***OFFICIAL ILLINOIS AT MINNESOTA IN-GAME THREAD!!!***

You know, it’s lost what the defense did in this game. Held Illinois to 265 yards after giving up 14 points in the first quarter. They played their ass off after that. Gave us a chance to win the game and this offense can’t come up with anything under Sanford.
Yes, but Illinois went with running clock. They rarely if ever threw the ball. We loaded the box and got after the run some. Yes, the defense gave us a chance, but I can't get the first few drives out of my head where they just did whatever.

I wonder if Sanford doesn't understand the RPO offense that that's why we've gotten away from it?
That will be my guess. He cannot also change QB as TM is PJ trusted QB. So he is perpetually trying to peg square into a round hole. That is one the hallmark of bad coaching.He needs different QBs to run his scheme to make it work. But I haven't seen his schemes work anywhere including his time at ND, Utah State. Folks he cant even work with Jordan Love, a true NFL talent.
Don't tell me Rossi suddenly found good players after Rob Smith was fired. He just know what works and what doesn't.

This is how it's always gonna be fellas... when you rely on your assistant coaches. Talent (recruiting) only goes so far. We are more talented than Illinois. Zero creativity on offense. Zero balls to take out Morgan when he's rattled. Defense settled down, they only scored 14 points and beat us easily... not good.
More talented???? Are you kidding? Name a position

So does one with better vision and a better arm. Someone's in single coverage. Find him. Hit him!
Yes. Armchair coaching, here, but I’ve seen plenty of Morgan to know that he is easily rattled by pass rush and gets happy feet and tunnel vision from it. And given that, it’s pretty clear by halftime of any game (heck, by end of 1st Q sometimes) if someone else - anyone else - would give the Gophers a better chance at winning the game. The thing that chaps my ass is that the coaches are completely unwilling to even try.

Last edited:

I was planning for a somewhat easy win.........and then watching Iowa and Wisconsin and cheering like hell for Rutgers and Northwestern.

I now give two shits about either game.
Are we related? I feel the same way. It can change if they show up against the rest of the enemies, but if this the best they have, I can't honestly cheer for this OC and at a higher level, I can't agree with PJ if he keeps him.

Always cheer for the boys, never leave them, but as entertainment, this coaching is not entertaining.

Yes. Armchair coaching, here, but I’ve seen plenty of Morgan to know that he is easily rattled by pass rush and gets happy feet and tunnel vision from it. And given that, it’s pretty clear by halftime of any game (heck, by end of 1st Q sometimes) if someone else - anyone else - would give the Gophers a better chance at winning the game. The thing that chaps my ass is that the coaches are completely unwilling to even try.
Fleck can’t find or coach a QB! Ndsu has two nfl starters in the last 3 years!!! He’s a blowhard

Sam Schlueter has been brutal....absolutely brutal
Hey PJ I sure didn’t see offensive linemen that will be drafted. In fact, I didn’t anyone that should be considered for All Conference.

Too much hoopla during the week: the #20 in the Playoff poll, the new coaching contract, getting lots of love from BTN analysts, etc. Gophers needed something new for this game and Fleck went with the same old, which didn't work, and we had a Bowling Green rush all day on Morgan, so no passing game to fall back on. Basically, Gophers were outcoached and team was flat on offense. 7-5?
Win at Indiana, it's 8-4 and a bowl.

The Gopher defense was more like "fine" today than "good". This was about the exact same offensive output Illinois put up last week against Rutgers. The Illini offense is simply very poor. The Gopher defense couldn't force a turnover today and more critically couldn't get off the field late. Not getting a 3 and out in that situation was disappointing...allowing a 3rd and 4 conversion by simply running the ball for a 2nd 1st down was demoralizing. Obviously the game was lost by the offense and special teams, but there has to be at least some concern that a team that wanted to play physical run the ball football (in the mold of Iowa/Wisconsin) was able to do just that both in the first half to get a lead and again to salt the game away late.

