*** OFFICIAL GOPHERS-IOWA GAME THREAD ***

Status
Not open for further replies.
my guess is 3-2 and will prolly still be on top afterwards. Guy is a dream candidate to the rest of the country but not according to mr rpi. Let alone a Final 4 followed by a second round exit and has a great recruiting class coming in. None of that suggestsa a flash in the pan. This guy at 36 is young and hungry and would be on any coaching list if a vacancy opens up. Me personally i think he waits for a top 10 job.

Rivergopher --

What makes you think they'll go 3-2? Will they beat Butler at home?

As for the 3 road games, they really haven't been tested on the road yet, St Louis is rated #45 in the RPI, hardly a pushover. Xavier is #98, but will still be their 4th toughest road game of the year at that point. Temple is #49 in the RPI.

I could see them beating Richmond at home, and if they do pull off 2 wins, the 2nd would most likely be vs Xavier.

They have 5 more games left, four of them vs the #2, #3, #5 and #7 teams in the conference, with 3 of those 4 games being road games, and the one home game being against the highest rated team in the conference, Butler.

Sorry, but nothing they've done so far this season makes me think they'll be able to win more than 2 of those 5 games.

I've never seen anyone cheer so hard AGAINST VCU. No, no agenda here.

I watch a lot of the A-10 and have seen a lot of those teams play multiple times. 3-2 is just a guess but your missing the point by focusing exclusively on this season. He has taken a good program and made it even better. (6 NCAA wins in two years and my guess is they get one this year) You never addressed his recruiting he has a great class for VCU coming in, all 3 have Top 6 offers and the big center has around 6 BCS offer. His program is in great shape to have sustained success and be a power in that league (who knows how long it will be there) and jump up nationally and have an impact every once in a while. You focus on the numbers to much, the guy is a really good X's and O's coach to, makes really good in game adjustments. There was a really good article in ESPN the magazine about a player but it dove into a lot of Smart's coaching philosophy and style. Not that national pundits know everything but everything you hear is positive. My guess is you really haven't seen them play except for the Bahamas. If the Gophers are forced to make a change he is at the top of my list and I can guarantee the top of our AD's. He would be a top of the list guy for anyone in the country but you feel you have to run him down to keep "balance" whether he is the next gopher coach or not the guy is a hungry 36 year old coach that has great things in front of him and I would love it to be here.

Rivergopher --

What makes you think they'll go 3-2? Will they beat Butler at home?

As for the 3 road games, they really haven't been tested on the road yet, St Louis is rated #45 in the RPI, hardly a pushover. Xavier is #98, but will still be their 4th toughest road game of the year at that point. Temple is #49 in the RPI.

I could see them beating Richmond at home, and if they do pull off 2 wins, the 2nd would most likely be vs Xavier.

They have 5 more games left, four of them vs the #2, #3, #5 and #7 teams in the conference, with 3 of those 4 games being road games, and the one home game being against the highest rated team in the conference, Butler.

Sorry, but nothing they've done so far this season makes me think they'll be able to win more than 2 of those 5 games.

It's Minnesota Pride. He's already acknowledged it. Posters that have been around here for awhile should be familiar with him. He used to post nonstop about Minnesota being the cradle of coaches. The good news he usually is temporary. He'll be here awhile; then he'll go away for a long time.

WilliamsArenaGuy is exactly right, on ALL counts.

I used to go by the moniker MinnesotaPride, and never any other.

I am NOT a friend of Tubby. Just feel compelled to defend whoever is being ganged up on and attacked. Back in the day, that was Glen Mason. Wasn't a friend of his either, but I sure did enjoy watching the Gopher football team TEN TIMES MORE when he was coach than I have since he's been gone. It was a little bit of a gimmick, but we could at least be proud of being the #1 Rushing Team in the Country, breaking NCAA records even. We had a number of players win Natl Awards. We got mentioned in Natl Magazines on occasion, with one idiot columnist predicting we'd win the Big Ten Title. I let that idiot get into my head and lost a 50 dollar bet that season, lol. But its far better to get mentioned as a candidate to win the Title by an idiot than to get completely ignored and completely irrelevant every year. And that is what I feared would happen if we fired him. And guess what?! Thats whats happened. And its what I fear could happen if we just up and fire Tubby Smith.

