Official 2023 Gophers Football Recruiting Thread: Links, Tweets, Videos, Rumors

The Gophers really need to land some of their top targets (Howard, Moss, etc) if they plan on staying out of the bottom 1/3 of the B1G recruiting rankings when those rankings actually matter in December. It goes without saying, but Howard would be such a big get for this program going beyond just his star ranking/talent.

I am sure we will see a number of bat signals between say Sunday and Tuesday but who those bat signals are for is going to be way more important than the number sent out.

The Gophers really need to land some of their top targets (Howard, Moss, etc) if they plan on staying out of the bottom 1/3 of the B1G recruiting rankings when those rankings actually matter in December. Itgoes without saying, but Howard would be such a big get for this program going beyond just his star ranking/talent.

I am sure we will see a number of bat signals between say Sunday and Tuesday but who those bat signals are for is going to be way more important than the number sent out.
Someone was looking at getting into an argument today lol 😆😉

The Gophers really need to land some of their top targets (Howard, Moss, etc) if they plan on staying out of the bottom 1/3 of the B1G recruiting rankings when those rankings actually matter in December. It goes without saying, but Howard would be such a big get for this program going beyond just his star ranking/talent.

Totally agree on the need to land top targets....that is a need every year. But where the recruiting sites rank us in the Big Ten is not important now or in December.

I have no doubt Fleck will pull out all the stops this weekend and I would also expect to see a lot of activity in terms of commitments. Unlikely that Howard will make a commitment though until after he completes all his scheduled visits.

I disagree, I think it's important to land as many players as they can that they've identified as players they want. Moss is rated a 4 star but where are his offers? Bryan who committed to us 2 months ago is rated a fair amount lower and had similar offers. I think the O-linemen and LB visitors are just as important to lock up even though they aren't rated particularly high. I'd be happy to get Moss, but I don't think cb is a huge priority, and I don't think the fact that he is rated a 4 star makes him more of a priority compared to some lower rated guys at other positions. Now Howard would be the exception, as dline is a coveted position, and the momentum for instate recruiting could be huge down the road if Fleck can land him.

The first of many commitments from the visitors this weekend.

does the media have an official list of who’s here this weekend? I’ve read “close to 30” beginning of the week to 24 and now down to 19?

does the media have an official list of who’s here this weekend? I’ve read “close to 30” beginning of the week to 24 and now down to 19?
Regular non paid 247 shows 24 visitors and their headline says 19 uncommitted. That's all I got.

This is just from different sources, but all the commits except Elliott (who will be here next weekend) are here. In addition, here are the non commits listed:
WR Manning from MD same HS as current Gopher Ike White
WR Cooley from NC
WR Hayes from GA
TE Orwerth from MO
OT Mister from IN
OG Daniels from OH
DT Gadson GA
DT Davis MN
DE Howard MN
DE Williams LA
DE Menz ND
LB McCutchin TX
CB Moss LA
S Cole FL
That is all I have seen from guys not verballed. Some guys show up last minute and others decide not to go for various reasons. Almost all the prospects have other visits scheduled after this. Those that don’t, are more likely to commit, while there is still room. Guys like Gadson, Howard, Moss, Williams can wait.

Guessing they don’t take a third TE in Orwerth then, but they are pretty thin at the position.
I wouldn't read a ton into what position a guy is listed at in their recruiting profile. No guarantee that is where the team is projecting that player to play in a few years.

I think one year Mase had 7 listed on the roster IIRC
Mase actually had six QBs in the recruiting class of 2004. Tony Mortensen was the only one who logged significant time at QB for the Gophers.. John Carlson from Hopkins was recruited as a QB but moved to defense. The other four were David Wess from Ohio, Antwan Sloan El from Pennsylvania, Mike Maciejowski from Ohio, and Adam Ernst who was a JC QB from California.

I could never quite figure out what was happening in that class. Mason did get a couple of big-time contributors in Gary Russell and Willie VanDeSteeg and some other guys who did fairly well, but it was an oddly-grouped class. Zero OLs.

Mase actually had six QBs in the recruiting class of 2004. Tony Mortensen was the only one who logged significant time at QB for the Gophers.. John Carlson from Hopkins was recruited as a QB but moved to defense. The other four were David Wess from Ohio, Antwan Sloan El from Pennsylvania, Mike Maciejowski from Ohio, and Adam Ernst who was a JC QB from California.

I could never quite figure out what was happening in that class. Mason did get a couple of big-time contributors in Gary Russell and Willie VanDeSteeg and some other guys who did fairly well, but it was an oddly-grouped class. Zero OLs.

Thanks for clarifying and the excellent details - that’s what I was thinking of.

Top Bottom