***OFFICIAL MINNESOTA AT INDIANA IN-GAME THREAD***

The young guys are going to shoot better over time as well. McBrayer has a chance to be a pro if he finds a consistent long range shot. The kid is amazing with the ball both passing and with the dribble. Every team is going to have to respect the driving of the three guards so if there is some shooting added-boom!

We won't see one man to man defense next year, except Wisconsin, and they will just foul us. Fitz coffee and hurt better be ready to knock down the long ball.

Konate hurts in that he isn't effective in the pick n roll except for clean up spots. End game situations teams just know to put pressure up top as there ain't no a in hell we are throwing the ball to bk in a pressure spot. Murph is too wide eyed at this point for those times and teams have been putting a solid defender on Joey so it's an easy switch.

Konate has to continue to develop his hands and a 15 foot jumper so we can slip that screen and pocket pass. It'll come. I have faith in bk.

He's much better defensively than we give him credit for, but he's gonna struggle vs smaller quicker bigs.

Spencer's positive..........Silver lining..........kevin dorsey 21 pts. indiana 2 of 18 from 3 etc

As of 9:30 am today, Korzenowski had Dorsey transferring because he would get buried on the depth chart.

What was worse today: Bob Wenzel, the home cooking, or Joey King?

I think our best lineup right now is Dorsey, McBrayer, Mason, Murphy, and Buggs or Konate.

The young guys are all getting better and that's what matters to me. Mason has had at least 5 assists in 6 of the last 7 games. Has averaged 6.8 in the last 5 games. Still struggling with his outside shot but his confidence is back. Going to be a heck of a player the next two seasons. McBrayer has had at least 2 assists in the last 11 games and has averaged 6 per game in the last 3. Dorsey with a big breakout game. Hope this gives him confidence going forward. He might have gotten a little out of control with his trash talking for awhile but I love the intensity. This team needs that as long as he doesn't go too far. Although he has a long ways to go, even Konate has shown some improvement. I'm still hopeful he can continue to improve to be a solid contributor going forward. Need to get the ball to Murphy more often. It would help if he would stay out of foul trouble too.

We continue to get very little production from the older guys. King just isn't getting it done. Frustrating but at the same time, we won't really miss much next year.

Wenzel is just awful. He was in love with Indiana until the way end. They would hit a mid range jumper and he would yell "wow!". He was also wrong about the Indiana player hanging on the rim in the first half. Should have been a technical. The guy hung onto the rim while trying to grab the ball with his other hand. He didn't do it for safety reasons.

The first foul call on Murphy was a joke. He was literally just standing there and the Indiana player fell over him.

The effort continues to be good and I will give Pitino credit for that. It is easy to lose the team when you've lost this many games in a row and it doesn't appear he has. Moral victories suck. But all I care about the rest of the year is progress. Let the young guys continue to get a lot of experience and hopefully get better. Things like free throws and shooting will hopefully improve with experience.

Yes, Konate hurt us. He's awful on D and not an offensive threat. This team wins 5 or more B10 games with any competent 5 play this year.
Mason, Dorsey, Murphy, and McBrayer will be solid next year and we'll actually win some B10 games.

If he's awful on defense, then what does that make King and Diedhiou?

As of 9:30 am today, Korzenowski had Dorsey transferring because he would get buried on the depth chart.

It's possible I guess depending on how he progresses and how good the talent really is next year

What was worse today: Bob Wenzel, the home cooking, or Joey King?

I think our best lineup right now is Dorsey, McBrayer, Mason, Murphy, and Buggs or Konate.