Tubby should get us to our 3rd NCAA tournament in 6 years. No other coach in all of Gopher history can claim this. Granted it was tougher to get into the NCAA tourney back in the day, but still....

I still think Minnesota is the REAL Cradle of Coaches, and I hope Marc Trestman wins multiple Super Bowls and continues this nice little tradition.

And yes, the good news for those who do not appreciate what I post, or my long winded way of posting what I do, is that I only come here for a season and then I'll go away, the longer I'm away the better, because I have lots of life to live, and things to do. I enjoy my occasional winter vacation sitting around watching gopher sports and chit chatting about gopher sports, but would probably have to off myself if I ever ended up doing this more than once every 5-10 years.

rivergopher --

Not trying to run him down, so much as just trying to grab onto some of you allz feet and keep you from flying up into the clowds over the guy. People seem to just go ga-ga over the guy. Coaches have in the past, had single season runs and then got all kinds of buzz after the fact, only to disappear from people's lips and pens and typewriters a few years later when they didn't follow up with a 2nd hit single.

The definition of a one hit wonder, implies that the ONE HIT, was truly a REALLY GOOD SONG, a big hit. Smart and VCU's run to the FF was truly incredible. They weren't his players, which could bode well for him? Or could end up being something akin to Tubby getting a title at Kentucky?! The fact those players didn't get to a FF the year before Smart got there, bodes well for him, but until I see what he does with his own players, not only in the next few games vs the heart of VCU's scedule, but then in the A-10 Conf Tourney, and in the Big Dance if they make it, I'm not going to get too excited about the guy. I like his youth, thats not a negative, necessarily.

But getting in some good recruits means next to diddly nothing until we can see if those recruits actually pan out once they get to VCU, if he develops them or not, if he gets them to play well together, if he can keep them around, if he can keep them going to class and out of trouble, etc., etc., etc.. He's only in his 3rd year for heaven's sake. We honestly don't know much about him at all.

rivergopher --

Not trying to run him down, so much as just trying to grab onto some of you allz feet and keep you from flying up into the clowds over the guy. People seem to just go ga-ga over the guy. Coaches have in the past, had single season runs and then got all kinds of buzz after the fact, only to disappear from people's lips and pens and typewriters a few years later when they didn't follow up with a 2nd hit single.

The definition of a one hit wonder, implies that the ONE HIT, was truly a REALLY GOOD SONG, a big hit. Smart and VCU's run to the FF was truly incredible. They weren't his players, which could bode well for him? Or could end up being something akin to Tubby getting a title at Kentucky?! The fact those players didn't get to a FF the year before Smart got there, bodes well for him, but until I see what he does with his own players, not only in the next few games vs the heart of VCU's scedule, but then in the A-10 Conf Tourney, and in the Big Dance if they make it, I'm not going to get too excited about the guy. I like his youth, thats not a negative, necessarily.

But getting in some good recruits means next to diddly nothing until we can see if those recruits actually pan out once they get to VCU, if he develops them or not, if he gets them to play well together, if he can keep them around, if he can keep them going to class and out of trouble, etc., etc., etc.. He's only in his 4th year for heaven's sake. We honestly don't know much about him at all.

Another thing to take note of, is Alabama hired his predecessor for a reason. Seems a player from the team just prior to Smart starting, got drafted in the 1st round of the NBA draft. Then, another one of his predecessor's players again got drafted in the 1st round of the NBA draft right after Smart's first season. Seems his predecessor was bringing in some pretty decent players?! Not a bad bunch to inherit?! He coached his predecessors players to a very good 27-10 record and a CBI Title that first season.

