***OFFICIAL MINNESOTA AT NORTHWESTERN IN-GAME THREAD***

I say 45% outcoached, 55% outplayed.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Hahaha, you answered your own stupid question. That's awesome. Correct answer: it's impossible to tell, particularly as someone who isn't in the locker room.

It's a very rare, and very sad day when I just plain give up watching the Gophs. This just simply isn't watchable. Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
+1. Turned it off for the 2nd time this year and 2nd time ever.

I turned it off with ten minutes to go and was pissed at myself for watching any of the second half. I know people are encouraged by the non blowout losses but I've never seen a team with so many things wrong with it.

+1. Turned it off for the 2nd time this year and 2nd time ever.

Turned it off after a couple minutes into the second half. First time I ever did that. That goes back over 3 and a half decades.

What can you say? What can you do? Go after Ben Jacobsen now before someone else does?

Lol. That's really bugging you isn't it?? Really hard concept for you to grasp I guess.

I think it must be a hard concept for you to grasp that this team does not have good shooters except for a senior that would be a role player off the bench on an average team and that is a big part of why they are winless in the conference.

I think it must be a hard concept for you to grasp that this team does not have good shooters except for a senior that would be a role player off the bench on an average team and that is a big part of why they are winless in the conference.

Nope, I get that. But that's still not what you said and what many people disagreed with.

Nope, I get that. But that's still not what you said and what many people disagreed with.

goalposts.gif

If you misunderstood what I posted then that is on you. My post stated i was concerned that King was our best shooter. Obviously that means the others are not as good thus my concern for the team this year. I posted further that given that King was a bit limited with his play we might not have anyone to pick up the slack. The record this year and ability of other teammates to shoot confirms my concern.

Turned it off after a couple minutes into the second half. First time I ever did that. That goes back over 3 and a half decades.

What can you say? What can you do? Go after Ben Jacobsen now before someone else does?

Same. Last night and the 2nd half @ Nebraska were unwatchable. Certainly we've been blown out before. 2011 Indiana comes to mind. But it was at least upsetting enough you'd watch to the end stewing about it watching Tubby sit on his stool staring off into space. Now, I can't fathom any emotion. It's just boring, awful basketball with no clear end in sight.

What worries and depresses me is the lack of toughness. There was a point in the second half when the NU guy in the mask went hard to the basket, scored and got fouled and then NU chest bumped like it was a key play in the game. No one on the Gophers reacted at all. I was hoping next time down, there would be a hard foul but nope, nothing.

Past bad Gophers team looked like they cared and had guys like Westbrook, Stamper, and Matthieu who at least looked like they were angry about losing. This team focuses on busy work hustling like picking teammates up when they are on the floor.

Murphy is the only one who seems to have any toughness.

If you misunderstood what I posted then that is on you. My post stated i was concerned that King was our best shooter. Obviously that means the others are not as good thus my concern for the team this year. I posted further that given that King was a bit limited with his play we might not have anyone to pick up the slack. The record this year and ability of other teammates to shoot confirms my concern.
I don't think king being the best shooter is necessary an issue, the issue is we don't have enough secondary shooters who can hit 36%+ from three

I don't think king being the best shooter is necessary an issue, the issue is we don't have enough secondary shooters who can hit 36%+ from three

Unless we have a bunch of guys dramatically improve, next year will not be any better with King gone. Who will be able to hit an outside shot next year?

What worries and depresses me is the lack of toughness. There was a point in the second half when the NU guy in the mask went hard to the basket, scored and got fouled and then NU chest bumped like it was a key play in the game. No one on the Gophers reacted at all. I was hoping next time down, there would be a hard foul but nope, nothing.

Past bad Gophers team looked like they cared and had guys like Westbrook, Stamper, and Matthieu who at least looked like they were angry about losing. This team focuses on busy work hustling like picking teammates up when they are on the floor.

This is why Pitino needs to go. A coach instills pride in your play whether you are winning or losing. The players aren't showing that pride.

This is why Pitino needs to go. A coach instills pride in your play whether you are winning or losing. The players aren't showing that pride.

If Pitino goes will you treat the new coach with a little respect unlike you do with Richard Pitino (calling him Little Ricky)? Will you leave all Tubby Smith comparisons in the past? Would you make one supportive comment on the future of the program? If any/all of these are yes' I might actually be in favor of a coaching change just to mix up the talk around here.