The young guys are all getting better and that's what matters to me. Mason has had at least 5 assists in 6 of the last 7 games. Has averaged 6.8 in the last 5 games. Still struggling with his outside shot but his confidence is back. Going to be a heck of a player the next two seasons. McBrayer has had at least 2 assists in the last 11 games and has averaged 6 per game in the last 3. Dorsey with a big breakout game. Hope this gives him confidence going forward. He might have gotten a little out of control with his trash talking for awhile but I love the intensity. This team needs that as long as he doesn't go too far. Although he has a long ways to go, even Konate has shown some improvement. I'm still hopeful he can continue to improve to be a solid contributor going forward. Need to get the ball to Murphy more often. It would help if he would stay out of foul trouble too.

We continue to get very little production from the older guys. King just isn't getting it done. Frustrating but at the same time, we won't really miss much next year.

Wenzel is just awful. He was in love with Indiana until the way end. They would hit a mid range jumper and he would yell "wow!". He was also wrong about the Indiana player hanging on the rim in the first half. Should have been a technical. The guy hung onto the rim while trying to grab the ball with his other hand. He didn't do it for safety reasons.

The first foul call on Murphy was a joke. He was literally just standing there and the Indiana player fell over him.

The effort continues to be good and I will give Pitino credit for that. It is easy to lose the team when you've lost this many games in a row and it doesn't appear he has. Moral victories suck. But all I care about the rest of the year is progress. Let the young guys continue to get a lot of experience and hopefully get better. Things like free throws and shooting will hopefully improve with experience.

Right on....I was going to mention the bold myself...how blatant.

I often think the announcers are looking at themselves in a mirror and not watching the game.

Yes, Konate hurt us. He's awful on D and not an offensive threat. This team wins 5 or more B10 games with any competent 5 play this year.
Mason, Dorsey, Murphy, and McBrayer will be solid next year and we'll actually win some B10 games.
I didn't see the awful defense with Konate as much as I saw it with Gaston. Man that kid has bad footwork.

Right on....I was going to mention the bold myself...how blatant.

I often think the announcers are looking at themselves in a mirror and not watching the game.

I think some are just afraid to admit that what they initially thought they saw might be wrong.

We won't see one man to man defense next year, except Wisconsin, and they will just foul us. Fitz coffee and hurt better be ready to knock down the long ball.

Konate hurts in that he isn't effective in the pick n roll except for clean up spots. End game situations teams just know to put pressure up top as there ain't no a in hell we are throwing the ball to bk in a pressure spot. Murph is too wide eyed at this point for those times and teams have been putting a solid defender on Joey so it's an easy switch.

Konate has to continue to develop his hands and a 15 foot jumper so we can slip that screen and pocket pass. It'll come. I have faith in bk.

He's much better defensively than we give him credit for, but he's gonna struggle vs smaller quicker bigs.
We just need some big to cover the free throw lane and block. We get those next year and the zone is busted.

I couldn't watch today. Final score makes me think we gave good effort and young guys are improving.

I feared that we were in a downward spiral after the back-to-back blow out losses to Northwestern and Nebraska, but the last few games give me a lot of hope for the future. I was especially encouraged by Kevin Dorsey's game today, but I thought all of the freshman played well. I loved the way the guards went to the basket. As a group, they need to work on free throws and Murphy on limiting his fouls, but I'm looking forward to the rest of the season and next year.

What i see as a really good thing is two guards and Murphy and perhaps even better is a far better effort defensively for 3 games in a row. Programs built from the bottom only succeed with outstanding defense as a core of what they do. Offense will always come and go but defense can be always and it travels well.

What i see as a really good thing is two guards and Murphy and perhaps even better is a far better effort defensively for 3 games in a row. Programs built from the bottom only succeed with outstanding defense as a core of what they do. Offense will always come and go but defense can be always and it travels well.

Good points. The defense has been a lot better as of late. Still some breakdowns from time to time but overall a lot better effort on the defensive side of the ball.

My vision is a day when we have the depth to be aggressive on D both in the half court and in our press. Then the game will open up and have flow to allow those athletes like Mason, McBrayer, Dorsey and Murphy to excel in what they do best...getting to the rim. Not to mention the incoming freshman and transfers. Excited to see how this plays out.

