***OFFICIAL MINNESOTA AT MICHIGAN IN-GAME THREAD***

So a year later after working with two stiffs for a year and getting nowhere you double down on your mistake by not bringing in other bigs at the best talent level available even if they need to walk on? The U is a huge school, probably 10 kids playing inter mural including division I athletes in other sports) that could do more for the program than these two guys.

I seriously doubt that. The difference is these 10 kids you are referring to are playing against other intramural level players. They would be exposed just like Diedhiou and Konate against quality competition.

Don't forget they also planned to have another option this fall (Jonathan Nwankwo). As he committed in the fall of 2014, Pitino wasn't going to actively recruit a fourth center and didn't have any more scholarships to offer in either case.

I can't believe I just read someone suggesting that they want Pitino to welcome some walk-ons from the rec....

If you genetically crossed a lobster with a professional brick layer you would have someone with softer hands than Diedhou. Being in position once on defense, and getting fouled on a shot that had zero chance of going in isn't enough even on this team to warrant more playing time. My guess is Pitino saw that brick/shot go up and immediately regretted putting that embarrassment out on the floor because it makes the gophers look like a bad AAU program.
You are insulting lobsters.

So a year later after working with two stiffs for a year and getting nowhere you double down on your mistake by not bringing in other bigs at the best talent level available

+1. I won't say we needed to go recruit walk-ons. But we had 3 open scholarships last April and their had to be a JUCO big man somewhere who would be more competent than this. It's inexcusable after seeing them both play last year to no at least try to address the black hole. I thought Murphy would play more center, but if Pitino knew that wasn't the case, he needed to do something.

+1. I won't say we needed to go recruit walk-ons. But we had 3 open scholarships last April and their had to be a JUCO big man somewhere who would be more competent than this. It's inexcusable after seeing them both play last year to no at least try to address the black hole. I thought Murphy would play more center, but if Pitino knew that wasn't the case, he needed to do something.

The coaches knew this was going to be a tough year no matter what. And if they would have brought in a Juco center, then next season we would have four guys on the team that can only play one position. My guess is they felt Lynch is going to be the guy the next two years and Konate could progress into at least a serviceable backup.

But who knows, maybe they did try and there just wasn't anyone out there that showed any interest and would be much of an improvement.

We were rumored to be recruiting 2 juco C/F last year.

First was Chris Boucher (who chose Oregon over us)
He's averaging 11.9pts and 7.7 rbs he probably would have been an improvement

The second one we looked at(though if we offered was debateable?) was Cullen Russo:
He's not starting for Fresno st. and is averaging 5.5 pts and 5 rbs. I'm not sure he would have been a tramendous improvement over who we have/got.

Point is we tried to get a JUCO forward who would help us and missed. We passed on one who wouldn't have been a game changer.

We were rumored to be recruiting 2 juco C/F last year. First was Chris Boucher (who chose Oregon over us) He's averaging 11.9pts and 7.7 rbs he probably would have been an improvement The second one we looked at(though if we offered was debateable?) was Cullen Russo: He's not starting for Fresno st. and is averaging 5.5 pts and 5 rbs. I'm not sure he would have been a tramendous improvement over who we have/got. Point is we tried to get a JUCO forward who would help us and missed. We passed on one who wouldn't have been a game changer.

FWIW Pitino on his radio show said that while they were recruiting those last two scholarships (JN and Jarvis) he went to his staff and the AD (not sure if that is NT or Beth) and said here's what we could do, sign someone to help immediately and have a little better year this season. Or go after two transfers and take a bigger step back this season with a big step forward the next season.

I'm not sure of the timeline or who he may have specifically been referring to, but it sounds like as a staff and administration they talked and agreed they could deal with a bad year this year (which as Pitino has said has been worse than even he thought it would be) as long as it meant a bigger step next year and a more solid foundation for the future.

So a year later after working with two stiffs for a year and getting nowhere you double down on your mistake by not bringing in other bigs at the best talent level available even if they need to walk on? The U is a huge school, probably 10 kids playing inter mural(including division I athletes in other sports) that could do more for the program than these two guys.
We tried remember Nwanko? They didn't let him into school, course we wound up Jordan Murphy but point still stands, Not to mention Reggie Lynch next year

Top Bottom