Official -- it's the Outback Bowl vs. Auburn

Compared to the Rose Bowl...

Tampa's warmer. The sea and beach around it are warmer.
Tampa's less expensive.
The Gophers opponent is better (beat Oregon H2H on a neutral field)
Let's get it!

That sounds great, but nobody goes swimming off Tampa in January, the shipping lanes get in the way. Nobody swims off the St. Pete beaches in winter, either. Tampa is a fun city! If Gopher fans don't mind staying a little further south, the water off Anna Maria Island is shallow and can be warm enough for swimming. Excellent wide beaches.

Still dreaming of going to Pasadena in the near future!

Isn't the Citrus technically 'slotted' higher?

Sure, but there isn't all too much difference. Same day, 1.5 hours drive apart, usually the same conference opponent, and with the "recent match up" rules, the difference is close to zilch. The later kick off is a nice benefit for the Citrus, Tampa for most folks the much nicer location.

Will be exciting to watch! I am excited to see what our coordinators can cook up with a month of prep and a season's worth of film!

Look for Auburn to try to stop the run and pressure Morgan on pass plays. In our two losses that was the recipe for success for our opponents. The weather will be nicer than both those games so I am hopeful we see the passing game that showed up vs Purdue rather than the one we saw vs Iowa or Wisconsin.

Outback Bowl beach day will be December 30th in Clearwater. Prep rally on the beach.
How do you beat that!!

Sure, but there isn't all too much difference. Same day, 1.5 hours drive apart, usually the same conference opponent, and with the "recent match up" rules, the difference is close to zilch. The later kick off is a nice benefit for the Citrus, Tampa for most folks the much nicer location.
The Citrus and Outback have the same kick off time. Citrus’ biggest advantage is that it’s broadcasted on ABC as opposed to ESPN.

The Citrus and Outback have the same kick off time. Citrus’ biggest advantage is that it’s broadcasted on ABC as opposed to ESPN.
Oh, wow, thanks! There used to be an 1 or so difference in the kickoffs, I didn't know they are now at the same time.

The problem is that I see some fans saying to bring on Auburn. Yet, if we get destroyed, in a little over three weeks, it won’t be so fun

Bet if I told you that we would win ten games this year.....you'd have said......lucky to make a bowl game.

Must piss you off that the Gophers had a good year and are playing a good opponent.

The problem is that I see some fans saying to bring on Auburn. Yet, if we get destroyed, in a little over three weeks, it won’t be so fun

Well you see the problem with going 10-2 is that you are likely to get paired up against a tough team in a bowl game....kind of how it works.

But hey, on the plus side you can point back to these posts and tell us all "I told you so" if things don't go well against Auburn. Foolishly I will keep believing we have a shot of being able to hang with them.

Auburn beat Alabama AND the PAC 12 champion.

Compared to the Rose Bowl...

Tampa's warmer. The sea and beach around it are warmer.
Tampa's less expensive.
The Gophers opponent is better (beat Oregon H2H on a neutral field)
Let's get it!
The Jerry Dome is hardly a neutral field. Every year the southern team in that game has at least an 80/20 advantage.

I'm all in on Auburn

Unfortunately this is figuratively and not literally. I've been to five bowl games, but my family travel plans will prevent me from making it to Tampa. For any of you on the fence about going... GO! You will love it, you will have a great time. Don't think about the money (until later when the credit card bill comes). Just GO!

Row the Boat.
Ski-U-Mah.
Go Gophers!

Yeah, might as well go 5-7 every year to make sure we don’t have to play somebody like Auburn

What problem? Maybe they'll win, maybe they'll lose. That's why they play the game.

I wanted Bama. Or Georgia. Or Florida.
But Auburn is a great opponent too.

Sun Country has direct flights to Sarasota which isn’t too far from Tampa. Only issue is limited days they fly there.

It occurs to this observer that couple of brave Minnesota souls could actually get a rowboat and some oars and starting heading to the game down the Mighty Mississip. Just think about camping on a riverbank every night. Nightly calls of encouragement from the Fleckster hizself maybe even ESPN ALL ACCESS. Maybe the BTN would do a B1G show episode from your boat. Something to ponder.

Thing is that this seems a lot like the year we went to the Citrus vs. Missouri:

-A tough SEC opponent
-Rare NYD Bowl appearance
-We didn't win, but we didn't lose by 35 either

Yet, after that bowl game, did it really make our team better? Did we suddenly get way better recruits and stuff? A lot of the positives I'm seeing people suggest, if we play them closely, should have happened with the Citrus bowl those years ago.

So, if the Gophers play Auburn close, will it really be big for the program or make a big difference?

Thing is that this seems a lot like the year we went to the Citrus vs. Missouri:

-A tough SEC opponent

Yet, after that bowl game, did it really make our team better? Did we suddenly get way better recruits and stuff? A lot of the positives I'm seeing people suggest, if we play them closely, should have happened with the Citrus bowl those years ago.

So, if the Gophers play Auburn close, will it really be big for the program or make a big difference?

It should do more to help legitimize the season than getting blown out would.

-A tough SEC opponent

Good Lord, can't you people just enjoy a tremendous season without the woe is us attitude? This is why we've sucked for 50 years.

-A tough SEC opponent

Yes. Brick by brick. Making a New Years Bowl was a hurdle to climb. Now we've won ten games. Another hurdle.

Winning ten games this year was the accomplishment. A New Years Bowl against a good SEC opponent is a bonus. Are you too stupid to understand these things?

It occurs to this observer that couple of brave Minnesota souls could actually get a rowboat and some oars and starting heading to the game down the Mighty Mississip. Just think about camping on a riverbank every night. Nightly calls of encouragement from the Fleckster hizself maybe even ESPN ALL ACCESS. Maybe the BTN would do a B1G show episode from your boat. Something to ponder.
Are you aware the river doesn’t go to Florida?

-A tough SEC opponent

I am honestly struggling to figure out what your point is.

I am honestly struggling to figure out what your point is.

I'm seeing people post a bunch of things they think could benefit the program if they play Auburn close, especially since we are huge underdogs for the game.

If that's all true, why didn't the same thing happen after we played Missouri in the Citrus Bowl? I remember the TV ratings weren't great (basically someone said outside of MN and MO no one cared), but I don't see where all the positives of playing a top team came and losing came from. You could even argue that led to a downturn which eventually led us to having Fleck.

Crazy. We are a good Football Team. Just put in for two tickets and have Hotel reservations. I also stand at the games.

Top Bottom