His 2nd season they went 23-11, and did not win the Conf Title, but lost to Old Dominion?! ODU is not exactly an NCAA powerhouse. And their getting into the tournament as an at-large bid was criticized by many. Meaning, they BARELY got in.

Meaning, his coaching job up to that point, didn't really impress too many. It was his coaching performance in the next 5 games that impressed so many.

Since then, he got his 3rd season's team to the 2nd round. Could be a sign of fading back into the pack?! His new incoming players not being as good as the ones he inherited from his predecessor?! Or as so many here have chosen to view it, it could be a very good sign that he got them back to the tournament, and even won a game.

Now in his 4th season, he's almost rid of all of his predecessors old recruits, and they are doing well, SO FAR, this season, but have really not played that tough of opponents so far. Their wins in the Bahamas were nice, but Minnesota got some wins down there, too. Its the 2nd time Tubby's taken a team down to one of those tournaments and done very well. Look where that got us so far?!

They have 5 tough games to play to finish out the regular season, and then have a conf tourney with some good teams in it that they may have to beat to get their resume looking good enough?! Depends on how their RPI does if they lose some of their next couple of games?

If they fall short of the tourney, or lose in the first round, it could be a sign of continuing to fade back even more, or it could just be a calm before the storm, a pause before the next wave of success?! I'm sorry for thinking this way, but this should take more time to be figured out. Maybe I'm not willing to take a risk? But I'm not the AD either, so it will be up to him, if Smart would even want this job?! He might make the gamble, and if he does, I hope all of you are right and the gamble pays off. If it doesn't, I'll even be nice and not rub it in too much that I warned everyone to give him more time to see what he can do.

I thought that hiring Kill was a gamble, and it seems like it just might be paying off, but again, it will take time to know one way or the other.

I'd have preferred to hire Trestman right after we got rid of Mason. I'd maybe be more comfortable with Flip, though I understand there would be a degree of risk there as well. Maybe all of the coaches I'd be comfortable with us hiring, already have better jobs elsewhere and would never come here?!

It's probably a good thing that I'm not the one in charge that may have to make this decision.

Eric maynor was the one drafted. Lets be glad that neither of us are making that decision. So your ripping on him for losing to an ODU team that made the tourney and lost by two points to eventual runner-up Butler, hmmm. I guess we will agree to disagree. We didnt take recruiting into consideration when we hired tubby and that has led to where we are. Kentucky fans warned us on that fact that the recruiting game had passed him by. When i look at a hire i look at the entirety of a program and who he is getting in recruiting matters to me. Look at his current roster (I shouldn't care this much about VCU but you obviously have the time) Graham-soph best player, Reddic Jr- best inside guy, Weber SO- leading the country in steals and leader for a-10 defensive player of the year. They have two seniors and with before mentioned recruiting class coming in that once again screams to me of sustained league success and a chance to jump up and have national success. He also plays a style of ball called Havoc which is up and down which you can sell to kids. (I know all coaches say this but if you watch VCU that is the way they play) Not sure that style will translate here but like it or not it is a selling point. You are underselling the CAA at the time i think too but different argument. Following up a ff4 with another ncaa win and close loss to ind, at a school at the level of vcu is no one hit wonder. I could care less if they lose the next 5, this a guy I want if we have to make a change.

QUOTE=#1nHkyCfbBsbDncSolarDebat;661478]rivergopher --

But getting in some good recruits means next to diddly nothing until we can see if those recruits actually pan out once they get to VCU, if he develops them or not, if he gets them to play well together, if he can keep them around, if he can keep them going to class and out of trouble, etc., etc., etc.. He's only in his 4th year for heaven's sake. We honestly don't know much about him at all.

Another thing to take note of, is Alabama hired his predecessor for a reason. Seems a player from the team just prior to Smart starting, got drafted in the 1st round of the NBA draft. Then, another one of his predecessor's players again got drafted in the 1st round of the NBA draft right after Smart's first season. Seems his predecessor was bringing in some pretty decent players?! Not a bad bunch to inherit?! He coached his predecessors players to a very good 27-10 record and a CBI Title that first season.