There is plenty to complain about, this is just bull ****.

If Pitino goes will you treat the new coach with a little respect unlike you do with Richard Pitino (calling him Little Ricky)? Will you leave all Tubby Smith comparisons in the past? Would you make one supportive comment on the future of the program? If any/all of these are yes' I might actually be in favor of a coaching change just to mix up the talk around here.
The current coach hasn't earned respect. His record is evidence of that. I had hoped that he was making strides after the abysmal meltdown this team had earlier this season, but the face plant that was done last night erased that. The bar for a future coach getting respect, as opposed to sympathy or pity, is set pretty low right now. It would only take four or five wins in the first Big Ten season.

Can any future coach be compared to Dutcher, Clem, Monson or other predecessor? Dutcher and Clem developed big men to establish an inside game and give outside shooters lower pressure. That hasn't happened in three seasons.

This program needs positives. Those positives have to be wins because it is still laboring under the faux pas from seven years ago when the AD admitted needing upgraded facilities while hiring a previous coach. This faux pas was exacerbated publicly by the school administration stalling for five years to start any fundraising and thus damaging the program's recruiting ability.

The lack of upperclass leadership and the boundless confusion among the sophomores and freshmen has stalled any progress in the Men's BB program.

Whomever coaches this team next season will be at year one of the development in this program. Therefore, you have to question whether you want a coach who is in the fourth year or the first year of their contract leading the program.

The current coach hasn't earned respect. His record is evidence of that. I had hoped that he was making strides after the abysmal meltdown this team had earlier this season, but the face plant that was done last night erased that. The bar for a future coach getting respect, as opposed to sympathy or pity, is set pretty low right now. It would only take four or five wins in the first Big Ten season.

Can any future coach be compared to Dutcher, Clem, Monson or other predecessor? Dutcher and Clem developed big men to establish an inside game and give outside shooters lower pressure. That hasn't happened in three seasons.

This program needs positives. Those positives have to be wins because it is still laboring under the faux pas from seven years ago when the AD admitted needing upgraded facilities while hiring a previous coach. This faux pas was exacerbated publicly by the school administration stalling for five years to start any fundraising and thus damaging the program's recruiting ability.

The lack of upperclass leadership and the boundless confusion among the sophomores and freshmen has stalled any progress in the Men's BB program.

Whomever coaches this team next season will be at year one of the development in this program. Therefore, you have to question whether you want a coach who is in the fourth year or the first year of their contract leading the program.

You mean you have to question whether you want Pitino leading this program next year or a first year coach probably starting a rebuild all over again. Others may not have that same question of who they want leading the program next season. I don't have any question I want Pitino back next year leading the Gophers. I want to see what he can do with the very talented recruiting class he and his staff have coming in and the experienced JR transfers to go along with the current guys who have been improving for the most part this season like Mason, McBrayer, Murphy, Dorsey, and Gilbert.

You mean you have to question whether you want Pitino leading this program next year or a first year coach probably starting a rebuild all over again. Others may not have that same question of who they want leading the program next season. I don't have any question I want Pitino back next year leading the Gophers. I want to see what he can do with the very talented recruiting class he and his staff have coming in and the experienced JR transfers to go along with the current guys who have been improving for the most part this season like Mason, McBrayer, Murphy, Dorsey, and Gilbert.

I will say this. If this team loses to Iowa by less than thirty points, then I could consider being okay with Pitino coming back. Right now, I am expecting a 35 point loss to Iowa.

Thats literally exactly what I just said and have been saying the entire time.

Unless we have a bunch of guys dramatically improve, next year will not be any better with King gone. Who will be able to hit an outside shot next year?

Everyone is pinning their hopes ob coffey next year. I'm not so sure on that one but we should at least have an improved inside game with lynch so maybe that will open it up a little more from outside if oposing teams are forced to do more to defend the paint.

Everyone is pinning their hopes ob coffey next year. I'm not so sure on that one but we should at least have an improved inside game with lynch so maybe that will open it up a little more from outside if oposing teams are forced to do more to defend the paint.

