Official -- it's the Outback Bowl vs. Auburn

Thing is that this seems a lot like the year we went to the Citrus vs. Missouri:

-A tough SEC opponent
-Rare NYD Bowl appearance
-We didn't win, but we didn't lose by 35 either

Yet, after that bowl game, did it really make our team better? Did we suddenly get way better recruits and stuff? A lot of the positives I'm seeing people suggest, if we play them closely, should have happened with the Citrus bowl those years ago.

So, if the Gophers play Auburn close, will it really be big for the program or make a big difference?
Hopefully next year the Gophers can get back to playing an early December bowl game in Detroit.

I'm seeing people post a bunch of things they think could benefit the program if they play Auburn close, especially since we are huge underdogs for the game.

If that's all true, why didn't the same thing happen after we played Missouri in the Citrus Bowl? I remember the TV ratings weren't great (basically someone said outside of MN and MO no one cared), but I don't see where all the positives of playing a top team came and losing came from. You could even argue that led to a downturn which eventually led us to having Fleck.
We went from a class ranked in the 60s in 2015 (most of which were recruited before the bowl game) to one in the 40s in 2016 (with a full year to recruit following the bowl game). That 2016 class are this years’ seniors and RS juniors. I have no way to prove the bowl game did or didn’t have much of an effect, but that’s a decent bump.

I'm counting 19 guys on the roster from the far southeast (GA, FL, LA). This game vs Auburn in Florida could be pretty decent for recruiting.

Auburn fans aren’t happy with this. They were hoping for a more prestigious matchup. Sound familiar?

Auburn is the home team, so I hope we don't show up in all-whites. They lost four games this year: to LSU (by 3), Georgia (by 7), Clemson (by 8) and Florida (by 11). But they beat Alabama and Oregon. That's six teams in and out of the Top Ten on their schedule, and they beat Georgia Southern, 41-7.

Auburn fans aren’t happy with this. They were hoping for a more prestigious matchup. Sound familiar?

Yes, I dropped by one of their forums to snoop. They weren't upset about playing us. They were mad that they didn't get selected before Alabama.

Auburn is the home team, so I hope we don't show up in all-whites. They lost four games this year: to LSU (by 3), Georgia (by 7), Clemson (by 8) and Florida (by 11). But they beat Alabama and Oregon. That's six teams in and out of the Top Ten on their schedule, and they beat Georgia Southern, 41-7.

Auburn didn’t play Georgia Southern this year.

They didn't play Clemson. Perhaps you are thinking of Texas A&M. They lost 3 games. They also didn't play Georgia Southern. Were did you get your information?

The problem is that I see some fans saying to bring on Auburn. Yet, if we get destroyed, in a little over three weeks, it won’t be so fun
Bring it on. Measuring stick game. I like Gophs chances.

The weather will be nicer than both those games so I am hopeful we see the passing game that showed up vs Purdue rather than the one we saw vs Iowa or Wisconsin.

Tanner certainly was good enough against Iowa: 25 of 36 for 368 yards with no interceptions. The problem was no passing touchdowns. Bigger problems were that Iowa was able to sack him numerous times and they completely shut down our running game.

Last edited:

Auburn did beat bama, so...

They did but Alabama racked up a lot more yards. The difference between Alabama and Auburn is like the difference between us and Penn State. We may have beaten Penn State but most coaches would have more concerns about playing Penn State than us.

They did but Alabama racked up a lot more yards. The difference between Alabama and Auburn is like the difference between us and Penn State. We may have beaten Penn State but most coaches would have more concerns about playing Penn State than us.
OK...you do realize Auburn is ranked higher than Bama, right?

Holy Sh!t. My home town! I've been dreaming of this. ...I'm scheduling a week off of work for drinking and blacking out!

GOD BLESS!!!!

I see touchdownvikings trying to increase his posts as quickly as possible. Enjoy yourself...

Do the Big Ten teams split all of the payouts by each bowl game among all of the Big teams? The payout for this game is $6.4 million though not sure that is the total or for each team.
We get to cover expenses, and I think that pretty much eats up everything. The full marching band will travel (which I think is great) along with a lot of VIPs and such. Basically, the team can spend it on themselves or give it away to 13 of their rivals.

I'm guessing that their two DL stars will skip the game to focus on preping for the NFL combines: DT Derrick Brown (1st round pick?) and LT Prince Tega Wanogho (2nd round pick?). I'm also guessing we'll be playing without Winfield and Johnson. No inside info on any of this, just guessing...

Yes. You will have to change rivers at some point. Or go to Nawlins and travel by land the rest of the way.
Yep. Many boats that cruise around Lake Michigan in the summer travel south by riverway. Cut over from the Mississippi to the Tennessee and weave their way to the Gulf. It's shorter than going down the Mississippi to the Gulf and the waters are calmer.

Ranking the 39 bowl games in 2019 from best to worst

Sam CooperandNick Bromberg
December 8, 2019

7. Outback Bowl: No. 12 Auburn (9-3) vs. No. 18 Minnesota (10-2) — Jan. 1, 1 p.m. (ESPN)
Minnesota spent the last few weeks of the season in the top half of the CFP rankings until losing to Wisconsin to end the season. It should be fun to see how Minnesota schemes against Auburn’s great defensive front to get the passing game going to wide receivers Rashod Bateman and Tyler Johnson. A win would give Minnesota its best season since 1904 while Auburn is gunning for a 10-win season for the second time in the last three years.

I'm guessing that their two DL stars will skip the game to focus on preping for the NFL combines: DT Derrick Brown (1st round pick?) and LT Prince Tega Wanogho (2nd round pick?). I'm also guessing we'll be playing without Winfield and Johnson. No inside info on any of this, just guessing...

I hope you’re right about the DL stars sitting out. My understanding is they can be thrown on, and their QB is pretty mediocre.

I did a quick check of stats.

Minnesota is ranked higher in total offense, pass offense, points per game, total defense, and pass defense.

Auburn is ranked higher in rush defense, points against, and rush offense.

Top Bottom