Good points. The defense has been a lot better as of late. Still some breakdowns from time to time but overall a lot better effort on the defensive side of the ball.
And the breakdowns I see are personnel, not scheme.

I'm not a fan of mr pitino's end game/stall offense. He has to figure something out to run other than high ball screen with 10 seconds or less

I couldn't watch today. Final score makes me think we gave good effort and young guys are improving.

You missed a good one--worth watching if you have access. Our players and coaching staff really showed something. To lead in Indiana with 2 min to go when Murphy, Buggs, and King only combine for 10 points and we only have 7 scholarship players, most of whom are very young--it was fantastic to watch. Our guards put on an absolute clinic on both sides of the ball. I can't remember the last time Ferrell was that invisible when I watched. To have two freshmen and a sophomore do that while combining for 50 points, 10 assists, and 0 turnovers... wow. It was incredible how many times they blew by their defender and either scored a layup or dished for a layup/dunk. Pretty impressive to do that while holding them to 2/18 on threes when they're shooting nearly 45% from three as a team. Our trio of quick guards and Coffey are going to give teams fits for years. Nobody could stay in front of those guys today. I don't know how many times the announcers said we were going through a layup line. It was so nice to see how little we were settling for low-percentage shots.

I think we ran out of gas a little at the end and let them off the hook the last few minutes with poor decision-making (mainly shot selection), but certainly this was another extremely encouraging game. The results will come with experience and simply having any depth whatsoever. Coaching staff certainly deserves some credit for today as well. We looked extremely prepared. Just didn't have an answer for Bryant (adjusted a bit in the second half), but that's a personnel thing that I think will be addressed next year with our transfers and recruiting class.

My vision is a day when we have the depth to be aggressive on D both in the half court and in our press. Then the game will open up and have flow to allow those athletes like Mason, McBrayer, Dorsey and Murphy to excel in what they do best...getting to the rim. Not to mention the incoming freshman and transfers. Excited to see how this plays out.

Agreed. I think we will see that starting next year and it will be on full display with Mason as a senior. I'm going to predict a Sweet 16 that year.

The two most important things are that the young players are clearly improving and that this team hasn't quit in Pitino.

Morris misses the game and we play the best we have since Clemson, coincidence or addition by subtraction?

Joey King is the only outside threat so he's being strongly contested and not getting the looks he was earlier in the year. Without open looks from 3, what does he bring to the table that the Freshmen don't?

Buggs leads the B1G is stepping out of bounds. He should send Carlos Morris a thank you note, because without Morris' atrocious defense, Buggs' atrocious defense would be even more obvious. I really, really hope Buggs gets his degree and moves on after this season.

Everyone can see now why Pitino wanted Dorsey so bad. He's an on-the-ball defender and pushes the pace. Fastest guy on the court most nights. I didn't watch the game but by all accounts he was better than Yogi and that's nothing to sneeze at.

McBrayer is coming into his own. Long, aggressive slasher and defensive minded guard. Lot's to like.

One thing not often mentioned about Nate Mason is that he is drawing the best defensive player on the other team every night this season, where as last year he was an unknown. There was a stretch where people started saying he was "regressing", which isn't true. He just had to figure out how to adjust to the stepped up pressure and he has.

Jordan Murphy is already good, but once he learns how to position himself, he'll be much better than just out jumping people for rebounds. As good as he is right now, there is much room for improvement regarding the little things like boxing out, putting hits on opposing players under the net, etc.

Bakary is getting better, figuring out how to play basketball, but it's not without ups and downs. Next year should be a really good spot for him, being able to sub for Lynch and not have to play the whole game.

I'd be surprised if Gaston is back next year. He'd be behind Lynch & Bakary, plus they're all in the same graduating class. If he is back, expect a red-shirt season.

Haven't seen much of Ahmad Gilbert but most accounts have him progressing and showing the skills necessary to play at a high level eventually.

