***OFFICIAL INDIANA AT MINNESOTA IN-GAME THREAD!!!***

From 3, he was shooting 3-13 (23%) this year coming into tonight's game... and that's without taking any shots in Big Ten play.
After tonight shooting 0-6, he sits at 16%.

that's terrible.
Not much worse than carrington

Not to start an argument, but there is a diffenerce between punching nuts, and being strong. Ola is strong, Bradley was not.

Bradley intentionally hurt people, Ola will just punish people.
That rib shot on the Michigan cutter (or whoever the guy was cutting through the lane a few games a go) was an absolute cheap shot…not a strong play, so Ola also does cheap shots

No complaints tonight, all seven guys played their hearts out. They'll get a couple, three or four wins if they can consistently find the effort to be on the floor for loose balls and make the effort plays. Just needed a couple more shots to fall tonight. Hopefully JOJ okay and we can get a couple guys back for Saturday
they will not get 3-4 wins the rest of the way but agree the effort was there and hopefully they can bring that into every game

was a really solid game and actually was fun to watch as the guys played their tails off

Cooper 0-12 in his last 2 games at 3. we will see if that is the new norm for him. its too bad as if he would have even made 2 in each of the past two games we probably win both.

was a really solid game and actually was fun to watch as the guys played their tails off

Cooper 0-12 in his last 2 games at 3. we will see if that is the new norm for him. its too bad as if he would have even made 2 in each of the past two games we probably win both.
The effort level last night was really impressive to watch. They were going after every loose ball and playing with an intensity that has been missing at times this season.

It actually reminded me a lot of last season when we were clearly outmanned but played hard and made a lot of games interesting. I am sure Indiana was not expecting that kind of battle given who we were missing last night.

Ola Joseph is going to be a player. He needs to see the court better but he is confident and tough and his shot isn't broken, he just needs to keep working on it. This off season has to be him and Payne becoming consistent threats from 10-12 feet. Payne has to learn to drive Ola Joseph already has that.
It was an entertaining game and a fun night out, and I'd like to say that keeping it close under these circumstances was thrilling and satisfying, and it was, but the truth is that I'm just deflated. And I think my season ticket mates were even more down than I am. That's not to take anything away from the team's efforts, which were really something. I guess I sometimes wish I weren't so invested, especially in light of this program's place in the world. I suspect people like Souhan would say that, considering the program's history, why do I think I have the right to be disappointed with a loss?
Romans 5:3-5
...... Not only so, but we[c] also glory in our sufferings, because we know that suffering produces perseverance; 4 perseverance, character; and character, hope. 5 And hope does not put us to shame......

You completely missed the point. Of course we have some veteran presence. The players making these mistakes that Weber and I were referring to are often the freshman playing in crunch time. There have repeatedly been games in the last few moments where someone like Henley or JOJ didn’t box out or something similar that cost us. We aren’t the only team playing young guys (Purdue for example), so hopefully we can get coached up and figure some of these “little” details before Battle/Cooper graduate. I’m hoping it’s sooner rather than later.
JOJ was almost put in a cant win situation on that last box out on the missed free throw. He was smaller height wise and poundage wise vs the Indiana guy so it was always going to be an issue.

That was a fun one last night but I had fun watching the game from tip off until about the TJD rebound.

The good:
(1) They really played hard. I know it should be a given but some teams would have folded before the game even started.
(2) Battle looked like old Battle. I'm beating a dead horse here but I think it's because he was playing so many minutes at the 4. It was kind of shocking to see Indiana keep a post player on him for so long but the Indiana coach was pretty bad all night.
(3) Thompson. Don't worry, he'll be on both. At his best, he is a an active 7 footer. He deflects passes, gets his hand on a lot of passes, and I think could have a carved out role on this team - not as a cornerstone or anything, but just a high energy big off the bench. He made a difference tonight. It wasn't just luck Indiana was missing some bunnies in close.
(4) I hated that it was against us, but TJD is pretty fun to watch. I'm glad the Indiana coach stopped running so many plays for him because he easily could have had 35-25 last night.
(5) Henley is his old self on defense. He was pestering folks and it makes a big difference.

The bad:
(1) Ola-Joseph really struggled last night. I think he does have a future and he's a good enough athlete that the sky is the limit but he is going to need to be a high energy player (think like a bigger way more athletic Stamper). At his best, he flashes that type of game but last night he was off. He might have been injured too.
(2) Thompson. It's hard for me rip on the guy because he goes from playing 2 minutes per game to 35 but he had a couple gimmes at the hoop that he just couldn't finish with any strength.
(3) Officiating sucked. I'm not blaming them for the loss but it was tough to watch.

JOJ was almost put in a cant win situation on that last box out on the missed free throw. He was smaller height wise and poundage wise vs the Indiana guy so it was always going to be an issue.
BS. He had position. He should have gotten the ball with any effort and maybe draw a foul too.

Weber is absolutely correct. We are so young it leads to a lot of little mistakes down the stretch of games (ie blocking out or not pinching down on free throws). Hopefully that means we can flip the switch at some point and start making those plays (even if it’s not til next season).
Tired of hearing “we are so young”. Everyone else plays first year players and they win. Technically they are no longer Freshmen after having been with the program for 9 months.

That was a fun one last night but I had fun watching the game from tip off until about the TJD rebound.

