Official -- it's the Outback Bowl vs. Auburn

Thing is that this seems a lot like the year we went to the Citrus vs. Missouri:

-A tough SEC opponent
-Rare NYD Bowl appearance
-We didn't win, but we didn't lose by 35 either

Yet, after that bowl game, did it really make our team better? Did we suddenly get way better recruits and stuff? A lot of the positives I'm seeing people suggest, if we play them closely, should have happened with the Citrus bowl those years ago.

So, if the Gophers play Auburn close, will it really be big for the program or make a big difference?
Well, as has been pointed out above, about one year after that bowl game Minnesota inked a recruiting class that included Carter Coughlin, Antoine Winfield, Tyler Johnson, Seth Green Kamal Martin, Thomas Barber, Donnell Greene, Conner Olsen, Sam Schlueter and a few others. The class was only ranked 8th in the B1G, but at that time it was a step forward. I can't attribute directly to an 8-4 season and Citrus BOwl appearance, but I'm sure it didn't hurt.

I attended Wisconsin Tennessee in 2007. My experience FWIW. Stayed in St. Pete beach with relatives, so didn’t do a lot of team/bowl stuff and didn’t book accommodations. Bought tickets through UW athletic dept, then bought another pair from a broker when I realized how shitty the dept seats were. Drove up to Raymond James the day of the game and it was really nice out. Tried to sell 2nd pair of tickets walking in and couldn’t get $5 for them. The stadium had then an end zone plaza where you could get drinks and still watch the game. A great place to be before/after halftime. This, along with the parking lot are good spots to interact with the other teams fans. The UT fans were friendly. This was the first time I encountered SEC sectionalism as both sides would cheer when we heard a Big Ten rival was losing. By the end of the game I’d tired of it as was stoked when Michigan beat Tebow’s Gators in the Citrus (gasps from Tennessee side). Badgers lost a close one. The area was safe enough during and after the game but wasn’t near a ton of stuff. Mons Venus gentleman’s club was close by if you are into that kind of thing. Cuban neighborhood, Ybor City is a cool place to go for night life but can be sketchy around the edges (Uber instead of park and walk?). Side note: Ybor City gets some mention in The Hold Steady song Killer Parties.

In all, this is a great Jan 1 bowl in my opinion. Might be even more fun if you stay near the team, band, etc.

Good luck against the Tigers!

I mentioned Bo Nix being mediocre, which he is. But, he’s also a true freshman 5-star recruit (#33 recruit in the country), so he’ll probably get better. Let’s hope he waits until next year to make the jump. He can run a little, so they’ll have to watch that.

I attended Wisconsin Tennessee in 2007. My experience FWIW. Stayed in St. Pete beach with relatives, so didn’t do a lot of team/bowl stuff and didn’t book accommodations. Bought tickets through UW athletic dept, then bought another pair from a broker when I realized how shitty the dept seats were. Drove up to Raymond James the day of the game and it was really nice out. Tried to sell 2nd pair of tickets walking in and couldn’t get $5 for them. The stadium had then an end zone plaza where you could get drinks and still watch the game. A great place to be before/after halftime. This, along with the parking lot are good spots to interact with the other teams fans. The UT fans were friendly. This was the first time I encountered SEC sectionalism as both sides would cheer when we heard a Big Ten rival was losing. By the end of the game I’d tired of it as was stoked when Michigan beat Tebow’s Gators in the Citrus (gasps from Tennessee side). Badgers lost a close one. The area was safe enough during and after the game but wasn’t near a ton of stuff. Mons Venus gentleman’s club was close by if you are into that kind of thing. Cuban neighborhood, Ybor City is a cool place to go for night life but can be sketchy around the edges (Uber instead of park and walk?). Side note: Ybor City gets some mention in The Hold Steady song Killer Parties.

In all, this is a great Jan 1 bowl in my opinion. Might be even more fun if you stay near the team, band, etc.

Good luck against the Tigers!

Thanks for the rundown! I've been to the Tampa Bay area a few times and I'm thinking about going one more time for this special event in a few weeks.

I mentioned Bo Nix being mediocre, which he is. But, he’s also a true freshman 5-star recruit (#33 recruit in the country), so he’ll probably get better. Let’s hope he waits until next year to make the jump. He can run a little, so they’ll have to watch that.

