***OFFICIAL MINNESOTA AT MICHIGAN IN-GAME THREAD***

Win or lose...the effort is there. The Konate experiment is over in my book.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
*sigh* It sure is....

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Not a bad loss, all things considered. It's going to take baby steps this year and tonight was progress.

I'll always remember Crisler fondly as the place we clinched the '97 Big Ten title*.

Lots of positives tonight. Need to get a win soon, but the coach has not lost the team at all and they have gotten better the past two games. The switch to man to man has been the key to it.

Liked a few things!

1. Started the youngsters
2. Man to man defense
3. Driving to the hoop on offense
4. Played the game the right way at the end
5. McBrayer and Murphy are both really fun to watch! They have alot to learn but at least two solid Freshman building blocks

Wonder if Dorsey is 100% or still battling the foot injury. He showed many more flashes before injury.

Yes, I enjoyed watching the team tonight. Keep working and good things will happen.

Wonder if Dorsey is 100% or still battling the foot injury. He showed many more flashes before injury.
I thought the same thing. Just a bit slower

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

I thought the same thing. Just a bit slower

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Confidence issue. Not a doubt in my mind. He needs some help on the pick n roll and would benefit from some up tempo basketball, which we are not playing for whatever reason. I attribute to a lack of depth and no trust in the back end defenders.

I really like this Michigan team and was worried about how many good shooters they have and how the Gophers would defend them but I thought the Gophers did a pretty decent job tonight. Mason and McBrayer did a great job of getting to the rim and finishing really liked the way they both played. Offensively just didn't make enough shots to win especially struggling from the 3 point line. Murphy had another solid night really hope he will improve from the free throw line throughout his career and I'd be a little surprised if he didn't. Need the same type of effort against Illinois and they'll be a chance to get a win.

It's tough to win to begin with but when two of the three upperclassmen are invisible the entire game, it is nearly impossible. Hope Mason can continue to play well. No doubt the freshman are getting better each game. Murphy needs to stop shooting three's. Do they do a +/- for college basketball? Curious what it is for Konate compared to when he is out of the game. Seems like we play so much better when he isn't on the floor. Every other rebound goes off his hands anyway, so might as well just stick with a smaller lineup.

I've said that we need to give Konate gobs of playing time so he can develop, but I'm teetering now. It may be that we just scrap the project. I don't know if I see a lot of hope for him. You can't play the position without hands; you just can't.

I've said that we need to give Konate gobs of playing time so he can develop, but I'm teetering now. It may be that we just scrap the project. I don't know if I see a lot of hope for him. You can't play the position without hands; you just can't.
Though clearly, many have tried.
Same thoughts, tho rumor has it he was hobbled with an ankle sprain. I didn't do it.

It was kind of amazing how easily Mason got layup after layup. I hadn't seen Michigan play before this--wow do they need a rim protector. I loved how aggressive Mason and McBrayer were tonight. It was nice to see McBrayer finishing so much better at the rim. He's really good at getting to the hoop and drawing fouls for a freshman. It was also good to see Murphy blocking a number of shots as a help defender. He got pretty screwed on one of his blocks that they called a foul.

It was kind of amazing how easily Mason got layup after layup. I hadn't seen Michigan play before this--wow do they need a rim protector. I loved how aggressive Mason and McBrayer were tonight. It was nice to see McBrayer finishing so much better at the rim. He's really good at getting to the hoop and drawing fouls for a freshman. It was also good to see Murphy blocking a number of shots as a help defender. He got pretty screwed on one of his blocks that they called a foul.

Agreed

Last night was a blue print for how this team can be as successful as they can. Step 1 Konate and Diedhou can't be on the floor. That's really steps 1-5. Watching our guys try to run an offense when the other team leaves Konate almost unguarded begging us to make the mistake of throwing him the ball is too much. I think taking those guys out of the equation for the 2nd half is what kept the fight in the team. That was Morris's best overall game as a gopher, i've seen him score before but never score and play good defense an entire game. He was getting though picks on defense, thinking ahead, and even snagged a few rebounds due to being mentally present on the defensive end. I really think the difference last night was our lack of offensive production when diedhou and konate were on the floor. It's so easy to play great help defense when the guy guarding the guy in the middle can leave him early and return to him late, knowing he is zero threat to catch the ball, or do anything with it if he does somehow catch it.