Lynch will be a huge upgrade in terms of physicality and rebounding, but his Achilles heel is constant foul trouble.

Insiders have said that Fitzgerald is the best player on the team in practice, so that's encouraging. He may not be the best player on the team next season, but you have to think he'll be a major contributor.

Not sure what to expect from the incoming Freshmen? I'm trying to temper my expectations with Coffey, as he'll be a slightly built true Freshman in the B1G, but it's possible he could have an immediate impact. Hurt should be our best shooter the second he steps on campus, but again, tempering my expectations as he may have a hard time finding open looks initially. Curry is the one I have the lowest expectations for initially. Most fans want him to be an immediate impact player at PF, but he's not a true PF and it's usually tough for young bigs to adjust to the B1G.

Overall, the season is going according to plan in regards to player development & the future looks bright.

The two most important things are that the young players are clearly improving and that this team hasn't quit in Pitino. Morris misses the game and we play the best we have since Clemson, coincidence or addition by subtraction? Joey King is the only outside threat so he's being strongly contested and not getting the looks he was earlier in the year. Without open looks from 3, what does he bring to the table that the Freshmen don't? Buggs leads the B1G is stepping out of bounds. He should send Carlos Morris a thank you note, because without Morris' atrocious defense, Buggs' atrocious defense would be even more obvious. I really, really hope Buggs gets his degree and moves on after this season. Everyone can see now why Pitino wanted Dorsey so bad. He's an on-the-ball defender and pushes the pace. Fastest guy on the court most nights. I didn't watch the game but by all accounts he was better than Yogi and that's nothing to sneeze at. McBrayer is coming into his own. Long, aggressive slasher and defensive minded guard. Lot's to like. One thing not often mentioned about Nate Mason is that he is drawing the best defensive player on the other team every night this season, where as last year he was an unknown. There was a stretch where people started saying he was "regressing", which isn't true. He just had to figure out how to adjust to the stepped up pressure and he has. Jordan Murphy is already good, but once he learns how to position himself, he'll be much better than just out jumping people for rebounds. As good as he is right now, there is much room for improvement regarding the little things like boxing out, putting hits on opposing players under the net, etc. Bakary is getting better, figuring out how to play basketball, but it's not without ups and downs. Next year should be a really good spot for him, being able to sub for Lynch and not have to play the whole game. I'd be surprised if Gaston is back next year. He'd be behind Lynch & Bakary, plus they're all in the same graduating class. If he is back, expect a red-shirt season. Haven't seen much of Ahmad Gilbert but most accounts have him progressing and showing the skills necessary to play at a high level eventually. Lynch will be a huge upgrade in terms of physicality and rebounding, but his Achilles heel is constant foul trouble. Insiders have said that Fitzgerald is the best player on the team in practice, so that's encouraging. He may not be the best player on the team next season, but you have to think he'll be a major contributor. Not sure what to expect from the incoming Freshmen? I'm trying to temper my expectations with Coffey, as he'll be a slightly built true Freshman in the B1G, but it's possible he could have an immediate impact. Hurt should be our best shooter the second he steps on campus, but again, tempering my expectations as he may have a hard time finding open looks initially. Curry is the one I have the lowest expectations for initially. Most fans want him to be an immediate impact player at PF, but he's not a true PF and it's usually tough for young bigs to adjust to the B1G. Overall, the season is going according to plan in regards to player development & the future looks bright.

Agree 99.9%. Joey frustrates me too when he's not hitting shots. But I have to keep telling myself what he does to the D when he's in. Since he is basically automatic when left open teams can't sag off of him or let the help get too far away which opens up the paint much more for the driving of Mason and Dorsey. And right now those two are getting better and better. As that continues, teams will have to decide to help off of Joey to stop the drive or stay glued to Joey and hope their rim protection holds up all game.