His 2nd season they went 23-11, and did not win the Conf Title, but lost to Old Dominion?! ODU is not exactly an NCAA powerhouse. And their getting into the tournament as an at-large bid was criticized by many. Meaning, they BARELY got in.

Meaning, his coaching job up to that point, didn't really impress too many. It was his coaching performance in the next 5 games that impressed so many.

Since then, he got his 3rd season's team to the 2nd round. Could be a sign of fading back into the pack?! His new incoming players not being as good as the ones he inherited from his predecessor?! Or as so many here have chosen to view it, it could be a very good sign that he got them back to the tournament, and even won a game.

Now in his 4th season, he's almost rid of all of his predecessors old recruits, and they are doing well, SO FAR, this season, but have really not played that tough of opponents so far. Their wins in the Bahamas were nice, but Minnesota got some wins down there, too. Its the 2nd time Tubby's taken a team down to one of those tournaments and done very well. Look where that got us so far?!

They have 5 tough games to play to finish out the regular season, and then have a conf tourney with some good teams in it that they may have to beat to get their resume looking good enough?! Depends on how their RPI does if they lose some of their next couple of games?

If they fall short of the tourney, or lose in the first round, it could be a sign of continuing to fade back even more, or it could just be a calm before the storm, a pause before the next wave of success?! I'm sorry for thinking this way, but this should take more time to be figured out. Maybe I'm not willing to take a risk? But I'm not the AD either, so it will be up to him, if Smart would even want this job?! He might make the gamble, and if he does, I hope all of you are right and the gamble pays off. If it doesn't, I'll even be nice and not rub it in too much that I warned everyone to give him more time to see what he can do.

I thought that hiring Kill was a gamble, and it seems like it just might be paying off, but again, it will take time to know one way or the other.

I'd have preferred to hire Trestman right after we got rid of Mason. I'd maybe be more comfortable with Flip, though I understand there would be a degree of risk there as well. Maybe all of the coaches I'd be comfortable with us hiring, already have better jobs elsewhere and would never come here?!

It's probably a good thing that I'm not the one in charge that may have to make this decision.[/QUOTE]

MrJ --

Hey, before I say anything else, I have to say that your last few posts are the kinds of posts that I enjoy reading. All of them have been critical of Tubby and the team, and a few of me and/or my analysis, but you've also conceded to at least one or two of the points I've been trying to make, and doing that draws me in and makes me far more likely to take your opinion seriously.

thought our conversation was headed in a bad direction and all of a sudden it changed, and I think it was you who seemed to change. You just seemed to tone down your negativity, and wow, go figure, now I've enjoyed our discussion the last few posts.

I hope we can continue in this manner in the future, whether the team wins or loses.

I usually try to enter into message board conversations with an open mind. I have my opinions and they're usually quite strong, but I try to make sure I am open to other points of view. Again, I TRY to do this as much as possible, but I have to admit I'm not always successful at maintaining some level of balance to my comments.

Neverthess, I think that trying to understand varying points of view is important. Helps maintain that aforementioned sense of balance, which is often lacking in message board dialogue. Glad you enjoyed my last few posts and appreciate the kind words. ;)

Look forward to more discussion in the future.

OK, the good Dr.Don has declared that there are entirely too many lengthy posts that require the Library of Congress to keep track of things.

Shorten the messages please. Otherwise most of us can't remember start to end of anything that is worth remembering and as a result, Oh $hit, I can't remember what I was gonna say, and as a result I can't remember what I was gonna say and I then repeat myself all over again.

OK, the good Dr.Don has declared that there are entirely too many lengthy posts that require the Library of Congress to keep track of things.

Shorten the messages please. Otherwise most of us can't remember start to end of anything that is worth remembering and as a result, Oh $hit, I can't remember what I was gonna say, and as a result I can't remember what I was gonna say and I then repeat myself all over again.

