***OFFICIAL MINNESOTA AT NORTHWESTERN IN-GAME THREAD***

I'm all for giving Pitino at least one more year for all the practical reasons. But he's got to lose that stool! What is he 33? Against Purdue he looked like a tired old man while Painter was on his feet the entire game. Shades of Tubster. :(

I am not questioning whether RP is a stand up guy or not. He presents himself as very genial and sincere. We have had football coaches who were the same way. The thing is that recruiting had been poor at best until next year's class. The development of the talent that he does have has been anywhere from minimal to marginal. He has recruited disproportionately more guards and small forwards than he has power forwards and centers which has hurt the development of all players because opponents can out rebound us at will and makes each missed middle to long distance shot and automatic transition to defense.

Now we are being held hostage from making a change because we have a Top 20 recruiting class coming in next year. If we make a change, the spectre of losing those recruits rears it's head.

We have had three straight years of this program being in year one of building. Next year is going to be a fourth straight year one. Would you rather do that with the coach who has lead us into this mire and does not have a track record of being able to get beyond this situation or bring in someone new who would create less disappointment if our faith in improvement is not fulfilled?

Stand up guys need to eventually deliver results, too. Is facing a fourth year of a team with a Big Ten record that is under .500, and possibly under .250, with a stand up guy worth having more unfulfilled hope?

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Sounds good. None of those are reasons to call him "Little Ricky" instead of Richard Pitino. I'm not disagreeing with you on the status of the program just of your lack of respect shown to a person you likely have never met. I would however suggest that the $7 million buyout is more of a reason the program isn't making a change than the future recruits. If we don't think he can coach then future recruits mean nothing as they wont develop (that's if he can't coach, I personally think he might be able to coach and want another year but that's besides the point).

Sounds good. None of those are reasons to call him "Little Ricky" instead of Richard Pitino. I'm not disagreeing with you on the status of the program just of your lack of respect shown to a person you likely have never met. I would however suggest that the $7 million buyout is more of a reason the program isn't making a change than the future recruits. If we don't think he can coach then future recruits mean nothing as they wont develop (that's if he can't coach, I personally think he might be able to coach and want another year but that's besides the point).
If you feel that addressing him inappropriately is the biggest problem with this team's slide into the morass of incompetence then I suggest differently. This team had two years of laboring under the carnage of the previous regime. This season was the stepping out of that shadow and they are wrapping themselves in it.

Let me put it to you this way. If I said publicly that I was beginning a new health regime of eating organically and working out regularly to lose 150 pounds in 15 months and to refrain from calling me Fatty McSlobberson during this time as a sign of support that would be admirable and worthy of support. Now suppose you saw me 8 months later eating a Big Mac and looking like I was down maybe 20 pounds, wouldn't you be concerned about my commitment to my plan? Add to that seeing me 12 months later, eating a Family Size bag of Doritos and looking the same size, wouldn't you consider that I have abdicated any right to be offended if someone called me Fatty McSlobberson because I wasn't putting in the promised work to achieve my goal? That is where we are with this program. You can argue
all the extenuating circumstances you want, but the reality is that the work hasn't been seen to merit the gratiousness of others.

If you feel that addressing him inappropriately is the biggest problem with this team's slide into the morass of incompetence then I suggest differently. This team had two years of laboring under the carnage of the previous regime. This season was the stepping out of that shadow and they are wrapping themselves in it.

Let me put it to you this way. If I said publicly that I was beginning a new health regime of eating organically and working out regularly to lose 150 pounds in 15 months and to refrain from calling me Fatty McSlobberson during this time as a sign of support that would be admirable and worthy of support. Now suppose you saw me 8 months later eating a Big Mac and looking like I was down maybe 20 pounds, wouldn't you be concerned about my commitment to my plan? Add to that seeing me 12 months later, eating a Family Size bag of Doritos and looking the same size, wouldn't you consider that I have abdicated any right to be offended if someone called me Fatty McSlobberson because I wasn't putting in the promised work to achieve my goal? That is where we are with this program. You can argue
all the extenuating circumstances you want, but the reality is that the work hasn't been seen to merit the gratiousness of others.

Can you repeat the part of the stuff where you said all about the things?

No it's not the biggest problem it's just sophomoric and annoys the crap out of me. You can disagree with someone, you can not like a person while still showing respect. Calling someone names is just juvenile and undermines the strength of your arguments.

Also if your idea of support is not calling someone names I hope you get along with your boss cause otherwise you wont keep a job long.

Unfortunately, Coach Pitino is in the public eye. He also is making a lot of money. In my opinion, undeservedly so. I have heard high school and small college coaches railed on when they are making little and have few resources. This is wrong. For Coach Pitino, it comes with the gig. While I personally will not refer to him as Little Rickey, I will not begrudge anyone on this site from doing so.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Unfortunately, Coach Pitino is in the public eye. He also is making a lot of money. In my opinion, undeservedly so. I have heard high school and small college coaches railed on when they are making little and have few resources. This is wrong. For Coach Pitino, it comes with the gig. While I personally will not refer to him as Little Rickey, I will not begrudge anyone on this sight from doing so.