The good:
(1) They really played hard. I know it should be a given but some teams would have folded before the game even started.
(2) Battle looked like old Battle. I'm beating a dead horse here but I think it's because he was playing so many minutes at the 4. It was kind of shocking to see Indiana keep a post player on him for so long but the Indiana coach was pretty bad all night.
(3) Thompson. Don't worry, he'll be on both. At his best, he is a an active 7 footer. He deflects passes, gets his hand on a lot of passes, and I think could have a carved out role on this team - not as a cornerstone or anything, but just a high energy big off the bench. He made a difference tonight. It wasn't just luck Indiana was missing some bunnies in close.
(4) I hated that it was against us, but TJD is pretty fun to watch. I'm glad the Indiana coach stopped running so many plays for him because he easily could have had 35-25 last night.
(5) Henley is his old self on defense. He was pestering folks and it makes a big difference.

The bad:
(1) Ola-Joseph really struggled last night. I think he does have a future and he's a good enough athlete that the sky is the limit but he is going to need to be a high energy player (think like a bigger way more athletic Stamper). At his best, he flashes that type of game but last night he was off. He might have been injured too.
(2) Thompson. It's hard for me rip on the guy because he goes from playing 2 minutes per game to 35 but he had a couple gimmes at the hoop that he just couldn't finish with any strength.
(3) Officiating sucked. I'm not blaming them for the loss but it was tough to watch.
Agreed it was amazing that they didn't have a smaller quicker guy on Battle the entire night, which is much tougher on him. And Henley played well and showed some of the skills that will make him successful here-he plays good defense, is long and quick, and he is still one of the only players on this team that can get past people off of a dribble. And I have to say Thompson surprised me. While he had about 4-5 shots blocked and showed his lack of strength on a number of defensive plays, he took care of the ball and actually made a jump hook! I had to rerun it and watch it again to make sure it happened!

With Garcia and Payne healthy- who would you play him instead of?
Exactly. Even if he adds 20lbs he likely doesn’t see the floor next year unless everyone is injured again. The only way he doesn’t transfer after this season is if he absolutely loves it here. Maybe by the time he is a senior he can be an adequate third string guy.

Tired of hearing “we are so young”. Everyone else plays first year players and they win. Technically they are no longer Freshmen after having been with the program for 9 months.

Plus we only played two freshman last night. Everyone wants the one sophomore who played to leave after this season. The other four have all been in college for 4+ years.

Indiana played 3 freshman and a sophomore last night. One freshman started and played 38 min, another had 10 pts in 12 minutes off the bench.

Didn't watch last night. Did it come down to the very end? Did we have a good chance to win? Thx!

Didn't watch last night. Did it come down to the very end? Did we have a good chance to win? Thx!
Fun game, in it until the end, despite playing really shorthanded.

Should not have been a foul
The Michigan player, I believe it was Mayer, has been nominated for an Oscar for that performance. He even stayed in character while writhing around on the floor. A minute later, after the call, he is laughing and jiving with his buds on the bench.

Here is what I saw last night. I saw an Indiana team that is bad except one player. I thought the Gophers even down guys, out-talented them at at least 2 positions.

The boys played hard. Defensively, they are getting better at the zone. Their offense though, was terrible. Lot of tossing it around the perimeter nothing going towards the basket, then chuck a tough shot with the clock running down. One HUGE positive though. They have not been turning over the basketball. This is a big development and is allowing them to stay in games with hustle alone.

Battle looked good in the second half, but part of me thinks when we bring in some more talent, we will be better off when he leaves as he just takes lots of bad shots.

Here is what I saw last night. I saw an Indiana team that is bad except one player. I thought the Gophers even down guys, out-talented them at at least 2 positions.

The boys played hard. Defensively, they are getting better at the zone. Their offense though, was terrible. Lot of tossing it around the perimeter nothing going towards the basket, then chuck a tough shot with the clock running down. One HUGE positive though. They have not been turning over the basketball. This is a big development and is allowing them to stay in games with hustle alone.
Only 5 last night 😃
Battle looked good in the second half, but part of me thinks when we bring in some more talent, we will be better off when he leaves as he just takes lots of bad shots.

Two freshmen making strides. We need Henleys ability to drive the lane. He is the only one with the quickness to accomplish this. That opens up the perimeter for better looks. JOJ has a little junk yard dog in him. That toughness edge is not usually seen in a freshman. I think that will rub off on others and make this a grittier team.

BS. He had position. He should have gotten the ball with any effort and maybe draw a foul too.
TJD is 6’9” and I would guess 240 and is going to play in the nba.

JOJ is 6’7” and 215 and might be playing in the MIAC in 2 years.

Sometimes the guy you’re going against is just better than you are.

Plus it was a perfect miss as it just rocketed off the front of the iron.

You should be behind bars.

All JOJ had to do was get his feet off the floor and he would have gotten his hands on the ball. He’s strong enough to secure that rebound and either TJD lets go or he gets an over the back call.

And no JOJ won’t be playing in the MIAC in a couple years.

Him shooting 0-6 from 3 and being a weakling with the ball too...
He's having a bad year but he shot 40% from the 3 last year, it's not like he is a hopeless shooter. Gotta be tough the way he is being used or not being used this year, hope he turns it around because he can contribute if he starts shooting the ball.

2nd year coach and no one on the floor that's been here more than two years. That's all around young. Next year is the true test. Problem is the lack of depth and development due to injury. Young guys would be developing faster if Fox and Ihnen were on the floor in practice and games.

He's having a bad year but he shot 40% from the 3 last year, it's not like he is a hopeless shooter. Gotta be tough the way he is being used or not being used this year, hope he turns it around because he can contribute if he starts shooting the ball.
I'd rather he not have taken 6, but I can't fault the last one. It was wide open. If he makes it, we likely win the game.

Top Bottom