You were going to say something about people bitching too much.

9-2? Yeah?! SO WHAT!!!!

Have you seen who they've played so far?! Minnesota would be 10-1 vs the same scedule!!!! We actually beat Richmond, something VCU hasn't done this year.

Or do you people even do any research before posting some of your opinions?!

And Shaka Smart's VCU team is ranked #35 in the RPI right now. Kind of floating close to the bubble. Especially with their next 4 games being

@ St Louis,
@ Xavier
vs Butler
vs Richmond - a team they've already lost to.

FIRST TIME ALL YEAR they will be playing anything close to the kind of scedule that Minnesota has to play in conf.

VCU goes 0-4 vs those 4 teams and all you Fire Tubby guys should vow never to mention his name again.
If VCU goes 4-0 vs those 4 teams, I'll become the President of the Hire Shaka Smart Club.

But more realistically, VCU will probably go 2-2 vs those 4 teams. Where will that put them in terms of RPI ranking?

If they go 1-3, they won't even be considered a bubble team anymore. If they go 2-2, my guess is they'll still be a bubble team. 3-1 and they'll start getting mentions for the better seeds in the tourney. If they go 4-0, they might move way up?!

Like I said, JURY IS STILL OUT on Shaka Smart.

Tubby looked pretty damn impressive after his first few years as a head coach as well.

Are you still singing the same tune????????? VCU is ranked, Minnesota is not! Shaka is better than you give him credit for. Shaka 2013!!

Yes, I'm still singing the same tune, and guess what, not going to have to be the President of the Hire Shaka Smart Fan Club, because the very first game of that 4 game stretch?! Yeah, DOWN GOES SHAKA!!!!

And it wasn't even close. 14 pt margin of defeat. They lost by 12 to Richmond and by 8 to LaSalle AT HOME.

And its actually a 5 game stretch, because their last game of the season is a tough road game as well vs Temple.

Yes, I'm still singing the same tune, and guess what, not going to have to be the President of the Hire Shaka Smart Fan Club, because the very first game of that 4 game stretch?! Yeah, DOWN GOES SHAKA!!!!

And it wasn't even close. 14 pt margin of defeat. They lost by 12 to Richmond and by 8 to LaSalle AT HOME.

And its actually a 5 game stretch, because their last game of the season is a tough road game as well vs Temple.

You're right, Shaka lost to St Louis last night, who by the way is also ranked higher than the Gophers. St Louis will be in the Top 25 Monday! Sorry, but your arguments against Shaka are pretty weak. St Louis is one of the hottest teams in the country. Shaka will be dancing and Tubby will be sitting. After this season is over, Shaka will already have more NCAA appearances than Tubby has since he's step foot on campus 6 years ago. 14 margin of defeat?? How about the 21 point defeat that Iowa just handed Tubby; the biggest margin of victory for the Hawkeyes this year.

Serious?! lol

VCU is ranked 24, UMn 27 in the AP poll.

VCU is ranked 24, UMn 21 in Cbc Top 25+1 rating.

VCU is ranked 30, UMn 17 in the Sagarin Rating.

VCU is ranked 36, UMn 15 in the RPI rating.

VCU is ranked 22, UMn 14 in the Ken-Pom.

And sure St Louis might be ranked next week, so what?! I'm not talking about the St Louis Coach, but the VCU coach. And VCU WILL NOT be ranked come next week if they don't win their next game.

They have 2 more road games vs teams ranked, #52 and #98. And don't go thinking a win over #98 Xavier is an automatic win, they couldn't beat #82 Richmond. And then they have a game vs #21 Butler at home.

If Shaka's the superstar coach you all think he is, well then, he should easily be able to win all 3 of those games, eh?!

And I see that you are honestly predicting that the Gophers aren't going to make the NCAA tourney?! LMAO!!!!!

OK. Guess we'll just have to wait and see about that now won't we?!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Bottom