You replace Joey with a less talented shooter and maybe the defense sags to the paint a little more.

Agree 99.9%. Joey frustrates me too when he's not hitting shots. But I have to keep telling myself what he does to the D when he's in. Since he is basically automatic when left open teams can't sag off of him or let the help get too far away which opens up the paint much more for the driving of Mason and Dorsey. And right now those two are getting better and better. As that continues, teams will have to decide to help off of Joey to stop the drive or stay glued to Joey and hope their rim protection holds up all game.

You replace Joey with a less talented shooter and maybe the defense sags to the paint a little more.

Very good point. He's also a guy who is where he is supposed to be in team defense. It's an unappreciated thing.

At the risk of sounding cynical, praising the team for "not quitting" doesn't do a lot for me. The minimum you should expect from a team - any team - is to play hard, hustle, and don't quit. That's step 1 on the 12-step basketball program.

I do see some cause for optimism, but there are still a lot of "ifs" going forward. How will Lynch and Fitzgerald adapt to the B1G? Will this year's FR continue to show improvement? Is there anyone on the roster who can be a consistent threat from the outside? How will next year's FR class fare as they play D1 hoops for the first time?

I've watched Coffey play a few games, and I see him more as a complimentary player - a key part in a D1 rotation - but not necessarily a guy who comes in and takes over games by himself.

So, my current assessment - situation not hopeless, but a lot of questions remain to be answered.

One would have to be blind to not see that the team is improving; however, I'm still not completely sold the team has improved as much as so many others on there believe. We seem to be meeting teams when they are in a little slump. Neither Purdue or Indiana were playing as well as they had been at other times in the season.

Before some of you go off let me say again - THE TEAM IS IMPROVING and has come a LONG WAY in just the past two or three weeks - and in these close games against the Purdue's and Indiana's of the conference, I think it's helped we've met them while those teams haven't been playing their best.

I'm not a fan of mr pitino's end game/stall offense. He has to figure something out to run other than high ball screen with 10 seconds or less

That's not a stall offense. That's the other team zoning us when we don't have a go to big man or reliable outside shooters.

One would have to be blind to not see that the team is improving; however, I'm still not completely sold the team has improved as much as so many others on there believe. We seem to be meeting teams when they are in a little slump. Neither Purdue or Indiana were playing as well as they had been at other times in the season.

Before some of you go off let me say again - THE TEAM IS IMPROVING and has come a LONG WAY in just the past two or three weeks - and in these close games against the Purdue's and Indiana's of the conference, I think it's helped we've met them while those teams haven't been playing their best.

Well which one is it?

That's not a stall offense. That's the other team zoning us when we don't have a go to big man or reliable outside shooters.

Whatever you want to call it, it's happened enough over the last couple years where we've spread the floor, gone one on one or high ball screen and gotten nothing. Sometimes vs zone others man to man. It's a definite weakness in pitinos coaching tool kit. Have we ever won a game at the buzzer off of a 20+second possession or out of a timeout?

I'm going back even before this year too. Often went one on one with lil dre to try and draw a foul or kick to hollins.

One would have to be blind to not see that the team is improving; however, I'm still not completely sold the team has improved as much as so many others on there believe. We seem to be meeting teams when they are in a little slump. Neither Purdue or Indiana were playing as well as they had been at other times in the season. Before some of you go off let me say again - THE TEAM IS IMPROVING and has come a LONG WAY in just the past two or three weeks - and in these close games against the Purdue's and Indiana's of the conference, I think it's helped we've met them while those teams haven't been playing their best.

Played Indiana at home after they blew out Ohio St by 25. Played Indiana on the road after they beat Illinois by 34 and Northwestern by 32 before losing a close game in OT at Wisky.

Before playing Purdue the Boilers beat Penn St by 17, Rutgers by 50, Ohio St by 11 and lost at Iowa. Neither Indiana or Purdue were in slumps.

Top Bottom