That will be my guess. He cannot also change QB as TM is PJ trusted QB. So he is perpetually trying to peg square into a round hole. That is one the hallmark of bad coaching.He needs different QBs to run his scheme to make it work. But I haven't seen his schemes work anywhere including his time at ND, Utah State. Folks he cant even work with Jordan Love, a true NFL talent.
Don't tell me Rossi suddenly found good players after Rob Smith was fired. He just know what works and what doesn't.
So then why the hell did PJ hire this guy.

The Gopher defense was more like "fine" today than "good". This was about the exact same offensive output Illinois put up last week against Rutgers. The Illini offense is simply very poor. The Gopher defense couldn't force a turnover today and more critically couldn't get off the field late. Not getting a 3 and out in that situation was disappointing...allowing a 3rd and 4 conversion by simply running the ball for a 2nd 1st down was demoralizing. Obviously the game was lost by the offense and special teams, but there has to be at least some concern that a team that wanted to play physical run the ball football (in the mold of Iowa/Wisconsin) was able to do just that both in the first half to get a lead and again to salt the game away late.
Yeah they gave up 14 points to a team that averages 17 points a game and ranks dead last.
The offense on the other hand scored 7 points when they average 26 a game. Both of these stats are after the game today.

to think that any football team is gonna pitch a shut out against another big ten team is ridiculous the whole thing is to get to 21 pints and hope your defense holds.

Last edited:

Iowa, Indiana, Wisconsin leaves Gophers 7 -5. At least they are bowl qualified.

That's what we all are asking from day 0 according to PJ lango. Someone can dig out the old threads in which many people stated that it wasn't a good hire from the getgo.
So does that bring into question his thing of coordinators. Rob smith was not exactly a great hire. The Rob Wenger has not exactly turned the special teams unit around. They have more scholarship kickers than you can shake a stick at. Not to mention they always run punt return and never return the punt. There also does not appear to be any rhyme of reason for when a punt will be caught vs. when it will be allowed to drop. Then you look at the field goal team ain’t exactly a trusted unit either.

you bring in an Aussie style punter and then make him punt traditionally which appears he struggles with.

So does that bring into question his thing of coordinators. Rob smith was not exactly a great hire. The Rob Wenger has not exactly turned the special teams unit around. They have more scholarship kickers than you can shake a stick at. Not to mention they always run punt return and never return the punt. There also does not appear to be any rhyme of reason for when a punt will be caught vs. when it will be allowed to drop. Then you look at the field goal team ain’t exactly a trusted unit either.

you bring in an Aussie style punter and then make him punt traditionally which appears he struggles with.
All of these are good questions. PJ did made some stupid hires here. But he did also made two incredible hires. Kirk and Rossi. It is not coincidence that 2019 was the year we had both. Rob Smith, Sanford, Rob Wenger are not good. Not being able to find a kicker at year 5 is abit much. It is not year one or two. We have been spoiled with Kill/Clay years on special teams. Jay Sawvel was a very good coach. Rob Wenger not so much. He did get better this year. But still very inconsistent. I don't think they have good personal to return punt. It is also very difficult thing to do mentally. May be the team just don't have someone who can do this in reliable way. One word to describe special team is inconsistent. If PJ had these three Rob Smith, Sanford, Rob Wenger as DC, OC, and SpC at the same time, he will be packing his bags.

Yes, but Illinois went with running clock. They rarely if ever threw the ball. We loaded the box and got after the run some. Yes, the defense gave us a chance, but I can't get the first few drives out of my head where they just did whatever.
Our D left their RB # 2- that also could be the new name of our O, run for 4-5 yards almost every time he touched the ball. It was surprising to see our total yards be so close to theirs. We gave them incredible field position a few times and stalled in the red zone. It was ugly football and surprising we didn't go to the slants , TE plays and short routes earlier when they kept stacking the box.

Wrong. Mobile QBs solve the problem of aggressive rush
Mobile QB gets outside the pocket and then what? No receivers to throw to. He could pick up a few yards with his legs at best, but that won't move the ball downfield consistently!

As crazy as it is to say it right now we still 100% control our own destiny. And the West has been so screwy this year, anything can happen.
Anything can, indeed. But although the battle is not always to the strong, that's the way to bet.

Top Bottom