***OFFICIAL ARKANSAS PINE BLUFF AT MINNESOTA IN-GAME THREAD!!!***

What you see is what you get!!

BJ not willing to go zone inspite of APB clearly having the advantage with the dribble drive. Great adjustment by their coach but not from Ben. It worked when he finally gave it a chance. I was screaming at the TV but to no avail. Where is his great D mentor Thorson when Ben needs it?

They finally tried to establish the post but with limited success. Lots of ops but guys weren't able to execute. Best ball movement probably all season.

Confidence builder for Carrington and Battle but not so much for JOJ and PP. Why did Ben put TT out there instead of JOJ? Another head scratcher.

A low point for Gopher hoops. Desultory High school size crowd, struggle with an absolutely talent-less APB team that wont win 10 games in a shit league. Awful

A low point for Gopher hoops. Desultory High school size crowd, struggle with an absolutely talent-less APB team that wont win 10 games in a shit league. Awful
Clem Haskins' freshmen team was lower.

I just find it a bit concerning that they HAD to go to a zone in this one to win it. Anyone else?

Didn't watch, is there a reason JOJ and Payne played such low minutes? What do you guys think of Samuels starting? Will he continue to, or was this a matchup situation? How did we look with him starting? Thank you.

Fun to see Carrington and Battle dropping shots from 3. A good shooting game overall. Except for Payne we have no inside game. Both Garcia and Thompson are soft in the paint at 6'11" and 7'.
The rotation is starting to shake out as Ben finds his guys who he can trust. Baby steps, but a nice win tonight
Clap the trap and watch then.

I just find it a bit concerning that they HAD to go to a zone in this one to win it. Anyone else?
It was concerning, but necessary, due to our inability to defend their penetration by players with quickness that left our defenders -- who often fell for a shot fake -- flat footed. I was at the game and was pleading for a switch to a zone defense earlier in the game. Don’t know if they heard me -- which wouldn’t have be hard, given the pathetic attendance -- but we eventually inserted Thompson, who usually plays when we play zone; and that turned the tide in our favor.

The good.
Carrington shooting 3's & free throws
Battle got it going on offense
Garcia very good all around game
Doing what they needed to do once APB came out with in the 2nd half

The Bad
Cooper having to play all 40 minutes and BJ not allowing anyone else to try to run the offence against a very bad team
TT getting any sort of playing time is baffling to me. He is just so uncomfortable on the court
JOJ/Payne/Henley getting 29 total minutes
just how bad we are defensively
gave up 10 O-boards

The good.
Carrington shooting 3's & free throws
Battle got it going on offense
Garcia very good all around game
Doing what they needed to do once APB came out with in the 2nd half

The Bad
Cooper having to play all 40 minutes and BJ not allowing anyone else to try to run the offence against a very bad team
TT getting any sort of playing time is baffling to me. He is just so uncomfortable on the court
JOJ/Payne/Henley getting 29 total minutes
just how bad we are defensively
gave up 10 O-boards
Maybe someone with more discerning eyes than mine can answer: are they getting any better defensively? They seem terrible at hedging, they switch and get caught in bad mismatches. Last night it seemed, at times, they just realized the opponent can dribble.

Maybe someone with more discerning eyes than mine can answer: are they getting any better defensively? They seem terrible at hedging, they switch and get caught in bad mismatches. Last night it seemed, at times, they just realized the opponent can dribble.
their man to man defense is jaw droppingly bad. especially on the perimeter. And other then payne we do not have a defensive shot blocking type guy that can/wants to help. opposing teams know this so they just attack knowing we have nothing behind their guy to worry about

and how "slow" we are on the defensive end has me in awe as well.

It was concerning, but necessary, due to our inability to defend their penetration by players with quickness that left our defenders -- who often fell for a shot fake -- flat footed. I was at the game and was pleading for a switch to a zone defense earlier in the game. Don’t know if they heard me -- which wouldn’t have be hard, given the pathetic attendance -- but we eventually inserted Thompson, who usually plays when we play zone; and that turned the tide in our favor.
Going zone is no surprise as many of us here felt that the boys are not good M/M defenders. I was thinking zone going into halftime. What is surprising me is that it took Ben that long to finally switch to zone.

Going zone is no surprise as many of us here felt that the boys are not good M/M defenders. I was thinking zone going into halftime. What is surprising me is that it took Ben that long to finally switch to zone.
Too be fair, Pine Bluff missed a lot of open 3s when we played zone.
We're young and learning. The zone did change the pace and that helped so kudos to Ben on the switch.
This season can best be described by the phrase "It is what it is." Best to watch for progress rather than final success.

Too be fair, Pine Bluff missed a lot of open 3s when we played zone.
We're young and learning. The zone did change the pace and that helped so kudos to Ben on the switch.
This season can best be described by the phrase "It is what it is." Best to watch for progress rather than final success.

Can we stop with this “we are young” crap? Look at the minutes played last night, upper class starters played 40, 33, 33, and 25 minutes. That is not young. A single freshmen playing 29 minutes doesn’t make us young.

I'm really not the biggest Thompson fan, BUT why do we seem so successful when he plays zone? Sample size, but still....

their man to man defense is jaw droppingly bad. especially on the perimeter. And other then payne we do not have a defensive shot blocking type guy that can/wants to help. opposing teams know this so they just attack knowing we have nothing behind their guy to worry about

and how "slow" we are on the defensive end has me in awe as well.
Tightening up to a pack line defense may be helpful as our individual persons are not blazingly quick, laterally. Make the other team chuck it from the cheap seats and keep it compact.

Can we stop with this “we are young” crap? Look at the minutes played last night, upper class starters played 40, 33, 33, and 25 minutes. That is not young. A single freshmen playing 29 minutes doesn’t make us young.
After 11 games? No, we cannot. These kids are learning and progressing. It will be this way for another 15 games or more. You have to live with the process. There is much to learn oh padawan.

No, thought it was the right move against this team, it was clear they couldn't shoot from three, gave all the guys run in the game to work on things and went to it in winning time. There's some teams where going zone will back fire, but this isn't one of them

We have the unique combination of youth and veteran inexperience if you take an honest look at this roster. Battle was here last year, Thompson was physically here last year, Garcia played high major basketball, after that, it's pretty bleak on the experience front

Top Bottom