***OFFICIAL GOPHERS VS MIZZOU CITRUS BOWL IN-GAME THREAD!!!***

I'm not sure how anyone can think that.

If you don't think the Gophers were the better team, in a physical sense, I don't know what to tell you.

Their QB, who is a known scrambler, played on 1 leg over half the game, and their best receiver was in and out. That alone gives the Gophers advantage.

Again, not sure what you were watching. Gophers physically dominated the game for 3.5 quarters, but couldn't stop making mental mistakes (dropped balls, fumbles, stupid special teams plays) and made horrible coaching decisions.

If Missouri was physically superior, they would've won by 30 today, and we wouldn't have had a shot with 8 minutes left in the game.

I'm not sure how anyone could think otherwise, unless you're a mizzou fan.

If you don't think the Gophers were the better team, in a physical sense, I don't know what to tell you.

Their QB played in 1 leg over half the game, and their best receiver was in and out. That alone gives the Gophers advantage.

Again, not sure what you were watching. Gophers physically dominates the game for 3.5 quarters, but couldn't stop making mental mistakes (dropped balls, fumbles, stupid special teams plays) and made horrible coaching decisions.

If Missouri was physically superior, they would've won by 30 today, and we wouldn't have had a shot with 8 minutes left in the game.

I'm not sure hoe anyone could think otherwise, unless you're a mizzou fan.

3.5 quarters? They physically dominated us in the 2nd half. It wasn't even close.

You and facts. You said MO was an inferior team all around. MO has as much if not more talent on their roster. You get called out and 'twist' your argument. It is now your calling card. Welcome to my ignore list - you are in rare company.

I do think we were the better team, but we made too many mistakes to win. That's what it comes down to. Missouri had a few early on but played a solid game from there on out. Gotta give Missouri and their coaches credit. Their fake ST plays were ballsy and paid off.

I guess we can look at the bright side. At least we didn't have our colons ripped out through our mouths like Baylor.

You truly are an inferior all around mind

And you're a complete ******.

Again, if you couldn't see that tho Gophers had the advantage physically, then you have no idea what you are watching, and have zero credibility. Therefore, it is useless to debate these things with you.

Again, get a clue you nitwit.

I guess we can look at the bright side. At least we didn't have our colons ripped out through our mouths like Baylor.

That ending actually made me forget about our game. I don't even care about the loss anymore, lol. That was awesome.

He was out coached, but I don't think it was that badly called of a game. Defense played great if you take away a couple long runs. I wonder what the result is if Leidner doesn't cough a couple up and the punt fumble doesn't happen

But that's the thing; you can't take out those long runs. They happened and cherry picking a play or two here and there and saying "if we had just done this or done that, we would have been okay" is the same tired stuff we've been subjected to year after year. The defense gave up more than 300 yards on the ground. That's not good defense no matter how you slice it. Bottom line is that the coaching staff failed big time in this game, as did the players.

Again, if you couldn't see that tho Gophers had the advantage physically, then you have no idea what you are watching, and have zero credibility. Therefore, it is useless to debate these things with you.

They didn't.... You're the only one that thinks this. It's okay to admit you were wrong. If we were so dominant physically, why did we have just 100 yards rushing? Our D Line got pushed around for 3 quarters. Not sure what you saw to say we were a superior team.

How can you say that? They rushed for 337, we barely had 100. Both lines of scrimmage were dominated by them in the second half. It wasn't even close.

Seriously, what makes you think we were physically better?

But that's the thing; you can't take out those long runs. They happened and cherry picking a play or two here and there and saying "if we had just done this or done that, we would have been okay" is the same tired stuff we've been subjected to year after year. The defense gave up more than 300 yards on the ground. That's not good defense no matter how you slice it. Bottom line is that the coaching staff failed big time in this game, as did the players.
I know you can't take those out, just think the defense was better than the stats show. We turned it over 3 times in our own territory (?) and the Special Teams was a let down. I don't agree with all of the calls coaching, but there aren't too many points I would blame squarely on Kill and co

I know you can't take those out, just think the defense was better than the stats show. We turned it over 3 times in our own territory (?) and the Special Teams was a let down. I don't agree with all of the calls coaching, but there aren't too many points I would blame squarely on Kill and co

Defense did some good things and some really bad things. Offense was mostly bad and the special teams were awful. I guess with that being the case, the issue of whether it was more coaching or execution can be debated. What we can safely say is that neither coaching nor execution was on Missouri's level, especially after halftime.

Way too many mistakes and lack of execution cost us a win today. A few plays that I thought really changed momentum were the fake punt where Campbell and Williams had a chance to make the tackle and set us up with great field position really hurt, the 3rd & 1 jet sweep mixup, the Edwards drop, and the real game changer to me was the muffed punt by Jones which resulted in 6 points. I thought Mitch took a step forward in the passing game today and hope he can continue to gain consistency going forward with a few more weapons. Really disappointed in not being able to run the ball better today I thought especially after the first couple drives we were really gonna be able to have a solid day on the ground but Mizzou seemed to really adjust well around the 2nd quarter and make it tough for us on the ground. Doesn't excuse the formation and not being better prepared for a potential onside kick but wasn't Mizzou offsides on it? Everyone I was watching with sure thought so and it was a pretty big missed call.