I just think that the guys we have will get better. McBrayer and Dorsey will be better shooters and stronger. Murphy will be a better defender, better shooter and foul less. Konate will get stronger and better. Gilbert will be a good shooter for us. Now add Coffey. Now add Hurt, who I think may be under rated, Lynch, Fitz and Curry and you have a chance to get better at low post scoring and rebounding, better at defense and be a better shooting team. There is no one panacea on the horizon but there are a lot of little things we will be better at. It could well be that the key to next season will be to win a few close games early in the Big Ten to get the players believing. The talent will be there.

I just think that the guys we have will get better. McBrayer and Dorsey will be better shooters and stronger. Murphy will be a better defender, better shooter and foul less. Konate will get stronger and better. Gilbert will be a good shooter for us. Now add Coffey. Now add Hurt, who I think may be under rated, Lynch, Fitz and Curry and you have a chance to get better at low post scoring and rebounding, better at defense and be a better shooting team. There is no one panacea on the horizon but there are a lot of little things we will be better at. It could well be that the key to next season will be to win a few close games early in the Big Ten to get the players believing. The talent will be there.

I think those are reasonable expectations for next year, and if they don't happen and the program's situation doesn't improve, then it's the new AD's decision to jettison Pitino or not. And I'm fine with that scenario.

Outside of not winning a game what has Richard Pitino done to lose respect? You are going to not give someone the respect of using their name just because they failed to win a few games? To me Richard seems like a stand up guy. A salesman about his program for sure but as of now I don't see the slimy character issues that have plagued his father. For that, if nothing else, I will always, at the very least, use his correct name when talking about him.

I didn't think this would be a good team this year but I didn't expect the team to be this bad. But I believe they will win next year and Pitino will save his job. Brighter days ahead. This year he just needs to keep teaching and keep developing the freshman players.

Outside of not winning a game what has Richard Pitino done to lose respect? You are going to not give someone the respect of using their name just because they failed to win a few games? To me Richard seems like a stand up guy. A salesman about his program for sure but as of now I don't see the slimy character issues that have plagued his father. For that, if nothing else, I will always, at the very least, use his correct name when talking about him.
I am not questioning whether RP is a stand up guy or not. He presents himself as very genial and sincere. We have had football coaches who were the same way. The thing is that recruiting had been poor at best until next year's class. The development of the talent that he does have has been anywhere from minimal to marginal. He has recruited disproportionately more guards and small forwards than he has power forwards and centers which has hurt the development of all players because opponents can out rebound us at will and makes each missed middle to long distance shot and automatic transition to defense.

Now we are being held hostage from making a change because we have a Top 20 recruiting class coming in next year. If we make a change, the spectre of losing those recruits rears it's head.

We have had three straight years of this program being in year one of building. Next year is going to be a fourth straight year one. Would you rather do that with the coach who has lead us into this mire and does not have a track record of being able to get beyond this situation or bring in someone new who would create less disappointment if our faith in improvement is not fulfilled?

Stand up guys need to eventually deliver results, too. Is facing a fourth year of a team with a Big Ten record that is under .500, and possibly under .250, with a stand up guy worth having more unfulfilled hope?

I didn't think this would be a good team this year but I didn't expect the team to be this bad. But I believe they will win next year and Pitino will save his job. Brighter days ahead. This year he just needs to keep teaching and keep developing the freshman players.

I am generally one that believes he should get another year and will regardless due to $ reasons.

Here's my question: Is this the guy that you want "developing" players? Mo was motivated and improved, no doubt...everyone else has gotten worse or has not improved substantially. Eliason, Dre Hollins, Matheiu, etc. There are plenty of excuses that are moderately valid such as Hollins' injury or Matheiu becoming a dad, but I worry about his developmental abilities.

Konate has improved a bit, and of course any D1 coach is going to get a little improvement, but Gaston still looks like he's never played organized basketball. When are we going to see a guy where we are shocked that a coach was able to coax that out of him? Putting some motivation in Mo was about all I can think of. King also got worse (maybe due to becoming less of a role player).

He's only had 3 years, so there is time for him to get more improvement about plenty of these players, but for me to be excited about how he's going to coach these guys up, I'd like to have seen more early returns in that department.

At this point the best that I can expect is natural improvement from being one year older and having more time in the gym.

Top Bottom