Konate struggles no doubt, but I haven't given up on him, he clearly gives effort, he should be able to scrap out a role behind Lynch next year. Gaston on the other hand.... Nice to see Mason and McBreyer play well. Thought Dorsey was thinking a little too much. Morris is Morris take the good take the bad, the facts of life! King and Buggs were MIA IMO. Murphy needs to stay out of foul trouble, next year that won't be as big of an issue as Curry has a high motor and can rebound, but he could be special once he figures that part of it out. Good effort, I think they'll breakthrough the next game. Do we get Michigan at home later in the year? That could be interesting

Last night was a blue print for how this team can be as successful as they can. Step 1 Konate and Diedhou can't be on the floor. That's really steps 1-5. Watching our guys try to run an offense when the other team leaves Konate almost unguarded begging us to make the mistake of throwing him the ball is too much. I think taking those guys out of the equation for the 2nd half is what kept the fight in the team. That was Morris's best overall game as a gopher, i've seen him score before but never score and play good defense an entire game. He was getting though picks on defense, thinking ahead, and even snagged a few rebounds due to being mentally present on the defensive end. I really think the difference last night was our lack of offensive production when diedhou and konate were on the floor. It's so easy to play great help defense when the guy guarding the guy in the middle can leave him early and return to him late, knowing he is zero threat to catch the ball, or do anything with it if he does somehow catch it.

The scouting of Konate has lead to Joey being ineffective. His defender doesn't even have to slack on the pick n roll as the other team knows we can't throw a bullet or bounce pass to Bakary. Therefore, on the weak side help, Joey stays covered or on the pick n pop his defender is staying on the perimeter rather than sinking to help the roll. Makes our offense look TERRIBLE but it really should be more effective with someone with hands in the middle. Would like to try BGA's idea of putting Buggs and or Murphy in that roll situation as you could, at least, throw them a lob from time to time to get some help side defense to be honest.

I thought last night was a good effort and we are just not knocking down wide open threes. Both Morris and Joey missed a couple transition 3s that could have been the difference between being down 3 and 9 at various points in our run. As we continue to play other teams that have those shooters it's sooo damn obvious thats what we are lacking.

The two African kids are worthless. Really stupid decision by Pitino. Basic basketball skills matter.
There wasn't some kid that grew up playing basketball in the US that he could have signed?
Trying to copy his old man.

The two African kids are worthless. Really stupid decision by Pitino. Basic basketball skills matter.
There wasn't some kid that grew up playing basketball in the US that he could have signed?

Konate is somewhat understandable in my opinion because we needed a big man and he was being recruited by other programs as well. Diedhiou is a different story though.

I remember Pitino saying in an interview last year that he wished he didn't have to go to Africa to find big men, but his options were limited.

As for copying his old man? I'm assuming you're talking about Gorgui Dieng who was a top 50 prospect and had several D1 offers. Not the same thing.

Gaston last night had a good contest on one end that someone didn't rotate to block out and Michigan got the easy put back. Then he CAUGHT a post feed and made a good move and got fouled. Made 1/2 but has a good looking shot. Then got the hook. Maybe a few more minutes wouldn't hurt. We're not going anywhere this season.

Gaston last night had a good contest on one end that someone didn't rotate to block out and Michigan got the easy put back. Then he CAUGHT a post feed and made a good move and got fouled. Made 1/2 but has a good looking shot. Then got the hook. Maybe a few more minutes wouldn't hurt. We're not going anywhere this season.

If you genetically crossed a lobster with a professional brick layer you would have someone with softer hands than Diedhou. Being in position once on defense, and getting fouled on a shot that had zero chance of going in isn't enough even on this team to warrant more playing time. My guess is Pitino saw that brick/shot go up and immediately regretted putting that embarrassment out on the floor because it makes the gophers look like a bad AAU program.

I wonder if Pitino could dial up the Batphone and get Kevin McHale to come in and work with the 2 big men exclusively. Do the rules dictate that someone working with players has to officially be a member of the coaching staff? I think someone of McHale's accomplishments is the only hope to turn Konate and Diedhiou into serviceable players.