Way too many mistakes and lack of execution cost us a win today. A few plays that I thought really changed momentum were the fake punt where Campbell and Williams had a chance to make the tackle and set us up with great field position really hurt, the 3rd & 1 jet sweep mixup, the Edwards drop, and the real game changer to me was the muffed punt by Jones which resulted in 6 points. I thought Mitch took a step forward in the passing game today and hope he can continue to gain consistency going forward with a few more weapons. Really disappointed in not being able to run the ball better today I thought especially after the first couple drives we were really gonna be able to have a solid day on the ground but Mizzou seemed to really adjust well around the 2nd quarter and make it tough for us on the ground. Doesn't excuse the formation and not being better prepared for a potential onside kick but wasn't Mizzou offsides on it? Everyone I was watching with sure thought so and it was a pretty big missed call.

Good post and analysis. Many things shared in this loss.

That's a hell of a job coaching and executing by Missouri. Fake punt and on side kick were brilliant. Changed momentum, helped equal the energy between the two teams. Pinked realized the Gophers were much more motivated and those 2 plays went a long way to leveling the motivation between the two teams.. Very, very impressed by Pinkel's coaching. Those 2 plays and the 2 2nd half turnovers are way too much for this team to overcome. Great effort, 2 huge mistakes and 2 excellent calls by Pinkel prove to be the difference.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes they were off sides, it was #10. And it was really clear in real time. Unfortunately, we didn't get that break. The player was so nonchalant and lazy, that he probably lulled the ref to sleep.

It's possible he got hurt but was able to come back in later.

It doesn't matter. Jones proved time and again he cannot judge the ball in the air. If the coaches can't recognize that IT IS ON THEM. Nobody else can field a punt but James or Jones? Jones is probably a great young man but he should never be allowed to field a punt, just like Freuchte shouldn't be running the ball.

Our coaches have a lot of great attributes but they are stubborn as hell. That is usually an asset in life but not always.

Related, it speaks volumes about Berkeley's hands that he isn't back there. Yet he's split out as a WR today.

It doesn't matter. Jones proved time and again he cannot judge the ball in the air. If the coaches can't recognize that IT IS ON THEM. Nobody else can field a punt but James or Jones? Jones is probably a great young man but he should never be allowed to field a punt, just like Freuchte shouldn't be running the ball.

Our coaches have a lot of great attributes but they are stubborn as hell. That is usually an asset in life but not always.

Related, it speaks volumes about Berkeley's hands that he isn't back there. Yet he's split out as a WR today.

You call it stubborn, I call it patient. What the Gophers football program needs is patience. We sucked for a long time. It takes a lot of pain to retool. however, skipping steps, just to win a meaningless bowl game doesn't help it hurts.

I think folks just got realize that we are on a slow methodical climb. No gimmicks.

If you need to gamble to win, you are not great, you are lucky. If Kill were getting lucky, I'd be disappointed. Instead, we lose, but at least the coaching staff showed patience. They did the things that got them here. Statistically speaking, one should focus on process not results. Kudos to coach Kill, for not falling victim to an all too human response.

I don't blame anyone for the disappointment, in any loss, but look at this objectively. Kill coaching in his manner, will win far more games than if he coached in your's or my manner.

Just think off all the criticisms we have leveled at him this year:
Leidner sucks
passing sucks
all we do is run.
too conservative.
don't go for scores before halftime.
Yada yada yada...

Break all that down, and note that we just took the SEC East Champion to task, and they needed gimmiks to beat us.

We can be disappointed we did not win today, but the direction, and method are correct. Be happy we over achieved. Not mad that coach didn't take a short cut, just to win a game that we we're a few breaks from winning anyhow.

3.5 quarters? They physically dominated us in the 2nd half. It wasn't even close.

I guess he doesn't count the holes their line opened and the way their backs outran our entire team as forms of domination.

How can you say that? They rushed for 337, we barely had 100. Both lines of scrimmage were dominated by them in the second half. It wasn't even close.

Seriously, what makes you think we were physically better?

This -Ray, their defensive end is projected to go in the top 10-15 in the draft , and the defensive tackle that ran the ball on the fake punt was the best inside D-lineman on either team.

What upsets me most about this game is the fans after the game rationalizing this loss and not being upset...seriously we are like Cubs fans, just happy to be there and there is always next year. I am sick of losing 50/50 games (we were not outclassed in terms of talent).

Kill was outclassed all day...his smug remark that we get the ball to start the 2nd half as reasoning for not being aggressive before half gave me a nice chuckle when they did not recover the on-side kick. Until the training wheels come off this offense I believe we are at the ceiling with this program. Remember this probably one of the weakest Big Ten's in a long time. If you do not trust Mitch in a bowl game after a full season of starting and extra practices what is going to change that in the offseason to make you think he can do this next year or the year after? Let him have the opportunity...confidence can be gained from opportunities.

The road to success us always under construction. Believe me, I appreciate coach Kill and his staff and do not want the fired (way out of line for anyone to say that right now) but if they aren't willing to take constructive criticism from each other, their peers, or have the humility to look in the mirror then we will not reach our potential. Kill has take us far but he needs to ask himself what is the next step. We see the same mistakes again and again. Players that can't reliably execute a high percent of the time should not be out there. I don't think that is undue criticism.

I wouldn't mind kill talking to Patterson about what it took for TCU to make changes that transformed their program in the space of one season. That is doable here.

Student checking in from Orlando. It was very exciting game for the majority, but it started getting comical towards the end. A painful loss, especially considering it's my first bowl game trip.

I was actually really disappointed with the stadium, though. The area around it wasn't the best (which has been mentioned here before) and stuff was just falling apart. Students are used to standing on the seats at TCF; they tried it here, and the seats actually broke and fell off. Security had to come up and clear out several sections to remove the broken seats and then policed the student section for the remainder to make sure students did step on the seats.

The tailgate was awesome, though. Very impressed by the set-up they had.

Top Bottom