Perfect name for a southern QB - Bo Nix. I wouldn't say he is mediocre. His passing stats aren't as good as Tanner's but few are and he's still very young. He can run and that is cause for concern when one considers how the Gophers fail to contain QBs when they tuck and run.

I'm seeing people post a bunch of things they think could benefit the program if they play Auburn close, especially since we are huge underdogs for the game.

If that's all true, why didn't the same thing happen after we played Missouri in the Citrus Bowl? I remember the TV ratings weren't great (basically someone said outside of MN and MO no one cared), but I don't see where all the positives of playing a top team came and losing came from. You could even argue that led to a downturn which eventually led us to having Fleck.

Dude, I’ve never seen so many negative posts by one person. You need some positivity in your life. Watch some Joel Osteen or something. Life is better when you’re not miserable.

Compared to the Rose Bowl...

Tampa's warmer. The sea and beach around it are warmer.
Tampa's less expensive.
The Gophers opponent is better (beat Oregon H2H on a neutral field)
Let's get it!
Sounds like you cooled on the Rose Bowl.

Seems like it's around $1,500 for flights and 3 nights in a decent hotel. Anyone finding cheaper?

Seems like it's around $1,500 for flights and 3 nights in a decent hotel. Anyone finding cheaper?
A redeye on Frontier Dec 30 and return on Jan 3...all non-stop...around $750 with taxes, surcharges, baggage fees, and my left...

Staying with friends in New Smyrna so that helps on the hotels side. Will drop a couple of hundred on a rental car.

From what I saw from Bo Nix, I was impressed.

He'll be hard to stop.

Playing Auburn should help promote the U some if we play them tough or win.
I would say moreso than any gains from playing Mizzou.

One is Auburn.
The other is Mizzou.

No one is impressed if you beat Mizzou.

Evidently everyone is impressed if you beat Auburn.

Not sure how Purdue did with a recruiting bump after playing Auburn last year.
I think they still had great recruiting under Brohm.

Isn't the Citrus technically 'slotted' higher?
I believe it is but it seems to me the Outback always gets more hype and coverage. Plus the Citrus was a weaker opponent after an 8 win season. 2 New Years Day bowls in 6 years. These are literally the glory years of Gopher Football post 1962.

Some people want to attribute way too much impact to the result of the bowl game. The important part is qualifying for the game and the exposure leading up to the game. I highly doubt a recruit is going to say "well I was going to consider Minnesota but they lost by too many points to Auburn so now I am not interested in them".

Win or lose, this game will provide some nice exposure for the program. Will be fun to see how we stack up against Auburn.

Looks like Winfield will be playing in the bowl game according to this video:

I believe it is but it seems to me the Outback always gets more hype and coverage. Plus the Citrus was a weaker opponent after an 8 win season. 2 New Years Day bowls in 6 years. These are literally the glory years of Gopher Football post 1962.
Oh I agree. I think they are pretty much equal tier, sans the Citrus is on ABC vs Outback on ESPN. It was moire of a reply to a statement that this is the 'best bowl' since 1962, which, 2015 was the Citrus. So, not really.

Update...got the plane tix, rental car, game tix, and hotel...ready to go bowling.

The Outback Bowl is a great bowl. Tampa is a great destination, and the game is played in a 20 year old NFL stadium.

The Citrus is in Orlando. The area is Disney and... Florida Man. The stadium is a dump built in 1936 and haphazardly used since then.

You should all be super happy with the Outback. Have a great time!

The Outback Bowl is a great bowl. Tampa is a great destination, and the game is played in a 20 year old NFL stadium.

The Citrus is in Orlando. The area is Disney and... Florida Man. The stadium is a dump built in 1936 and haphazardly used since then.

Thanks - I think the Hawks have played in the Outback more than anyone over the years. Hope you have a good time in your bowl as well!

Football aside, I would take Orlando over Tampa any day. Tampa seems really run down.

Comes across really well in the interview.

Not surprised by that at all. I am sure he got a lot of pointers from dad about how to handle media and interviews.

Even if he decides to go pro it makes sense that he would want to play in the game. One final chance to showcase his talents against a premier opponent. Still holding out hope he decides to come back though.

Top Bottom