that, I honestly have no idea what he was doing. I also don't understand why the inbounder just jogged up the court. That guy should have been sprinting to the rim anticipating a chance to tip something in.

That's 3 out of 6 conference games where the Gophers have had a 14 point lead or more and they have blown the lead all 3 times (still hung on to beat Ohio State). The game against Wisconsin is now huge, the season can go one of two ways and the players and coaches have a week to decide which direction it will go in. Obviously with the collapses we have seen from this program time and time again in the last decade, it's tough to not think "It's going to happen again". Hopefully this is the year it doesn't happen.

EG#9, I thought exact same thing on our final possession, I couldn't believe we didn't have any other guards in the back court. Really no excuse for that.

Go Gophers!!

Top Bottom