I wonder if Pitino could dial up the Batphone and get Kevin McHale to come in and work with the 2 big men exclusively. Do the rules dictate that someone working with players has to officially be a member of the coaching staff? I think someone of McHale's accomplishments is the only hope to turn Konate and Diedhiou into serviceable players.

These guys aren't even close to having put in the time on BASIC basketball skills to benefit from the refinement a Kevin Mchale could offer. Someone like Sampson from a few years back who had the skills but fell short of potential would be a good candidate for that, not these guys.

These guys aren't even close to having put in the time on BASIC basketball skills to benefit from the refinement a Kevin Mchale could offer. Someone like Sampson from a few years back who had the skills but fell short of potential would be a good candidate for that, not these guys.

I'd have to disagree with you on this one. Sampson needed a mental adjustment only. It wasn't that his footwork or positioning was off. Maybe McHale is better at the mental side of it than teaching "BASIC basketball skills" but I'd bet he'd be pretty good at teaching positioning and footwork/post moves.

Hands are a lot about focus and it's possible Konate is thinking too much and worried about the next move too often rather than making the catch. If he is more confident in his moves with the ball maybe we can get him to focus on making the catch better?

I'd have to disagree with you on this one. Sampson needed a mental adjustment only. It wasn't that his footwork or positioning was off. Maybe McHale is better at the mental side of it than teaching "BASIC basketball skills" but I'd bet he'd be pretty good at teaching positioning and footwork/post moves.

Hands are a lot about focus and it's possible Konate is thinking too much and worried about the next move too often rather than making the catch. If he is more confident in his moves with the ball maybe we can get him to focus on making the catch better?

You don't make a guy think less by teaching him new things. He needs thousands of hours of repetition to catch up to the time other big men who do have basic skills already have. Occasionally you get an Olajuwan who is so naturally athletic that they can shorten the learning curve, but you can't cheat the grind and even Hakeem had spent years playing soccer getting footwork and balance down prior to starting basketball late, and in his generation the other players in college didn't come in as polished. There is nothing in our bigs that 40 hours of Kevin Mchale could fix or even greatly improve.

I remember Pitino saying in an interview last year that he wished he didn't have to go to Africa to find big men, but his options were limited.

Everybody's options are limited, but he has more options available to him than just going to Africa for centers. That's just ridiculous. There are centers on D2 teams around here who can catch the ball and rebound. South Dakota State - a way better team than the Gophers - doesn't have to go to Africa for centers, and we don't either.

Everybody's options are limited, but he has more options available to him than just going to Africa for centers. That's just ridiculous. There are centers on D2 teams around here who can catch the ball and rebound. South Dakota State - a way better team than the Gophers - doesn't have to go to Africa for centers, and we don't either.

This has been discussed over and over again, it was Pitino's first full recruiting class and he was after a number of high profile recruits. He ended up missing on all of them and both Konate and Diedhiou were late spring additions. So weighing possible talent and upside vs what is left in April, yes I believe that was about as good as he could do at that time.

This has been discussed over and over again, it was Pitino's first full recruiting class and he was after a number of high profile recruits. He ended up missing on all of them and both Konate and Diedhiou were late spring additions. So weighing possible talent and upside vs what is left in April, yes I believe that was about as good as he could do at that time.

So a year later after working with two stiffs for a year and getting nowhere you double down on your mistake by not bringing in other bigs at the best talent level available even if they need to walk on? The U is a huge school, probably 10 kids playing inter mural(including division I athletes in other sports) that could do more for the program than these two guys.

So a year later after working with two stiffs for a year and getting nowhere you double down on your mistake by not bringing in other bigs at the best talent level available even if they need to walk on? The U is a huge school, probably 10 kids playing inter mural(including division I athletes in other sports) that could do more for the program than these two guys.

I don't think these type of players are as available as you are making it out to be.

Jordan Murphy? Reggie Lynch? Fitzgerald is 6-8 and will be able to rebound. Eric Curry next year. You don't need five 6'10" guys on the roster, especially for the style Pitino wants to play. Pitino wants his big guys to be 6'8"-6'9" and able to run.

Cue the Common Man's Kevin McHale Big Man Camp bit: McHale helped T-Wolves big men Felton Spe..., Luc Long..., Paul Gr...., Michael Oliwak..., Big Brown B...

Top Bottom