I don't care how much money he makes it doesn't make being disrespectful at a personal level right. Criticizing the job is ok but this little Richard BS is sophomoric Reusse stuff. That said winning, which I think he could do, will put an end to that type of clever nonsense.

I don't care how much money he makes it doesn't make being disrespectful at a personal level right. Criticizing the job is ok but this little Richard BS is sophomoric Reusse stuff. That said winning, which I think he could do, will put an end to that type of clever nonsense.

Your opinion. You are entitled to it. I don't agree with you.

No it's not the biggest problem it's just sophomoric and annoys the crap out of me. You can disagree with someone, you can not like a person while still showing respect. Calling someone names is just juvenile and undermines the strength of your arguments.

Also if your idea of support is not calling someone names I hope you get along with your boss cause otherwise you wont keep a job long.
So the idea of stoking a fire is an alien concept to you? The idea that if a person is not responding to reassurance and compliments that maybe you need to change tactics and start poking at them and getting them irritated to get back on track is wrong? Pass me a participation trophy.

It's not "little Richard", it's Lil Ricky.

Anyone ever shake hands with Lil Ricky? He should be fired for his shake alone. Those that have know what I'm talking about.

So the idea of stoking a fire is an alien concept to you? The idea that if a person is not responding to reassurance and compliments that maybe you need to change tactics and start poking at them and getting them irritated to get back on track is wrong? Pass me a participation trophy.

you think he actually reads this? hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha

Edit: Also if you think he isn't trying his best but a little prodding from you can change that you are crazy

Edit#2: I guess you could have been speaking in general terms about the idea of name calling. To that I just hope you are not a manager. People don't leave companies they leave managers and You would not be one to work for if you think a little name calling can get more out of a person. more likely the person shuts down if you are their boss.

Unfortunately, Coach Pitino is in the public eye. He also is making a lot of money. In my opinion, undeservedly so. I have heard high school and small college coaches railed on when they are making little and have few resources. This is wrong. For Coach Pitino, it comes with the gig. While I personally will not refer to him as Little Rickey, I will not begrudge anyone on this site from doing so.

I can't speak for others but I don't care for it because I think it is hard to take someone serious when they resort to name calling. I just don't think it is necessary. It isn't hard to get your point/opinion across without calling him Lil Ricky.

you think he actually reads this? hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha

Edit: Also if you think he isn't trying his best but a little prodding from you can change that you are crazy
Well, the strength of your offense indicates a "run and tell the coach" attitude. You couldn't let it drop after I has quit doing it.

I can't speak for others but I don't care for it because I think it is hard to take someone serious when they resort to name calling. I just don't think it is necessary. It isn't hard to get your point/opinion across without calling him Lil Ricky.
I am all for "doing things the right way" but this reaffirms to me that we have put the cart before the horse and are letting "the right way" dictate "doing things." If some one proposes a slightly darker shade of gray we accuse them of being agents of darkness and destroyers of peace and harmony.

I want to clear something up right now, I love Gopher sports. Ever since I started attending classes I have balked at the academic derision towards athletics that I have experienced. I worked at a small independent bookseller that was on campus while there. I often brought up Gopher sports early in my time there as a way of trying to break the ice with customers and was so shocked by the responses I got I stopped using that strategy. The responses from educators and administrators ranged from derision to outright venomous hatred of all things competitive.

In my opinion, the athletic department has a huge bullseye on it from arrogant academics who are territorially stuck in their administrative caves. It is incumbent on all Gopher sports to be successful to counter this bias. Boosters have to be wary of becoming rigidly stuck to appeasing every administrative whim. It is the anti-sports way of hobbling progress in athletics. If this tactic was taken regards to other departments at the U there would be an outcry.

I am all for "doing things the right way" but this reaffirms to me that we have put the cart before the horse and are letting "the right way" dictate "doing things." If some one proposes a slightly darker shade of gray we accuse them of being agents of darkness and destroyers of peace and harmony.

giphy.gif

It's not "little Richard", it's Lil Ricky.

Anyone ever shake hands with Lil Ricky? He should be fired for his shake alone. Those that have know what I'm talking about.

Isn't Little Richard a singer.....or is that Tiny Tim...

I actually thought it was a good bet at the time, we were playing well for the last few games (improving) and it is ****ing Northwestern regardless if they are improved NW or not, it is still NW. We have some pretty decent players too (Murphy, Mason, Dorsey, etc). This is a kick in the nuts.

Good. Same ole ****ing Northwestern kicked your maroon butts by >20 points twice in basketball and shut you out in football 27-0.

...same ole Minnesota?

Good. Same ole ****ing Northwestern kicked your maroon butts by >20 points twice in basketball and shut you out in football 27-0.

...same ole Minnesota?

I'm pretty sure most everyone has moved on by now. Smack talk from a fan whose team has NEVER played a tournament game is priceless though.

I know when I'm up at 2am on a Sunday morning, the first thing I do is go to different teams' message boards to see what they said about my team two months ago.

Top Bottom