*** OFFICIAL GOPHERS-IOWA GAME THREAD ***

Status
Not open for further replies.

This is a bizarre team, they look lost, apathetic and disorganized. I like Tubby as a guy, he seems nice, I think he does care about his athletes. But we can't pretend that this team doesn't look tired.

I didn't think they'd win the WI game, I honestly questioned their mental toughness to win a close game against an opponent who is used to playing close games. But after today, we're looking down the barrel at 6-9 in the Big 10 with 2 of our remaining 3 games on the road. We'll be lucky to go 8-10, more than likely looking at a 7-11 season.

I think it's time to move on from Tubby Smith.

+1. Well said bob.

Pretty gutless and heartless effort boys. I really thought we were going to get better coming off the snide with the OT win against Wisconsin.

this coach has to be trying to get fired? Is that plausible?take the 2.5M buyout and really retire?

Les Bolstad, you are right, I did get one thing right, people would call me an idiot for being dumb enough to continue to hold out hope. If I had been smart back in 1989, I would have just given up on the Gophers after they went 1-8 on the road in conf play. I could have spared myself the agony of watching them make the Sweet 16.

I understand your point, especially since I to loved that 1989 team and the 1990 team (which were made up of the same bunch of guys essentially). But it has been six years of largely the same stuff with Tubby. Clem had taken over a team that was gutted and had won 9 and 10 games respectively the previous two years. Therefore, 1989 represented a major step up and 1990 went even a step further. With Tubby, it's been the same stagnant situation for six years. And at this point, there appears to be no progress being made. If anything, it appears that regression has occured.

I a applaud you for your constant defense of the Coach. You have tried to raise doubts about Smart. (Althouh they won yesterday and are 9-2 in th 7th best RPI conference and going dancing a 3rd consecutive year before he is 36 but I digress.) If this team misses the NCAAs is it your opinion that it is time to move on.

Les Bolstad, you are right, I did get one thing right, people would call me an idiot for being dumb enough to continue to hold out hope. If I had been smart back in 1989, I would have just given up on the Gophers after they went 1-8 on the road in conf play. I could have spared myself the agony of watching them make the Sweet 16.

We just got outscored by THIRTY SEVEN f-ing points after our quick start.

That is unacceptable. This team clearly quit on its coach.

I was hoping beating Wisconsin would be a nice confidence boost and for seven minutes it looked like it might be, but that was a far worse stretch than anything we endured with Monson, worse than the Clemson game even.

1. gophers lost.
2. GopherHole melts down.
3. The End.

Good luck in your retirement Tubby. Maybe you can beg and plead one of your old coaching buddies to hire your dead beat son. I would be shocked to see Tubby coach at another school, he isn't that attractive for a bigger school with his age and failures here. I also just don't think he wants to work hard enough to start something new.

Hope tubby says "I can't explain why my teams can't figure out a 2-3 zone, could have something to do with me not knowing how to design an offense.

Agree. Would love to hear him say he's not doing a good enough job, even once. But he won't. Not in his nature, as we've seen multiple times before.

Very disappointing finish to the game after a great start. Again the trouble with the zone defense and you gotta think a lot of teams are going to play zone against us from here on out. Gonna be a tough game in Columbus with the way Ohio State was beat today, gotta think we will see 2 vey angry teams going at on Wednesday and hope the Gophers can find a way to win that one.

Well gang, mnsports255 did it. He is now on record as the youngest poster to be banned.

mnsports255
mnsports255 is online now Banned

Some of us tried to warn him and slow him down, but he was and has been pretty relentless. Maybe his mom will give him a new pacifier?

1. gophers lost.
2. GopherHole melts down.
3. The End.

1. Gophers lose badly again
2. Former proctologist's head still up Tubby's a$$
3. Old man enters nursing home where his "wisdom" and beer jokes entertain the other residents, the end.

We're going to lose a game that we led by 16 by 15 + points. It's as epic of a collapse as I've seen. Tubby now has to find a way to beat OSU or Indiana or his seat will be back to blazin' hot.

Yeah, you don't get off the hot seat by beating a team at home that you're favored by 4-1/2 against, especially when you follow it up with this. I don't want Tubby to lose his job, but I don't want to see any more of this crap either.

A 21 point loss, blowing a 16 point lead against a terrible Iowa team is absolutely embarrassing. Our lack of showing any type of an approach to a simple 2-3 zone is baffling. But this is not new, folks. We have not been able to attack a zone since Tubby hit Dinkytown. I really hope the new sheriff (Norwood) shows some stones and pulls the plug on Tubby. Might be the only way to keep Gopher fans from going from outrage to outright apathy.

I predict there will be plenty of media talk aabout this.

There's certainly a lot of wife talk about this at our house. She's going on and on about, what the hell is he doing / thinking. I would like to have an answer for her.

this coach has to be trying to get fired? Is that plausible?take the 2.5M buyout and really retire?

That's not a joke. Conceding this game so early - a huuuuge, critical game - feels like he's conceding his job. I would love to know what's going on in his head. The only thing I can think of is, if you're going to quit on me, then I'm going to quit on you, too.

MrJ --

Regression?? We have the highest RPI rating we've ever had since they invented the RPI. How is that regression?!

And we have gotten to this point with NO BENCH whatsoever.

So we literally live or die according to our starting 5, almost without exception. 3 of them show up to play, we win. 2 of them show up to play, well, then its a toss up. Only 1 shows up, we lose. Of if they simply give up like it seems they did today, we lose.

I understand that being outscored by 37 points after going up by 16 is well, words escape me actually, BUT...

A quick look at the Sagarin Ratings of the teams who have beaten us will show you that we are winning the games we should and losing the games we should, with 3 exceptions. The two Illinois games are flip-flopped, but that is easily explained by simply looking at their 3 point shooting percentages in those 2 games.

That leaves us with the one bad loss, the NW game. But still, it was a ROAD game. And NW did also beat Baylor and one other Top 50 RPI team on the ROAD this year. So its not like we were the only team to lose a bad game. And Kansas losing to TCU was ten times as worse of a loss.

So we are probably going to lose our next two games. We might have to be happy to finish 8-10 in regular conf play.

But then the 2nd season starts. First the BTT, then the NCAA tournament.

UConn went into a Big East tournament as the 9th seed in the tourney. Won the tourney, went into the NCAA tourney as a #3 seed and went on to win the NCAA Championship.

Not saying thats what we are going to do, but if UConn could do that after their horrible conf season, there is still hope that we could make the tourney and get to the Sweet 16 or maybe even the Elite 8.

Hey, Tubby could coach us into an NIT first round loss, too. Not predicting anything. Just saying that both possibilities are about equally likely.

THERE!!! Right there!!! I told you so. Big10guy is the first to come here after the game and call Iowa a "terrible team".

Told you so.

Funny thing is, come Monday morning, Iowa's going to be ranked right up with Illinois in all of the computer polls, cept the RPI which has Iowa rated pretty badly. But that is the exception to the rule, all the other computer ratings have Iowa rated pretty good.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Bottom